Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Obama refuses to Call Armenian Genocide a Genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama refuses to Call Armenian Genocide a Genocide

I don't feel that I am being synical, but this is simply my point of view. This government is driven by financial and resource gain. Do you see the US alienating Turkey in favor of Armenia? There has been verbal recognition of the Genocide since the times of Wilsons' presidency. Verbal recognition without any form of action seems almost worthless in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatusVaginalian View Post
      I don't feel that I am being cynical, but this is simply my point of view. This government is driven by financial and resource gain. Do you see the US alienating Turkey in favor of Armenia? There has been verbal recognition of the Genocide since the times of Wilsons' presidency. Verbal recognition without any form of action seems almost worthless in my humble opinion.
      I see where your coming from, let me restate it then.If I took your position I would think I was being a cynic, but you seem to subscribe more to a real politic principles.
      When It comes to real politic I'm like the Turkish government regarding the Genocide. I may acknowledge some forms of it exist (but,not without justification) but refuse to recognize it, so for me recognition of real politic is impossible since it doesn't benefit me or my cause, but acknowledging it is possible, as long as there's a consensus of truth (through collaboration) out there and a fork in the road of real-politic.

Since our aim is to be that fork in the road for Turkey, they must deal with us and our concerns.
      "All truth passes through three stages:
      First, it is ridiculed;
      Second, it is violently opposed; and
      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

As long as US and Israel continue with their current foreign policies which hasn’t change in the last 60 years the AG will never be and it cannot be allowed to officially be recognized. The way everything has been freaking setup it would be like shooting yourself in the foot as a President if you recognize it……without Turkey’s support for example Israel would be a sitting duck and may have to prepare for an all out defensive war.

Regardless Armenians must never stop pushing for the recognition because even though we know it won’t pass due to Greed and power to control the ME (which cannot be done without their puppet State Turkey) that will always be above obligation to the Morality and the truth of AG.

For us to give up would be a great psychological and strategic defeat which will give Turkey exactly the type of political victory that they have been pushing for since the beginning.

I am going to the little Armenia tomorrow knowing very well that it will not pass. We must increase the pressure every year no matter what……you never know what the Geo-politics of the future might be and we must put ourselves in a position to take full advantage of that when the time comes.
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
          As long as US and Israel continue with their current foreign policies which hasn’t change in the last 60 years the AG will never be and it cannot be allowed to officially be recognized. The way everything has been freaking setup it would be like shooting yourself in the foot as a President if you recognize it……without Turkey’s support for example Israel would be a sitting duck and may have to prepare for an all out defensive war.

Regardless Armenians must never stop pushing for the recognition because even though we know it won’t pass due to Greed and power to control the ME (which cannot be done without their puppet State Turkey) that will always be above obligation to the Morality and the truth of AG.

For us to give up would be a great psychological and strategic defeat which will give Turkey exactly the type of political victory that they have been pushing for since the beginning.

I am going to the little Armenia tomorrow knowing very well that it will not pass. We must increase the pressure every year no matter what……you never know what the Geo-politics of the future might be and we must put ourselves in a position to take full advantage of that when the time comes.

I agree with what you are saying Eddo. I dont think for one minute that we should forget or not push for what is due.

Comment

Little Armenia is gonna full of Armo's showing off their cars and honking. Showing other races what kind of people we are like that :/

I'm going to the Turkish Embassy tomorrow. The marching over their is more serious.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatusVaginalian View Post
              I agree with what you are saying Eddo. I dont think for one minute that we should forget or not push for what is due.
              That thought never crossed my mind, especially after the way you said what you said azizam……….It was my way of backing you words.

BTW, I like it when you get opinioned.

Thanks Sero, good idea. 4801 Wishire Blvd. I will be there.
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Actually its 6300 Wilshire Blvd :P at 4:00 pm

Comment

Members of Russia's Armenian diaspora hold a demonstration in Moscow today to commemorate the anniversary of mass killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks, many calling on President Obama to honor a pledge to class the massacres as "genocide."

Obama won't use 'genocide' in statement on massacre of Armenians

The move backs away from a campaign promise; it comes as Armenia and Turkey announce movement in talks to ease strained relations. U.S. relations with Turkey, a key ally in region, also are at stake.

By Christi Parsons
                  April 25, 2009

Reporting from Washington -- President Barack Obama will not use the word "genocide" today when he issues a statement remembering the slaughter of more than a million Armenians during the last days of the Ottoman Empire.

On the anniversary of the day in 1915 that marked the beginning of the atrocities in Turkey, the president instead will ask for an examination of the past "so that it can be better understood," according to a senior administration official.

Obama still stands by the views he has expressed on the subject in the past, the official said today, speaking in advance of the president's statement on condition of anonymity. As a U.S. senator and a presidential candidate, Obama called for Turkey to acknowledge the genocide -- and promised to do so himself if elected president.

But since moving into the Oval office, Obama has backed away from the pledge out of concern that a furor over it might disrupt delicate diplomatic discussions now going on between Armenia and Turkey.

"He has his views, and his views are known," the official said. The president's goal is to see Turkey "reckon with the events of 1915," the aide said. He added Obama thinks the best way to promote that is with the diplomatically crafted statement being issued today.

The decision over how to handle the April 24 remembrance date is a politically difficult one for the president. Turkish officials did not ask Obama to stay away from the question of genocide, the official said, but the president is acutely aware of and interested in the state of talks between the two countries.

Today's commemoration date falls two days after Turkey and Armenia announced movement in ongoing talks to ease relations between their two countries. Relations have been strained for decades.

The Turkish foreign ministry said Wednesday that the two sides have come up with a framework for continued talks but provided few details on how, exactly, it might work. They have made "tangible progress" toward mutual understanding and come up with a "road map" for how to proceed, according to the statement.

Still, the measure is considered the first breakthrough in talks in more than a decade.

Since Obama took office, Armenian Americans and human rights activists have been asking him to make good on the campaign promise to declare the mass killing a genocide. Advocates hoped the declaration would come today.

But Obama signaled he might take a different route during a trip to Turkey earlier this month, when he refrained from using the word "genocide" to describe the killings. In a joint press conference with Turkish President Abdullah Gul, Obama said he hadn't changed his mind about the historical record but still declined to use the word when asked by a reporter about his position.

"I'm not interested in the U.S. tilting these negotiations one way or another while they are having a useful discussion," Obama said in early April.

Obama's administration has a lot riding on U.S. relations with Turkey, a key U.S. ally in Iraq and Afghanistan. Turkish leaders have historically opposed measures such as the Armenian Genocide resolution now pending before Congress. Offending Turkey could put U.S. supply routes to Iraq and Afghanistan in danger.

Ankara is also an influential player on a host of other critical issues on the Obama agenda, including Middle East peace and Iran.

[email protected]

Link

Comment

That thought never crossed my mind, especially after the way you said what you said azizam……….It was my way of backing you words.

BTW, I like it when you get opinioned.
                    Thank You Eddo!!

Comment

My cousin in New York just sent me this.. I dont know if because of the time difference if it is showing up on the West Coast for us yet...

Obama Breaks PledgeShare
                      Today at 1:56pm
                      THE WHITE HOUSE
                      Office of the Press Secretary
                      __________________________________________________ _______________

For Immediate Release
                      April 24, 2009

Statement of President Barack Obama on Armenian Remembrance Day

Ninety four years ago, one of the great atrocities of the 20th century began. Each year, we pause to remember the 1.5 million Armenians who were subsequently massacred or marched to their death in the final days of the Ottoman Empire. The Meds Yeghern must live on in our memories, just as it lives on in the hearts of the Armenian people.

History, unresolved, can be a heavy weight. Just as the terrible events of 1915 remind us of the dark prospect of man’s inhumanity to man, reckoning with the past holds out the powerful promise of reconciliation. I have consistently stated my own view of what occurred in 1915, and my view of that history has not changed. My interest remains the achievement of a full, frank and just acknowledgment of the facts.

The best way to advance that goal right now is for the Armenian and Turkish people to address the facts of the past as a part of their efforts to move forward. I strongly support efforts by the Turkish and Armenian people to work through this painful history in a way that is honest, open, and constructive. To that end, there has been courageous and important dialogue among Armenians and Turks, and within Turkey itself. I also strongly support the efforts by Turkey and Armenia to normalize their bilateral relations. Under Swiss auspices, the two governments have agreed on a framework and roadmap for normalization. I commend this progress, and urge them to fulfill its promise.

Together, Armenia and Turkey can forge a relationship that is peaceful, productive and prosperous. And together, the Armenian and Turkish people will be stronger as they acknowledge their common history and recognize their common humanity.

Nothing can bring back those who were lost in the Meds Yeghern. But the contributions that Armenians have made over the last ninety-four years stand as a testament to the talent, dynamism and resilience of the Armenian people, and as the ultimate rebuke to those who tried to destroy them. The United States of America is a far richer country because of the many Americans of Armenian descent who have contributed to our society, many of whom immigrated to this country in the aftermath of 1915. Today, I stand with them and with Armenians everywhere with a sense of friendship, solidarity, and deep respect.

Comment

Working...
                      X