Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia and Dagestan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenia and Dagestan

This is a question for those of you who know a lot of Armenia's and Urartu's history and cultural evolution.

I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that has to do with Armenia and Dagestan intersect historically?

Dagestan is a country located in South Caucasus in between Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Chechnya.

My interested is their dances, music, and national clothing.

There is a lot of similarities in our dances, music, and (as I was told) national clothing.

They dance Lezginka, but it is not like the Georgian or Chechen Lezginka. They actually have clarinet and zurna that sounds like Armenian. Very first time I heard their Lezginka with clarnet I thought it was an Armenian playing it. It is that similar.

You can hear and see music and dances here:

(Pay attention at what is happening at 4th minute of the video. Don't you see some familiar elements?)

This video was a first video that got my interest in their culture and how it connects with ours. It was one Dagestani that told me that when there was no Armenia and Dagestan some of our tribes were located close to each other and they were friends. That's how we got the similarities in our cultures, but that's all he knew.

Discuss.
    Last edited by ervand; 05-25-2008, 04:17 AM.

Re: Armenia and Dagestan

Really, Dagestan is considered N Caucasus. Although some Armenians may not want to hear it, but certain aspects of national clothing and music/dance has similarity with Azeris. The people of Dagestan were split between Azerbaijan and Russia -- those who became tukified became "Azeris".

There is a Russian anthropologic website that had a section on the Caucasus -- they were showing the peoples from the 1800s and 1900s in their national costumes. Unfortunately that section was removed.

Comment

So you are saying that people of Dagestan got their similarities with people of Armenia due to Azeries?

Do you think they existed back then when there was Urartu?

Can someone give me a link or explain what their history is like? I mean I know Azerbaijan didn't exist when my great grand father was alive, but they existing as people?

PS: Oops, I confused the North with the South =)
      Last edited by ervand; 05-25-2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ervand View Post
        So you are saying that people of Dagestan got their similarities with people of Armenia due to Azeries?
        No no, I don't know where the similarity comes from. I am just saying that the Dagestanis were basically split. Part of Azeris are just turkified caucasians.

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
          No no, I don't know where the similarity comes from. I am just saying that the Dagestanis were basically split. Part of Azeris are just turkified caucasians.
          Dagestan has more than 20 nationalities. In general Dagestan's relations with Armenia have been good

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
            Dagestan has more than 20 nationalities. In general Dagestan's relations with Armenia have been good
            I think it is actually about 15, but who cares =)

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
              A lot can be understood of Dagestan if the history of Aghvans is considered. The Aghvans (so-called Caucasus Albanians) were in fact a collection of many ethnicities that lived in the regions to the north of the River Kur, (north) west of Caspian and parts of today's Dagestan. In addition, Sarmatians (today's Ossetians), Massagets, etc. also had their states in the region. It is beyond question that migratory tribes have also entered and settled in the region.

In fact, while "Azeris", leftovers of Oghuz invasions and also turkified locals who had become Muslims after the Arab invasion, unjustly claim Aghvan descent, Dagestanis may have stronger links with these extinct peoples. Needless to say the Aghvans were very close to Armenians, so close that the Armenian historian from Aghvank, Movses Kaghankatouatsi considers them the descendants of Hyke.

To picture what Aghvans as a nation would look like you could say the Georgians are the middle point of a scale where Armenians as an accomplished, solid nation are on the top and the Aghvans on the bottom. This is one of the reasons they disappeared.

I copy/paste this extract from my thingy about fake "Azerbaijan":

Strabo has reported the existence of 26 ethnicities with their own kingdoms and languages in Aghvank. The Islamic historians have also mentioned the diversity of the languages of the region. It seems that the Aghvans were the largest group of them all.

...it is noteworthy that scholars have counted Mukhoi (Mughan according to some), Casps, Gels (Gils), Leks, Gargars, Udins (Utis), Silvis, Lupins, Chilbs, Shichbs, Gardman, Olond, Lahij, Egersuans, Balasich, Khechmataks, Tavaspars, Poskhs, Tats, Talishes, Gluars, Gats, Budugs, Khinalugs, Khibivans, Khrsans, Kriz, Pukuans, among others as ethnicities who live or once lived in the region loosely referred to as Aghvank or Caucasus Albania. Interestingly not a single one of these has ever been linked in any way to Turks while a number of them such as Talishes, Tats and Lahijis are certainly of Iranian origin.

Comment

who cares about their puny territory
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---
                "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Mos
                  I find it interesting history wise.

Hellektor
                  Thanks. I will research everything you said when I have time.

Comment

reply3

Wow! This post rocks

Comment

Working...
                    X