Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nakhichevan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nakhichevan

Nakhidjevan

And what is their "scientists/historians" opinion on the Nakhidjevan word origin. Isn't it Armenian?
    Last edited by gegev; 08-10-2010, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
      The 'Azeri' version of Nakhichevan's history

Today as an autonomous republic within Azerbaijan...
      It's obviously quite without fake "Azerbaijan".

In spite, or maybe because of such an agitated history, Nakhchivan is rich in architectural heritage.
      Have you genocidal barbarians left anything standing from its architectural heritage?

Comment

Historically Nakhichevan has been part of the Vaspurakan province and during that time there were district names such as Yernjak, Goghtn, Sharur and Agulis. The Turco-Tatars or 'Azeris' are relative newcomers to Nakhichevan, maybe from 300 years back

Comment

Historically Nakhichevan has been part of the Vaspurakan province and during that time there were district names such as Yernjak, Goghtn, Sharur and Agulis. The Turco-Tatars or 'Azeris' are relative newcomers to Nakhichevan, maybe from 300 years back
          The naming Nakhjavan dates only since the 11the century AD, however no one has ever come up with an explanation of the meaning/origin of this name. Is it Armenian, Persian or Turkish? What does it mean? By the “avan” ending we can suppose it probably has at least partly Armenian origin. What does Nakhj stand for? Has it to do with Nakhjir? There's only a word Nakhjamej in Malkhasian but it doesn't say what is meant with Nakhj.

I haven't found an answer to this question so those who might know a valid explanation are welcome to clear this so that we are done with this ambiguity.

P.S. The retarded Noah fiction crap is not welcome so please refrain from regurgitating that.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out hellektor, I'll look into it if it comes up in my own research.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
              Thanks for pointing that out hellektor, I'll look into it if it comes up in my own research.
              You're welcome. You see, there are many similar dark points regarding many an Armenian issue and a lot of stupid fallacious beliefs which have left us rotating in a vicious circle.

Take Sèvres for instance, where the document that's important to us is the Wilson arbitration not the treaty of Sèvres itself but still there are people, even at the top of Armenian academic circles where they'll parrot the same old Sèvres vs. Lausanne and other completely misunderstood and distorted ideas even to this day.

Recently on Armenian TV, Ashot Melkonian (who I really, really do respect a lot) was again talking about the resurrection of the Sèvres treaty... Man, don't you read a single article by Ara Papian? These guys consider him beneath themselves or something? Why these guys think they know everything and they don't consider updating their knowledge to get rid of their false convictions?

Talk about Sèvres to a Turk and it will say “but Sèvres was never ratified”. Who wants ratification of Sèvres? We have the Wilson arbitration which is THE document that concerns the delineation of the border between Armenia and Turkey, it doesn't require ratification, it's part of the law of the land of the USA, it is binding, it is timeless and it is irrevocable. Yet our great academicians seem to be delaying our cause by their ignorance... or maybe they're doing it deliberately?

Comment

I have to correct a mistake in my previous post. I wrongly remembered the naming Nakhjavan was from the 11th century AD. In fact I was thinking of the relevant article in the Soviet Armenian encyclopedia where under Nakhijevan it says: UNTIL 11th century Nakhjavan.

So Nakhjavan is a much older naming than the 11th century when it changed to Nakhijevan and the famous Noah mythology was attached to the name: nakh=first ijevan=settlement.

Under Nakhjavan a few pages further it says: region of the Vaspurakan Province of the Greater Armenia (Medz Hyke), in the plain of Nakhjavan branch of the Yeraskh (Arax). Comprised of the city of Nakhjavan (center of the region) and the surrounding area, 1220 square km. in all, approximately the Babek (Turk distortion of Babak (Papak), as if he had anything to do with Turks!) area of the day (Soviet era).

There's a longer article after this one under the same topic: Nakhjavan, which I won't translate, but I'll mention the variations of the name, the meaning and origin of which is unfortunately not given, as I hadn't found out in my earlier reading years ago as well.

Nakhjuan, Nakhjvan, Nakhjavan, Nakhijavan, Nakhijevan. The restriction of English consonants taken into account I reproduce the original variants in Armenian:

Նախճուան, Նախճըւան, Նախջաւան, Նախջուան, Նախիջաւան, Նախիջևան

The search for the origin/meaning of the name is still going on and any contribution is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor View Post
                  I have to correct a mistake in my previous post. I wrongly remembered the naming Nakhjavan was from the 11th century AD. In fact I was thinking of the relevant article in the Soviet Armenian encyclopedia where under Nakhijevan it says: UNTIL 11th century Nakhjavan.

So Nakhjavan is a much older naming than the 11th century when it changed to Nakhijevan and the famous Noah mythology was attached to the name: nakh=first ijevan=settlement.

Under Nakhjavan a few pages further it says: region of the Vaspurakan Province of the Greater Armenia (Medz Hyke), in the plain of Nakhjavan branch of the Yeraskh (Arax). Comprised of the city of Nakhjavan (center of the region) and the surrounding area, 1220 square km. in all, approximately the Babek (Turk distortion of Babak (Papak), as if he had anything to do with Turks!) area of the day (Soviet era).

There's a longer article after this one under the same topic: Nakhjavan, which I won't translate, but I'll mention the variations of the name, the meaning and origin of which is unfortunately not given, as I hadn't found out in my earlier reading years ago as well.

Nakhjuan, Nakhjvan, Nakhjavan, Nakhijavan, Nakhijevan. The restriction of English consonants taken into account I reproduce the original variants in Armenian:

Նախճուան, Նախճըւան, Նախջաւան, Նախջուան, Նախիջաւան, Նախիջևան

The search for the origin/meaning of the name is still going on and any contribution is appreciated.
                  It has always been Nakhchivan or minor variations on that name (such as Nakhjuan, Nakhjavan). Nobody who lived there today calls it "Nakhichevan". and (except perhaps for some posers in the 19th century) I bet nobody who has lived there has ever called it "Nakhichevan".

On the medieval maps based on Ptolomey's Geographia from around AD150 it is called "Naxuana", it is "Nassiaun" on Sanson's 1683 "Georgie" map, "Naxiuan" on Herman Moll's 1711 "Turky in Asia" map, Naxivan on Homann's 1720 "Imperii Persici" map, "Narsivan" on Bellin's 1764 "Carte de l'Armenie Gerorgie", "Naksivan" on Tirion's 1769 "Irak Arabi" map, and "Nakschivan" on the 1810 map "Charte der Laender am Caucasus" produced by the German Geographical Institute. Those names are all variations of Nakhchivan, not Nakhichevan.
                  Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-16-2010, 11:28 PM.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor View Post
                    We have the Wilson arbitration which is THE document that concerns the delineation of the border between Armenia and Turkey, it doesn't require ratification, it's part of the law of the land of the USA, it is binding, it is timeless and it is irrevocable.
                    I.e.; in reality you have nothing.
                    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-16-2010, 11:24 PM.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I still am looking for the origin and the meaning of the name Nakhjavan, the point and the purpose of my post which are CLEARLY obvious if the post is actually READ. The European distortions of the name are known to me, I can also read encyclopedias and prints on maps, that absofokkenlutely is not what I am looking for. Those who are ignorant of the origin and the meaning of the name Nakhjavan are not invited to comment or piss around the bush.

Comment

Working...
                      X