Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nakhichevan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nakhichevan

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    It is actually the Armenian government that wants the incident hushed-up / kept silent (Azerbaijan simply says it never happened). .
    brilliant! So Armenia and Azerbaijan are united in the cover up of the destruction of the Armenian khachkars in Jugha? I have a better one for you to use next time. How about it was the Armenians of Nakhichevan who did it (all were attacked and driven out in 1988 as you know, but never mind about that), in order to give Azerbaijan a bad name?

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
      gegev this site seems to be very restrictive.
      Is it an active BB or its me the problem?
      It isn't, if you search for Nakhidjevan Ethnic Cleanings History, you'll find it easily, in Google it is the first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
        Ok, so engage me now with your views, which are much less flawed. I'm trying to say that the Church found use of that story, since it served Armenian national interests, and likely changed it from just a local story in the Ararat plain, to something to be embraced in all places where there is an Armenian church. Churches were the closest thing to tv networks in those days. So its promulgation likely happened through the church, given that it's a Christian institution and hence has complete access to that story.
        Again, I'm not saying it happened one way or another, what I'm saying is that logic such as "They probably could do it, and they likely wanted to do it, then they did it" Is flawed, as it infers a conclusion without proof based entirely on what could and was likely to happen. Furthermore, in order to say could and likely you would first have to prove that the church could indeed do that and was likely to do it. And this last part cannot be based on your personal views. Finally, unless you show evidence that the church did do it, your personal views and inferences are worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
          Did they??? 19th Century? not in 18th or 17th or 16th century prints, or in written form from earlier centuries? I didn't realize you had a direct line to the spirits of deceased west Armenians to instantly check what they read from which century and how they pronounced what they read!
          You know so little about your own history.

There were no secular Armenian schools before the 19th century. Most Armenians were illiterate before the 19th century. Publications were mostly limited to religious texts until the 19th century. Western Armenians until then knew, and wanted to know, next to nothing about historic Armenia. It was only in the 19th century, as a result of growing secularisation, modernisation, and an increasing sense of national identity, that they started to be concious about historic Armenia and its history and desired to read books about it. By theend of the 19th century that involved the production of proper history books and proper research, but much of the early material produced just involved the compiling of existing religious myths and traditions.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

You know so little about your own history.

There were no secular Armenian schools before the 19th century. Most Armenians were illiterate before the 19th century. Publications were mostly limited to religious texts until the 19th century. Western Armenians until then knew, and wanted to know, next to nothing about historic Armenia. It was only in the 19th century, as a result of growing secularisation, modernisation, and an increasing sense of national identity, that they started to be concious about historic Armenia and its history and desired to read books about it. By theend of the 19th century that involved the production of proper history books and proper research, but much of the early material produced just involved the compiling of existing religious myths and traditions.
            Where are your sources? Got any to back yourself up?

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
              I'm not. I guess I shouldn'tve given what I've personally inferred from my own experience of looking into our history, before giving you the source for the facts I've considered.
              Don't apologise. The purpose of experience is to be able extrapolate the knowledge you have gained about one subject onto another subject, thus avoiding having to start from scratch with that second subject. That is why we say "knowledge is power".
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Don't apologise. The purpose of experience is to be able extrapolate the knowledge you have gained about one subject onto another subject, thus avoiding having to start from scratch with that second subject. That is why we say "knowledge is power".
                I really don't think you should make baseless comments. Either state your sources, for the content in the previous post, or refrain from making statements you cannot back. Frankly, your "experience" in another subject has absolutely no significance in providing credibility for your posts on Armenian History. Either prove what you are claiming, or refrain from making baseless comments relying merely on "your experience".

In your case, it is not "knowledge is power", but "propaganda is power". Prove your points.

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
                  brilliant! So Armenia and Azerbaijan are united in the cover up of the destruction of the Armenian khachkars in Jugha? I have a better one for you to use next time. How about it was the Armenians of Nakhichevan who did it (all were attacked and driven out in 1988 as you know, but never mind about that), in order to give Azerbaijan a bad name?
                  I took part in the delegation to UNESCO's Paris HQ that I mentioned, so I know all about the extreme difficulties that Armenia's repeated refusal to provide diplomatic support created. Over several years the Armenian ambassador in Paris was asked by those organising the delegation many times to provide assistance to facilitate access to UNESCO, but refused, citing instructions got from Yerevan. When asked, the Armenian embassy also refused to provide a representative to join the delegation for its meeting with the head of UNESCO. Although parliamentarians from Canada and Greece were part of the delegation, UNESCO red tape meant that there had to be some sort of state-level request from a UNESCO country member for the meeting to finally go ahead. However, the Swiss ambassador was eventually persuaded to provide that request, thus scuppering Armenia's attempt to halt the meeting. I think I recall that the Swiss ambassador's involvement had to be off-the-record and secret, because he was not acting on instructions from the Swiss government, but on a personal level.

The process to gain from the European Parliament a specific condemnation of Azerbaijan about the destruction has been going on for years. In 2006, in a previous attempt to raise the matter, the sponsor, the MEP Charles Tannock, almost had to withdraw his resolution because the Armenian government refused to provide him with the evidence he needed to properly present that resolution. He approached me as a last resort (literally the day before he would have been forced to withdraw it), and I was able to provide enough background information to enable him to procede. His resolution was later passed.

This deliberate blocking by the Armenian government continues to this day. Despite repeated approaches, Armenia has again point-blank refused to provide support to those bringing the latest attempt at getting a European Parliament resolution condemning Azerbaijan, as the following diplomatically-worded statement indicates.

August 11, 2010

This autumn the European Parliament is likely to issue a statement on the destruction of the Armenian cultural monuments in Nakhchivan.

A lot work has been done in this direction and the draft statement has been already submitted to the European Parliament, head of Federation of Armenian Organizations in Belgium Gevorg Minasyan told the reporters in Yerevan. "We have just to get Armenia's support that is a little bit overdue. Nevertheless, I think the process has been launched, and the European Parliament will issue the statement by this autumn", he stressed.
                  Last edited by jgk3; 08-20-2010, 08:53 PM. Reason: insults removed.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I do not expect you to rise above the level of a worm - so I did not realistically expect you to know anything about the incidents I wrote about. But, because even worms have a sense of self preservation, I would have expected you to assume that these were things you did not know about, and thus not make such a display of your ignorance and your other "qualities".

I took part in the delegation to UNESCO's Paris HQ that I mentioned, so I know all about the extreme difficulties that Armenia's repeated refusal to provide diplomatic support created. Over several years the Armenian ambassador in Paris was asked by those organising the delegation many times to provide assistance to facilitate access to UNESCO, but refused, citing instructions got from Yerevan. When asked, the Armenian embassy also refused to provide a representative to join the delegation for its meeting with the head of UNESCO. Although parliamentarians from Canada and Greece were part of the delegation, UNESCO red tape meant that there had to be some sort of state-level request from a UNESCO country member for the meeting to finally go ahead. However, the Swiss ambassador was eventually persuaded to provide that request, thus scuppering Armenia's attempt to halt the meeting. I think I recall that the Swiss ambassador's involvement had to be off-the-record and secret, because he was not acting on instructions from the Swiss government, but on a personal level.

The process to gain from the European Parliament a specific condemnation of Azerbaijan about the destruction has been going on for years. In 2006, in a previous attempt to raise the matter, the sponsor, the MEP Charles Tannock, almost had to withdraw his resolution because the Armenian government refused to provide him with the evidence he needed to properly present that resolution. He approached me as a last resort (literally the day before he would have been forced to withdraw it), and I was able to provide enough background information to enable him to procede. His resolution was later passed.

This deliberate blocking by the Armenian government continues to this day. Despite repeated approaches, Armenia has again point-blank refused to provide support to those bringing the latest attempt at getting a European Parliament resolution condemning Azerbaijan, as the following diplomatically-worded statement indicates.

August 11, 2010

This autumn the European Parliament is likely to issue a statement on the destruction of the Armenian cultural monuments in Nakhchivan.

A lot work has been done in this direction and the draft statement has been already submitted to the European Parliament, head of Federation of Armenian Organizations in Belgium Gevorg Minasyan told the reporters in Yerevan. "We have just to get Armenia's support that is a little bit overdue. Nevertheless, I think the process has been launched, and the European Parliament will issue the statement by this autumn", he stressed.
                    Thanks Bell. This does not surprise me whatsoever. I have met the first two ambassadors from Armenia to the US and they were total zeros. Most of them are inept rejects/midlevel USSR functionaries. They are more symbolic if anything. In the case of the US, the rely far too much on the diaspora to do what the should be doing; we have to hold their hand on just about everything. This is probably true in other places as well. I do have to say that Amb. Tatoul Markarian is a nice change.
                    Last edited by Joseph; 08-22-2010, 10:57 AM.
                    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                      Thanks Bell. This does not surprise me whatsoever. I have met the first two ambassadors from Armenia to the US and they were total zeros. Most of them are inept rejects/midlevel USSR functionaries. They are more symbolic if anything. In the case of the US, the rely far too much on the diaspora to do what the should be doing; we have to hold their hand on just about everything. This is probably true in other places as well. I do have to say that Amb. Tatoul Markarian is a nice change.
                      With that Paris ambassador, I think it was that he said (or claimed) that he couldn't do anything without getting instructions from Yerevan, and this went on for over a year. I assume he conveyed to Yerevan what the proposed delegation had said was needed. Which would suggest that Yerevan was deliberately obstructing the attempt to meet UNESCOs head - and since the lack of help is continuing that does seem to be the best explanation. Though maybe the ineptitude of the ambassador played a part. You would think that these appointments would be seen as of vital importance for Armenia. But the ambassador in Britain seems to change every year or so, with no discussion and for no apparent reason.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X