Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!


2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.


- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.


8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nakhichevan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nakhichevan

    The 'Azeri' version of Nakhichevan's history

    History
    Nakhichevan's earliest claim to fame comes from biblical times, as Noah's ark before having reached Mount Ararat is supposed to have first touched land on the submerges summit of the Ilan-dag mountain. The republic's name apparently comes from this legend, Nakhichevan being a corruption of Nukkhtchikhan, the 'Colony of Noah'.

    Nakhichevan was invaded by Greeks and Romans, transferred to Parthia and Sassanid Persia, devastated by the Arabs armies of Emir Habib in the 8th century, independent in the 9th and 10th centuries, invaded by the Seljuk Turks of Alp Arasan in th 11th, briefly independent as the Atabak Ildegizids state in the 12th century, invaded by Turks and Mongols, again controlled by Persia, it eventually became a quasi-independent Khanate in the 18th century and was integrated in Russia in the 19th century. In 1924 Stalin made it an autonomous republic, status that it maintains today within Azerbaijan. In 1991, as the USSR started to collapse, Nakhichevan declared independence even before Azerbaijan, second only to Lithuania. Today as an autonomous republic within Azerbaijan, Nakhchivan has its own parliament (President Aliyev's family is from Nakhichevan).

    In spite, or maybe because of such an agitated history, Nakhchivan is rich in architectural heritage. Worth special notice are the mausoleum of Momine Khatun (12-th century), the tomb of Yusuf Kuseir, mausoleum Garabaglar with 2 minarets, the mausoleum of Fazlullah Naimi, the Khanega caravanserai, the Alindja castle and the ruins of the city of Gilan.

    http://www.azerb.com/az-nakhchivan.html

  • #2
    Re: Nakhichevan

    If you want a good laugh you should read this Azeri 'history' of the Kingdom of Armenia:

    http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

    It alleges that there were Turkic tribes in the region back then.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Nakhichevan

      Originally posted by Davo88 View Post
      If you want a good laugh you should read this Azeri 'history' of the Kingdom of Armenia:

      http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

      It alleges that there were Turkic tribes in the region back then.
      mammadova is an idiot and azeris believe the xxxx she says

      Among the critics of Mammadova's works is Russian historian V.A. Shnirelman, who dedicated a whole chapter in his "Wars of Memory" book to Mammadova's mistakes, misinterpretations and to the influence of anti-Armenian authors V.L. Velichko and Ziya Bunyadov on her theories.
      According to Thomas de Waal, Mammadova have grasped the Albanian theory "to supersede completely Armenians from Caucasus". "She has placed Caucasian Albania on the territory of modern Republic of Armenia: all the territories, churches and monasteries in Republic of Armenia have appeared Albanian". He describes Mammadova's theories as "an improved version of what became a very rough tool in Azerbaijan".
      During her interviews Mammadova has made anti-Armenian statements:
      And, it is known, that on whole planet exactly the Armenian people is distinguished by the absence of spiritual and other human values.
      In the world there are only two nations that have national identitiy, but have not statehoods. They are xxxs and Armenians. The difference is that xxxs have created their state on their historical homeland, and Armenians have created their state not on their historical native land
      In the early 1980s, Azerbaijani Academy of
      Sciences embarked on a highly controversial
      project aimed at denying the Armenian
      character to thousands of historical monuments
      found on the Armenian-populated territories
      that were forcibly attached to Azerbaijani SSR
      in the 1920s. In 1997, the head of the project,
      Ziya Buniyatov, was assassinated by his
      mafia companions, and Farida Mamedova
      took over the project of Azerbaijan's
      "cultural cleansing." The policy of "cultural
      cleansing" formed the ideological basis for
      and preceded later ethnic cleansing against
      the Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh.
      In her works, Mamedova eclectically
      blends historiographic research, racist
      presumptions and conspiracy theorizing.
      She is best known for her attempts to
      "scientifically" prove that the Armenians
      do not deserve an independent national
      state for their own. In 1987, Dr. Mamedova
      welcomed Azerbaijan's ethnic cleansing
      initiative and called on his countrymen to
      further proceed with the annexation of parts
      of northern Iran, southern
      Armenia, and Dagestan.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Nakhichevan

        Originally posted by lampron View Post
        The 'Azeri' version of Nakhichevan's history

        History
        Nakhichevan's earliest claim to fame comes from biblical times, as Noah's ark before having reached Mount Ararat is supposed to have first touched land on the submerges summit of the Ilan-dag mountain. The republic's name apparently comes from this legend, Nakhichevan being a corruption of Nukkhtchikhan, the 'Colony of Noah'.
        [/url]
        Though that bit is no more silly than its Armenian "the place of descent" equivalent.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Nakhichevan

          Thanks for posting that, ninetoyadome. So much for Soviet "brotherhood" between nations.

          Though that bit is no more silly than its Armenian "the place of descent" equivalent.
          The Armenian theory on the origins of the name Nakhichevan is certainly more plausible. Besides, it weren't Armenians who invented that theory, but a German scholar named Johann Heinrich Hübschmann.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakhichevan

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Nakhichevan

            Originally posted by Davo88 View Post
            Thanks for posting that, ninetoyadome. So much for Soviet "brotherhood" between nations.



            The Armenian theory on the origins of the name Nakhichevan is certainly more plausible. Besides, it weren't Armenians who invented that theory, but a German scholar named Johann Heinrich Hübschmann.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakhichevan
            Never quote Wikipedia as a reference!

            The theory (though it doesn't really merit such a term because it implies some scientific basis lies behind it) was invented by Armenians in the early 19th century (though it may have existed as a bit of folk entymology before that), and the spelling of Nakhchivan was manipulated in print to make the theory more plausable. Hübschmann was merely recording the existence of the theory (the Wikipedia article does not say he invented the theory, though it is weasily worded to suggest otherwise and it has no references).

            And most of you still use that manipulated spelling and even believe that it is pronounced that way. The Azeri fantasy is obviously based on the Armenian one, but with the supposed meaning in Armenian removed and some supposed meaning in Turkic pasted in its place.
            Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-09-2010, 12:21 AM.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Nakhichevan

              Originally posted by lampron View Post
              , independent in the 9th and 10th centuries, invaded by the Seljuk Turks of Alp Arasan in th 11th,
              I wonder which 'Azeri' kings and princes ruled Nakhichevan when it was independent?

              Or does the source mean independent, as in part of independent Armenia under the Bagratunis?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Nakhichevan

                Originally posted by lampron View Post
                I wonder which 'Azeri' kings and princes ruled Nakhichevan when it was independent?

                Or does the source mean independent, as in part of independent Armenia under the Bagratunis?
                The passage does not actually mention the word "Azeri". It is probably written for the ignorant and the simple minded (i.e. tourists, journalists, and such like) to imply that the population of Nakhchivan has been living there continuously and ethnically unchanged since the time of Noah. That is why there is no mention anywhere in the passage of the ethnicity or religion of the population at any time period.
                Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-09-2010, 05:05 PM.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Nakhichevan

                  Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                  Never quote Wikipedia as a reference!

                  The theory (though it doesn't really merit such a term because it implies some scientific basis lies behind it) was invented by Armenians in the early 19th century (though it may have existed as a bit of folk entymology before that), and the spelling of Nakhchivan was manipulated in print to make the theory more plausable. Hübschmann was merely recording the existence of the theory (the Wikipedia article does not say he invented the theory, though it is weasily worded to suggest otherwise and it has no references).

                  And most of you still use that manipulated spelling and even believe that it is pronounced that way. The Azeri fantasy is obviously based on the Armenian one, but with the supposed meaning in Armenian removed and some supposed meaning in Turkic pasted in its place.
                  From what do you conclude the theory was invented by Armenians? Can you name some sources (probably Western ones for you).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Nakhichevan

                    Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                    It is probably written for the ignorant and the simple minded (i.e. tourists, journalists, and such like) to imply that the population of Nakhchivan has been living there continuously and ethnically unchanged since the time of Noah. .
                    ah yes! just as well (for 'Azeri historians') that journalists in the New York Times, Washington Post, London Times, Le Monde etc etc are all ignorant and simple minded eh? Because, as we know, they seem not to pay the minimum attention as to who might have historically lived in Nakhichevan

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X