Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nakhichevan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nakhichevan

Originally posted by lampron View Post
    Nakhichevan

According to Movses Khorenatsi, the territory of Nakhichevan region had been part of the Ancient Armenian Kingdom as early as from the 6th century B.C. In his description of the deeds of the Armenian King Tigran Yervandyan the historian notes that the king “settled his wife and many maidens of his family together with the youths and numerous captured people in the eastern side of the great mountain which reached the borders of Goghtn, i.e., in Tambat, Oskiokh, Dajguin and other settlements. These people were also given three small towns, Khram, Jhukhu, Khoshakunik, as well as the valley on the opposite bank of the river from Ajhanakan to the fortress of Nakhichevan” (cf. “History of Armenia by Moses Khorenatsi”, 1858). The boundary stone with the Aramian inscription of the Armenian King Artashes I (189-160 B.C.) found on the foothill of Ishkhanasar, as well as other inscriptions found in the region around the Lake Sevan attributed to the same king confirm that in the 2nd century B.C. the District of Syunik constituted part of the Ancient Armenia (cf.: A.G. Perikhanyan, “Aramian Inscription from Zangezur”, Historical-Philological Magazine, 1965, No 4; A. Ya. Borisov “Inscriptions of Artaxia (Artashes), King of Armenia, 1946, No 2).

According to Strabon, Syunik was inhabited by the Armenian ethnos. (Strabon, “Geography in 17 Books”, 1964, Vol. XI, XIV). It is stated in “The History” by Pavstos Byuzand that Nakhichevan was part of Armenia. Pavstos Byuzand mentioned that some of the people captured by Tigran II (71-70 B.C.) in Palestine were settled there. In the 4th century Nakhichevan, including other Armenian towns, was plundered by Shapuh II Sasanid, and thousands of Armenians and xxxs were forcedly withdrawn from there (cf.: “History of Armenia” by Pavstos Byuzand, 1953).
    During the 6th and 7th centuries Nakhichevan suffered from the Persian-Byzantine wars, and in the 7th century it was enslaved by the Arabs. In 705 the Armenian noblemen and princes were invited to Nakhichevan by Mahmed, the Arab vice-regent and burnt alive (“History of Caliphs” by Vardapet Ghevond (VIII century), 1862).
    http://www.karabagh.am/eng/7Naxichevan.htm
    But king aliyev said "There have never been Armenian's in Nakichevan." Im confused, whos right: historian Movses Khorenatsi, Geographer, historian Strabo or self proclaimed historian king aliyev.

Comment

From what I've seen, the most recurring name for Nakhichevan is Naksivan.

raremaps.com
      davidrumsey.com

Those two sites are good databases for antique maps. Most of the time, it's unclear, and Nakhichevan is not even indicated. But in the rare cases that it is, it's either Naksivan or a variant. I haven't checked 19th century maps.

Also, I have no patience to look for it here, you can see what antique Armenian maps looked like here:

Maybe someone can find Nakhichevan there. There's even a T and O map dating from the 13th century. If only the PDF allowed us to zoom in on the maps. Does anyone own the book of Rouben Galichian about the antique maps of Armenia? We might be able to see better examples there.

Comment

Do you guys notice the use of the letter "x" in the Armenian script in the 1695 map (in the pdf file)? I didn't know we used it. I'm also seeing "h" and dotless "i".

Also, do you see Գուրջիստան (Gurjistan) for Georgia? I didn't know we used that name. Ըստամպօլ also surprised me.
        Last edited by SevSpitak; 10-15-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SevSpitak View Post
          Do you guys notice the use of the letter "x" in the Armenian script in the 1695 map (in the pdf file)? I didn't know we used it. I'm also seeing "h" and dotless "i".

Also, do you see Գուրջիստան (Gurjistan) for Georgia? I didn't know we used that name. Ըստամպօլ also surprised me.
          it must be the Moslem influence which increased after the 15th century. Gurjistan is what Turks and Persians call Georgia.

In the 10th-11th centuries it seems that Armenian kingdom used the names of the separate districts rather than "Nakhichevan" for the region that suddenly became 'Nakhichevan ASSR' controlled by Baku in 1924. Names like Yernjak, Ayrarat, Goghtn, Sharur etc

Comment

Well, back then there was no Nakhichevan to my knowledge. There was probably a city with the name, but it wasn't big enough to be applied to the entire region.

Most of Nakhichevan was incorporated into Syunik.

Comment

My grandmother's side of the family was from Nakhijevan. Today though it's a really backwards place ruled by a dictator, no development, little economy, and of course Armenian cultural sites mostly destroyed by Azeris.

Syunik is a very important province to us. Not only do we have some very important monasteries and cultural sites there, but also it prevents us from being completed surrounded by Azerbaijan to the South, gives us a passage way to Iran with which we can trade and relieve some of the blockade. Though infrastructure down there is pretty poor, and the volume of trade is rather low compared to the trade that goes through Georgia.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---
              "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

An atlas for free about NAKHIJEVAN
                Last edited by Ghoukas; 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X