Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Las Vegas Shooting of Armenian Girl and Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Las Vegas Shooting of Armenain Girl and Mom

I agree that a few can impact our image, but I think you're both taking an overly pessimistic view.

It is not only diasporan Armenians that display jealous and a tendency toward violence. Let's not even get started with the domestic abuse issues in Armenia please.

Southern California has lots of great Armenians. The AP idiots are by no means representative of the entire diaspora population in the region.

Iranian women do the same kind of stuff (I don't know any Georgians). In every group there are going to be some who assimilate quickly or are just "bad seeds" (for lack of a better term). But instead of seeking to set ourselves apart from these individuals perhaps we should try to extend ourselves to them when we have the opportunity in order to bring them back into the Armenian fold.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      But instead of seeking to set ourselves apart from these individuals perhaps we should try to extend ourselves to them in order to bring them back into the Armenian fold.
      Siggie, I don't agree with you and I don't agree with your previous statement.

Comment

But instead of seeking to set ourselves apart from these individuals perhaps we should try to extend ourselves to them when we have the opportunity in order to bring them back into the Armenian fold.
        No, it is wrong to extend to them. We should do the opposite and exclude them as much as possible. They only bring harm to us why bring them in? Those who-res don't represent Armenian women and the values in our culture, they are not Armenians anymore anyways, they brainwashed American cultured morons, that deserve to be excluded from association with Armenians.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I don't think excluding them all categorically is the answer... They're not all that far gone.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Are we going to be less Armenian or something for not taking on a hostile attitude towards these "cultural traitors"?

Comment

I do not think alienating these "dormant" Armenians is a good idea simply for the fact that we lack numbers and we need every person that we can get. 8-10 million (of which half are on countdowns to assimilation) is simply unacceptable. It is true that not all of these dormant Armenians are too far gone and perhaps can be saved. As long as there is some interest in the culture, we should not alienate them further and try to bring them back. The hopeless cases should remain hopeless (see Kardashians).

We're not like the Irish, the Mexicans, the Italians who simply have the sheer number size to just turn a blind eye to assimilation.
              Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

But instead of seeking to set ourselves apart from these individuals perhaps we should try to extend ourselves to them when we have the opportunity in order to bring them back into the Armenian fold.
                Originally posted by Virgil View Post
                Siggie, I don't agree with you and I don't agree with your previous statement.
                I agree with Siggie. We should try to "convert" as many Armenians to the Armenian cause regardless if they have been "dormant" and Americanized in the past. Remember, Monte Melkonian was once on the road to assimilation before the Hye Tad was awakened within him...

When we alienate Armenians based on their upbringing or lack-thereof, we are only hurting ourselves as a nation. There's a saying, "don't cut your own throat in spite of your pride" and it applies well to this issue. Don't reject Armenians just because you have some sort of standard of who is/who is not an Armenian, because when it comes down to it the Armenian is one who fights for his nation, regardless of his or her background.
                Last edited by yerazhishda; 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
                  Monte Melkonian was once on the road to assimilation before the Hye Tad was awakened within him...
                  I don't care about it rest, just one thing ...

Monte Melkonian was never on the "road of assimilation", I don't know where you got this bullxxxx from, but when he graduated from Berkeley he could have gone to Oxford with a full scholarship, but instead choose to go to the Middle-East to rescue Armenians from assimilation. He went to all the organizations there to ask them to donate men and women to the cause, but instead, the very same "leaders", "intellectuals", and "writers", that later did assimilate kicked him out because he was deemed too "radical". And do you know why he went in the first place? Because he saw that the Diaspora in America was composed of greedy, fake, and useless "Armenians", who had no tie to their identity besides the "ian" and "yan" in their last name. People with the exact philosophy and opinions that you have described.

Comment

I don't care about it rest, just one thing ...

Monte Melkonian was never on the "road of assimilation", I don't know where you got this bullxxxx from...
                    Virgil, let's be a bit more polite than this, eh?

...but when he graduated from Berkeley he could have gone to Oxford with a full scholarship, but instead choose to go to the Middle-East to rescue Armenians from assimilation. He went to all the organizations there to ask them to donate men and women to the cause, but instead, the very same "leaders", "intellectuals", and "writers", that later did assimilate kicked him out because he was deemed too "radical". And do you know why he went in the first place? Because he saw that the Diaspora in America was composed of greedy, fake, and useless "Armenians", who had no tie to their identity besides the "ian" and "yan" in their last name. People with the exact philosophy and opinions that you have described.
                    Both what you say and what Yeraz said can be true.

His point is that he was on the road to assimilation because he identified Armenian until he was asked about his background and he really pondered that.
                    Monte didn't know much about his ethnicity until he was an early teen. His parents didn't raise him and his brother any differently than the other American suburbanites. He didn't even learn Armenian until he got to Lebanon.

With this "greedy" "fake" business, it sounds like there's something else going on here. You don't actually claim that diaspora Armenians are alone in having persons who are deceitful and dishonest, do you? Just yesterday I was reading about the tremendous misappropriation of diaspora funds sent to orphanages and medical care facilities in Gyumri. Of course these are not isolated cases either. What you are discussing can occur and does occur independently of the "where."

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                      I do not think alienating these "dormant" Armenians is a good idea simply for the fact that we lack numbers and we need every person that we can get. 8-10 million (of which half are on countdowns to assimilation) is simply unacceptable. It is true that not all of these dormant Armenians are too far gone and perhaps can be saved. As long as there is some interest in the culture, we should not alienate them further and try to bring them back. The hopeless cases should remain hopeless (see Kardashians).

We're not like the Irish, the Mexicans, the Italians who simply have the sheer number size to just turn a blind eye to assimilation.
                      I am gonna repeat myself, but Mexicans is too broad a term, it's a national term, not realyl ethnic, there are only about 1.6 Million full on Nahuatls, 8 Million Mayans, etc. Mexican is a national origin that has a multitude of Ethnicities including but not limited to various Indigenous people, the so called Mestizo population (Spanish speaking Indians), Spaniards and other Europeans, a small Arab and Middle Eastern population (about 200 Armenians btw) and some Chinese. Now granted you can say the others who are not Indians, Mestizo or Spanish all tick Mexican, but that's as national origin, when on ethnicity they take Hispanic (which is a Spanish speaker of any race) or Latino (from Latin America), there is to my knowledge no term such as Chicano or Mexican you can tick for ethnicity.

So my point, if you knew the actual situation in Mexico, you'd understand we also face assimilation, to the point that the Creole (Spanish) government forces the Hispanglization of all Indians and Mestizos to a point where we basically are just devoid of any link to our ethnicity (Aztec, Mayan, Toltec, Mixtec, Sonora, Puebla, Navajo, etc.), so we get what assimilation means, and in the US the Anglos want us to assimilate to their ways so it's a double assault really.

Comment

Working...
                      X