Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Las Vegas Shooting of Armenian Girl and Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Las Vegas Shooting of Armenian Girl and Mom

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
    I don't really want to drag this out too much and, again, my condolences to the family, but certainly since we strayed off topic, intermarriage is the primary way culture erodes. If you are asking me is intermarriage the primary culprit, obviously, I would assume its not, the lack of parental guidance is also the culprit because its the lack of any sort of guidance that leads Armenians to intermarry.

Likewise, by you claiming quantity is not important and that we can reconstitute identity somehow, when we can't, leads to more and more people being open to intermarriage. Again, it will occur to a point where their is nothing that can be used to reconstitute the Armenian identity since everyone will be of mixed background.
    You mean my claiming quality is not important? I didn't say that... nor did I say intermarriage is okay or should be encouraged. I think Federate echoed the same points more concisely than I had, but I'll try again. Our numbers are too few; Armenians should be with Armenians. However for the same reason, our low numbers, I do not think we should be hasty in dismissing people as lost. Whether it is because they are from a mixed background or because they are lacking somewhat in their appreciation for their culture. I think some of these individuals can come around with a little encouragement. For instance, wouldn't you agree that there might be some young Armenians who has grown up in the US and speak Armenian, but cannot read or write, do not know much about Armenian history, and do not follow news regarding Armenia, etc that can still awaken and embrace their culture, learn to read/write, etc? My point is simply that we are too few to give up on those who do not meet our standards of quality. Some of them, with a little effort, can improve their "quality" still. They aren't necessarily lost forever.

I was speaking independently of the new story you had posted. Where I disagreed about the story was with the comments attributing what happened in this case to the girl's hooking up with an odar. If we're not cautious about who we hook up with (irrespective of ethnicity), we can end up with someone unstable and violent. This could have also occurred if this girl had gotten together with an abusive and unstable Armenian. That's all. I just thought it was a little unfair to say she deserved what happened or precipitated it solely because she had a child with an odar.

I hope this clears it up a little.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

The whole idea of American culture is this "melting pot" where people give up their previous ethnicity, culture, customs, languages and become just Americans. And such people refer back to their culture from time to time, only when they are asked the question or something like that. This whole melting pot BS is just another name for assimilation and the US is really good at that.

An assimilated Armenian will 90% of the time marry an otar and after that it's over, because the children will be pure Americans. An Armenian who has some honor and does not assimilate and keeps a connection with Armenia is much less likely to do that, and they are much less likely also to down the Armenian name. The greatest enemy of the Armenian race is assimilation. Genocide has reduced our numbers and after that assimilation will reduce our race to nothing.

How do you feel when you see a person with Armenian last name, but having no knowledge of Armenia culture, language, and doing stupid American things while at the same time calling him/herself "armenian". It is the worst.

Back to this story, look that stupid Mariam's death was her own fault, pure and simple. If she had not assimilated foolishly into the immoral and corrupt US culture, she would be alive today and be in a loving Armenian family. Instead, she accepted that corrupt culture and let this American punk do whatever to her, and thus she paid.

This is tragic, but it should be a lesson to Armenians to say the least.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
        How do you feel when you see a person with Armenian last name, but having no knowledge of Armenia culture, language, and doing stupid American things while at the same time calling him/herself "armenian". It is the worst.
        People want to feel as though they really belong to a group that makes them feel happy and secure. If an Armenian in North America can find such a feeling in otar culture, then they happily will adopt it. However... this "match made in heaven between Armenian and otar" does not necessarily happen to every Armenian living here, even if they're (outwardly) assimilated. So long as this element of personal dissatisfaction occurs (which is often related to an Armenian's forgetting or shunning of their own culture), there will naturally be a gravitational pull back to our identity, our culture that will prompt them to... try again. The question is, will you, as an Armenian who knows his culture well, be there to guide them?

Back to this story, look that stupid Mariam's death was her own fault, pure and simple. If she had not assimilated foolishly into the immoral and corrupt US culture, she would be alive today and be in a loving Armenian family. Instead, she accepted that corrupt culture and let this American punk do whatever to her, and thus she paid.

This is tragic, but it should be a lesson to Armenians to say the least.
        Did Mariam die because she was an assimilated Armenian who had a baby out of wedlock with an otar?

Originally posted by Virgil
        If you are asking me is intermarriage the primary culprit, obviously, I would assume its not, the lack of parental guidance is also the culprit because its the lack of any sort of guidance that leads Armenians to intermarry.
        What kind of guidance do you consider most beneficial for raising your kids to not intermarry?
        Last edited by jgk3; 01-17-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post

Did Mariam die because she was an assimilated Armenian who had a baby out of wedlock with an otar?
          Yes, that was a major reason for her death. The death is a consequence of the corrupt western culture. Mariam should have known better.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---
          "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

hmm... ok then.

Comment

What kind of guidance do you consider most beneficial for raising your kids to not intermarry?
              Really, its not about "intermarrying", its more than that, its about infusing children, Armenian and Non-Armenian, with a identity. All I see nowadays are children mimicking what they see in the media. I guess, I would say, just don't leave the parenting to third parties like the school, the government, universities, and the media because at best these sources provide a very neutral view point that does not explain anything in detail.

Comment

Yes, that was a major reason for her death. The death is a consequence of the corrupt western culture. Mariam should have known better.
                hmm... ok then.
                Just giving up Jeff?
                I bet you didn't expect that answer when you phrased it so simply as to highlight the absurdity of the claim.
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Yeah, there was a culture once in the west, it is non-existent now. I agree, even though it is a tragedy, most of these incidences occur because parents fail to provide quality parenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    Just giving up Jeff?
                    I bet you didn't expect that answer when you phrased it so simply as to highlight the absurdity of the claim.
                    The claim was not absurd, you have kids that have not hit puberty having children. Giving children a identity is the same as being a good parent. When you fail to provide children with a blue print then they pick up the blue print from degenerate sources, which then leads to cases like Mariam. Maybe you need stop laughing and visit a few public schools to see the phenomenon in person.

Comment

Re: Las Vegas Shooting of Armenain Girl and Mom

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
                      I agree with Siggie. We should try to "convert" as many Armenians to the Armenian cause regardless if they have been "dormant" and Americanized in the past. Remember, Monte Melkonian was once on the road to assimilation before the Hye Tad was awakened within him...

When we alienate Armenians based on their upbringing or lack-thereof, we are only hurting ourselves as a nation. There's a saying, "don't cut your own throat in spite of your pride" and it applies well to this issue. Don't reject Armenians just because you have some sort of standard of who is/who is not an Armenian, because when it comes down to it the Armenian is one who fights for his nation, regardless of his or her background.
                      Good post yeraz:
                      Hey btw, that is just like me. I guess I am not considered an Armenian by some on this forum..........ask me if I give a xxxx what these so called quality Armenians think of me.

As we say "menk Hayere mart cheng enel."
                      Last edited by Siggie; 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM. Reason: language
                      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                      X