Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Las Vegas Shooting of Armenian Girl and Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Las Vegas Shooting of Armenian Girl and Mom

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
    hmmm, I re-read the article and noticed it was about him not wanting to lose custody of his daughter... This is actually more familiar to me as a source for driving a father crazy.

My own father was so spiteful towards my mother for divorcing and wanting to keep total custody that he spent money on the most expensive possible lawyers and followed a dictum of "I'd rather spend 500$ from my pocket to take 50$ out of her". He essentially wanted to corner my mother financially as retribution for "ruining the family" and break her down so he could win everything back. She in the meantime was recovering from a brain surgery and could not work.

Another case of this is my piano teacher who divorced her very abusive husband in Egypt, where relations between a married couple were under sharia law. They had a daughter and fought over her custody. In this case, it was the father who had the law on his side, but because he wanted to immigrate to communist Armenia during the 50s with the daughter, a choice that my piano teacher could not stand for concerning her daughter's future, she made plans to flee with her to Canada and succeeded. But in the meantime, she was so scared of her ex-husband that she would sleep with a knife under her pillow.

In both cases, the couples were Armenian. Thus I don't know what the hell some of you are talking about, "how this is a result of odar culture and assimilation". If anything, "the desire to keep true to Armenian culture and not intermarrying" actually played a role in leading my mother and my piano teacher towards their respective abusive relationships. These marriages were familial efforts and were not motivated solely by the choice of the woman in choosing their mate. Thus, the pressure against divorce was often astounding, and this could only feed the abuse when one of the spouses is already committed towards vengeance and spite.
    What about the Armenian girl in hospital that had a brick slammed into her by her American boyfriend, you see, I can provide examples as well, extreme examples, but irrespective of these examples, the conclusion for me, is that for the most part, having a kid out of wedlock is not normal among Armenians. During my parents generation, it was shameful for a couple to have a child out of wedlock. Meaning, your parents were grown adults that came to a conclusion to get a divorce. They certainly did not have a child out of wedlock. They got married, they tried their best to work it out, but then came to a conclusion to get a divorce. This process is far and apart from the situation that Mariam was in and the reason she was in this situation was because she turned her back on her Armenian values, the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Kanada you're misrepresenting the law a little bit. From my understanding the law is changing and fathers are getting more rights anyway, but you have a few things wrong.

Man A shares the expense for the children, but does not carry it ALL. Further, if the circumstances change and Man B is living in the house, then Man A can get the support order changed because Man B can be paying a part or all of the mortgage, so that would be removed from the need and then Man B's responsibility would be recalculated.
      That depends on the total income between the spouses. If the woman worked part time or had no income at all, then the man is practically fully responsible. My coworker is currently going through a scenario where he married a woman who had filed for bankruptcy prior to his marriage. During the course of their marriage, she had been making payments on time on her credit cards and allowing payments on his to be late constantly. He trusted her with the finances since he was always working on the road. She has now filed for divorce and he is seeking criminal charges against her and her new boyfriend. The children are caught in the middle and have no clue what is going on. In the end, the lawyers will benefit from the whole charade.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        That depends on the total income between the spouses. If the woman worked part time or had no income at all, then the man is practically fully responsible. My coworker is currently going through a scenario where he married a woman who had filed for bankruptcy prior to his marriage. During the course of their marriage, she had been making payments on time on her credit cards and allowing payments on his to be late constantly. He trusted her with the finances since he was always working on the road. She has now filed for divorce and he is seeking criminal charges against her and her new boyfriend. The children are caught in the middle and have no clue what is going on. In the end, the lawyers will benefit from the whole charade.
        That'd be interesting to see how it turns out. Criminal charges for what? If he trusted her to take care of the finances, how can he pursue criminal charges because she paid them late?

My aunt had this in reverse happen to her. Husband was a deadbeat. He took 30k advance on her credit and bought himself a bunch of stuff and paid off his personal debt. She left him and was stuck with that debt.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

That'd be interesting to see how it turns out. Criminal charges for what? If he trusted her to take care of the finances, how can he pursue criminal charges because she paid them late?

My aunt had this in reverse happen to her. Husband was a deadbeat. He took 30k advance on her credit and bought himself a bunch of stuff and paid off his personal debt. She left him and was stuck with that debt.
          Not sure, I think he's trying to claim that she set him up. Could be just a wild goose chase his lawyer cooked up. <Shrug>
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            Not sure, I think he's trying to claim that she set him up. Could be just a wild goose chase his lawyer cooked up. <Shrug>
            Well that's not right... His attorney can't pursue criminal charges; that's up to the prosecutor. Maybe he's seeking civil damages?
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
              What about the Armenian girl in hospital that had a brick slammed into her by her American boyfriend, you see, I can provide examples as well, extreme examples, but irrespective of these examples, the conclusion for me, is that for the most part, having a kid out of wedlock is not normal among Armenians. During my parents generation, it was shameful for a couple to have a child out of wedlock. Meaning, your parents were grown adults that came to a conclusion to get a divorce. They certainly did not have a child out of wedlock. They got married, they tried their best to work it out, but then came to a conclusion to get a divorce. This process is far and apart from the situation that Mariam was in and the reason she was in this situation was because she turned her back on her Armenian values, the end.
              Explain to me how her having kids out of wedlock has some kind of causative bearing on her death. All I gather from your statement is that you are correct in pointing out that it is a contradiction of Christian values (which we as Armenians have been following for a long time, and thus it is plausible to consider bastard children as a result of abandoning those values).

Comment

I'm glad Armenian society has not been corrupted too much by the American way. And very glad sexual revolution has not taken place. I am going to fight to keep this the standard in Armenian society. By bringing the great Armenian church more close to the state is the best way and making our laws also reflect higher moral standards. In Armenia, a xxxxx like Mariam would most likely get thrown out of her house and beat up and spat upon anybody who saw her and knew her. She would never have normal life. Western ways has its ups (like education, certain elements of democracy) but also its downs, which I don't have to repeat.
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---
                "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                  I'm glad Armenian society has not been corrupted too much by the American way. And very glad sexual revolution has not taken place. I am going to fight to keep this the standard in Armenian society. By bringing the great Armenian church more close to the state is the best way and making our laws also reflect higher moral standards. In Armenia, a xxxxx like Mariam would most likely get thrown out of her house and beat up and spat upon anybody who saw her and knew her. She would never have normal life. Western ways has its ups (like education, certain elements of democracy) but also its downs, which I don't have to repeat.
                  While this is taking place in Armenia, perhaps they should also call the man a xxxxx, throw him out, beat him, and spit on him.

Comment

While this is taking place in Armenia, perhaps they should also call the man a xxxxx, throw him out, beat him, and spit on him.
                    If the man is an otar sure. But in any case it is women's fault almost entirely. And also her parents fault for not growing her up right.
                    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                    ---
                    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                      Explain to me how her having kids out of wedlock has some kind of causative bearing on her death. All I gather from your statement is that you are correct in pointing out that it is a contradiction of Christian values (which we as Armenians have been following for a long time, and thus it is plausible to consider bastard children as a result of abandoning those values).
                      Yeah, it has bearing on her death, I don't know how else to respond to your post? What do you want me to explain? Do you think its normal for a 19 year old to have a child out of wedlock? Would you want your children to have children out of wedlock? How are you trying to justify this and furthermore, how are you even going to remotely claim that within the traditional Christian Armenian family unit it is morally and socially acceptable to do this? Lastly, what is your entire agenda by continually implying that upbringing has no impact on our decisions when in fact our values are based on our upbringing and background. I really am puzzled what response you want from me?

Comment

Working...
                      X