Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

This monument is located in Sardarapat, Armavir region, Armenia

Comment

Perhaps to the interest of readers of this thread, I have posted pictures of Syrian-Armenian men who are fighting in Syria either in the army or as self-defence volunteers in their neighbourhoods.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs View Post
        I feel as if this type of training is used to see who are the Jack Frosts and the Rambos. (Jack Frosts: People who freeze up in combat, Rambos: Idiots)
        Although it just seems very strange to me, It mainly looks like physical exercise under fire. Does anyone know if they is a final test these soldiers must pass? Like a test that displays the excerises their combat ability, leadership, and wits?
        Azeri battle lamb avatar; nice solder. Does it know carrying out any military tricks?

Originally posted by Chubs View Post
        No, it is a real life picture of the strong and powerful Imperial Azebaijani Army. The most powerful and beautiful army in the world and can and will crush Russia, Iran, and China! THEN THE WORLD
        ...|
        Last edited by gegev; 12-21-2013, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Armen Mkrtchyan, a Luys scholar at MIT, is dreaming big about the sustainability of rural communities in Armenia. With a background in aeronautics and astronautics, Mkrtchyan is working on an airborne drone that can analyze the quality of soil for Armenian farmers using imagery.

Armen Mkrtchyan 194x300 A Luys Scholar’s Quest for Agricultural Sustainability Armen Mkrtchyan
          The problem farmers have faced for decades has been properly caring for the health and viability of their land. “Farmers tend to treat their farm as a homogenous piece of land, which it’s not,” he explains. “They apply the same amount of fertilizer and pesticide to the whole field, although different parts of the field don’t grow crops the same way so they don’t need the same amount of treatment. This often results in a lot of wasted fertilizer and pesticide for some areas.”

Mkrtchyan has developed a small, unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that flies by itself, like a drone. He actually calls it an “agrodrone,” which is hand-launched and flies over crop fields, taking pictures. The software Mkrtchyan has written can analyze the images and provide a vegetation health map that shows the health of areas of land.

With these images, farmers can instantly determine the acceptable growth rate. Although the idea of taking images to compute the healthiness of crops has been around for many years with the use of satellites, they work on a much larger scale. But Mkrtchyan’s drone can take pictures of a farm with much better accuracy even for small farms. Farmers can then determine how much fertilizer and pesticide to apply to which areas, thereby optimizing spending and increasing yields.

According to market research conducted mainly in the U.S., this will decrease spending by about 30 percent on chemicals and will likely improve yield by 10-20 percent, Mkrtchyan says. “This can result in significant savings, considering the low (and seasonal) monthly income of Armenian farmers.”

Mkrtchyan grew up on a farm operated by his grandparents near Mrgashat, in the region of Armavir, only a five-minute drive from the city of the same name. Their land supported an apricot orchard—where he conducted testing of the drone this past summer—and a vineyard spanning 1.2 acres, as well as cherry and other fruit trees.

“I used to work on the farm, applying fertilizer and pesticide,” he recalls. “I used to take the cattle out when I was young. They used to wake me up at 6 a.m. And I hated it, but I think its part of the process of growing up and knowing what work is.”

Mkrtchyan spent two years acquiring fundamental skills in mathematics, engineering, and physics at the department of radio-physics at Yerevan State University (YSU) before moving on to the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks in 2006 to pursue an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering. There he was at the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Engineering Lab, where a few people were working on the agrodrone idea but on a larger scale. The planes were bigger and had a 10-foot wingspan weighing 50-60 pounds, and used expensive cameras to track vegetation health.

“Then I thought, what if I can do this in a developing country much cheaper? What if a farmer doesn’t have $10,000, but maybe he can afford to pay you $20-30 per month to get this data? And that’s where the idea came: trying to create something that’s much smaller and cheaper,” he said.

He went on to obtain a master’s degree from the department of aeronautics and astronautics at MIT, where his research dealt with modeling human interaction with UAVs. He is currently pursuing a Ph.D. at the same department, which he plans on defending in 2015.

Mkrtchyan’s plane has a 4-foot wingspan compared to 10 feet, and only weighs a few pounds. It would cost only a fraction of what other competing products cost, mainly due to the custom-made camera system and various other circuitry that was designed for affordability.

Love for Luys

Armen was one of the first Luys scholars from 2009, the year he started at MIT. For him, Luys Foundation is about so much more than the funding it provides to students located throughout the Armenian World. “Luys provides a connection to the people,” Mkrtchyan explained. “It provides a community with a forum to share your ideas and not be afraid of saying something that would be considered futuristic, like my project, which is not. It’s technology at work. But Luys is about helping with resources, which I think is what its best at—connecting people. The attitude is, ‘Let’s see how far you can go, but also how far by collaborating with others who are willing to help.’”

“The Luys scholarship has given me the freedom to choose a research project that I am personally passionate about. More importantly, through Luys I have gained access to an incredible network of people who are enthusiastic about helping each other achieve their dreams. It is this network of young students, mentors, and professionals that will stay strong and continue to develop for a long time.”

Future plans

One of Mkrtchyan’s dreams is to start a research center in Armenia that would not only benefit him but also Armenian citizens. He is developing a framework for companies, small or large, who want to create products for developing or emerging countries.

“There’s been a lot of studies conducted in the past that show that products that are made for developed markets don’t really work well in developing markets,” he said. “The needs aren’t the same, people can’t afford them, and conditions are different—for a whole bunch of reasons. So I’m trying to develop this framework that we can provide to startups or financial companies to develop products.”

Most of his research is actually being conducted in Armenia. He has spoken to several IT companies in Armenia to discover how products can be developed for the Armenian market, even though most are outsourcing to foreign markets. His intent is not only to produce his UAV in Armenia but also export the product to other countries.

“If we can develop the UAV in Armenia, we can export it to the U.S., for example, and to Australia, Eastern Europe, Russia, where the market is much larger than the Armenian market,” he said.

“The plan is to have enough money raised to start the actual commercial phase rather than the developmental phase when I’m done with my studies, and not postpone until it’s too late. It’s going to be a very crowded space as UAVs are becoming very popular, so I cannot afford to wait.”

Hope this guy one day will come up with a new UAV to be used in the armed forces of Armenia.

Comment

Armenian journalists visited the Armenian Army

Comment

we maybe get AK74M for our soldiers in 2014, russians told that will give many AK74M to its friendcountryes for free

Comment

Comment

Comment

Zinuj (21.12.2013)

Comment

Armenian Army

Comment

Working...
                      X