Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

You guys hear about Israel using Azerbaijan's airfields? Disgusting how Azerbaijan has become Israel's dog. Becoming more pro-Israel than US lol...
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      You guys hear about Israel using Azerbaijan's airfields? Disgusting how Azerbaijan has become Israel's dog. Becoming more pro-Israel than US lol...
      Report: Israel's "Secret Staging Ground" Is Azerbaijan
      March 28, 2012 - 8:30pm, by Joshua Kucera The Bug Pit Azerbaijan Iran Israel

Israel has gained access to airfields in Azerbaijan, possibly so that Israeli aircraft could land there after attacking Iran, a new report in Foreign Policy magazine says:

[F]our senior diplomats and military intelligence officers say that the United States has concluded that Israel has recently been granted access to airbases on Iran's northern border. To do what, exactly, is not clear. "The Israelis have bought an airfield," a senior administration official told me in early February, "and the airfield is called Azerbaijan."

Senior U.S. intelligence officials are increasingly concerned that Israel's military expansion into Azerbaijan complicates U.S. efforts to dampen Israeli-Iranian tensions, according to the sources. Military planners, I was told, must now plan not only for a war scenario that includes the Persian Gulf -- but one that could include the Caucasus.
      A few weeks ago, when Azerbaijan's $1.6 billion arms deal with Israel was announced, this blog discounted the idea that Azerbaijan would get involved in a potential Israeli attack on Iran, arguing that the risks for Azerbaijan are too high and the potential gains unclear. The exception would be if Azerbaijan's influence were so discreet as to allow Baku some plausible deniability; then Iran probably wouldn't stand to gain from attacking Azerbaijan. According to the FP report, the most likely use for the Azerbaijan airfields would be so that Israeli aircraft could land there after an attack, obviating the need for mid-air refueling en route to Iran, which Israel isn't particularly experienced with and which would reduce the amount of weapons the planes could take on each sortie:

The U.S. intelligence and diplomatic officials told me they believe that Israel has gained access to these airbases through a series of quiet political and military understandings. "I doubt that there's actually anything in writing," added a senior retired American diplomat who spent his career in the region. "But I don't think there's any doubt -- if Israeli jets want to land in Azerbaijan after an attack, they'd probably be allowed to do so...."

Access to such airfields is important for Israel, because it would mean that Israeli F-15I and F-16I fighter-bombers would not have to refuel midflight during a strike on Iran's nuclear facilities, but could simply continue north and land in Azerbaijan. Defense analyst David Isenberg describes the ability to use Azeri airfields as "a significant asset" to any Israel strike, calculating that the 2,200-mile trip from Israel to Iran and back again would stretch Israel's warplanes to their limits. "Even if they added extra fuel tanks, they'd be running on fumes," Isenberg told me, "so being allowed access to Azeri airfields would be crucial."

Former CENTCOM commander Gen. Joe Hoar simplified Israel's calculations: "They save themselves 800 miles of fuel," he told me in a recent telephone interview. "That doesn't guarantee that Israel will attack Iran, but it certainly makes it more doable."
      I'm not sure that would afford Azerbaijan the deniability they'd need to avoid a retaliatory attack from Iran. Surely Iran would be able to see where the Israeli jets were going after their attack. Azerbaijan's defense minister visited Tehran earlier this month and promised that Azerbaijan would not be used as a launchpad from which to attack Iran. FP reports: "A U.S. military intelligence officer noted that Azeri defense minister did not explicitly bar Israeli bombers from landing in the country after a strike. Nor did he rule out the basing of Israeli search-and-rescue units in the country." That is a pretty legalistic parsing of Azerbaijan's promises, and it seems unlikely Tehran would think much of it.

So what is Azerbaijan thinking here?

That just goes to show you what kind of backstabbing country azerbaijan is. The agreement is probably if Israel attacks Iran with azerbaijan's help then azerbaijan would receive Northern Iran or maybe Israel would aid azerbaijan in an attack against Karabakh. I think it could be one of those 2 options because why else would azerbaijan risk pissing Iran off. I wonder what Russia thinks of all this?
      Last edited by ninetoyadome; 03-28-2012, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Azerbaijani soldier’s father asks ICRC to visit his son in Armenian captivity

[ 29 Mar 2012 17:38 ]
        Baku. Kamala Guliyeva – APA. Father of the Azerbaijani soldier Akhundzadeh Mammadbagir captured by Armenians in Terter region of Azerbaijan on January 23, 2012, is concerned about that ICRC representatives don’t visit his son in captivity.

Talib Akhundzadeh told APA that he worries about his son’s fate and addressed the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) asking to visit his son: “I was told that ICRC representatives will visit Mammadbaghir soon. I addressed the relevant state agencies of Azerbaijan to assist return of my son to home. I was told that they are working for his return.”

Corporal of Azerbaijani Army Akhundzadeh Mammadbaghuir Talib, born 1990, was captured by the Armenians near Yukhari Chayli village of Azerbaijan’s Terter region on line of contact between the Armenian and Azerbaijani troops. Defense Ministry of Azerbaijan confirmed the fact of captivity. ICRC representatives visited him on February 14, 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by ninetoyadome View Post
          Report: Israel's "Secret Staging Ground" Is Azerbaijan
          March 28, 2012 - 8:30pm, by Joshua Kucera The Bug Pit Azerbaijan Iran Israel

Israel has gained access to airfields in Azerbaijan, possibly so that Israeli aircraft could land there after attacking Iran, a new report in Foreign Policy magazine says:

A few weeks ago, when Azerbaijan's $1.6 billion arms deal with Israel was announced, this blog discounted the idea that Azerbaijan would get involved in a potential Israeli attack on Iran, arguing that the risks for Azerbaijan are too high and the potential gains unclear. The exception would be if Azerbaijan's influence were so discreet as to allow Baku some plausible deniability; then Iran probably wouldn't stand to gain from attacking Azerbaijan. According to the FP report, the most likely use for the Azerbaijan airfields would be so that Israeli aircraft could land there after an attack, obviating the need for mid-air refueling en route to Iran, which Israel isn't particularly experienced with and which would reduce the amount of weapons the planes could take on each sortie:

I'm not sure that would afford Azerbaijan the deniability they'd need to avoid a retaliatory attack from Iran. Surely Iran would be able to see where the Israeli jets were going after their attack. Azerbaijan's defense minister visited Tehran earlier this month and promised that Azerbaijan would not be used as a launchpad from which to attack Iran. FP reports: "A U.S. military intelligence officer noted that Azeri defense minister did not explicitly bar Israeli bombers from landing in the country after a strike. Nor did he rule out the basing of Israeli search-and-rescue units in the country." That is a pretty legalistic parsing of Azerbaijan's promises, and it seems unlikely Tehran would think much of it.

So what is Azerbaijan thinking here?

That just goes to show you what kind of backstabbing country azerbaijan is. The agreement is probably if Israel attacks Iran with azerbaijan's help then azerbaijan would receive Northern Iran or maybe Israel would aid azerbaijan in an attack against Karabakh. I think it could be one of those 2 options because why else would azerbaijan risk pissing Iran off. I wonder what Russia thinks of all this?
          Russia has moved a huge number of troops north of Azerbadjan. I posted an article about it the other day. Many batalions including special forces. Something big could be bruing here and i hate the fact that Armenia is always caught up in the middle of all these wars between super powers. Our biggest problem is that we do not have a border with Russia and Russian reinforcements may have a hard time getting to us if needed. If the azeris loose this kind of war they will be done as a state but the same can be said for Armenia to so the stakes are very high for both sides.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
            Russia has moved a huge number of troops north of Azerbadjan. I posted an article about it the other day. Many batalions including special forces. Something big could be bruing here and i hate the fact that Armenia is always caught up in the middle of all these wars between super powers. Our biggest problem is that we do not have a border with Russia and Russian reinforcements may have a hard time getting to us if needed. If the azeris loose this kind of war they will be done as a state but the same can be said for Armenia to so the stakes are very high for both sides.
            Is there any information about where in Dagestan the troops are located? and has Russia given any reason they have been moved there?

Comment

We must find solutions in the past , how our forefathers did with Parthia to the south of us ? History repeats its self folks we must be smart this time choose our moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Etchmiadzin View Post
                Is there any information about where in Dagestan the troops are located? and has Russia given any reason they have been moved there?
                from old news i read theyr near azeri border,russia gives reason for trainings and special force for destroy caucasian terrorists.

Comment

Armenian Army
                  The front line

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                    The danger to Israel is Egypt, not Iran and the Iranians are way out of their depth with Izzy and his Turkish cronies.

'Azerbaijan granted Israel access to air bases on Iran border'

Foreign Policy quotes U.S. diplomats as saying that 'Israel is deeply embedded in Azerbaijan' and says intelligence officials worried that Israel's military involvement in Azerbaijan would complicate efforts to reduce Israeli-Iranian tensions.

Israel has been granted access to air bases in Azerbaijan on Iran's northern border, Foreign Policy reported Wednesday, quoting senior U.S. diplomats and military intelligence officials.

"The Israelis have bought an airfield," a senior U.S. administration official told Foreign Policy's Mark Perry, "and the airfield is called Azerbaijan."

According to the report, U.S. intelligence officials are worried that Israel's military involvement in Azerbaijan would make it more difficult for the U.S. to reduce Israeli-Iranian tensions. Apparently now, military planners must prepare for a war scenario that would also involve the Caucasus.

"We're watching what Iran does closely," said a U.S. intelligence officer involved in assessing the consequences of a potential Israeli strike on Iran. "But we're now watching what Israel is doing in Azerbaijan. And we're not happy about it."

In February, Israel signed a $1.6 billion arms deal with Azerbaijan, committing to sell drones and anti-aircraft missile defense systems to Baku. According to a retired U.S. diplomat, the deal left Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan "sputtering in rage," since Israel had previously canceled a contract to develop drones with the Turkish military.

The report said that the Azeri military has four abandoned, Soviet-era airfields that could be available to Israel and four air bases for their own aircraft, quoting the International Institute for Strategic Studies' Military Balance 2011.

U.S. officials told Foreign Policy that they believe Israel has been granted access to these air bases through a "series of quiet political and military understandings."

"I doubt that there's actually anything in writing," said a former U.S. diplomat who spent his career in the region. "But I don't think there's any doubt - if Israeli jets want to land in Azerbaijan after an attack, they'd probably be allowed to do so. Israel is deeply embedded in Azerbaijan, and has been for the last two decades."
                    http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...order-1.421428

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                      If war does break out Armenia will be able to defend themselves against azerbaijan. If Turkey enters the war and attacks Armenia, why they would attack Armenia i dont know, it will be devastating. Israel will use azerbaijan to attack Iran so Iran will attack azerbaijan. Russia will also attack azerbaijan, hopefully because of the agreement Armenia and Russia signed a few years back stating Russia will attack anyone that attacks Armenia. That would cause Israel to back off and hopefully Iran, Russia and Armenia keep attacking and split up azerbaijan. I know this will not happen as the US and Turkey will never allow that outcome but a guy can dream cant he?

Also
                      Armenia, U.S. Set To Expand Military Cooperation
                      Defense Minister Seyran Ohanian expects Armenia's military cooperation with the United States to broaden in the near future after a series of high-level meetings he held in Washington last week.

Seyran Ohanian paid a working visit to the United States on March 19-23 during which he met at the Pentagon with U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta and also held meetings with other senior American officials, including CIA Director David Petraeus.

Talking to RFE/RL’s Armenian Service (Azatutyun.am) on Thursday, the Armenian defense minister said military cooperation with the United States was in its “normal course”.

“It expands from year to year particularly in terms of assistance in the implementation of reforms and on the level of expertise on all matters,” Ohanian said. “We will expand our cooperation within the framework of existing programs.”

In April, the U.S. and Armenian militaries are expected to hold their first-ever joint exercises aimed at improving the interoperability of their forces deployed in Afghanistan. A top official from the U.S. European Command discussed preparations for the weeklong exercises with Ohanian during a visit to Yerevan last month.

Plans for the landmark drills were first made public after Armenian Deputy Defense Minister Davit Tonoyan paid a visit to Washington in July 2011 for what official Yerevan described as “defense consultations” with U.S. Assistant Secretary of Defense Alexander Vershbow and other senior Pentagon officials.

Tonoyan visited Washington shortly after Armenia almost tripled its participation in NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) for Afghanistan. It currently has about 130 troops on the ground.

During Ohanian’s March 23 meeting at the Pentagon, U.S. Defense Chief Panetta also expressed appreciation for Yerevan’s “strong contributions” to the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan and to the NATO-led peacekeeping force in Kosovo.
                      Defense Minister Seyran Ohanian expects Armenia's military cooperation with the United States to broaden in the near future after a series of high-level meetings he held in Washington last week.

according to this article the Americans love Ohanian
                      Last edited by ninetoyadome; 03-29-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X