Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Iranian-Armenian relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iranian-Armenian relations

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
    Persian hospitality is very famous.....you will also discover a phenomenon called "Tarof". There is no getting away from that one.
    The only thing that may be a problem is language barrier, I probably will have to learn some Farsi before going.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      The only thing that may be a problem is language barrier, I probably will have to learn some Farsi before going.
      Most Iranian can speak English as well....meet up with Armenians there, they will set you up if you ever go.
      B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

I will go when the politics in the Middle East calms down, don't want to by accident get caught in a demonstration and be jailed for spying or something. If I go, I'll probably drive down from Armenia with my family or relatives.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I will go when the politics in the Middle East calms down, don't want to by accident get caught in a demonstration and be jailed for spying or something. If I go, I'll probably drive down from Armenia with my family or relatives.
          Politics hasn't calmed down in the Middle East for over 2000 years
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Mos, you crack me up brother; There are tens of thousands of Armenians in Iran. Nobody is going to arrest you for spying (LMAO!). Just wait till the democracy-demonstrations settle down so you can have a good tourist experience. As a historical footnote, Armenians never did crazy things in Iran like spying and Iranians just consider Armenians good Christian people (as opposed to some of the nutcase TV preachers in the U.S. -- look up "Benny Hinn" to see what I am talking about). Every time some foreign power tried to bait Armenians into being their puppets in Iran, the Armenians said 'look we've known the Iranians for thousands of years, we get along.' And this is the secret to good relations - it's worked for centuries.

Monte Melkonian spent a lot of time in Iran in the 1980s, so I think you will be fine. Just make some friends with some Parskahye (Persian-Armenians).

ARMENIAN CHURCHES IN IRAN:
            Christians of iran - Majority are Orthodox and there are also Anglican and Roman Catholics. Assyrian and Armenian churches are seen through out Iran. Christi...

Archbishop Sebouh Sarkissian assures Pope Benedict that Christians and Muslims have good relations in Iran for centuries and that they do not feel threatened. For example, the Iranian Constitution explicitly protects Armenian rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDJEyyrmR4U
            Last edited by Persopolis; 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
              Politics hasn't calmed down in the Middle East for over 2000 years
              I was referring more to the current protests that have been going on. I wouldn't want to be in Iran during opposition protests for example.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---

Comment

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
                Mos, you crack me up brother; There are tens of thousands of Armenians in Iran. Nobody is going to arrest your for spying (LMAO!). Just wait till the democracy-demonstrations settle down so you can have a good tourist experience. As a historical footnote, Armenians never did crazy things in Iran like spying and Iranians just consider Armenians good Christian people (as opposed to some of the nutcase TV preachers in the U.S. -- look up "Benny Hinn" to see what I am talking about). Every time some foreign power tried to bait Armenians into being their puppets in Iran, the Armenians said 'look we've known the Iranians for thousands of years, we get along.' And this is the secret to good relations - it's worked for centuries.

Monte Melkonian spent a lot of time in Iran in the 1980s, so I think you will be fine. Just make some friends with some Parskahye (Persian-Armenians).

ARMENIAN CHURCHES IN IRAN:
                Christians of iran - Majority are Orthodox and there are also Anglican and Roman Catholics. Assyrian and Armenian churches are seen through out Iran. Christi...

Archbishop Sebouh Sarkissian assures Pope Benedict that Christians and Muslims have good relations in Iran for centuries and that they do not feel threatened. For example, the Iranian Constitution explicitly protects Armenian rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDJEyyrmR4U
                Yes I greatly appreciate the hospitality and rights Armenians have enjoyed in Iran. People often underestimate Iran's treatment towards religious minorities because of the heavy propaganda against Iran.

I would probably go with family/relatives there since I have no contacts in Iran. I will definitely visit our churches there. For some reason, I also really like the Iranian dress shirts with no collars, that politicians wear, I'll be sure to buy quite a few when I'm there
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---

Comment

Persopolis:

Would you mind finding some articles in Farsi which deal with Armenia and Iran's energy relations. and then maybe translate a few of them or at least provide a quick summary of what the article states? I know PressTV is an English language news outlet from Iran, but I think there may be better stuff in Farsi on other sites.

Thanks!
                  For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                  to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                    Persopolis:

Would you mind finding some articles in Farsi which deal with Armenia and Iran's energy relations. and then maybe translate a few of them or at least provide a quick summary of what the article states? I know PressTV is an English language news outlet from Iran, but I think there may be better stuff in Farsi on other sites.

Thanks!
                    U.S. Pressuring Iran to not provide Armenia with energy. (My opinion is that the U.S. policy is shameless.)
                    http://www.eurasianet.org/department...v062107a.shtml

Construction will begin this year of a pipeline taking oil from Iran to Armenia.
                    http://www.ecasb.com/home-fa.html (in Persian)
                    In English: http://www.ecasb.com/newsdetail-4174-en.html

Iran to help Armenia with Petro/Gas/Hydro energy development: Armenian-Iranian cooperation in energy sector encompasses supplies of Iranian gas to Armenia through Iran-Armenian pipeline, seasonal electricity swaps. The two countries will also build hydraulic power plants on the rive of Arax separating both countries and a fuel pipeline from Iran to Armenia.
                    http://www.arka.am/eng/energy/2010/11/09/22335.html

Iran helping to build-up Armenian economy and renewable energy sources: Armenian energy minister Armen Movsisian said last week the feasibility plan for construction of a hydro power plant on the border River of Arax separating Armenia form Iran was ready. He said the construction was set to start early next year. He said the hydro power plant, which will be located near the southern Armenian town of Meghri, will have a 130-140 MW capacity to generate annually about 850 million kWh electricity. Movsisian said it will be a unique hydro power plant in this region to benefit both Iran and Armenia. He said the beneficial legal framework and the tariff policy have made construction of small hydro power plants a very attractive business. Armenia has now 50 small hydro power plants and another 50 are being constructed. The minister said also Armenian power grid will be used for a swap of electricity between Georgia and Iran. To that end a third Iran-Armenia power transmission line is being built.

Iran to boost oil exports to Armenia.
                    http://www.globalenergymagazine.com/?p=2819

Persian new service: (2004) Iran described the relationship between Iran and Armenia as a benchmark of peaceful co-existence and cooperation between neighbors with a longstanding shared history of respect. Iran published a statement: "Armenia’s long history as well as its talented, diligent and self-confident people has had a great impact on the human civilisations”, he (the Iranian minister) added at the end of the first round of meeting with his Armenian host, Robert Kucharian.

(There's a lot more info - will keep you posted by supplementing my post here. My personal feeling is that Iran is trying to develop Armenia's economy out of a spirit of friendship - Iran has many more markets available for the export of its products (e.g. China / Russia), but a real attempt is being made to help Armenians. Unfortunately it looks like some outside powers are trying to interfere..)
                    Last edited by Persopolis; 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
                      (There's a lot more info - will keep you posted by supplementing my post here. My personal feeling is that Iran is trying to develop Armenia's economy out of a spirit of friendship - Iran has many more markets available for the export of its products (e.g. China / Russia), but a real attempt is being made to help Armenians. Unfortunately it looks like some outside powers are trying to interfere..)
                      I don't believe Iran is trading with Armenia, because it feels bad for Armenia. That's not how countries run politics. Right now strategically for Iran, it makes sense to have good relations with Armenia - and given the economic restrictions and embargoes, trading with Armenia is a win-win. If having relations with Armenia was in some way harmful there wouldn't be any relations. To think that there is such a thing as "friendship" or "brotherhood" in politics is ridicolous and childish. Every country does what it can for its own gains and interests. Today, we are good with Iran because it serves our interests, who knows tomorrow this may not be the case. Relations between countries are dynamic, friends can become enemies, enemies can become friends...
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X