Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Should Turkey compensate-your thoughts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Turkey compensate-your thoughts?

Is it unrealistic to expect Turkey to compensate? They won't give us our lands back, that's for sure; however I think they should be made to compensate monetary losses to genocide descendants which should be used to improve Armenia.
    On one side we have Dashnaktsutyun wanting material compensation, on the other we have the president, Robert Kocharyan only wanting moral compensation. What are your thoughts?

"According to Ashot Melqonyan, head of the RA Science National Academy History Institute, the Armenian Genocide must be transferred from the scientific field into the political. He thinks that in the international level the term «Turkey's responsibility» must be used alongside with «Recognition and Condemnation of Armenian Genocide».

Today during the conference devoted to the 90th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide Mr. Melqonyan expressed opinion that moral compensation is not enough. According to him, compensation can be both material and territorial. «For example, the issue of Ani ruins is not connected with territorial compensation as the area of 44 square kilometers can be compensated only materially».

Let us remind you that in an interview given to a Turkish journalist Robert Kocharyan has said that the confirmation of historical fairness does not presuppose material compensation or territorial demands.

And according to Prime Minister Andranik Margaryan, the Armenian nation has already answered for the 1915 Genocide. «We have an independent country and our national will is so strong that we will always remember that crime», he announced today.

By the way, Turkish journalists were present at the conference.

Link
    Yes, monetary or material compensation is a must
    38.24%
    No, just recognize the genocide
    38.24%
    Other
    23.53%

they will never compensate. its unrealsitic to even say that becuase them doing that would mean they would have to say they commited genocide.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmenianKid
      they will never compensate. its unrealsitic to even say that becuase them doing that would mean they would have to say they commited genocide.
      Obviously, that is after genocide recognition.

Comment

There's no point discussing this. It's just another one of Turkey's tactics to avoid recognition. As father Mouradian in Holland said, "We have begged and requested in the 20th century. Now the time has come to demand." That may or may not include compensation for some Armenians. Turkey still has no right to refuse recognition just because there are Armenians out there who want more than moral compensation. Compensation should be given to all Armenians who want it, as long as it is realistic.

Comment

People who want to recognize the genocide for monetary gain are doing it for the wrong reason and making us look bad. Turkey uses people like them as representatives of all Armenians and their quest for recognition. I think when people have the records of their ancestors, which is rare, they should be able to get something seeing as the lands and such were unfairly confesgated, but overall reparations for all Armenians is both stupid and pointless. It'd never happen anyway. Like with black reparations, how can you prove which Armenians had ancestors killed in the genocide? Which were severely affected by it, which had already emigrated and not affected? How much should each person get? If you think about it also, each family was affected in different degrees, varying from not much to extremely so, and if you look up the various branches of your family tree you'll find different families with these varying degrees. Therefor it's impossible to come up with any sort of formula that equates amount suffered to amount Turkey pays you.
          This is certainly an issue, a small one, but of no use to even discuss until recognition because it's futile and gives Turkey a reason to keep themselves in denial.

Comment

Of course they need to first admit the genocide, and feel sorry for the deaths they caused. (above all else) Otherwise they are monsters.

In terms of the actual poll question: When a theif steals something, he doesn't just get punished for the stealing, he is forced to return the property. That's all I am going to say about that.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
              Of course they need to first admit the genocide, and feel sorry for the deaths they caused. (above all else) Otherwise they are monsters.

In terms of the actual poll question: When a theif steals something, he doesn't just get punished for the stealing, he is forced to return the property. That's all I am going to say about that.
              While I agree ArmoBarbi, unfortunately many of today's relatives, even with recognition, make the return of property impossible. Most people have no records of the lands they lost, and can't prove their families ever owned those lands for the most part. Besides that, Turks own those properties now and would certainly not give them back to Armenians. Besides that, in order to reclaim property, we'd have to actually return to live there. Whether it's getting back the individual houses of our ancestors, or a portion of territory, either way Armenians would not leave to repopulate those lands. The old Armenian territories are some of the most backwards stagnate areas of Turkey, can you imagine moving from the suburbs of America to the sparsely populated Kurdish hinterlands of Turkey? Some, the most nationalistic, would, but that's not nearly enough to do any use in getting it back. Not that I wouldn't like to see it happen, especially with realistic things like small portions by the border like Ani and Ararat. Those are both symbolic and wouldn't require populating a large area. I'd love that, but as you know it's hardly a reality in today's world, or any other I'm afraid.

Comment

Youaremad Everything is possible, even now. We got Artsakh back, why not the rest of Armenia? Americans are invading Iraq as we speak. Why can we not invade so-called "Turkey"? Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by nairi
                  Youaremad Everything is possible, even now. We got Artsakh back, why not the rest of Armenia? Americans are invading Iraq as we speak. Why can we not invade so-called "Turkey"? Just saying.
                  Hahaha comparing the US's invasions to Armenia. Think about the demographics of these situations then get back to me on why its not possible.
                  And I'm not celebrating the reconquering of Artsakh until the international community does so. While I do think Azerbaijan will eventually have to come around and face facts that they lost it (American ambassador to Armenia said giving NK back to Azeris would be "a disaster"- thank goodness, I was really beginning to think foreign diplomats were hopeless), but I don't quite trust anyone either. You indeed never know what is going to happen, but Armenia getting any of Turkey's land I fear isn't one even a possibility. At least not in the next 20 years. Who knows what might happen later though.

Comment

Why does asking for monetary compensation "make us look bad"? Hasn't Germany been paying Holocaust survivors reparation payments? What makes this any different? And IAmMad, If you think it's hard to prove which Armenians had ancestors killed in the genocide, Turkey can still pay the amount necessary for 1.5 million deaths to Armenian charity groups!

Comment

Working...
                    X