Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Should Turkey compensate-your thoughts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Siamanto
    Moral compensation? What's in it for us? I view the recognition of the Genocide as a step that leads to restitution!

All living organisms are created from - and thanks to - Mother Earth.? My genes have taken thousands of years to be codified: a code that has traces of those Lands and reflects the essence of those Lands.
    Somehow, we belong to those Lands and those Lands belong to us.

Monetary compensation means nothing to me: it's about our Lands that have nurtured and gave birth to our Culture, our Heritage, our Soul.

Of course, the naive adept of a trend called "Realpolitik" would label me as a dreamer. Unfortunately, the narrowness of their scope disallow them to realize that beyond the over simplified refrain that they have learned to repeatedly recite, there's something called History and it's surprises.
    "Unrealistic" has a meaning only within a limited scope of time.

I'll have a glass of Cointreau in Western Armenia! Anybody cares to join me?

I simply say all stolen property must be returned whether it was a flower bed stolen by my neighbor or most of my ancestors' home land stolen by a nation of pretentious Asiatics. If they wanna pay us to feel better - there are Armenian charities. As for the land - its not their choice, stolen property must be returned.

Comment

How many of you, if the lands of your grandparents were given back tomorrow, would go and settle there? Be honest now.

Comment

Originally posted by Diar Dants
        How many of you, if the lands of your grandparents were given back tomorrow, would go and settle there? Be honest now.
        This is a question I often ask (ussually followed by a "get real" and "do you really understand anything at all") - I do think though that this issue of "would you move there" is perhaps a bit unfair - but no more so I guess then the supposition that we are due to be handed these lands back on a silver platter or that we should go to war and kill and/or drive off those who live their now just to be able to stake out some (not really too economically viable) real estate on a map (unless perhaps you have a penchant for growing olives and or sunflowers...) - etc. Even this issue of going back if the Turks completely changed face and provided incentives for Armenians to come back (after having admitted to everything etc etc) is perhaps equally unrealisitic (in our lifetime certainly...but one never knows...one day..they are EU, Armenia is EU, Christian birth rates down - EU provides incentives for Christians from around the world to emigrate - etc - just one of perhaps unlimited possibilities for the future...who is to predict?)...all that being said I have to answer your question a resoundig Yes!! Yeah - well I'd love to have a few buildings located in the poshest/trendiest section of town near Taksim square where I could perhaps retire to an amazing flat with an incredible view and enjoy the wonderful city meanwhile (with all of its history and good food etc) collecting rental income and such...sounds like a plan really....too bad we didn't have any (waterfront) property in Bodrum Or Feteiye (that I know of) eh? ...lets see with beautiful white sand beach, a deepwater dock, vinyards (of course) - lets see what else (dreaming dreaming... )...hm...

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
          Bell, If it wasn’t for Diaspora Armenians, the Genocide would have never received the recognition it has. It was the Diaspora who got it recognized in Canada, France, etc. You've mentioned this before too, so what is it about the Diaspora that you don‘t like, and I’m not asking for Albanians or Iraqis living abroad… Armenians specifically?

Because of the reasons I have stated earlier.

And because it is often reduced to the level of propaganda thrown about by two ethnic groups - little wonder most people think "to hell with both of them - I've got better things to do than listen to that rabble!"

And it is used by the leaders of Armenian groups to enforce the status-quo amongst Armenian comunities and stifle legitimate internal dissent (I've seen phrases like "don't dare direct accusations at us because we all should stand united as a community at this time in seeking justice against Turkey" used on a number of occassions).

And because, for many Armenian individuals, regarding Genocide issues, I distrust their motives and believe that most moralising against Turkey is nothing more than for show. Ask Winoman, that one's superficial good intentions were dropped with absolutely no difficulty when he saw the opportunity to satiate his base desires.

And because the only "recognition" that really matters is recognition by historians. I don't give a xxxx about politicians, they make me want to vomit, and anyone who thinks the opinions of politicians matter has got some serious misjudgments going on in their head.
          Last edited by bell-the-cat; 04-21-2005, 03:55 PM.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I don't want it so I can personally have a peice. I want it for my country. I want Armenia to have what is rightfully hers. Sentimental, I know.

Comment

I don't understand, what is the big deal about living in Armenia? I have friends from Iran who went there to study... this is probably the 3rd time this question was raised in this very thread. I have a 26 year old cousin who moved there with his father to run their business. And guess what? He loves it there! The guy was born here for God's sake. And Baron, you should be the last one to ask this, wino maybe lol. Besides, so what if no one moves back? Their own people will settle there eventually. Nothing wrong with having more land.

PS we're not getting our lands back.
              Last edited by CatWoman; 04-21-2005, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I'm not saying there is a big deal. I think pretty much everyone knows that I will be moving back.

My point was that, we have many people sitting in North America talking about how we have this connection to our ancestral land, and it is in our genes, and it is our right to have them back, yet most of them, despite their very overly patriotic and nationalistic paragraphs, would not even intend to live there.

So basically, we tell God knows how many million Turks and Kurds to move out of their homes, and we leave the land empty. I just don't seem to grasp the entire logic behind that.

Comment

WE dont have to go there personally, for the NATION to use it. Maybe Ill spend time living there, maybe I wont. I just wanna see Armenia prosper.

Comment

That's a different argument than the whole "the land is in my genes" thing someone else was saying.

Anyways, I don't think the prosperity of Armenia will come through some run-down real-estate.

Comment

That's a different argument than the whole "the land is in my genes" thing someone else was saying.

Anyways, I don't think the prosperity of Armenia will come through some run-down real-estate.
                      Yeah why post Saroyan up on your wall if you don't understand or believe any of it...

Comment

Working...
                      X