Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Should Turkey compensate-your thoughts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
    And what are you going to do with all those ancestral lands once you miraculously get them back. Are you going to leave your NY apartment and move to some village near Moush or Erzurum?

Jews from Europe had been returning in substantial numbers to live in Palestine for about 100 years prior to 1947 - it was a political and intellectual decision for them. How many Armenians have moved to eastern Turkey since whatever date you want to mention - not one.

I dont understand what you are trying to say. Are you suggesting no Armenians have moved to armenia now so what makes you think they will with the addition of new lands? Well if you are implying that let me just remind you that the newly founded state of Israel had numerous of "loans" given to it by not only America but many western countries, not to mention the compensation if gets from Germany now. Let me also state that the nature of your arguement only further proves my hypothesis that as long as armenians argue with eachother, this race is destined for failure. Perhaps you should re-evaluate your statement because the situation between Armenia's liberation from the USSR to an independent state, which is still almost entirely dependent on russia in the economic sector and the energy, is in fact entirely different than that off the founding of the state of israel which was supported and IS STILL supported by major western powers and the united states. Why have no armenians moved to armenia or invested in it, other than the distrust they have for these armenians, can best be explained by the fact that in armenia the standard of living is at best a tid bit compared to that off ethnic jews in israel. I said it once and i say it again, the strength of this race is in its unity, and if that is what you are trying to say I AGREE, but if you are not, then you only exemplify my point.

Comment

Originally posted by o0tinerz0o
      I dont understand what you are trying to say. Are you suggesting no Armenians have moved to armenia now so what makes you think they will with the addition of new lands? Well if you are implying that let me just remind you that the newly founded state of Israel had numerous of "loans" given to it by not only America but many western countries, not to mention the compensation if gets from Germany now. Let me also state that the nature of your arguement only further proves my hypothesis that as long as armenians argue with eachother, this race is destined for failure. Perhaps you should re-evaluate your statement because the situation between Armenia's liberation from the USSR to an independent state, which is still almost entirely dependent on russia in the economic sector and the energy, is in fact entirely different than that off the founding of the state of israel which was supported and IS STILL supported by major western powers and the united states. Why have no armenians moved to armenia or invested in it, other than the distrust they have for these armenians, can best be explained by the fact that in armenia the standard of living is at best a tid bit compared to that off ethnic jews in israel. I said it once and i say it again, the strength of this race is in its unity, and if that is what you are trying to say I AGREE, but if you are not, then you only exemplify my point.
      So let's get this straight - you are expecting other countries to 1. force Turkey to abandon all of its eastern lands. 2. force most of the current inhabitants out of those lands, 3. pay, or force Turkey to pay, a couple of million Armenians enough money to induce them to abandon wherever they are currently living and move to former eastern Turkey. Be realistic! This is not going to happen, ever!!

As for this "the strength of this race is in its unity" stuff - those sort of words are the sort of things dictators say as an easy way of surpressing any views they disagree with and do not want others to hear. I know that giving racial traits to nations is unPC these days, but it still isn't too wide of the mark to say that the defining characteristic of the Armenian race is its complete lack of unity! And while that charactersitic can have negative aspects, it has many very positive aspects as well, including creativity and individuality - both of which are probably more valuable assets in the modern world than this ala-turka "racial unity" you want Armenia to have.
      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 05-01-2005, 07:11 AM.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by nairi
        Just give us a village in West Armenia, and see what happens within one generation. Why are you so pessimistic?
        I don't doubt that if Turkey does become an EU member then this sort of thing will become possible in theory. But get down to specifics - who are these "us", and who is going to do the "giving"?
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Turkey will do the giving, and don't worry about "us".

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
            So let's get this straight - you are expecting other countries to 1. force Turkey to abandon all of its eastern lands. 2. force most of the current inhabitants out of those lands, 3. pay, or force Turkey to pay, a couple of million Armenians enough money to induce them to abandon wherever they are currently living and move to former eastern Turkey. Be realistic! This is not going to happen, ever!!

As for this "the strength of this race is in its unity" stuff - those sort of words are the sort of things dictators say as an easy way of surpressing any views they disagree with and do not want others to hear. I know that giving racial traits to nations is unPC these days, but it still isn't too wide of the mark to say that the defining characteristic of the Armenian race is its complete lack of unity! And while that charactersitic can have negative aspects, it has many very positive aspects as well, including creativity and individuality - both of which are probably more valuable assets in the modern world than this ala-turka "racial unity" you want Armenia to have.

Hold on one moment, on what basis did you develop your 3 points on? I in NO WAY implyed any of those things. I dont agree with any of those points. In fact I expect Armenians to annex their own lands, whether by force or by legals means, either way we will take what is ours. Our main weakness is our LACK OF UNTITY. I exemplify the unity concept because I believe in it with all my heart, because its the very nature of this arguement that strengthens my point. It is what destroyed us and made us to weak to countless invasions over the millenia's, whether it be that the princes of provinces were too far to communicate or some armenians were traitors and turned in other armenians to turkish officials. I dont expect any nation to help us, because there were too many promises mostly from europe, that were never fulfilled. Individuality and creativity? Hmmm so we must be divided as a race in order to creative and be individuals? We must bicker amongst ourselves? Typical typical. I am not here to argue with you, I dont know you and I dont care to get to know you. I obviously dont agree with you and you dont agree with me so I'm just not going to respond anymore.

Comment

Our main weakness is our LACK OF UNTITY.
              Is that a quote from Hitler? Consider the history of Armenians - when have we ever had (or valued) "unity"? You speak like a Turk. Armenains have always een independent - that is why we excel at art, liturature, business - things that require creativity - you are calling for us to be something we are not. And for what purpose? For what ends? To take land by force? To perpetuate blood fued? Don't you understand the very many ways your thinking is flawed? - (even if you [perhaps legitimatly] feel it)? I actually have to agree with BtC on this one. Please try to understand what it is to be Armenian - what makes us special - and why we never much were into going out and subjegating others - prefering instead to do our own thing - and how good we have been at such...and also - perhaps you will need to mature a bit before you can understand - but what comes first - caring and providing for ones family or sending our children off to die for some very questionable objectives and ideals?

Comment

WEST vs EAST

I understand what you are talking about o0rtinez0o.The problem with us is that we were always divided , always.Hence for that reason we never succeded.
                Its so obvious and you can see it since the ancient times.Its very hypocritical to say that our individuality is the reason that is making us to succed and its making us unique.Thats just nonsense.It just makes it clear that many conservative Armenians still are against our Unity and because of people like them all those horible things happened to us.
                We as a nation were always divided.Our one half was under Greek rule our other was under Persian.Then the one half was going under Roman rule the other half under Parthian.After that again one half is going under Byzantian rule , the other stays independent.In the end the one is going to Cilicia the other half is staying in our homeland under the rule of the Mongols.
                This whole thing about our non unity is the Eastern and Western Armenian division.
                The Westerns dont like the Easterns the Westerns dont like the Easterns.In my opinion this is the reason we are not united and untill we get over this silly
                difrences we will never succed.I am not blaming someone in spesific.It is the fault of all of us.
                What should be done is to at last realise that we are ALL armenians we are ONE NATION.We should stop being so prejudiced with each other.That is what our friend means i beleive and i agree with him.Its just ridiculous to have always 2 communities one for Eastern Armenians and one for Westerns.This thing has to stop.Unity has nothing to do about non creativity or non succesion, that just the excuses of the conservatives.Unity is about us realising that we are ONE nation and that we should not discriminate our OWN countrymen.

Comment

I dont know you and I dont care to get to know you. I obviously dont agree with you and you dont agree with me so I'm just not going to respond anymore.
                  How very un-unifying of you.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Brigade
                    I understand what you are talking about o0rtinez0o.The problem with us is that we were always divided , always.Hence for that reason we never succeded.
                    Its so obvious and you can see it since the ancient times.Its very hypocritical to say that our individuality is the reason that is making us to succed and its making us unique.Thats just nonsense.It just makes it clear that many conservative Armenians still are against our Unity and because of people like them all those horible things happened to us.
                    We as a nation were always divided.Our one half was under Greek rule our other was under Persian.Then the one half was going under Roman rule the other half under Parthian.After that again one half is going under Byzantian rule , the other stays independent.In the end the one is going to Cilicia the other half is staying in our homeland under the rule of the Mongols.
                    This whole thing about our non unity is the Eastern and Western Armenian division.
                    The Westerns dont like the Easterns the Westerns dont like the Easterns.In my opinion this is the reason we are not united and untill we get over this silly
                    difrences we will never succed.I am not blaming someone in spesific.It is the fault of all of us.
                    What should be done is to at last realise that we are ALL armenians we are ONE NATION.We should stop being so prejudiced with each other.That is what our friend means i beleive and i agree with him.Its just ridiculous to have always 2 communities one for Eastern Armenians and one for Westerns.This thing has to stop.Unity has nothing to do about non creativity or non succesion, that just the excuses of the conservatives.Unity is about us realising that we are ONE nation and that we should not discriminate our OWN countrymen.
                    I think the 'Armenian Slang and Idioms' thread could really use this post!!
                    Anyway, I agree with you... we are not as united as we should be. Eastern Armenians too are categorized into two grops: Hayastansis and Barsgahays!

Take the genocide events in LA for example... every group and organization had its own agenda, they all went separate directions, and the results were not too impressive. I mean you would think at least for the 90th anniversary they would put their differences behind right? wrong!

Comment

Turkey should compensate Armenians if we want to uphold any concept of property rights.
                      Last edited by Anonymouse; 05-03-2005, 05:56 PM.
                      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                      X