Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Can't beat em? Join em...

Blair Wants Partnership with Russia

Great Britain and the United States will make a serious mistake if they do not form a strategic partnership with Russia, former British prime minister Tony Blair said today at the 12th annual investors’ conference in Moscow. He added that he thinks the Russian economy has not exhausted its potential for development and may continue to grow. Blair acknowledged “certain difficulties” in British-Russian relations of late, but said that Britain and the West had to take into consideration how Russia has changed in the last ten years when tackling those problems. The former prime minister also told conference attendees in Moscow that shifting centers of political and economic influence in the East are not a threat to Western countries. Rather, the process creates new opportunities for developed countries. European countries must think about attracting investors’ money, including those in the Middle East, to their countries. He said that one sovereign fund in the Persian Gulf was four times larger than the annual budget of Israel, and should be encouraged to reinvest in Europe. Blair explained that the new centers of influence in recent years are not only China and India. They include the Middle East and Russia as well.

Source: http://www.kommersant.com/p-12700/r_...mic_relations/
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Russians Withdrew $55 Bill. from European Banks

Russian clients withdrew a record $55 billion from their European bank accounts in the fourth quarter of last year. Vedomosti newspaper writes that that is the largest outflow of Russian funds in the last five years. According to the Bank for International Settlements, that was the first year since 2003 that clients from Eastern Europe withdrew funds rather than adding to their accounts. Access to international loans has become harder for the majority of Russian companies due to the credit crisis. Therefore, Russian companies rerouted funds from foreign accounts to pay for foreign debts or for other purposes. Russian investors may have transferred their funds to more promising markets. Also, the share of the Central Bank’s currency reserves in foreign banks was reduced in the fourth quarter of last year by more than $17 billion. Of the $390 billion in bad debt written off by credit organizations since the beginning of last year, about $200 billion of that amount came from European banks. The Bank for International Settlements is headquartered in Switzerland. It coordinated work between central banks and conducts economic research.

Source: http://www.kommersant.com/p-12707/in...ional_banking/

Profit of Russia’s 30 Top Banks Surged 2.4 Fold

With past year’s results taken into account, the profit of Russia’s 30 biggest banks soared 2.46 fold on year to 923,482,205 ths ruble as of May 1, 2008 from 376,035,534 ths ruble. nder the aggregate balance report of Russia’s 30 biggest banks released by the CBR, this year’s profit equaled 126,937,903 ths ruble, while the profit-disposition item set forth 122,937,540 ths ruble. The aggregate assets of 30 biggest banks widened by 25.73 percent from 12,019,631,653 ths ruble as of May 1, 2007 to 15,112,634,865 ths ruble as of May 1, 2008. The funds of the biggest banks with correspondent accounts of the CBR and with the authorized bodies of other countries amounted to 506,524,253 ths ruble as of May 1, the accounts with other commercial banks stood at 182,120,115 ths ruble. The liabilities of 30 biggest banks amounted to 11,904,095,073 ths ruble.

Source: http://www.kommersant.com/p-12653/r_500/Bank_profits/

Luxemburg to Invest €25bn in Russia’s Economy

The capital funds of Luxembourg will invest €25 billion in the RF economy, Jeannot Krecke, who is the economy minister of that country, told RBC. Mr Krecke is in Sochi now, heading the delegation of businessmen (roughly 30) that visited the Krasnodar region. Krecke said they have established cooperation with a few regions of Russia where they are injecting big money. The capital funds of Luxemburg plan to invest €25 billion in Russia’s economy this year. But the Krasnodar region has been out of the list of regions, where Luxembourg established its business contacts. The fruitful cooperation will begin after this visit, Krecke hoped. Power engineering, metallurgy, hotel industry are amid potential directions of cooperation, the minister specified. The meeting of businessmen from Chambers of Commerce of Sochi and Luxembourg has been slated for June 11. The current visit is the fact-finding, Krecke made clear, pointing out that they will have clearer understanding of cooperation potential between the Krasnodar region and Sochi till and after 2014. Krecke invited the delegation of Krasnodar region to Luxemburg, where the region will be presented in April 2009.

Source: http://www.kommersant.com/p-12654/r_...stment_Krecke/

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
        Well, in reality it's not "Putinism," it's more like "FSB" or "GRU"-ism. Putin was the chosen by the FSB elite to become president in their bid to come back to power in Russia. Obviously, Putin proved to be a very-very powerful choice. And again, I have always said Russia has tended to be unstable due to its nature. That is why I have said over-and-over again that Armenia needs to use this opportunity with Russia to build a powerful nation. So that if Russia falls into disarray or one day decides Armenia is not important, Armenia would be able to take care of itself without Russian support.
        Yeah, if the clowns in the country let her follow its current, natural path...

I alway said it's senseless/pointless to compared but it was you who compared in the past, not to mention individuals like Hellektor. Iran has had several hundred thousand (250K-500K) Armenians living there, most of whom have been living there for generations. The two millions Armenians of Russia (half of whom are probably recent immigrants) live in nation that has well over 125 million inhabitants and is by far the largest and most complex nation on earth. Proportionally, the Armenian population in Russia is about the same as the Armenian population in Iran. Armenians should have played a better more important role in Iran, I think. The million or so Russian-Armenians have done much-much better than all our other diaspora communities combined.

Lucin jan, you are making excuses. So, Armenians don't rise the ladder in Iran because of Islamic fundamentalism... But that's the reality in Iran. However, had Iran still been in Washington's pocket, trust me the Iranian-Armenian community there would be mobilized against the pro-Russian Armenian Republic. Secular Iran would have posed one threat, an Islamic Iran poses another. Let me ask you this question. During the "glory" years of the Shah how many Armenians could be found in the top crust of Iranian society and what were their capacity. How many Iranian-Armenians volunteered to fight in Artsakh or smuggled weapons there? The fact is. Armenians of Iran keep to themselves and are good Iranian citizens. So, if Iranians have no problems with Armenians it's because they don't have problems with Armenians. Plus, Iran's fear of Azeris help as well.
        Yea, it's pointless... I think whatever I say here will pass off either as sentimental or excuses since I'm a Persian- Armenian myself, so we may talk about it on a different occasion if you will. But there are a few inconsistencies here, regarding the two communities.

I am not going to standby that "fact." I have only heard it/read it several times from American sources. But if Tehran could conspire against Russia, which they did, they could do it against Russia's closest partner in the region, Armenia. Iran was playing both sides in Azerbaijan. Tehran tilted towards Armenia when it became apparent that Azerbaijan was going by the way of America and Turkey.

Fine. Now, we've been constantly hearing about Iran's aid to Armenia during the war. Do you know more or less about the nature of this support? Weaponry? Diplomatic or...?
        Last edited by Lucin; 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Alarmist rhetoric? Perhaps. However, theoretically the US military is currently capable of posing a serious danger to the Russian Federation. The proposed anti-missile defense systems in Western Europe, for example, are a very serious longterm threat for the Russian Federation. By its very nature, these anti-missile defense systems can potentially null the nuclear deterrence factor that keeps the peace between existing superpowers. With the help of better aerial/satellite surveillance and real time intelligence, a first strike on Russia's nuclear missile carrying submarines and land based missile silos can theoretically knock out its nuclear strike capability in one massive hit. Surviving missiles that may get fired can then be detected and shot down by a ring of early warning radar systems and their anti-missile defenses. These early waring radars and missiles are currently being positioned around the Russian federation. Whether or not the US is willing to take such a gamble is another story altogether, especially now that Russia is modernizing its armed forces. Although theoretically the danger is there, nonetheless, the US today (and for the foreseeable future) is in no shape to attempt such a dooms day scenario.

Armenian

U.S. 'plans to neutralize Russian nuclear weapons by 2012-2015'

The U.S.-proposed European missile shield will eventually spread along Russia's borders and may neutralize Russia's nuclear potential by 2012-2015, a Russian political analyst said on Wednesday. Commenting on reports that the United States and Lithuania were formally discussing deploying elements of the U.S. missile shield in the ex-Soviet Baltic state should Warsaw reject Washington's plans to station 10 interceptor missiles in Poland, Leonid Ivashov, the head of the Moscow-based Academy of Geopolitical Sciences, said: "We should expect that elements of a U.S. missile shield will be placed not only in Lithuania, but also in all territories bordering Russia and controlled by NATO." So far, the Czech Republic has agreed to host an early-warning radar on its territory. Poland has taken a tough stance in missile talks with the U.S., demanding that Washington upgrade its air defense systems in return. Ivashov said the main purpose of the U.S. global missile shield was to neutralize Russia's nuclear potential by 2012-2015 and that NATO eastward expansion was part of this plan. He said Ukraine's and Georgia's possible accession to NATO would have dire consequences for Russia's defense capability. "There is no doubt that elements of the U.S. missile shield will be placed in Georgia and Ukraine immediately after they join NATO," the analyst said, adding that Ukraine already had radars [in Mukachevo and Sevastopol] that may be used against Russia. "The U.S. wants to create an impenetrable shield capable of intercepting and destroying Russian nuclear missiles on launch pads, in the initial trajectory, in orbit and on the final trajectory," he said. Ivashov criticized the Russian leadership for "wasting time in empty rhetoric with the West," rather than taking concrete steps to counter the looming threat. He suggested that Russia should threaten to sever all relations with NATO if the U.S. missile shield is eventually placed in Europe. "Russia must also warn the European countries that...in case of a potential military confrontation...capitals, large cities, industrial and communications centers of the countries hosting elements of the U.S. missile shield will inevitably become the primary targets of [Russian] nuclear strikes."

Source: http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080618/111155009.html

U.S. can attack Russia in 2012-2015 - Russian military analyst

After 2012-2015, the U.S. will be able to annihilate Russian strategic nuclear forces by a non-nuclear preemptive strike, said Konstantin Sivkov, the first vice president of the Russian Academy of Geopolitical Problems. "I declare that the likelihood of a military threat is great as never before now," Sivkov told Interfax on Saturday. Western military experts have recently started to talk about the possibility of attacking Russia and annexing its territory, Sivkov said. "Russia is supposed to be dismembered into three parts, with the Western part going to the European Union, the central part and Siberia to the U.S., and the eastern to China. This is a rough scenario," he said. Russian armed forces will be unable to successfully counter an aggression, Sivkov said. "At the present time, the conventional armed forces cannot properly perform their duties in a regional war, like the Great Patriotic War, even in theory. Even if fully deployed, their potential is limited even in local wars. The only factor that deters [the U.S.] now is the nuclear arsenal," he said.

Source: http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/politics/...issue=11975866

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
            Yeah, if the clowns in the country let her follow its current, natural path...
            Yes Lucin, fundamentally speaking, the problem with Russia has been internal unrest. And the internal unrest in Russia has historically been imported by outside interests. Because Russia has been and continues to be so coveted by major world powers, Russian's will always have nation's conspiring against them. This situation naturally promotes unrest and turmoil within Russia's borders. However... and this is an important however, unrest is created only when the "people" are unhappy - as we saw in Armenia recently. Today, the citizenry is more-or-less satisfied with their situation in the Russian Federation. The economic situation looks very promising for them for the foreseeable future. Although the nation's infrastructure has a long way to go before it can become fully modernized, large sums of money have already begun trickling down for social services. Russia is on the rise on many levels - economic, military, political, cultural... So, don't expect for it to have any internal problems for the foreseeable future.

Yea, it's pointless... I think whatever I say here will pass off either as sentimental or excuses since I'm a Persian- Armenian myself, so we may talk about it on a different occasion if you will. But there are a few inconsistencies here, regarding the two communities.
            Lucin, I am not Russian-Armenian nor am I a Hayastantsi. I was born in Lebanon and I was raised in the United States. As a Lebanana-hai or an Amerika-hai, I can confidently and proudly state that no other Armenian community on earth is as important as the one in Russia. What I get upset is about American-Armenians, Iranian-Armenians or Lebanese Armenians looking down on Russian-Armenians or bad mouthing Russian-Armenia relations. Like I said, all the nations of the world combined have not done a fraction of what Russia has done for Armenia. The feelings some diasporan Armenians like Hellektor have regarding Russian-Armenian relations are simply speaking - absurd. The fact that these types of sentiments are also found within nationalist circles is even more so concerning.

Fine. Now, we've been constantly hearing about Iran's aid to Armenia during the war. Do you know more or less about the nature of this support? Weaponry? Diplomatic or...?
            From the beginning Tehran played both sides of the fence. This was a good strategic move on their part because Tehran could not have possibly known who would have won the struggle in the longterm. So while they had good contacts with Baku they also worked on establishing good ties with Yerevan. With Armenians gaining the upper hand with Russian support and with Turks and Americans becoming increasingly involved in the region Tehran began to side with Yerevan. From an Armenian perspective, Tehran needs to be given credit for not openly siding with Baku. They also supposedly allowed Russian weapons shipments to transit through Iran on route to Armenia and Artsakh. Also, Tehran did not close down their border with Armenia. And they continued to trade with Armenia. What they did was greatly appreciated by Yerevan. Just imagine what would have happened if Tehran chose to shut down the Iranian-Armenian border... Yes, we are very grateful. However, let's please place what Tehran did for Armenia in a balanced/proper perspective. We Armenians are grateful for their neutrality and, at times, their support against Azeris - but how dare anyone in their right mind compare what Iran did to what Russia has been doing. You simply can't even compare the two. It's hard to accept, but Armenia exists today as a state because of Russia.

Նժդեհ

Comment

as it has no economic capabilities to maintain the status quo around Karabakh, while Azerbaijan and Turkey, Iran and Russia are not interested in the settlement under the American scenario.

I don't agree with this if the author means that azerbaijan has the upper hand in relation to Armenia (including Artsakh) and its battle readiness. As we all know our military is better trained, has higher morale and the high ground. Also, the author assumes that Armenia is sincere about giving back 5of the 7 regions around Artsakh, and doesn't take into account the moronic leadership of azerbaijan who may attack Armenia either slighty before or after 2012 when their oil/gas production peaks. Not only would azerbaijan instantly lose billions in foreign investments, thus ruining its economy which is solely based on oil/gas industry, but also risk the very real danger of losing much more land. Usually when we discuss international affairs & geopolitics we assume that more or less we're dealing with rational characters, however with the statements and actions of azerbaijan, especially after kosovo's declaration of independence and the upcoming presidential elections (will make Armenia's elections look like the freest ever), it wouldn't be out of the relm of possibility for them to make a move.

Another issue not fully touched upon by the analysis is that neither Russia nor Iran wish to see a change in the status quo, while america would like to bring Armenia under control doing so is next to impossible as prominant lobby groups and policymakers put more importance on american relations with turkey and azerbaijan vis a vie israel.

As for a war with azerbaijan, it's a matter of when not if, maybe next week maybe next year or 20 years from now, but that war will either make or break Armenia and that is most certain.
              For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
              to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

After 2012-2015, the U.S. will be able to annihilate Russian strategic nuclear forces by a non-nuclear preemptive strike, said Konstantin Sivkov, the first vice president of the Russian Academy of Geopolitical Problems. "I declare that the likelihood of a military threat is great as never before now," Sivkov told Interfax on Saturday. Western military experts have recently started to talk about the possibility of attacking Russia and annexing its territory, Sivkov said. "Russia is supposed to be dismembered into three parts, with the Western part going to the European Union, the central part and Siberia to the U.S., and the eastern to China. This is a rough scenario," he said. Russian armed forces will be unable to successfully counter an aggression, Sivkov said. "At the present time, the conventional armed forces cannot properly perform their duties in a regional war, like the Great Patriotic War, even in theory. Even if fully deployed, their potential is limited even in local wars. The only factor that deters [the U.S.] now is the nuclear arsenal," he said.

Armenian, the link to interfax.ru doesn't work.

Comment

Alarmist rhetoric? Perhaps. However, theoretically the US military is currently capable of posing a serious danger to the Russian Federation. The proposed anti-missile defense systems in Western Europe, for example, are a very serious longterm threat for the Russian Federation. By its very nature, these anti-missile defense systems can potentially null the nuclear deterrence factor that keeps the peace between existing superpowers. With the help of better aerial/satellite surveillance and real time intelligence, a first strike on Russia's nuclear missile carrying submarines and land based missile silos can theoretically knock out its nuclear strike capability in one massive hit. Surviving missiles that may get fired can then be detected and shot down by a ring of early warning radar systems and their anti-missile defenses. These early waring radars and missiles are currently being positioned around the Russian federation. Whether or not the US is willing to take such a gamble is another story altogether, especially now that Russia is modernizing its armed forces. Although theoretically the danger is there, nonetheless, the US today (and for the foreseeable future) is in no shape to attempt such a dooms day scenario.

Armenian

U.S. 'plans to neutralize Russian nuclear weapons by 2012-2015'

The U.S.-proposed European missile shield will eventually spread along Russia's borders and may neutralize Russia's nuclear potential by 2012-2015, a Russian political analyst said on Wednesday. Commenting on reports that the United States and Lithuania were formally discussing deploying elements of the U.S. missile shield in the ex-Soviet Baltic state should Warsaw reject Washington's plans to station 10 interceptor missiles in Poland, Leonid Ivashov, the head of the Moscow-based Academy of Geopolitical Sciences, said: "We should expect that elements of a U.S. missile shield will be placed not only in Lithuania, but also in all territories bordering Russia and controlled by NATO." So far, the Czech Republic has agreed to host an early-warning radar on its territory. Poland has taken a tough stance in missile talks with the U.S., demanding that Washington upgrade its air defense systems in return. Ivashov said the main purpose of the U.S. global missile shield was to neutralize Russia's nuclear potential by 2012-2015 and that NATO eastward expansion was part of this plan. He said Ukraine's and Georgia's possible accession to NATO would have dire consequences for Russia's defense capability. "There is no doubt that elements of the U.S. missile shield will be placed in Georgia and Ukraine immediately after they join NATO," the analyst said, adding that Ukraine already had radars [in Mukachevo and Sevastopol] that may be used against Russia. "The U.S. wants to create an impenetrable shield capable of intercepting and destroying Russian nuclear missiles on launch pads, in the initial trajectory, in orbit and on the final trajectory," he said. Ivashov criticized the Russian leadership for "wasting time in empty rhetoric with the West," rather than taking concrete steps to counter the looming threat. He suggested that Russia should threaten to sever all relations with NATO if the U.S. missile shield is eventually placed in Europe. "Russia must also warn the European countries that...in case of a potential military confrontation...capitals, large cities, industrial and communications centers of the countries hosting elements of the U.S. missile shield will inevitably become the primary targets of [Russian] nuclear strikes."

Source: http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080618/111155009.html

Are these reports just propaganda amongst Russians to higher the morale or it really is happening? I mean Russian military analysts were telling that the new ss-27 is capable of avoiding any current missile deferences isnt that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    Are these reports just propaganda amongst Russians to higher the morale or it really is happening? I mean Russian military analysts were telling that the new ss-27 is capable of avoiding any current missile deferences isnt that true?
                    Good question. In my opinion, they are a combination. It's alarmist rhetoric meant to galvanize the people around the central authorities and it also holds a certain amount of truth. Russia's military today, although resurgent, is in very bad overall shape. The 1990s was disastrous for Russia not just economically, but politically, demographically, sociologically and militarily as well. The Soviet era nuclear missiles (the majority in Russia's nuclear arsenal) are said to be in very bad shape. Some analysts say that Russia's 10K plus Soviet era nuclear missiles are in such bad shape that a large percentage of them might not even function properly if used. That is why Russia is currently investing large sums in new missile projects. By the time these news missile systems fully replace the older unreliable ones it will be many years. It takes time to integrate new systems. As a result, there will be a certain time period when Russia will be, theoretically at least, vulnerable to an initial nuclear strike. This is exactly why the Kremlin has recently placed most of their spending emphasis on nuclear deterrence such as renewed strategic bomber flights, procurement of mobile TOPOL ICBMs (SS-27, land and sea versions) and the development of Iskander (SS-26) medium range nuclear missile system. It wasn't by chance that Medvedev's first presidential visitation was to a TOPOL ICBM site. Regardless of whether or not the US is capable of destroying Russia's nuclear deterrence, Moscow is taking this situation very seriously.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Load of Revenge

Russians transport missiles to Abkhazia: Georgian media: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nF1WMVTk3o

Georgian police disarmed Russian peace-keepers

Yesterday Georgia’s police released four Russian peace-keepers who were detained in the buffer zone of the Georgia-Abkhazia conflict when they transported antitank guided missiles. After a nine-hour interrogation the military were set free, but the arsenal they had carried was confiscated. Tbilisi explained the measures it took with the fact that the Russian peace-keepers had no right to appear in the conflict zone with such dangerous load. Georgia is likely to take advantage of the new scandal using it as another reason for changing the format of the peace-keeping mission in Abkhazia. Tbilisi has already handed over a note of protest to the Russian Foreign Office.
                      Yesterday Georgia’s police reported that the four Russian peace-keepers, who were detained in the Zugdidi district of the republic, were handed over to the representative of the CIS Collective Peace-keeping Forces in the zone of the Georgia-Abkhazia conflict Vladimir Rogozin. The military were detained near a bridge over the Inguri river, which separates Georgia from Abkhazia. The Georgian policemen’s attention was attracted with the ammunition in the peace-keepers’ truck. “We had the information that the Russian might carry some unwarranted weapons. And they might take it to their base that they illegally set up in the Zugdidi district,” a source with the Georgian police told Kommersant.

The news about the detention of the peace-keepers immediately became the main issue that the Georgian mass media covered. The journalists, who were quick to arrive at the scene, were shown 35 boxes with antitank guided missiles and mines found in the truck of the Russian peace-keepers. When detained, the military didn’t put up resistance. However, they were brought down, handcuffed and taken to a police station. The peace-keepers were interrogated till yesterday’s morning, then they were released and given their three Kalashnikov rifles, one sniper rifle and the ammunition. The Georgian authorities didn’t give back the mines and missiles, bringing a criminal case about smuggling weapons and explosives.

When commenting on the actions of the police, Head of the Information and Analytical Department with the Georgian Interior Ministry Shota Utiashvili told Kommersant that the military from the Russian contingent brought a great deal of new weaponry to the Zugdidi district without receiving the agreement of the Georgian party. “The movements of the Russian military in our territories were unauthorized and were not sanctioned by Georgia’s bodies. Naturally, the Interior Ministry cut it short,” Mr Utiashvili stated. Commander of the Georgian peace-keeping contingent in the zones of the Georgia-Abkhazia and Georgia-South Ossetia conflicts Colonel Mamuka Kurashvili sided with Mr Utiashvili, “The peace-keepers were not allowed to transport the missiles that were found in their truck in the zone of the conflict. Moreover, the unauthorized movement means breaking all agreements reached. They had no document reading that they transported that sort of arms. Besides, the load was accompanied by Russian commandos, whose deployment in the conflict zone a few weeks ago was another example of violation of the agreements,” Colonel Kurashvili argued.

The behaviour of the Georgian authorities aroused irritation with the Russian military and the government of Abkhazia. “The peace-keepers were at the gun point of unknown people in civilian clothes. They were disarmed in a criminal manner and taken to a police station,” said irritatingly Commander-in-Chief of the Russian land forces Colonel Igor Konashenkov. “Such illegal actions contradict all statutory acts, because the incident occurred in the buffer zone of the Georgia-Abkhazia conflict.” The colonel emphasized that the Ural truck, which was confiscated, and the ammunition, which was there, must be given back to the Russian peace-keepers.

In his turn, representative of the Abkhaz President in the Gali district, which borders on the Zugdidi district of Georgia, Ruslan Kishmaria called the incident “provocation” as he gave an interview to Kommersant. “The Georgians had better read the agreement of 1994 “On cease-fire.” It’s clear from the document that peace-keepers have the right to move throughout the territory of the buffer zone when carrying out their mission. And there were no missiles there. There was only the anti-tank guided missile system which is part of the infantry fighting vehicle. So, the Russian side didn’t have to get any permit,” Mr Kishmaria stressed.

The agreement that the official refers to really contains a provision reading that peace-keepers and international observers in the zone of the Georgia-Abkhazia conflict are to get warranties of the parties, but only in case they leave the buffer zone. The Russian peace-keepers didn’t do it, thus they didn’t violate the agreement. Nonetheless, according to Shota Utiashvili, now the Georgian government is occupied with another matter: It wants to find out whether the confiscated weapons can reside in the conflict zone.

The Georgian Foreign Office has already blamed the escalation of tensions in Abkhazia on Russia. “International community regards Russia as one of the parties in the conflict and unanimously supports the peace initiatives of the Georgian President,” the Ministry’s press-release reads. This said, you can expect Tbilisi to foster the changing of the format of the peace-keeping mission in the zone of the Georgia-Abkhazia conflict. More to the point, at the end of May the Russian Foreign Office received a note via the CIS executive committee urging it to launch consultations about a withdrawal of the Russian peace-keepers, which are deployed in Abkhazia under the auspices of the Commonwealth.

Source: http://www.kommersant.com/p904106/Ge..._peacekeepers/

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X