Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

21st century just began. America was the financial center of the 20th century.

So much for the "Project for a New American Century"

Comment

Peace on the Moscow Horizon?: Russian president calls Caucasus leadership to Kremlin for negotiations

In a move viewed as a major development in regional cooperation and stability as well as a potential forward step for peace between Karabakh and Azerbaijan, President Dmitry Medvedev of Russia has called leaders of Armenia and Azerbaijan to Moscow for a weekend summit.

During the Russian chief’s visit to Yerevan on October 20, it became known that Medvedev had suggested a sit-down with his neighboring leaders. It was not known until Wednesday, however, that the meeting would be arranged so soon.

The Moscow Summit is being viewed in light of a flurry of movement in the region ever since Russia and Georgia went to war over South Ossetia in early August. The conflict there illustrated the vulnerability of the entire region (as well as Russia’s remaining dominance, 17 years since either Armenia, Georgia or Azerbaijan was officially under the Kremlin’s dictates).

Since, President Serzh Sargsyan of Armenia has met with President Abdullah Gul of Turkey. Gul has met with President Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan. And, following Medvedev’s Yerevan visit, Sargsyan was in Karabakh, where he said peace is possible: “ . . . if Azerbaijan recognizes the right of Nagorno-Karabakh’s people for self-determination, if Nagorno-Karabakh has a land border with Armenia and if international organizations and the leading powers of the world guarantee the security of the Nagorno-Karabakh people.”

While Karabakh won’t have an elected official around the table in Moscow, its interests will be upheld by Sargsyan, the troubled little breakaway republic’s native son.

Leaders of the three nations’ foreign ministries were appointed to meet today (October 31).
      “We can find a solution to the conflict if Azerbaijan displays will and does not obstruct the negotiating process with various kinds of statements in all possible structures,” said Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandyan at a press conference in Yerevan Thursday shortly before leaving for Moscow.
      The foreign ministers’ meeting in Moscow will be followed by a meeting with the cochairmen of the Minsk Group of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and then by the meeting of the presidents on Sunday.
      Nalbandyan also suggested that if the leaderships in Armenia and Azerbaijan come to any agreement on the Nagorno-Karabakh settlement, this will become public knowledge and a matter for broad discussion not only in Armenia but also in Nagorno-Karabakh proper.
      Medvedev’s initiative might also signal a shift in leadership on the Karabakh settlement. For more than a decade the United States and Europe have wrangled with the rivaling republics to find a means of settlement that avoids further conflict. Russia’s role has been a matter of some speculation ever since the 2001 “Key West Summit” was aborted due to Russia’s concerns.
      Yerevan-based political and security analyst Richard Giragosian views the summit as “a significant development, with implications far broader than simply the latest stage of the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process. The Moscow summit, as Russia’s first initiative in the wake of the August conflict in Georgia, reflects not only a demonstration of Moscow’s newly enhanced position in the region, but is also tied to a broader Russian strategy of matching Turkey’s recent bid to regain its diminished position as a regional power.

“From this context, Russia is also studiously seeking to reassure the West that, despite the tension over Georgia because of Russia’s recognition of Georgia’s separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, Moscow can be a ‘helpful’ partner in Nagorno-Karabakh, the region’s sole remaining ‘frozen conflict’.”

The analyst warns, too, that Medvedev’s call is not purely altruism at work.

“There is more to Russia’s agenda than putting a new more positive face on its diplomacy,” Giragosian says, adding that a recent suggestion of placing Russian peacekeepers in the disputed territories is Moscow’s “move that would not only consolidate Russian leverage but also threatens to further entrench Russia as the dominant actor in the South Caucasus.”

South Caucasus analyst Victor Yakubyan says that “the upcoming negotiations in Moscow will pass against the background of activation of forces in Armenia.”

The analyst predicts that if Sargsyan agreed to an escalation of negotiations in Moscow and approved the plan and terms of withdrawal of Armenian troops from the security zone surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh, the internal political field in Armenia will totally transform to engender a new opposition front.

Some also predict that the speeded up negotiations on Nagorno-Karabakh might cause representatives of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation (Dashnaktsutyun) to withdraw from the governing coalition and might also return second president Robert Kocharyan to the political arena and unite Dashnaktsutyun and Kocharyan.

From http://armenianow.com/?action=viewAr...D=1207&lng=eng
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Dashnaktsutyun and Kocharyan? I like it!

...as these negotiations 'progress' it seems that the ARF is becomming more vociforious.

“BECOME ARF MEMBER AND ARMENIA WILL HAVE WAY TO SEA”

Hrayr Karapetyan the Vice Chairman of National Assembly says that “panics, feeling of being defeated” have negative impact on the psychology of people. According to him all those emotions are not justified as there are no reasons to be afraid. “Irrespective of Azeri President who makes strict and military announcements we have a modest President who does not do such announcements,” he said.

Vice Chairman of the NA confirmed the position of Armenian Revolutionary Federation that no compromise should be made in Nagorno Karabakh conflict. To the question if Armenian authorities do make some compromise in this point, whether ARF will leave coalition, the Vice Chairman of the NA said that the activities of authorities does not oppose to “the interests of ARF and the state”.

Hrayr Karapetyan said that we should not feel concerned over the current issue as if Azerbaijan stipulates war then Armenia will have open borders to sea. To a journalist’s answer if they don’t stipulate whether Armenia could do the same, he answered “become ARF member and Armenia will have way to sea”. Hrayr Karapetyan added that once only ARF representatives could imagine that Artsakh can be joined to Armenia by liberating some territories.

Source: Panorama.am
        Last edited by crusader1492; 10-31-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
          Dashnaktsutyun and Kocharyan? I like it! ...as these negotiations 'progress' it seems that the ARF is becomming more vociforious.
          Don't tell the Turks but I personally think this is a classic good guy-bad guy routine. They are telling Baku: if you don't deal with Sargsyan you'll have to deal with Robo and the dreaded ARF...
          Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
            Don't tell the Turks but I personally think this is a classic good guy-bad guy routine. They are telling Baku: if you don't deal with Sargsyan you'll have to deal with Robo and the dreaded ARF...
            Astute observation (as usual).

...well, if that's the case, my guess would be that we will see "Robo and the dreaded ARF" coming to power then. Baku has talked too much xxxx to back down now. Aliev really dug himself in a ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
              Astute observation (as usual). well, if that's the case, my guess would be that we will see "Robo and the dreaded ARF" coming to power then. Baku has talked too much xxxx to back down now. Aliev really dug himself in a ditch.
              Thanks Crusader. Take nothing in politics at face value. If they continue dragging this out Baku will be pissing off Moscow as well. But I still think Baku is bluffing. They want to see if Armenians will break under pressure. I have full confidence in Sargsyan regarding this matter.
              Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                Thanks Crusader. Take nothing in politics at face value. If they continue dragging this out Baku will be pissing off Moscow as well. But I still think Baku is bluffing. They want to see if Armenians will break under pressure. I have full confidence in Sargsyan regarding this matter.
                Armenian I think you are forgetting one thing, that the moment Aliyev recognizes Artsakh he'll be called a traitor of the state. I think it would be suicide for him. Like it would be for Serj if he give away Artsakh. I don't see the ugly monkey bakcing down not after his speech, if it's not physical than it' certainly political suicide that he will be committing.

And Robert Takavor

Comment

This is how the new upcoming (in 2011) Russian Frigate Admiral Gorshkov will look like.

The photo posted by Armenian is that of the corvette Astrakhan which is now based in the Caspian Sea. Astrakhan's displacement is only 550 tons, while the much larger project 22350 Admiral Gorshkov will be around 4500 tons.

Comment

I have mentioned this before and I am going to say it again:

Russia is a large imperialist power. They know how to run politics. Their interests, plans, projections and alliances are for the long term (not short term).

Armenia is Russia's long term ally.
                    Azerbaijan is Turkey's long term ally.

Do not expect the Russians to force anything down our throat just to gain some short term benefits from the Azeri/Turkish side.

Comment

Originally posted by ZORAVAR View Post
                      I have mentioned this before and I am going to say it again:

Russia is a large imperialist power. They know how to run politics. Their interests, plans, projections and alliances are for the long term (not short term).

Armenia is Russia's long term ally.
                      Azerbaijan is Turkey's long term ally.

Do not expect the Russians to force anything down our throat just to gain some short term benefits from the Azeri/Turkish side.
                      Thank you Zoravar for that astute observation. Despite being a Soviet Armenian I still harbor doubts about the Russians and do need the reassurance on their long term view.

Comment

Working...
                      X