Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Are Armenians on the verge of extinction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are Armenians on the verge of extinction?

Gmd, if you think that being an Armenian, or preserving your Armenian heritage, is important in your life then you simply have to take some measures to change your lifestyle. However, if you don't think that it's very important for you to preserve your Armenian heritage then you don't need to be here to give us advise about being an Armenian. This all has to do with you and your plans for the future. But seeing that you are in an Armenian forum engaging us in debate I suspect that there are issues of identity running through your mind. I don't know how old your children are but perhaps the following organizations might be interesting for you and your family. Why don't you take trip to the Armenian Republic with your family? There are many tour groups that go there year around. There are many trips organized by young professionals and volunteer groups that might interest you as well.

And one last thing, gmd: It does not matter whether your children are 100% Armenian, 50% Armenian, or 25% Armenian, what matters ultimately is whether or not they have the Armenian spirit dwelling within them. And for that to occur they must feel like they are an integral part of a nation called Armenia.

Birth Right Armenia: http://www.birthrightarmenia.org/

Some more organizations if interested.

FAR Young Professionals: http://www.farusa.org/stayinformed_farfamily.asp?p=5

Land and Culture Organization: http://www.lcousa.org/asp/default.asp
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
      I'm getting tired of this stupid nonsenses.

gmd, I suggest you take your Japanese wife and children and visit your long lost homeland. You and your family will be pleasantly surprised. After you come back we'll talk about whether or not there will be enough Armenians in Armenia for the nation to be called Armenia anymore...

Where do all you people come out off?
      Visiting a place and living a place is two different things pal. You can take your money and go visit the worst place of Africa, and let me tell you, you will have a blast.

Comment

One says that he'll never step foot in the country again because it's corrupt, because he and his family had bad experiences there, because it's this, it's that... And more-or-less claims: What's the point in instilling an Armenian identity in your children if they are going to assimilate anyway.

When did I say i will never step a foot in Armenia again?

I care more about my homeland in a day then you will in your lifetime. Things I have seen, no one should go through. I do anything in my powers that I can. Your make me sick.

The concept of a fatherland supersedes the emotions of the individual. There are many Armenians from the region that have suffered worst situations than "Fedayeen" but they would never attempted to make some of the comments he has attempted here. This all has to do with the quality of up brining and character of the person in question. As a result, this has nothing to do with how wealthy one is or how much education one has. Sadly, many of our people whether they realize it or not are victims of the decades long indoctrinations of Bolshevism.

We are discussing the well being of our homeland...i guess little bit of reality is too much for someone who grew up in fairy tale

What the hell you know about a character and quality of person. You think so highly of yourself.

Ara for asel em lav em asel, denet shat tak teghits@ galis. Go go live in Armenian, its much better place then it was years ago. And its looks like its goona get even better since Levon is coming back, good timing

I will come too, now how we make so others will follow?

Comment

But thats good Armenian, keep up the high spirit. You talk a lot of trash, but i don't mind, i been in worse situations..hehe

Comment

This is a stupid conversation.

The reality is that we must get rid of the traitors who are sucking the money of the country like parasites.

Comment

interesting discussion.. I feel I'm finally starting to understand where Armenian is coming from this time. I can imagine where Fedayeen and Shahan are coming from though.

In anycase, no one who has participated in discussion here seems likely to change their stance on anything.

But personally, I feel I have something to gain by learning about both types of people, and I like Armenian's words about repatriating to Armenia. I've never heard people speak that way on the subject before, and so I never imagined it as a prospect for a diasporan such as myself... Armenia, beginning to develop as a true western nation is a good thing for Armenians, and I wouldn't mind contributing in my way. I suppose I shouldn't fear the corruption there right now. It is not fear that should decide whether or not to keep us diasporans, but our spiritual prospects in this life.... where our spirit feels it will grow the most and generate the most positive impact. When you see it this way, then what Armenian has to say makes a lot of sense. Armenians who wish to leave, or to receive handouts in order to continue to exist in Armenia would probably be happier in America right now. If they had money and a green card, what would stop them from becoming Americans?

I'm still young though and although I have an active interest in my heritage and identity, I do not stop there. But I've wanted to visit my Armenian homeland. I never have. I would also like to journey in Anatolia, to see the lands I probably have more recent ancestry to (where two of my grandparents' families are from). When I look into the mirror, I see Anatolian. I doubt there's anything Armenian left in those lands though. Is there anything left to see in Bitlis or Sivas?
              Last edited by jgk3; 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I have noticed four types of Armenians based upon my experiences:

1) There are Armenians who are very comfortable with their heritage. They are proud of their national culture. They have a healthy balanced outlook towards issues that have to do with Armenia and Armenians. This type concerns itself with cultural preservation. This type also partakes in community events and they have a viable connection to the homeland. Let's call this type The Ideal Armenian.

2) There are Armenians who are proud Armenians but are somewhat uneasy about their identity. This type has some complexes for they see their identity as being vulnerable. Armenians are victims in their eyes. As a result, they are fanatically trying to prove something to the world: Armenian Genocide, Armenians are whites, Protection of Artsakh, Armenians are the best in the world, etc. Let's call this type the The Troubled Armenian.

3) There are Armenians who are insecure about their identity. They see their ethnicity as inferior to others. This type hates who they are. As a result, they are fanatically trying to assimilate into whatever niche they can fit into. Let's call this type The Self-hating Armenian.

4) There are Armenians that maintain an Armenian identity. This type partakes in Armenian community events. However, this type does not concern themselves with the homeland or preserving/passing on the Armenian heritage to the future generations. This type is essentially a good weather day Armenian, because they all disappear from the Armenian scene as soon as the going gets tough. Let's call this type The Average Armenian.

In my opinion, majority of Armos in the world today are more-or-less of the number four (4) type. However, the number one type, the Golden Core of our nation as I call it, although a minority, has always been with us and our very future as a nation is dependent upon them.
                Last edited by Armenian; 12-17-2007, 10:49 PM.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian
                  There are Armenians who are proud Armenians but are somewhat uneasy about their identity. This type has some complexes for they see their identity as being vulnerable. Armenians are victims in their eyes. As a result, they are fanatically trying to prove something to the world: Armenian Genocide, Armenians are whites, Protection of Artsakh, Armenians are the best in the world, etc. Let's call this type the The Troubled Armenian.
                  Armenian, two things I want to point out, the first, I agree, some Armenians heavly focus on promoting the image that we are in the "victim camp", and I agree, they are troubled. They have a level of insecurity that it is beyond the norm. With this ideology comes the bridge with cultures that have no respective relation with Armenians other then the fact that they have experienced genocide, pushing Armenians in the same camp. Overtime, this becomes a excuse to embrace "liberalism" to a very high degree and "liberalism" generally leads to adapting.

My second point, in my opinoin, Armenians are "spitak", whatever weight this holds, it is the reality. Now, this does not mean that I think Armenians should begin to marry "spitaks" or that being a "spitak" is neccessarly better than being "non-spitak". Rather, it is more or less a reaffirmation of reality that will at least pull Armenians away from fracturing their society racially. However, in the United States "spitak clone" eqauates to the same "pop cultural" degeneration that any "pop culture clone" would confront. We are who we are, we should uphold our values. Also, I find it very important to go to "spitak websites" and make sure you don't have Turk xyz spreading Turkish propaganda because they do this kind of nonsense, they paint the picture that Armenians are not literally "spitak" and that they themselves are "spitak". Essentially, they try to isolate Armenians with lies and false information. Armenian, yec spitaknari het chem, bytz es yerkiroom el lava erank shipven spitaki het khanita daren Sev. Bytz omena lav ban vor kharoken onen ena vor eratz hye azge het shipven.

As far as "protecting Artsahk" is concerned, why is this a neccessarly a "bad trait"? I fail to see any connection to "inferiority"?

Also, with regards to promoting the idea that "Armenians are the best in the world", why is this necessarly bad? How is this any different than what Non-Armenians do? Its not bad, no, I disagree on this, this idea that "Armenians are the best" should be promoted. And understand, when Armenians truly believe that "Armenians are the best", the weight of the Armenian identity and the push to migrate back to Armenia will hold more importance to them.
                  Last edited by Virgil; 12-12-2007, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
                    When I look into the mirror, I see Anatolian. I doubt there's anything Armenian left in those lands though. Is there anything left to see in Bitlis or Sivas?
                    Anatolian has no meaning, "Anatolia" is a fabricated name for the Armenian Highlands, the real and historic geographic name of Eastern Turkey. Don't be stupid, your Armenian, go back to Armenia and claim your right to be Armenian, don't be stupid and adopt the fate that was imposed on you and your people. There is no such thing as a "Anatolian" and it is when you believe this lie that you truly lose your right to your lands and history.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
                      As far as "protecting Artsahk" is concerned, why is this a neccessarly a "bad trait"? I fail to see any connection to "inferiority"? Also, with regards to promoting the idea that "Armenians are the best in the world", why is this necessarly bad? How is this any different than what Non-Armenians do? Its not bad, no, I disagree on this, this idea that "Armenians are the best" should be promoted.
                      Perhaps the "Artskah" example was not an appropriate one. I think we all should be obsessing over Artsakh, Javakhq, Nakhijevan and Western Armenia. However, I did not mean to say any of it were a "bad" traits, per say. Don't take what I said out of context. I was simply stating that 'obsessing' over issues is an indicator of a psychological imbalance within an individual. Usually a sign of insecurity, albeit a well founded insecurity. We see this in Armenians that have an obsession towards the Armenian Genocide. Therefore, this psychological imbalance/obsession within people can be used positively - but it can potentially have a negative impact for us in the future as well. I also have such "psychological imbalances," if that makes you feel any better.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X