Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Are Armenians on the verge of extinction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are Armenians on the verge of extinction?

Originally posted by Grandchild View Post
    I am here to try to understand what it means to be Armenian.

Grandchild I have been asking the same question for years now. There is definitely something embedded that we carry from one generation to another. Small behavioral codes, a survival "kit" it's honorable in most societies. We have our shares of "bad". In the big picture we always did well in countries, societies, empires. "We don't make the products we make the products better". A good book will be "Black dog of fate" by Peter Balakian ... I believe he puts it more eloquently what it means to be Armenian.

Comment

Originally posted by Azad View Post
      Grandchild I have been asking the same question for years now. There is definitely something embedded that we carry from one generation to another. Small behavioral codes, a survival "kit" it's honorable in most societies. We have our shares of "bad". In the big picture we always did well in countries, societies, empires. "We don't make the products we make the products better". A good book will be "Black dog of fate" by Peter Balakian ... I believe he puts it more eloquently what it means to be Armenian.
      Reading Black Dog of Fate is great advice for Grandchild.

Comment

Its true we been around for a long time...but we are slowly loosing it.

I wish our home was a better place so at least some of us could return home. All our lives we travel from one place to another in search of better place. Yes its good in here, but to say i am happy to be here would be selfish.

I know a lot of people who marry to other races, can't really blame them, but that right there kills our race.

Does some one has to literally come out and kill us Armenian so we will finally understand that we are being extinguished?? its happing all around us. I myself already can't help my self but to speak English and slowly forget everything else.

What i am gonna tell my children? please speak Armenian? don't marry other races?

My parents would probably never again set a foot in Armenia, because they escaped from a hellhome. And I landed in another hellhome.

We are in danger. Of course things go much deeper then what i mentioned, but you get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Fedayeen View Post
          Its true we been around for a long time...but we are slowly loosing it.
          Generally speaking, let me tell you what we are loosing: We are loosing a bunch of disgruntled and/or materialistic Armenians from less-than exemplary backgrounds to assimilation in foreign lands. And I say good riddance...

Nevertheless, we have lost large numbers of our population due to disasters man-made and natural, due to expulsion and due to migration throughout our long and turbulent history. The Caucasus/Anatolia region has not been a very hospitable place to live in for thousands of years. You think times are rough today for Armenians, I suggest you study Armenian history. As a matter of fact, as bad as things seem today, it's better today in Armenia than it generally has been for hundreds of years. So, yeah, don't worry, regardless of what you do with your life in the diaspora Armenians will continue living in Armenia.

I see Armenians as being a golden-core surrounded by rotten fruit. The rotten fruit I am talking about is not the non-Armenians that surround us, it's the 'average' Armenian today. Thank God, this golden-core still exists as it has always exited regardless of time and/or socio-political conditions in the region. Although this golden-core does not constitute a majority in the nation, they nevertheless are the ones pushing our national heritage forward as they always have in the past. So, as some Armenians were rushing to flee their "hellhole" in the Caucasus other Armenians were rushing to the battlefields of Artskah; while some Armenians are eagerly serving the needs of their adopted nations worldwide, other Armenians are serving the needs of their homeland.

It's all relative. And any given nationalism is best revealed in action and example not by whining and complaining.

And I have to say that the new generation in Armenia today is also producing some fine young citizens that will eventually become apart of the golden-core. However, it's all how one perceives things and the type of people one naturally attracts or associates with. A crook can only see the world through a crook's eyes, a coward through coward's eyes, etc. And an ignorant individual can only attract ignorant individuals around them.

And you know what, most of my many friends and associates are Yerevantsis. Of them, perhaps 2/3 go take their children to the homeland every summer. Most of them maintain residences in the States as well as in the Armenian homeland. And perhaps 1/3 of them are already planning on moving back to the homeland. In fact, I also know many diaporan Armenians, born and raised in the diaspora, who live and work in Yerevan today. I also have a residence there, I also travel there every year, I also am planning on moving there in the future. And I also bought my residence there from another repatriated diasporan. And you know what, we all complain about certain aspects of socio-political life in Armenia. However, we put in in a proper context, we realize that all the ailments are temporary and we try to make a positive impact.

Armenia is going through growing pains. It will be a long hard road ahead of us. A very hard-road that all western nations began decades ago, we have only started recently. And no thanks to you and your family, Armenia is better today that it was a year ago, five years ago, ten years ago, fifteen years ago... If we live it up to people that harbor the kind of convictions you have, our homeland will surly disappear without a trace.

Trust me, I see the garbage in our society that calls themselves Armenian. They are the filth that essentially sit on their fat asses and complain about the government not supporting them. They are the filth that don't understand politics, but complain about politicians. They are the ones who claim to be proud Armenian during feasts, but are more than willing to abandon their Armenian identity when its suits their purpose. These are the same filth that complain about bribes, but are the first ones to offer a bribe when they break the law. These are the filth that complain about dirty streets, but are the first ones to throw garbage out their front doors. I am sure you know that types I am talking about... the average Armenian...

Sadly, there are many-many ignorant victims of Bolshevik indoctrination within our population today. Sadly, there are many-many ignorant peasants who think they are all knowledgeable. However, these low lives don't represent Armenia, nor do they represent Armenian culture. Like I said above, Armenians have always survived thanks to the golden-core that has existed within our nation.

And you know what Fedayeen, as bad as our corrupt politicians are, Armenians like you are worst. Actually, Armenians like you scare me. For me you represent the pessimist, defeatist, whining, bit-ching, complaining kind of Armenian that I'm afraid may be a majority within our population. Don't take any of this personally Fedayeen, it's just that I am tired of your defeatist type. And I blame your type for most of the ailments in our country.

I wish our home was a better place so at least some of us could return home. All our lives we travel from one place to another in search of better place. Yes its good in here, but to say i am happy to be here would be selfish.
          Your homeland is what you make of it and how you perceive it. I most probably live much-much better than you in the United States, but I am planing on moving. I will not allow myself to grow old here. And in the meantime, I spend all my free time there. What is your excuse?

I know a lot of people who marry to other races, can't really blame them, but that right there kills our race.
          Marrying outside the race is not the problem, per say. The problem is producing off-springs that would maintain an Armenian identity. Thus, the safest bet in having children that maintain an Armenian identity is by marrying an Armenian.

Does some one has to literally come out and kill us Armenian so we will finally understand that we are being extinguished?? its happing all around us. I myself already can't help my self but to speak English and slowly forget everything else.
          The weak link here seems to be you and people like you.

What i am gonna tell my children? please speak Armenian? don't marry other races?
          Yeah, as a father I can tell you it works. Trust me. And giving them a 'healthy' dose of Armenian identity would not hurt either, nor will providing them with a viable connection to their homeland. Parents indoctrinate, parents set examples, parents create environments for their children to grow up in.

My parents would probably never again set a foot in Armenia, because they escaped from a hellhome.
          I more or less know exactly the kind of family you come from. Thus, I am not surprised one bit.

And had my Yerevantsi friends observed this discourse between you and I they would have scolded you severely.

So, in final analysis, I suggest you assimilate as fast as you can because you are only prolonging the inevitable and it's only hurting you. Trust me, it's much easier being an America, than an Armenian that cares about Armenia.
          Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was expecting this from you. As usual, you do not see a problem, and when you do see a problem, you act like its not a biggie. But whats reality?

Why are you here today? Why did you move out of Armenia in the first place? why?

Can you explain more why you see me as part of a problem? Because i bring out negative things about Armenia and our people outside of Armenia? IF your not willing to accept that there is something wrong, how you expect yourself to fix it?

You see glass as half full, i see it as half empty. And please do not assume you know where i come from, what family i come from, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post

The weak link here seems to be you and people like you.
              Explain.

Comment

Why are you here today? Why did you move out of Armenia in the first place? why?
                I'll tell you why dingbat, I was born in the Middle East and raised in the United States. That's why. OK? As a matter of fact, my family lineage, from Cilicia, lived outside of historic Armenian for nearly a thousand years. So, its high time I bring a bit of it back to the homeland.

And I explained to you the rest. If you are having a difficult time understanding what I wrote, re-read it. And again let me remind you my problem is not with you, per say. My problem is with the "type" of mentality you portray and with your up-bringing.

Explain.
                I already did.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

En vor asum en denet tak teghits galis, hima konna.

Ahh...you should of been right there with me when my father left for karabakh, you should been there sitting in darkness for months in freezing winter, you should of been there when we entered Osetiya and Armenian-Georgian border, you should of been there when KGB entered our house, you should of been there when we took 1 week train ride to cyberia, you should of been there when we entered Amsterdam, but you weren't there, because you were busy growing up in this glorious land.

I am sorry that my eyes don't look at Armenia the same way you eyes do. And all you can do is call me names.

Keep taking trips back to Yerevan every summer, hey at least your doing something, for yourself.

Comment

En vor asum en denet tak teghits galis, hima konna. Ahh...you should of been right there with me when my father left for karabakh, you should been there sitting in darkness for months in freezing winter, you should of been there when we entered Osetiya and Armenian-Georgian border, you should of been there when KGB entered our house, you should of been there when we took 1 week train ride to cyberia, you should of been there when we entered Amsterdam, but you weren't there, because you were busy growing up in this glorious land. I am sorry that my eyes don't look at Armenia the same way you eyes do. And all you can do is call me names. Keep taking trips back to Yerevan every summer, hey at least your doing something, for yourself.
                    Just stop the your nonsense, Fedayeen. None of what you wrote has any bearing on what we are discussing here. And you wont get any sympathy from me, because none of what you have told me is an excuse for spiritually and physically abandoning your fatherland. As if you are the only one with a sob story. Get on line. You are simply making superficial excuses for your self-hate, pessimism and defeatism. Listen dude, throw in the towel and get on with your life here in the "glorious land" of Armendale. Living as an Armenian without a connection to the homeland is pointless and senseless. You are right, Armenia is not for people like you. Sadly, there are a lot of people like you stuck over there, I wish they could leave as well. You don't have the maturity to see the Fatherland for what it is or needs to become. And the funniest thing here is your user name.

And yeah - ձայնս «շատ» տաք տեղից է գալիս:

Նժդեհ

Comment

Concern

Over the years, during my residence in the States I have noticed a rather disturbing thing. That thing is Armenians forgetting their heritage and culture and become "American." I am not tending to give the label "american" a bad reputation, but instead I am concerned with the people who are of Armenian descent, that dont recognize their ethnicity, show no interest in their native culture, but instead want to "blend" in with everybody else, with majority not recognizing their culture, but instead labeling themselves as "Americans." I for one was not born in the States but grew up in the states for a large amount of time and even though it has been sometimes difficult to sustain my full culture and ethnicity, through this "melting pot" of American society especially after 9/11. I know many Armenians (some by just looking at their last names, then actually seeing them) that show not even the slightest desire to recognize their real Armenian heritage, and once I asked one of these people what country they were from, they said Italian/Arabic , and then later they said an Armenian phrase "ինչ պես էս" , and stated it was Arabic. This is one of the instances that I noticed where an Armenian completed ignored his or her nationality. As Armenians have and do dispearse around the world I wish they could still sustain, their culture (as many do) and remain Armenian even though every one around them is of a different culture/nationality.
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---
                      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Working...
                      X