Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What if Armenians were Muslim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sip View Post
    Why does God always get credit for good stuff and never get blamed for bad stuff? This whole salvation thing didn't work out too well in the 20th century as KandaHye pointed out. Maybe after 20th century its about time to wake up from our happy happy God sleepy time?
    The 20th century was a result of an all out assault on humanity and in the 21st century, the people are still asleep

Originally posted by Mos View Post
    Two girls that I talked with in Tbilisi, told me their view of Georgian men, which I would like to quote here, because they were rather direct: "Women in Georgia are basically slaves, they have to serve men with food, while the men grow fat and watch TV." and another interesting quote: "Women are expected to go into marriage as virgins, while no such thing is expected of men of course." Both girls said, they were not yet married, because they could not find any good man.
    Hey, those are the same excuses Armenian girls in the diaspora use to justify their reasons for being wh0res... what a coincidence. So I always wondered with this Western world view of society.... since women are maintaining their virginity in Georgia, the sheep in Georgia must be walking funny.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Re: What if Armenians were Muslim?

Why does God always get credit for good stuff and never get blamed for bad stuff? This whole salvation thing didn't work out too well in the 20th century as KandaHye pointed out. Maybe after 20th century its about time to wake up from our happy happy God sleepy time?
      You do realize that evil exists as well, and one can not blame good for evil.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

From the Armenians I know that grew up in Georgia, I wouldn't say Armenia is more conservative. Georgia and Armenia are very comparable in that respect, Georgia may pretend some times to be very liberal and so on for their identity issues and fascinations with USA, but in reality the social fabric is still the same. Azerbaijan is a bit more conservative.

Here's one excerpt from a foreigner's experience in Georgia:

oh yes it not conservative at all

Armenians that grew up in the West are less conservative than are Hayastancis, should I now claim that Armenians are liberal? My point remains valid and nothing you said showed otherwise. I never said georgia is not conservative, just LESS so than Armenia. Of course the azeri are more conservative than both, but I at least consider the georgians culturally European, the azeris are barbarians thru and thru.
        For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
          Well, it seems to be a new age policy to worship the Devil and then blame everything on God.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            Well, it seems to be a new age policy to worship the Devil and then blame everything on God.

Yes, or people have long since wrote off the evil/devil/shaytan whatever one wishes to call this force. Now the attempt is to write off God as well. And the new religion is self worship and/or science.

Comment

To blame God for not stopping evil committed on you or your people is a copout Sip. I am not a very religious person compared to others, I do not attend Church regularly (I prefer going alone during weekdays) or hold our Clergy high (however respect them)....but when it comes to our Armenian Church and my perception of God I am there. It seems it is hardwired inside me. In all reality if you stay objective you will find that Science and God (not necessary religion or bible or human interpretation of it) can exist together.

Edited for clarity...
              Last edited by Eddo211; 03-10-2011, 02:52 PM.
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Armenians that grew up in the West are less conservative than are Hayastancis, should I now claim that Armenians are liberal? My point remains valid and nothing you said showed otherwise. I never said georgia is not conservative, just LESS so than Armenia. Of course the azeri are more conservative than both, but I at least consider the georgians culturally European, the azeris are barbarians thru and thru.
                Well of course Armenians in West are less conservative than hayastancis. That being said, I would say the social fabric of both us and Georgia are very similar - Georgia may seem to be more "liberal" from the outside because they are constantly trying to advertise themselves as part of Western Europe, but deep inside it's very comparable to our social fabric.

So if you consider Georgians culturally European, what you consider us?
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---
                "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Yah ... and I am saying why not blame The Creator, aka God, for the bad things too? Why only give credit to the Creator for the good stuff and blame ourselves, "evil", etc etc for the bad stuff? If you are the one and only omnipotent omnipresent ever-knowing and all powerful Creator, you get the credit and the blame for everything. That's just how it goes.

But this has been at the heart of all mono-theistic religion discussions since the beginning of God

At any rate, I think we are giving religion far too much credit. The way things are now, it seems to me Islam is about 500 years behind Christianity in terms of recognizing fundamental individual freedoms and rights (especially when women are concerned, let alone gays). Once they catch up to where the majority of Christians are right now, we'll inevitably have the same kind of non-religious systems like we have in the US (which is still far from perfect but it's getting there). This is also not to say that the Christians don't have a lot of growing up to do either. There are plenty of the blind fundamentalists even in the Christian worlds.

So IF Armenians had become Muslims at some point, things would surely have been different of course (especially in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) but overall we'd be behind the rest of the world by about 300-400 years in terms of the evolution of our society towards the modern-day Globalization and acceptance of all else that comes with it (there is no way to avoid globalization -- you can just sort of delay it).
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Well of course Armenians in West are less conservative than hayastancis. That being said, I would say the social fabric of both us and Georgia are very similar - Georgia may seem to be more "liberal" from the outside because they are constantly trying to advertise themselves as part of Western Europe, but deep inside it's very comparable to our social fabric.

So if you consider Georgians culturally European, what you consider us?

Armenians have a bit more oriental flavor to them than do georgians but we too are occidental. Armenians and georgians are similar culturally, and even ethnically, however due to recent politics and the chauvinism among georgians, they like to think better of themselves. Don't be fooled though, both georgians and azeris know Armenians are legendary and as a result they fear and sometimes loathe us.

Comment

Yah ... and I am saying why not blame The Creator, aka God, for the bad things too? Why only give credit to the Creator for the good stuff and blame ourselves, "evil", etc etc for the bad stuff? If you are the one and only omnipotent omnipresent ever-knowing and all powerful Creator, you get the credit and the blame for everything. That's just how it goes.

But this has been at the heart of all mono-theistic religion discussions since the beginning of God

At any rate, I think we are giving religion far too much credit. The way things are now, it seems to me Islam is about 500 years behind Christianity in terms of recognizing fundamental individual freedoms and rights (especially when women are concerned, let alone gays). Once they catch up to where the majority of Christians are right now, we'll inevitably have the same kind of non-religious systems like we have in the US (which is still far from perfect but it's getting there). This is also not to say that the Christians don't have a lot of growing up to do either. There are plenty of the blind fundamentalists even in the Christian worlds.

So IF Armenians had become Muslims at some point, things would surely have been different of course (especially in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) but overall we'd be behind the rest of the world by about 300-400 years in terms of the evolution of our society towards the modern-day Globalization and acceptance of all else that comes with it (there is no way to avoid globalization -- you can just sort of delay it).

Globalization is a buzzword, and actually the way the world economy is going there is good chance that regional markets will come to dominate not full scale international trade as we have now.

Evil things happen because human beings have free will, and we therefore can choose to act good or evil toward others. Humans have the capacity for great good and great evil, it is the duality of forces, and all major religions, when we strip them to their bare essentials, teach us to do good.

Comment

Working...
                      X