Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Current Condition of Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigranakert
    replied
    Re: Current Condition of Armenia

The question is, what is sovereignty? And Eddo221, I wonder, what do you want Armenia to do to be more sovereign. It's easy to shout such statements, but give some examples? Let's see if they are realistic.

Sovereignty is the quality of having supreme, independent authority over a geographic area, such as a territory.
    Nobody would disagree with this. We should try to "maximize" our sovereignty to a degree that's not harmful for our country. Fact remains, it would be much more useful to use our potential in the Russian Federation and Russia's interest in Armenia, than to fight it to be so-called "sovereign", which will lead to a dangerous situation. Nobody here is against Armenia having economical ties with every other country in the world, but politically an militarily our ties are and will be the closest with Russia. We just have to play the game smart, and it's up to us to influence the foreign policy of the Russian Federation and maximize their support.

In no other country we have this potential. Not in America, where they cry about genocide recognition every year and after decades don't understand they just play a game with the stupid Armenians, nor in France where the political influence is close to zero and where most of the Armenians are assimilated.

It is amazing how many Armenians are in high-ranking positions in Russia, the list is endless. From politics and media, to the military and business, they are over-represented in al spheres. If we manage somehow to organize ourselves... the results could be very positive. Steps are being taken, one of these is the construction (financed by Russian-Armenians working together, not like the Armenians in America who want to build one museum but are fighting for years with each other now) of a huge, I mean huge Armenian Church/School/Business/Network complex in Moscow. I have never seen such a big construction and I am very proud of the Armenians in Moscow (you realize how big it is once you have been there).

Last edited by Tigranakert; 03-13-2011, 12:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Armanen
    replied

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
    No you didn’t. What you showed is that a country with more resources and open borders has more cards to play with, which is true.
    And were you not the one to state that having more resources and open borders would not make a difference? And I showed that the difference would be our bargaining position.

Leave a comment:

• Eddo211
    replied

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    And I showed you that your answer, of 'it would make no difference' is incorrect.
    No you didn’t. What you showed is that a country with more resources and open borders has more cards to play with, which is true.

We are all for a strong Armenia, that is not the issue here.
    OK

Leave a comment:

• Armanen
    replied

You asked a question I answered. You can dance twist back flip around the essence of what I said.

I have no respect for those who are willing to trade sovereignty for a false sense of security and fear. This is not directed at you Armanen but generally to anyone.

And I showed you that your answer, of 'it would make no difference' is incorrect.

We are all for a strong Armenia, that is not the issue here.

Leave a comment:

• Eddo211
    replied

You asked a question I answered. You can dance twist back flip around the essence of what I said.

I have no respect for those who are willing to trade sovereignty for a false sense of security and fear. This is not directed at you Armanen but generally to anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Armanen
    replied

It is my opinion and the Fact remains that even a rich small country with resources must maintain relations with its more powerful neighbors.

To me money (resources) does not mean or translate into sovereignty and ghetin@ bhahel (keeping the ground).

Opinions are fine and they influence policy makers a great deal, but when we are discussing geopolitics and international affairs then facts carry greater weight and top opinions.

Armenia would still find itself surrounded by larger powers, this is true, but it would have more of a bargaining chip if it had any combonation of natural resources, larger population, larger and more dynamic economy, and bigger military. We can not fix the natural resources problem, you either have oil & natural gas or you don't. Yet when it comes to the economy, there are steps we can take. But there is no denying that the number one hinderence to the growth of the Armenian economy is the illegal blockade by turkey, and the cold war with azerbaijan. Add to this the sanctions against Iran, a major trading and energy partern of Armenia, and it is understanable why we have the issues which we do. Also, if Armenia were larger or had access to the turkish markets our oligarchs wouldn't have such a strangle hold on the Armenian market, they have a whole sea to swim in instead of the pond that is Armenia (metaphorically speaking).

Nowhere did I say small nations do not need to maintain relations with larger nations, of course they do. So you either misunderstood my point, or you don't really understand geopolitics. Because it indeed would be a great deal of difference if Armenia had natural resources and/or wasn't blockaded.

Leave a comment:

• Eddo211
    replied

It is my opinion and the Fact remains that even a rich small country with resources must maintain relations with its more powerful neighbors.

To me money (resources) does not mean or translate into sovereignty and ghetin@ bhahel (keeping the ground).

Leave a comment:

• Armanen
    replied

You would still be a small Nation surounded by regional powers.
    Is that all you have to support your position?

Leave a comment:

• Eddo211
    replied

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    Explain why you think it would not make a difference.
    You would still be a small Nation surounded by regional powers.

Leave a comment:

• Armanen
    replied

I don’t think it would make a difference even if Armenia was not landlocked, blockaded with no natural resources. The mentality needs to change.....situations are dynamic and its much different than say 10 years ago, Armenia cannot effort to stagnate.

I am surprised that Armenian's influence in Russian political system hasn't been improved yet.
    Explain why you think it would not make a difference.

I agree that there's more things the Armenian diaspora in Russia could be doing, especially politically, but they are head and shoulders above any other Armenian diaspora group, as far as integration into business, government, science, sports, arts, education, etc, as well as being the most wealthy.
    Last edited by Armanen; 03-12-2011, 04:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X