Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is YEV a letter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, HyeJinx...you're scaring me,,
    But I like you, so it's alright.

Second, I shall say this for the LAST time. Arevelahayeren is not BETTER from Arevmdahayeren, and Arevmdahayeren is not BETTER from Arevelahayeren.

Both were constructed in the same time, one in Bolis, one in Tiflis, and both were based on the regional dialects. So to say that the "assimilation" of the dialects in the eastern provinces is "better" than the "assimilation" of the dialects in the western provinces is pure bull.

And how can it not be scholarly? What the hell are you talking about??

Gostan Zaryan, Hagop Oshagan, Vahan Tekeyan, Siamanto, Mushegh Ishkhan, Taniel Varoujan, Roupen Zartatian, yev ter ovker.....These people wrote in and studied a "homegrown" dialect? If I cared enough, I'd send you full manuals dissecting every single fragment of arevmdahayeren..

And people in Lebanon, Syria, yevayln had to hide their schools?? LOOOOOL!!!! Yes, Lazar Najarian was actually my grandmother's basement...Jemaran was actually the backroom of my uncle's store..

megha megha...

Comment

indo-euro what ever... our language is not indo nothing... its the PUREST language and implying that it is indo-euro it means it is a branch of something, but IT IS NOT a branch of anything... i know many books have been written about this, but think about it, how come there isnt anyone in this world that has letters like ours... is greek indo-euro? nope is armenian NOPE it isnt... it is the purest, the cleanest, and OLDEST language in this world and its not indo-euro...

the yev is a letter because it has been proven in ARMENIA that it is due to the books that were written in our BEAUTIFUL language that have the letter and its not an aggriviation or shorthand, it is a freakin letter...

it is a combination of SOUNDS not letters... i never said it was a combination of letters, it is a combination of SOUNDS of YE and E... SOUNDS not letters... it is a letter... like "W" it is double U... you people surprise me...

it is not the word and... because the word for AND in armenian is actually (correctly U) remember like Urartu... "U" that is the word AND, however in (our/your/we) dialect they say "yev yes el em uzum" ok... you dont even have the correct letter V..

gettattahere...

and stark jan, aziz jan, anoush jan... please read what i wrote about the schools in lebanon, or in any other country outside of armenia... you know its true, so dont deny it...

Comment

I think that the debate about the letter "YEV" shows once more how the petty and useless divisions among Armenians have been "institutionalized", to the point where they even affect our language. For centuries, ALL Armenians had an alphabet of 36 letters, as defined by Mesrop Mashtots. Then, when o and f were added, again ALL Armenians had 38 letters. The bogus 39th letter is only in Eastern Armenian, which was heavily influenced by the Soviets. For example, the Russians do not have the sound "ü". They have the sound "yu". So the "ü" was replaced by "yu" in Eastern Armenian. The fact is that both Western Armenian and Eastern Armenian have discrepancies with original Armenian. In my opinion, the script and writing of Western Armenian are right (38 letters, not 39) while the pronunciation of the consonants in Eastern Armenian is right. While some say "Kügh", and others say "Gyugh", we should all agree on saying "Gügh" and live in the same Armenian global village.
        Finally, I agree entirely with Stark's latest post and the ridiculous linguistic implications of the letter "YEV".
        Last edited by jgm1975; 09-09-2004, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Agreed with jgm.

Keep eastern pronounciations (except for the yu instead of the u), and western spelling (as opposed to the bullsheet Soviet one which has destroyed the Armenian language).

Once these changes are done, the difference between the dialects will no longer matter.

Comment

ask your parents please before saying something stupid... werent schools created secretly in other countries for armenians? YES they were... which means that there was no mass route to ARMENIA where all of this was taking place...

and you have named many people who are great writers, but you havent named any armenians that have studied in the "hayastantsi" armenian , do i see a biased? yes i do...

there are also many great writers that wrote in eastern armenian like YEGHISE Charenz... yes he did, because the actual poems that he wrote are in eastern armenian... but when i came to america and went to armenian schools, for some reason it was "translated" for the western armos... WOW? WTF? yes it was "translated" they took writers and they changed the words and letters to fit their discription of the language, but in ARMENIAN they dont do that, they keep the original writers styles, mistakes, or whatever, they make peolpe read the poems and stories in the original language it was written in... since we respect our language our writers and how they wrote we should not translate it for the western armenian speakers, they should read it jsut like we did in ARMENIA...

you know KHENT the book was originally written in what oyu many call "EASTERN" armenian but the one here in the US has been "translated" for the pretty little lenebenese armenians, that is a DISCRACE to our country, our nation, and our LANGUAGE that has been in exists for THOUSANDS of years...

i read "yes im anush hayastani" poem by yeghisheh, and i couldn recognize it because it was "translated" for the western armenians... they TOOK from the poem and without thinking about it, changed what the man had written...

think about what oyu say before you say it, and yes i do take my advice... i know the facts and my dear, major schools made later in the 40s 50s and 60s were different the universities inside ARMENIA in the 20s and 30s...

western, eastern... whatever... armenians are armenians are armenians... and the only reason why the "westerners" like to distinguish themselves or used to like to distinguish themselves was because armenian use do to be part of the USSR and for politcal purposes they could not have outright connections with them because the the US would deport them to ARMENIA...

read a book, use common scense, be critical, and dont talk out of your behind...

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
              ask your parents please before saying something stupid... werent schools created secretly in other countries for armenians? YES they were... which means that there was no mass route to ARMENIA where all of this was taking place...
              You just ignored a lot with this.

and you have named many people who are great writers, but you havent named any armenians that have studied in the "hayastantsi" armenian , do i see a biased? yes i do...
              So? That still doesn't prove that "yev" is a letter.

there are also many great writers that wrote in eastern armenian
              No! Really? Oops. I stand corrected... wait... NO BODY SAID THERE WASN'T.

... like YEGHISE Charenz... yes he did, because the actual poems that he wrote are in eastern armenian... but when i came to america and went to armenian schools, for some reason it was "translated" for the western armos... WOW? WTF? yes it was "translated" they took writers and they changed the words and letters to fit their discription of the language, but in ARMENIAN they dont do that, they keep the original writers styles, mistakes, or whatever, they make peolpe read the poems and stories in the original language it was written in... since we respect our language our writers and how they wrote we should not translate it for the western armenian speakers, they should read it jsut like we did in ARMENIA...

you know KHENT the book was originally written in what oyu many call "EASTERN" armenian but the one here in the US has been "translated" for the pretty little lenebenese armenians, that is a DISCRACE to our country, our nation, and our LANGUAGE that has been in exists for THOUSANDS of years...

i read "yes im anush hayastani" poem by yeghisheh, and i couldn recognize it because it was "translated" for the western armenians... they TOOK from the poem and without thinking about it, changed what the man had written...
              What the hell are you going on about!? I didn't translate those and that has nothing to do with "yev"!

think about what oyu say before you say it, and yes i do take my advice... i know the facts and my dear, major schools made later in the 40s 50s and 60s were different the universities inside ARMENIA in the 20s and 30s...
              "Think about what you say," said by the girl who typed "lenebenese."

You are still ignoring the fact that many schools were out in the open, respectable, and had funding.

western, eastern... whatever... armenians are armenians are armenians... and the only reason why the "westerners" like to distinguish themselves or used to like to distinguish themselves was because armenian use do to be part of the USSR and for politcal purposes they could not have outright connections with them because the the US would deport them to ARMENIA...
              I have no idea why this paragraph exists.

read a book, use common scense, be critical, and dont talk out of your behind...
              I used common sense. Now you try. Didn't you read anything I wrote about linguistics?

Comment

stark i know you have a crush on me now... i love you too hun...

Comment

there are also many great writers that wrote in eastern armenian like YEGHISE Charenz... yes he did, because the actual poems that he wrote are in eastern armenian... but when i came to america and went to armenian schools, for some reason it was "translated" for the western armos... WOW? WTF? yes it was "translated" they took writers and they changed the words and letters to fit their discription of the language, but in ARMENIAN they dont do that, they keep the original writers styles, mistakes, or whatever, they make peolpe read the poems and stories in the original language it was written in... since we respect our language our writers and how they wrote we should not translate it for the western armenian speakers, they should read it jsut like we did in ARMENIA...

Nune, I'm sorry to say, but you are becoming quite annoying with your senseless conclusions.

The reason why I named only Western Armenian authors was to show you that it is not a homegrown, non-academic dialect. Nobody doubted the credibility of Eastern Armenian, so what would be the point of me saying anything about them? We all know Charents is great. And we all know that he's from Armenia. I've been reciting "Yes Im Anush Hayastani" (in its original form, by the way) since I was 4 years old. Tumanian is another master. I have practically grown up listening to Paregentan, Kach Nazar, Soodlig Vorsgane. Shiraz is good, though somewhat redundant, and my personal favourite, Baruyr Sevak, is pure genius.

I agree that poetry should not be "translated", as it loses its value. However, when novels such as Raffi's "Khent" (which I've also read in Eastern Armenian, by the way) are around, I see no problem in making it accessible to ALL Armenians. In a perfect world, everybody would speak both dialects, but since we aren't there yet, why should we cut off whole parts of our culture?

And before I ask anything to my parents, why don't YOU come over and ask them? I've been to an Armenian school in Syria, and so have my parents. If we had to keep our ethnicity secret, why is it clearly stated in our birth certificates that we are Armenian? Why are Armenian churches very visible in Syria, Lebanon, yevayln? You're not basing what you're saying on facts...just rumours. It's not coincidental that Syria and Lebanon have good relations with Armenia. Think about it.

Comment

stark i know you have a crush on me now... i love you too hun...
                    When at first you don't succeed... change the subject into something completely and utterly random, not to mention stupid.
                    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

YEV IS NOT A FREAKING LETTER!!!! stop going in circles and hallucinating like george bush!

Close this damn thread already...it's not even worth rating it 1 star

Comment

Working...
                      X