Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is YEV a letter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angelik22
    okie u know what- too bad i dont have armenian letters on my keyboard so i can show u that it is a letter- u know im not stupid- i went to armenian school for years- we learned both types of armenian- not just "hayastantsi" armenian FYI- maybe you should research a bit- yev is one single letter- although it can be written out using two letters- YE and V, i know that it is not an article- it an actual letter- i will find a site and show you-

OMG angelic..ckbejug is right ok??/..hope this will help u ,just scroll down page.And as i said original armenian alphabet by mesrop consist of 36 letters not 39.

This website is for sale! haias.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, haias.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

yev is a conjunction, es ev du.....armene ev arame ....yevayln
    I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

Obviously you didn't read this------->
      Originally posted by ckBejug
      Yev is actually not a letter of the alphabet. That would be like saying & which is shorthand for AND, as in AND (&) in X, Y, &, Z is a letter.

Originally posted by angelik22
      its a combo of yee and v, in shorthand we use yev... trust me
      Yes it is a COMBINATION. Yes it is two letters together to make a word. Two LETTERS, stuck together, one WORD.

No one is saying you're stupid. You can go to an Armenian schools for as long as you like, it doesn't change the fact that it's not a letter. Look at the english example. Is & a letter? NO. Yev is not a letter and making it one to make things 'easier' for people doesn't give it any more validity as a letter.
      The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

okie when i sense that someones really sstubborn i back down- go think whatever u want to think- all i am doing is letting you know that there is a difference of opinion- dont get ur panties in a bunch--
        okie whatever u say- if u want it to be a WORD let it be- have a great day!!

Comment

yev is a letter... after the genocide the scholars from around the world assisted armenians in compiling all the BOOKS that were left after the turks burned our schools down... the very smart literary scholars in armenia, russian, france and all over the world helped ARMENIA (the country) with this... and they came up with 39 letters because of the the BOOKS that were left... Mesrop Mashtots put together 36 letters but, after careful analysis of our writings and our literature and our books they put together the NATIONALLY ACCEPTED ARMENIAN letters and they entailed 39 letters...

for example in the english language there is the Shakespearian English and there is proper modern English, so people around the world who speak english speak the modern english, they dont go around changing the shakespear books, but they certainly are not going to stay outdated with their language skills...

so going back to armenian, the people who were not in ARMENIA but who were armenian, did not have the opportunity to take advangate of this, but what they did have were the limited teachings of priests, and family... therefore there was no critical analysis of the language its grammer its spelling for armenians outside of armenia... now you may be wondering how could they just not take it and use it from armenia... well many people, if you are from Iran, lebanon, or wherever, you can ask your parents, they had to lie and say they werent Armenian, or they hid their schools in peoples homes... whatever... so they did not have this capability to have advanced studies done about the language that was almost DISTROYED by the turks...

in essence... YEV is a letter... we know this because they have books written in OLD A$$ time that have that letter in the literature inside WORDS... WOW! yes that does exist... for example the word Yerevan (yer(yev)an) and in armenian in those super old books thats what is written, go to MATENADARAN books are old as BC times...

there are many words that use this letter... like Gevork (G(yev)ork)... correct grammer in usage of this word dictates that when you are making a (toghadarts) you must cut the (yev) into YE and E (that would be the (yes E) (not Eshi E)

what is incorrect about the "western" armenian literature is that there is no actual literature about it... it is a home taught (home grown) language that is not scholarary, and it is not studied by proper Armenian speakers... i actually am opposed to teaching this old style of language because it is grammatically, incorrect, and incosistent... they say they have 38 letter (i know they say its from Mesrop Mashtots but i thought he had 36) and they also say that they only have 26 sounds... WHY? when the BEAUTIFUL Armenian language that has been studied, developed, and enriched with analysis has 38 sounds.. and that 39th letter is YEV and its not a sound its a combination of two sounds that already exist in this BEAUTIFUl Armenian language...

so i say, tell your teacher that it is improper to say that what ARMENIA has is incorrect (and it has studied this for YEARS there are scholars, and academia specially made for this) and the armenians in other countries at the time could not use this, because of fear of being killed... so they just took one book and taught from what they could remember... and it was only 26 sounds and 38 (or 36 they are confused) long...

thanks for your wonderful time... live long and prosper ( i know this may be hard since we are armenian)

Comment

Some how I knew the answer lied within Baron Dants. Many things lie within Baron Dants. I know I do
            Last edited by HyeJinx1984; 09-08-2004, 11:31 PM.
            "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

how many words are written with the supposed letter "yev"?

huh? huh? huh?

dorks

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
                yev is a letter... ....thanks for your wonderful time... live long and prosper ( i know this may be hard since we are armenian)

Just because something is written in shorthand does not qualify it as a letter. Like I said, apparently it is more often the Arevelahay speakers (Hayastantsi Armenian) who have learned that yev is a letter, and Arevmdahays (dialect of those living under Arab rule) learn that it is not a letter. We can have this circular argument all day long and not get anywhere. We all have sources of information and not any one source is more valid than the other... It doesn't matter anyway. One extra 'letter', or lack thereof, makes no difference. Our language is still extrememly rich and beautiful and counting a combination of two letters as one will not change that fact.

what is incorrect about the "western" armenian literature is that there is no actual literature about it... it is a home taught (home grown) language that is not scholarary, and it is not studied by proper Armenian speakers...
                This is complete and utter bullsh!t and you know it. 'Eastern' Armenian, or Arevelahayeren, is in no way superior to 'Western' Armenian, or Arevmdahayeren. If you got your head out of your a$$ and actually read any of the wonderful Armenian literature and poetry out there you would see that the Armenian people are lucky to have such articulate and inspiring writers and orators. Both in Eastern and Western Armenian. Neither is incorrect or 'not scholarly.' We have well learned scholars and experts and panasdeghds and keroghs who write in both. They are both beautiful languages, they are both PROPER Armenian, but it is just like an Armenian to claim that the language he speaks is better than the one someone else speaks, isn't it?
                Last edited by ckBejug; 09-09-2004, 10:15 AM.
                The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
                  Many things lie within Baron Dants. I know I do
                  Whaaaaaaaaat?!

Comment

lol... i know it is incorrect to say that one is right and the other is wrong bcause we all have to be politically correct and not say (your poopie stinks in your face) and jsut say it in private...

i am a realist and i shall remain a realist...

and hyejinx how could you lie within baron dants? LOL!!!
                    HILARIOUS!

Comment

nunechka: it is not a matter of being p.c.; it is a matter of not being unfair, ignorant, and pompous. I think everyone can agree that "yev" is a combination of two letters. That means it relies on a defined set of letters that are agreed upon. Can you tell me, linguistically, what the purpose would be to create a letter that is dependant on two other letters? Do you realize that it is unnecessary because in spelling it can be written with the two letters separated? There are no grammatical rules in Armenian that would have suggested the requirement to combine those two letters and use another "letter" instead which is a combination of those two letters. Do you realize that no other Indo-European language has such a thing? Those people you are talking about decided to make a shorthand form into a letter. Fine. But it wasn't based on a linguistic necessity that the Western dialect doesn't understand. That's just very unfair and pompous. And I have to say, that the idea of it being considered a seperate letter is utterly laughable. That's right: the short hand form of "and" in English should be considered a single letter so words like band and land and hand can actually be two letters in length. You do anderstand that a letter can be either a consonant or a vowel and not both at the same time, right? Also the whole notion of the Western dialect being taught only in unofficial environments is also ignorant. Melkonian was a very respected school that has existed in some form or another since the 1880s. There are also schools in lebanon that have been around since the early 20th century.
                      Last edited by Stark Evade; 09-09-2004, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X