Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Obama Recognizes Armenian Genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh okay

Now I get it, thanks Steph.

Comment

• I wonder how Ergun feels today He has now ruined Hahn's career.

CALIFORNIA ELECTIONS
      Foes of Armenian genocide resolution back Adam Schiff's opponent
      Irvine resident raises money for Charles Hahn, who is running against the Burbank-based congressman.
      By Molly Hennessy-Fiske
      November 1, 2008
      Opponents of a national resolution recognizing the Armenian genocide are attempting to unseat the legislation's sponsor, Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Burbank), by throwing support behind his long-shot Republican challenger.

Last month, Turkish businessman Ergun Kirlikovali, who opposes the resolution and has written for websites that deny the genocide, hosted a buffet dinner in Orange County that raised more than $15,000 for Schiff's challenger, Charles Hahn. Kirlikovali, 56, of Irvine lives outside Schiff's 29th congressional district, as do many of those who attended the dinner and made donations.

Hahn's most recent campaign finance reports show he also received $2,300 from the Turkish Coalition USA Political Action Committee, a national group that opposes the genocide resolution. He had raised about $70,000 as of the last campaign filing Oct. 15, and Schiff had raised more than $1 million.

"If a politician has the right message, we will support him," said Kirlikovali, adding that he is determined to unseat Schiff. "If not this time, next time. Schiff's days are numbered."

The congressional resolution, which would officially recognize the early 20th century massacre of 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks as genocide, did not make it to a vote in the House last year. But it was held over, passed by the House Foreign Affairs Committee earlier this year and still has the support of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

Schiff has said that if elected, he will try to get the resolution passed next year.

National Armenian groups have lobbied hard for the resolution and say opponents, particularly Turkish lobbyists, are increasingly targeting Schiff and other supporters. Kirlikovali said Turkish groups have staged at least 40 other fundraisers nationally for candidates who support Turkish-American relations and oppose the genocide resolution.

Schiff's campaign staff said they found out about the Kirlikovali fundraiser through campaign finance filings last week. The congressman immediately directed his campaign to notify several Armenian reporters.

"It was important for people in my district to know that this organization in Orange County dedicated to denying the genocide was supporting my opponent," Schiff said Friday.

"We need to send a message back that we won't be deterred or intimidated. The history is plain: A million and a half Armenians lost their lives in the genocide during the first half of the century."

Hahn said his acceptance of support from Kirlikovali and other Turkish groups should not be interpreted as denial of the genocide.

"I do not deny the Armenian genocide," Hahn said. "I understand that many people died."

Hahn said that he opposes Schiff's genocide resolution because it is divisive and that if elected, he would craft a solution that pleases both sides. He said he was canvassing for support door to door in Glendale this week and met many Armenian residents who mentioned the genocide as an important issue but said they were willing to discuss it with Turkish counterparts.

Local Armenian leaders said Hahn's acceptance of donations and support from those who deny the genocide was troubling but did not lead them to make extra donations to Schiff.

People in the Western region headquarters of the Armenian National Committee of America, which is in Glendale, are longtime Schiff supporters. They were not approached by Hahn before or after the flap over the fundraiser, said regional chairman Vicken Papazian. He said he was disturbed that Hahn accepted donations from "people who are promoting a denialist position" but said his group had not contacted the Republican's campaign to complain, Papazian said.

Hennessy-Fiske is a Times staff writer.

molly.hennessy-fiske
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Joseph View Post
        I wonder how Ergun feels today He has now ruined Hahn's career.

CALIFORNIA ELECTIONS
        Foes of Armenian genocide resolution back Adam Schiff's opponent
        Irvine resident raises money for Charles Hahn, who is running against the Burbank-based congressman.
        By Molly Hennessy-Fiske
        November 1, 2008
        Opponents of a national resolution recognizing the Armenian genocide are attempting to unseat the legislation's sponsor, Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Burbank), by throwing support behind his long-shot Republican challenger.

Last month, Turkish businessman Ergun Kirlikovali, who opposes the resolution and has written for websites that deny the genocide, hosted a buffet dinner in Orange County that raised more than $15,000 for Schiff's challenger, Charles Hahn. Kirlikovali, 56, of Irvine lives outside Schiff's 29th congressional district, as do many of those who attended the dinner and made donations.

Hahn's most recent campaign finance reports show he also received $2,300 from the Turkish Coalition USA Political Action Committee, a national group that opposes the genocide resolution. He had raised about $70,000 as of the last campaign filing Oct. 15, and Schiff had raised more than $1 million.

"If a politician has the right message, we will support him," said Kirlikovali, adding that he is determined to unseat Schiff. "If not this time, next time. Schiff's days are numbered."

The congressional resolution, which would officially recognize the early 20th century massacre of 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks as genocide, did not make it to a vote in the House last year. But it was held over, passed by the House Foreign Affairs Committee earlier this year and still has the support of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

Schiff has said that if elected, he will try to get the resolution passed next year.

National Armenian groups have lobbied hard for the resolution and say opponents, particularly Turkish lobbyists, are increasingly targeting Schiff and other supporters. Kirlikovali said Turkish groups have staged at least 40 other fundraisers nationally for candidates who support Turkish-American relations and oppose the genocide resolution.

Schiff's campaign staff said they found out about the Kirlikovali fundraiser through campaign finance filings last week. The congressman immediately directed his campaign to notify several Armenian reporters.

"It was important for people in my district to know that this organization in Orange County dedicated to denying the genocide was supporting my opponent," Schiff said Friday.

"We need to send a message back that we won't be deterred or intimidated. The history is plain: A million and a half Armenians lost their lives in the genocide during the first half of the century."

Hahn said his acceptance of support from Kirlikovali and other Turkish groups should not be interpreted as denial of the genocide.

"I do not deny the Armenian genocide," Hahn said. "I understand that many people died."

Hahn said that he opposes Schiff's genocide resolution because it is divisive and that if elected, he would craft a solution that pleases both sides. He said he was canvassing for support door to door in Glendale this week and met many Armenian residents who mentioned the genocide as an important issue but said they were willing to discuss it with Turkish counterparts.

Local Armenian leaders said Hahn's acceptance of donations and support from those who deny the genocide was troubling but did not lead them to make extra donations to Schiff.

People in the Western region headquarters of the Armenian National Committee of America, which is in Glendale, are longtime Schiff supporters. They were not approached by Hahn before or after the flap over the fundraiser, said regional chairman Vicken Papazian. He said he was disturbed that Hahn accepted donations from "people who are promoting a denialist position" but said his group had not contacted the Republican's campaign to complain, Papazian said.

Hennessy-Fiske is a Times staff writer.

molly.hennessy-fiske

And here are the results:

BYE-BYE HAHN!

Comment

• Congratulations, dear American Armenians.

I am going to prepare

- a special page on African Americans in France so that to have a permanent contact

- a page on the "Obama Efect" on France :

- Le Vivre ensemble -Diversité en France - Différentes composantes - Les Noirs en France - Le dialogue islamo-chrétien - African Americans in France - Americans in France - Les Arméniens dans la politique - Symbolique de Génocide impuni, non reconnu et non reparé

In Paris, we have an American Armenia Committee :

Best regards from Paris. Nil

Comment

• I am creating a new page on "The obama Effect in France And the French Armenians ?" :

Best regards from Paris. Nil.

Comment

• Obama Photo Book - Breathtaking! (Scout Tufankjian)

Found this great post on another forum.Check out the photos by Scout Tufankjian on the link below!

If you have some time on your hands you should treat yourselves and browse through the 100s of photos from Obama's campaign on Scout Tufankjian's website - they're just stunning.

Scout Tufankjian is a photographer based in Brooklyn, New York. She is represented by Polaris Images and supports the Boston Red Sox.

She's bringing out a book of the photos (Yes We Can: Barack Obama's History-Making Presidential Campaign) on December 8 - you can pre-order it here:

Yes We Can: Barack Obama's History-Making Presidential Campaign [Tufankjian, Scout] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Yes We Can: Barack Obama's History-Making Presidential Campaign

I can't believe it's only $17.97 - for a hardback photo book?!

Yikes, it sounds like I'm her agent - I'm not, but I wish I was Scout Tufankjian and had that talent!

This is her in action (LOL):

She got a birthday kiss from him, though, so sounds like they were good pals.

Comment

• Gul to ask Israel to help prevent Armenian Genocide recognition by Obama

09.12.2008 18:48 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Turkish president Abdullah Gul will meet with his Israeli counterpart Shimon Peres to discuss advancing the Turkey-mediated negotiations between Israel and Syria, a senior Turkish official told Haaretz.

This will be Gul’s first visit as president, though he came here three times in his previous role as foreign minister.

The two leaders will also discuss the Iranian nuclear threat, an issue on which they disagreed sharply when Peres visited Ankara last year.

Another issue on Gul’s agenda will be the Armenian Genocide. The Turkish president is expected to ask Israel to use its influence in Washington to try to prevent recognition of the Genocide by U.S. President-elect Barack Obama, Hurriyet daily reports.

Link

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexandros View Post

Gul to ask Israel to help prevent Armenian Genocide recognition by Obama

09.12.2008 18:48 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Turkish president Abdullah Gul will meet with his Israeli counterpart Shimon Peres to discuss advancing the Turkey-mediated negotiations between Israel and Syria, a senior Turkish official told Haaretz.

This will be Gul’s first visit as president, though he came here three times in his previous role as foreign minister.

The two leaders will also discuss the Iranian nuclear threat, an issue on which they disagreed sharply when Peres visited Ankara last year.

Another issue on Gul’s agenda will be the Armenian Genocide. The Turkish president is expected to ask Israel to use its influence in Washington to try to prevent recognition of the Genocide by U.S. President-elect Barack Obama, Hurriyet daily reports.

Link
                  Are you kidding me? They are using the guilt caused by one genocide to overshadow the atrocities of another? WTF?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
                    Are you kidding me? They are using the guilt caused by one genocide to overshadow the atrocities of another? WTF?
                    Its world politics, Israel and Turkey are trying to do diplomacy to get economic deals, regardless of what is morally unacceptable.

Comment

• Video

ANCA Capitol Conversations: Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ)

Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ) sits down with the ANCA in his Congressional office to discuss Armenian American issues on the horizon for 2009. January 7, 2009.

Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ) sits down with the ANCA in his Congressional office to discuss Armenian American issues on the horizon for 2009. January 7, 2009.

Comment

Working...
                      X