Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

International News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jade View Post
    Ps: we watched it on BBC and the commentator would occasionally comment with the usual British sarcasm on the outfits or the quality of the songs etc, which made it all the more enjoyable!)
    The BBC commentator is Terry Wogan, an Irish DJ from BBC 2 Radio, famous now for 30 odd years, definitely the only reason the show is watched in the UK and he's completely unbiased as he is equally caustic in his comments about everyone and everything, but always with a smile !

Comment

The majority of those who are upset with Serbia's victory seem to think that Ukraine deserved to win. I'm sorry, but if there are people who think that flamboyant and ridiculous piece of crap was worth voting for then there is no hope left for Eurovision. And the Armenian song was downright awful. I imagine its only support came from diaspora Armenians in various European countries.

Why don't the Western European countries send more talented performers? Maybe it would get them out of their slump. For example, the United Kingdom could send Kate Bush. Though requesting for her to perform at that celebration of mediocrity known as Eurovision might be perceived as an insult nowadays.

Comment

From The Times
        May 14, 2007
        Of course it’s all a joke – but do they know that in Sarajevo?
        Robbie Millen: Commentary

Ukraine was robbed. Any fool who follows the Eurovision Song Contest must know that Verka Serduchka’s song Dancing Lasha Tumbai should have won.

Silver tinfoil costumes, a meaningless catchy tune warbled in four languages, a transvestite front-erm-person — what could more encapsulate the glorious naffness of the competition? Yes, Ukraine was truly robbed by Balkan chicanery, and I’m as sick as a parrot.

The Eurovision Song Contest is the gay world’s FA Cup. It is the only time that the BBC gives over three hours of primetime just so that the bars of Old Compton Street can fill up with gay boys and girls who want to shout derision and encouragement at big TV screens.

What’s not to like about an event that is camper than a row of sequinned tents? On what other occasion could you thrill to Dmitry Koldun from Belarus, whose vivid spray-on tan left an orange fuzz on my TV set for more than an hour? And was there not fun to be had watching Kenan Dogulu who, despite the evidence of his own mirror, hip-wiggled and cavorted under the misapprehension that he was Turkey’s answer to Ricky Martin? (If he was the answer, the Turks misheard the question.)

Did you not find yourself in awe of the curling tongs that created the iron-clad hairdos of the Serbian backing singers? Where else could you see such style as Germany’s Roger Cicero, who dressed like Frank Sinatra trapped in a snowstorm? And did you guess how many seconds before the Irish entry would go all Riverdancy? Let us honour Scooch too, who understood the spirit of the competition and sung appropriately off-key double-entendres about “blowing”. These moments — the time when taste runs for the hills — deserve to be televised.

Of course, the event reveals some terrible regional backscratching. But who cares? We don’t want to win a contest in which Serbian hairdressers or the legions of continental David Hasselhoff fans have a vote. Eurovision isn’t about winning; it’s about the absurdity of our great continent set to tinny music and decked out in fabulous costumes.

But one sobering thought. We in Britain regard it as a celebration of silliness, but does the rest of Europe? Nations unblessed with Woganian irony might regard Eurovision as a serious pop-cultural highlight. I have this terrible feeling that this year’s winner, Marija Šerifovic, is going to be the biggest thing in Sarajevo since Gavrilo Princip let loose his bullet on Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Perhaps that’s a good thing. The best jokes are the ones that not everyone is in on.

Comment

Great article.

Comment

Indeed it is!
            By the way Steph thanks so much for the info! I've been dying to find out who the BBC guy was Now I'll go and google him

Comment

????

Turkey sent Armenia a political message via Eurovision?
              14.05.2007 19:19 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ It attracted the interest of many that Turkey only gave the maximum 12 points to Armenian singer Hayko’s “Anytime You Need.” Musical tastes aside, most people believe this is a political message.

“We are neighbors. We need to be friends. It goes to show how prominent a role music, friendship, and art play,” said Sezen Cumhur Onal, a celebrated music critic in Turkey. He believes the votes cast from Turkey for the Armenian contestant to be political and said there could not have been a better Mothers’ Day present.

On the other hand, Alin Tasciyan an Armenian-Turkish journalist and acclaimed film critic believes that political messages given through the Eurovision song contest fall short, as the contest itself has no political significance. She does not believe it is possible for Armenia to receive so many votes from only the Armenian community in Turkey. “I do not believe it is a high probability Because the number of Armenian living in Turkey is not that high,” she said, Turkish daily News reports.

Hayko with his song “Anytime You Need” took the 8th place in Eurovision 2007. He got 138 points. The highest 12 points he got from Turkey and Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
                The BBC commentator is Terry Wogan, an Irish DJ from BBC 2 Radio, famous now for 30 odd years, definitely the only reason the show is watched in the UK and he's completely unbiased as he is equally caustic in his comments about everyone and everything, but always with a smile !
                Hi Steph-

We had a whole thread about the Eurovision contest last year and about how much a joke it is. The Northern/Western Europeans seem to regard it as a farce-high on the unintentional comedy meter- (much like some Americans regard "American Idol"), which I also feel it is. If I lived in the UK, I'd probably have my friends over, have a few brews, and watch in absolute amusement. I'm jeaous of you guys.
                General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Turkey sent Armenia a political message via Eurovision?
                  14.05.2007 19:19 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ It attracted the interest of many that Turkey only gave the maximum 12 points to Armenian singer Hayko’s “Anytime You Need.” Musical tastes aside, most people believe this is a political message.

“We are neighbors. We need to be friends. It goes to show how prominent a role music, friendship, and art play,” said Sezen Cumhur Onal, a celebrated music critic in Turkey. He believes the votes cast from Turkey for the Armenian contestant to be political and said there could not have been a better Mothers’ Day present.

On the other hand, Alin Tasciyan an Armenian-Turkish journalist and acclaimed film critic believes that political messages given through the Eurovision song contest fall short, as the contest itself has no political significance. She does not believe it is possible for Armenia to receive so many votes from only the Armenian community in Turkey. “I do not believe it is a high probability Because the number of Armenian living in Turkey is not that high,” she said, Turkish daily News reports.

Hayko with his song “Anytime You Need” took the 8th place in Eurovision 2007. He got 138 points. The highest 12 points he got from Turkey and Georgia.
                  I hardly know what to write. More unintentional comedy perhaps?
                  General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                    I hardly know what to write. More unintentional comedy perhaps?
                    The beauty of it all is that it does give us something to smile about.in an otherwise sh*tty world.

Comment

The beauty of it all is that it does give us something to smile about.in an otherwise sh*tty world.
                      Do you guys ever accidentally spit beer out of your nose from hysterics when you see the performances?

I imagine many unintentional Borats performing.

Comment

Working...
                      X