Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Please Sign This Petition: Özür diliyoruz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ertugrul Ozkok: The apology campaign for Armenians is a joke

At last I am relieved. Peter Gabriel, a singer I enjoyed very much during his "Genesis" days, but whose ethnic obsession I find it difficult to understand, has joined the campaign "to apologize to Armenians".

He apologizes on behalf of us, "Turks", to the Armenians for the bad things that "we Turks" did to the Armenians.

I was considering whether to join the campaign or not. I was relieved when I read the news about Gabriel.

Since he apologizes to the Armenians on our behalf, Turks, then I apologize to the Indians, the Pakistanis and to the indigenous people of former colonies in the Far East on behalf of the "Brits".

For the bad things that "those Brits" did to these people.

The formula for the historic solution of the Armenian issue has been found. People from different countries apologize to the people of some other country for the bad things that another country did to them.

In addition the country's parliaments have been taking over the authority of "rewriting history" or vice a versa for the bad things that one country did to some other nation.

In that case, for us, as Turks there is no problem. As for the Armenians; we now have a chance to solve this problem via proxies.

Let's leave aside the amusing aspect of it. I consider this "apology campaign" started by some Turkish intellectuals as a huge joke.

The text they had prepared is wonderful!

Now I am waiting with some trepidation to see just how many Turks join the most romantic campaign in the history. A million people? Maybe two, three, five million?

What if the number of people who sign does not reach the 47 percent that presents the national will?

Think about it: "The national will definitely does not apologize..."

We would be disgraced in eyes of Armenians.

Since Peter Gabriel has joined, I think we should place on the table all the issues that need apologizing for.

For example, who is going to apologize for the Turkish diplomats murdered by the ASALA terror organization?

We should find people from other countries since no Armenian, either from Armenia or the diaspora has come forward to do that.

I propose an appeal to Mick Jagger. He will sign it for sure.

We should knock on Germany’s door to get apologizes for the Turks and Kurds who were slaughtered by the Armenian gangs in 1915, but the Germans have another apology issue to deal with.

What about the Turkish civilians who were killed in Thessaloniki during the Balkan Wars, despite the fact they had laid down their weapons.

Who is going to apologize of their behalf?

Do you think a Canadian might do it?

Leonard Cohen, for example.

No he won't - since he loves the Greeks and lived on a Greek island for years.

Maybe it would be possible to find someone from Asia.

Let me warn you: It is easy to find someone who would come down hard on Turks but it is not so easy to find someone who to apologize for the Turks that were slaughtered.

Still it is a good thing to have a few Turkish intellectuals who would apologize on behalf of Turks.

In the future we will stand up in front of the whole world and say "Look, we have people who apologize. But there is not even one representative from them."

I sincerely support this campaign only to say that.

And I promise to give my full backing, as Peter Gabriel has done, to signature campaigns that are launched for the all bad things that the Brits and French have done.

I flied into rage! He is mocking. There was a lyric of the song Mr Jack, System of A Down: xxxx YOU PIG!

Comment

He's trying to stir trouble with the "foreign influence" tripe.

I think he has a problem with apologizing in general. He's obviously hinting to the Holocaust when he refers to Germany.

Hah. Has anyone else noticed that the only time Turks seem to care about Kurds is when 1915 comes up? Yet many Kurds seem to have apologized for what happened to the Armenians (some even acknowledging Kurdish responsibility), so it's sort of contradictory.

This is obviously written with a core audience in mind - Turks, who throughout history have apparently been engaged in a battle with imperialists and the evil West. Don't believe me? It's in their national anthem.

Oh, and LOL, Peter Gabriel? I'm loving this!

Comment

Hmm. Bulent Kenes now conveniently recalls a tragedy experienced by his grandmother and grandfather. The Turkish people have apparently bottled up this attempted genocide against them, and only like to bring it up when Armenians are mentioned! Perhaps he should demand reparations!

Oh, Bulent. You couldn't help but use this classic quibble, could you: "Moreover, if the Turks had intended to commit systematic genocide on the Armenian people, they would have done it easily, at the time when their power was at its peak."

I think we're going to be seeing more of these tit for tat arguments.

Article at Today's Zaman: http://todayszaman.com/tz-web/yazarD...haberno=161457

BTW-This may be the first time I have come across two articles from Turkish columnists with a total absence or reference to the "world Armenian lobby."

Comment

Originally posted by chinchilla View Post
          Hah. Has anyone else noticed that the only time Turks seem to care about Kurds is when 1915 comes up? Yet many Kurds seem to have apologized for what happened to the Armenians (some even acknowledging Kurdish responsibility), so it's sort of contradictory.

This is obviously written with a core audience in mind - Turks, who throughout history have apparently been engaged in a battle with imperialists and the evil West. Don't believe me? It's in their national anthem.

Oh, and LOL, Peter Gabriel? I'm loving this!
          Well really the Ottoman Empire was a horrific time for everyone, all the minority groups were fighting and killing each other, the Turkish government favored the Kurds above the other minorities. Now the Turkish government has finally turned against the Kurds as well.

Comment

I'm starting to remember the movie "Gangs of New York", lol, after reading what you said Peter.
            THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
              I'm starting to remember the movie "Gangs of New York", lol, after reading what you said.
              Yeah but the Ottoman Empire really was like that, but saying that an Empire itself is a bad thing, as in Empire's there are racial groups oppressing another racial groups.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
                Well really the Ottoman Empire was a horrific time for everyone, all the minority groups were fighting and killing each other, the Turkish government favored the Kurds above the other minorities. Now the Turkish government has finally turned against the Kurds as well.
                Actually, i suppose it is different from what you told qualitatively. It is not a war of "bellum omnium contra omnes" in the level of minorities.

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
                  Actually, i suppose it is different from what you told qualitatively. It is not a war of "bellum omnium contra omnes" in the level of minorities.
                  Okay, well I will put it this way. Minority groups in the Ottoman Empire, after the conquest of the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire fought for influence, this ended in bloodshed and sometimes it was resolved, but overall there was mostly bloodshed.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
                    Okay, well I will put it this way. Minority groups in the Ottoman Empire, after the conquest of the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire fought for influence, this ended in bloodshed and sometimes it was resolved, but overall there was mostly bloodshed.
                    I didnot mean this.

Comment

It's still very tabou subject in Turkey, we are at the beginning of the process and it'll take time. We need our Armenian brothers support and patience. As mentionned Turks are not one bloc, historical books and personal stories multiply. Only civil society will change the way politicans handle this question. Collaboration between Turkish and Armenian historians, researchers, professors, journalists and intellectuals is essential.
                      Plot theories are very usual in Turkey and also this part of the world. We need moderate Armenian voices to assure the Turkish people that there is no financial nor territory claims but only justice, to condemn Armenian violence during WW1 and ASALA terrorism...I don't know how but a big symbolic gesture condemning ASALA and WW1 assasinations would be VERY well received by Turks. We need your support! By the way it'll be a good idea to invite Turks to commemorate together 24th of April in 2009.

Comment

Working...
                      X