Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hip Hop vs. Rap ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
      I'm the King. You're not even the Queen.
      don't forget who the

is...

Comment

Originally posted by 1womanARMY
        That's adorable.

Comment

just like me!

Comment

^ Of course, cutie.

Comment

You know one of the things I love about hip hop is the art of sampling. Now I know that wherever a small or HUGE snippet is taken from a previously recorded musical piece it is considered sampling. I have no beef with that fact at all. The only problem I have with sampling is when an artist like P~Diddy just take the main grooves or the catchiest excerpts from a musical selection, adds a clichéd hip hop beat that is also not original, and then sells a million copies. It's just too easy like fishing with dynamite. Of course it's going to work dummy ... the song you're sampling, IN IT'S ENTIRETY, was already a mega success (i.e. the Kool & the Gang sample/song P~Diddy used with Mase in that one tacky video where he is dressed up in a silver suit ... I forget the name ... Hollywood Swingin' or sumthin'.).

Well to get to my point the part of sampling I actually enjoy is the whole diggin' culture and those ppl who are really the proprietors and gate keepers of hidden musical jems. If not for these ppl, that bring older songs to your attention in the medium of sample exposure, then many remarkable songs might get missed all together. It's a second level art no doubt but it's still creative and intriguing on a recyclable level.

By researching the origins of the samples contained within any particular hip hop track you begin to take a major history lesson into the world of music. If a producer is interested in creating tracks in this time honored method you can imagine how much music from all the ages and genre's said producer will have to listen to just to find one small usable section. In the process many ppl find tracks that are complete random favorites although they really have nothing worth using ... technically speaking.

The next song I am going to post is from Pete Rock & CL Smooth. The title is T.R.O.Y. or They Reminisce Over You. It's my favorite hip hop song pretty much ever because the sample and its usage are rare and extremely creative in that order. The lyrics are also some of my favorite ever. The sample comes from Tom Scott's cover of Jefferson Airplane's Today. Both versions of Today are worth listening to imo and listening to the transition from the Jefferson Airplane original through the Tom Scott cover, and finally to Pete Rock & CL Smooth's T.R.O.Y. is truly remarkable in a "progression of musical styles" sense. This is also a great example of how a small musical section can actually be used to create an entire new musical piece or idea. It's like taking a musical moment and extending the life of that moment. What was a riff becomes a song.
              __________________________________________________ _______________

Artist: Pete Rock and CL Smooth
              Album: Mecca and the Soul Brother
              Song: They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y)

I reminisce for a spell, or shall I say think back
              22 years ago to keep it on track
              The birth of a child on the 8th of October
              A toast but my granddaddy came sober
              Countin all the fingers and the toes
              Now I suppose, you hope the little black boy grows, uhh
              18 years younger than my mama
              But I really got beatings cause the girl loved drama
              In single parenthood there I stood
              By the time she was 21, had another one
              This one's a girl, let's name her Pam
              Same father as the first but you don't give a ____
              Irresponsible, plain not thinking
              Papa said chill but the brother keep winking
              Still he won't down you or tear out your hide
              On your side while the baby make a slide
              But mama got wise to the game
              The youngest of five kids, hon here it is
              After 10 years without no spouse
              Momma's gettin married in the house
              Listen, positive over negative for the women and master
              Mother Queen's risin a chapter
              Deja vu, tell you what I'm gonna do
              When they reminisce over you, my God

~

When I date back I recall a man off the family tree
              My right hand Poppa Doc I see
              Took me from a boy to a man so I always had a father
              When my biological didn't bother
              Taking care of this so who am I to bicker
              Not a bad ticker but I'm clocking pop's liver
              But you can never say that his life is through
              5 kids at 21 believe he got a right too
              Here we go while I check the scene
              With the Portugese lover at the age of 14
              The same age, front page, no fuss
              But I bet you all your dough, they live longer than us
              Never been senile, that's where you're wrong
              But give the man a taste and he's gone
              Noddin off, sleep to a jazz tune
              I can hear his head banging on the wall in the next room
              I get the pillow and hope I don't wake him
              For this man do cuss, hear it all in verbatim
              Telling me how to raise my boy unless he's taking over
              I said pop maybe when you're older
              We laughed all night about the hookers at the party
              My old man standing yelling good God, almighty
              Use your condom, take sips of the brew
              When they reminisce over you, for real

~

I reminisce so you never forget this
              The days of wayback, so many bear witness to fitness
              Take the first letter out of each word in this joint
              Listen close as I prove my point
              T to the R-uh-O-Y, how did you and I meet?
              In front of Big Lou's, fighting in the street
              But only you saw what took many time to see
              I dedicate this to you for believing in me
              Rain or shine, yes in any weather
              My grandmom Pam holds the family together
              My Uncle Doc's the greatest better yet the latest
              If we're talking about a car, Uncle Sterling got the latest
              I strive to be live 'cause I got no choice
              And run my own business like my Aunt Joyce
              So Pete Rock hit me, nuff respect due
              When they reminisce over you, listen

Pete Rock and CL Smooth for '92
              __________________________________________________ _______________

Later

Comment

Originally posted by 1womanARMY
                I don't think those genitalia-challenged cartoon characters could even have one way of doing it.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

The verdict is in:

Here

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
                    I don't think those genitalia-challenged cartoon characters could even have one way of doing it.

Comment

bell-the-cat has got to be my second favorite Scottish guy, after Sean Connery of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X