Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Zimmerman Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimmerman Case

So what do you guys think about the decision of the judge? I say he is guilty, because even though he was protecting himself...Zimmerman shouldn't have shot him in the heart..he could've aimed at the foot or some other part. Self defense does not mean you have to kill someone.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Re: Zimmerman Case

I was not following this case(bussy summer) and am curious about it myself. Btw if you are gona shoot someone you better make sure he goes down because if he does not then he will be coming for you and you do not know if he is armed or not..(the comment is a general one - not specifically directed at this case).
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

The judge didn't decide the verdict in the case. This was a jury trial.

The law doesn't specify where the person should be shot. I'm not happy about what happened, but I do not think the jury was wrong per se. They applied the law, as it's been written. If it didn't result in "justice," then that signals a need to revisit the law.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Now he is hiding...he better leave the African American community is after him

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
          Now he is hiding...he better leave the African American community is after him
          Yeah, that's about what I thought... You didn't really want to discuss it after all.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

What more is there to discuss?
            Originally posted by Siggie View Post
            Yeah, that's about what I thought... You didn't really want to discuss it after all.

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
              What more is there to discuss?
              Nothing, I get it... You just wanted to start a thread and pretend to contribute to discussion here.

Comment

I would like some info on it. Any reliable somewhat objective sources out there with info about this trial?
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

What are you looking for Haykakan? I haven't really seen any comprehensive stuff. Are you looking for the legal side? The evidence at trial? Juror's comments?

The short version is that Zimmerman sees Martin in his gated community on a rainy evening; a young black kid (age 17?) wearing a hoodie. Martin is returning to a relative's home where he is staying from convenience store where he bought soda. Zimmerman is carrying a concealed pistol and is neighborhood watchman. He's been described by others' as somewhat militant and as having "a hero complex." He calls 911 and reports this suspicious and unsavory "punk" to the police and describes him as the sort that always gets away. The dispatcher tells him to STOP FOLLOWING HIM. He follows him anyway. Martin notices this, on the phone with a friend says he's being followed and seems scared. He runs through the neighborhood, trying to lose the guy and eventually decides to turn and confront. I don't think it's entirely how they first collide, but at one point in the physical struggle, Martin gets the better of him and gets on top of him and is hitting him. At this point it seems that Martin becomes aware that the guy is armed and starts to get off of him, maybe trying to end the altercation? Zimmerman then shoots him and kills him.
                  Police don't arrest him for over a month citing the Stand your Ground self-defense law in Florida which allows one to use deadly force when one feels "threatened."

This is different from other states, even other Castle doctrine states... Most of the time you can only use proportional force and only in the face of IMMINENT harm and if you can retreat instead, you have a duty to do so. After Co in 1985 (?) passed a revision called "Castle doctrine" which makes one's home special in that you do not have a duty to retreat from one's "castle" but can defend it and the persons within. A bunch of states have this, including CA. Florida legislators in their infinite wisdom have gone one step further and removed any requirement to retreat anywhere... So, if you feel threatened and in danger of serious harm in Florida, you can respond with deadly force. Also, all one needs to do is present SOME evidence that they acted in self-defense and that's enough for the judge/jury then to have to find them not guilty unless they can decide that beyond a reasonable doubt you did NOT act in self-defense. They've made a law SO broad so as to be nearly meaningless. Even judges in Florida have commented that it's too broad and that under this law, if there was a shootout involving a bunch of people in public, everyone would be able to claim self-defense and walk away.

Comment

From this description it seems that Zimmerman escalated a harmless situation into a violent one because of his prejudice. Seems a civil suit should be appropriate for this situation.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                    X