Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    Yet you believe that an invention of man created it all.
    Of course, you would be one to believe there is no life form more intelligent than you.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Okay, this reductionist argument is crap and I, for one, am sick of it.

How can you say that you don't believe something can come from nothing and then argue about where the single-cell organism came from and then EXPLAIN (supposedly) that a creator must have done it. How is that any explanation at all? It doesn't even address your OWN criticism. Who created the creator? Where did this infinitely complex (must be to create all of the universe, right?) creator come from?
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

The typical answer seems to be well since you dont have all the answers i am going to go with the crappy answer regardless of how stupid it is. Btw there are some cool advances in physics lately but i am sure they were only discovered by gods will..
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          Okay, this reductionist argument is crap and I, for one, am sick of it.

How can you say that you don't believe something can come from nothing and then argue about where the single-cell organism came from and then EXPLAIN (supposedly) that a creator must have done it. How is that any explanation at all? It doesn't even address your OWN criticism. Who created the creator? Where did this infinitely complex (must be to create all of the universe, right?) creator come from?
          We can't think in definitive terms when dealing with the existence or non existence of a superior being that most likely, if exists, doesn't take the same form as us. We can only form certain degrees of doubt from knowledge and personal experiences. If interested, Theology studies the questions of the existence, nature and attributes of God, and God's relations with man (that includes wo-man).

Back to the questions at hand:

I said humans physically can't create something from nothing (we need building blocks).

For us, that single-cell organism might be complex. For a more intelligent being, it might be very simple. Intelligence as we know it, varies in degrees.

You are also correct in stating that this being would have to be infinite like the universe.

It is not of our concern where this creator came from, in fact it has no bearing on our lives because we form our lives from the choices we make (or others make for us). Let's assume that this being rules over us by omnipotence and omniscience yet we're completely oblivious by its existence. That does not change the choices we have to make to form our lives.

What does have a bearing on our lives is whether or not we believe in the moral implications of our actions which lead us to or from salvation and free will. If you don't believe in the existence of forces that do not want you to be free to choose and from those choices find salvation, then you are most likely living for the interests of those forces.

If you're looking for historical evidence of whether or not Christ existed, there is probably more evidence in the world around you than you can find in any literature such as the Bible that has most likely been doctored over the millenniums.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

This sounds like the political situation of the day more then anything else..Nothing you said here is new nor interesting..dude you should maybe go into comedy caus your funny when your not talkin about bs. A good example of the bs that religion is was displayed the other day. I pick up my son and my neighbors kid from the bus stop daily and the 10 yearold asked me who i am voting for and i said i dont know and thats when she said that her family is voting for romney because obama supports killing babies. I thought to myself that this is a great example of how the bs that is religion goes from generation to generation regardless how big the bs contained within it. As long as there are people who take fairytales as doctines for life - we will continue to suffer the curses of ignorence, racism, fanatasizm etc.. I wonder if that girl will ever have the chance to question the bs that her parents filled her head with.
            "If you don't believe in the existence of forces that do not want you to be free to choose and from those choices find salvation, then you are most likely living for the interests of those forces."
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              This sounds like the political situation of the day more then anything else..Nothing you said here is new nor interesting..dude you should maybe go into comedy caus your funny when your not talkin about bs. A good example of the bs that religion is was displayed the other day. I pick up my son and my neighbors kid from the bus stop daily and the 10 yearold asked me who i am voting for and i said i dont know and thats when she said that her family is voting for romney because obama supports killing babies. I thought to myself that this is a great example of how the bs that is religion goes from generation to generation regardless how big the bs contained within it. As long as there are people who take fairytales as doctines for life - we will continue to suffer the curses of ignorence, racism, fanatasizm etc.. I wonder if that girl will ever have the chance to question the bs that her parents filled her head with.
              "If you don't believe in the existence of forces that do not want you to be free to choose and from those choices find salvation, then you are most likely living for the interests of those forces."
              I think for yourself and most Americans alike... getting the F*** out of that country is freedom and salvation

Comment

Not true. Just ask the people of the middle east how free they feel. There is no escape that is why i make it a point to educate from within. Canada is a good example of how there is no escape because politics in that country more and more mirrors the politics in the USA.
                Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                I think for yourself and most Americans alike... getting the F*** out of that country is freedom and salvation
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                  Not true. Just ask the people of the middle east how free they feel. There is no escape that is why i make it a point to educate from within. Canada is a good example of how there is no escape because politics in that country more and more mirrors the politics in the USA.
                  True but the people are aware of that and there isn't nearly as much tension between people of different backgrounds. Discrimination against race by citizens is virtually non existent. It's just the rednecks and the Conservatives in government that I'd consider as racist.

Comment

There is not as much tension because class inequality is much less in Canada then in USA. Also government provides people with more things they need to live then in USA. All of this said i do believe we are drifting off topic here. The relevant point i was making was that religion is the perpetuation of bs along generations and like the little girl i used as an example many people are caught up in it not because they came to that conclusion on their own but because it was pounded into them from an early age and they probably will never be able to approach the issue in a rational manner and this bs will continue like it has for thousends of years. I am saying that this bs needs to stop!
                    Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                    True but the people are aware of that and there isn't nearly as much tension between people of different backgrounds. Discrimination against race by citizens is virtually non existent. It's just the rednecks and the Conservatives in government that I'd consider as racist.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye
                      It came from exploring the world which already existed. Humans can't create something out of nothing.
                      Just because you state that something cannot come from nothing does not make it necessary for that something to have been created by a god. Even if you could prove it was created by a god, it does not prove that this god cares about us, or that he is inherently good or evil. It does not prove that any of the so-called prophets actually communicated with this entity. Sorry Pepsi that means you too.

The mechanics of the universe do not depend on there to be the hypothesis of a god or a creator. The universe functions just fine without these assumptions.

In fact, the only time god is invoked is when we reach the limits of our knowledge. We used to say that the universe revolved around earth, that the sky and heavens work mysteriously, therefore created by god. Then we invented telescopes and saw that we actually revolve around a tiny sun in a tiny galaxy of the universe. This discovery was done with great trouble and great resistance from religious people who saw this as an affront to their beliefs. Cry me a river.

We used to think we were created by god in his image, until we found bones of our ancestors and realized that modern humans are the product of millions of years of evolution. This is still being resisted by many religious organizations, again because of their sensitivity and narrow-mindedness. So belief in god does not explain anything about the universe - It actually makes us comfortable with our ignorance which hinders our progress as a species.

The noted astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson gives a great lecture on how god is always invoked whenever us humans reach the limits of our knowledge. Definitely worth a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1te01...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                      X