Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Proof of Educational Dumbing Down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loseyourname
    Not that I disagree with you, but in all fairness, I doubt more than 5% of the childhood population actually went to school back then.
    Education in Britain for children was compulsory then, as it is now. So 100% of children went to school. The difference then is that it only was compulsory until age 11. Beyond that children had to sit exams to proceed further with education. It was called the "11plus exam", and it lasted until the 1940s, I think. Then the age was changed to 14. Then in the 1960s (I think), it became 16. Which is where it is now (though some want to increase it to 18). What was it like for education ages in America, or the Soviet Union during this periond - I wonder. Anyone know?

Children who took that 11+ exam generally would eventually go to university, so I don't think more than 15 or 20 % of children would have sat it, and they would have been the most intelligent (probably the data is out on the web somewhere if someone wants to search for it).

And I knew where Ondurman was!
    Fuzzy-wuzzy insurgents!! - interestingly that question would be today's equivalent of asking where Falluja is.

Steve
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
      Okay, I checked the US Census Bureau site (which took a while - I hate that site) and according to them, these are the numbers:

In 1900, 10% of kids age 5-14 were enrolled in school, and 8% of 18-24 year-olds were high school graduates.
      Only 10% - that is really really small, if it means only 10% of, say, 10 year olds. What did the rest do every day? Did they work?? Were most American's illiterate at that period - and if not, how did they learn to read! Or was there a sort of "Sunday school" that taught children at weekends if they worked weekdays

I suppose it's worth remembering that most of America in the year 1900 was still our equivalent of a third-world country.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
        I suppose it's worth remembering that most of America in the year 1900 was still our equivalent of a third-world country.
        And some would argue that the average American is, intellectually, still at that same stage of development! (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one )
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

It is true that our education is plummeting down. When I lived in Oklahoma we couldn't pass the 5th grade unless we knew all 50 states and their capitals. That requirement was lifted because of the lack of education and the growing number of failures.

I hope to God my children are not as stupid as when I see these days. Scores are down, the level of difficulty is too low and our teachers are underpaid so they have no real motivation to help todays children succeed in becoming the leaders of tomorrow.

pathetic...didn't the US ranking in education and literacy go down?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
            You are all missing the point. Compare a test for 11 year olds from then, to what 11 years olds get now..
            Times change you'll live..
            ..This isn't about results or anything...
            Yes it is..
            It's like the Pilgrims who eventually became the founders of this nation, these were people versed in ancient Greek, Latin, rhetoric, philosophy, and compare that to the politicians of the today.
            Who cares, we have translators now use em!

Comment

hello people, it doesnt matter what level of the population went to school then vs. now, the point of this thread is the DUMBING DOWN of the educational curriculum...

a good example is Armenia because it wasnt too long ago when everyone went to school, 99% and the education level was EXCELLENT...
              when i was in the 1st and 2nd grade (i am 24 now) i was learning algebra... LOL! its so funny when i say that because it seems almost impossible... BUT its true... in 2nd grade our math consisted of word problems which addressed major multiplication formulas, of if train (A) leaves at 14:45 from Paris and train (B) leaves at 13:25 from Moscow etc... when i came to the US i was like THIS IS A CAKE WALK! HA HA HA! and then i took the SATs and LOL! that sh!t cracked me up... i was like WTF?

on to other subjects: literature, i was learning russian when i was in kindergarden... LOL! of course Armenian was #1, but i spoke RUSSIAN! and i wrote in russian and i read in russian...
              geography: thats funny, i knew the capitals of most major countries, the distances between them, i knew what measurment system was used in the US and of course in Armenia, but most importantly i knew to convert them... i new who the president of the US was when i was in the 1st grade... LOL
              most of my knolwedge of geography is from Armenian schools... and even then people tell me, "hey you know so much, why?" i dont know? when i was out with one of my friends one evening, she actually said Saudi Arabia is the the capital of Bangladesh... LOL! ohh man that was funny, she is 23 years old! LOL! that still gets my lauging when i am sober or drunk... LOL!!! she was serious people... what was even funnier was that we were out with my other friend who is from BANGLADESH! lol! ohh man we had a good laugh...

anony i was waiting for someone to produce this thread, thanks hun ...

loseyourname, most private schools including the armenian ones teach at a level MUCH high then public schools... so an 11 year old in private school in the 5th grade is learning what an 8-9th grader is learning in public school... in private schools childern learn more then 1 other language, children are given better books, better teachers teach, etc... so the curriculum level provided to a child at that age has nothing to do with the amount of people attending school in a city or viliage... it has to do with the aims of the governing body or the aims of the society...

BTW people who live in villiages in armenia are MUCH more educated then people living in some cities in the US...

Comment

loseyourname, did you see the arithmatic portion??? an 11 yr old now CAN NOT DO THIS! what advancements have happened that have changed the words "Square root" ??? nothing it is still the same... the square root of 9 is still 3 and it will always be 3...

what about simplification??? all of the MATH that was produced/created was done before this century, there are no new forumals for basic math... new forumals for financial accting yes, but not basic math...

maybe history is something else to deal with... it is mroe and more every year... i can see that... but simple math, or what about language? or geography... it is one earth, many countries, thats not too hard... i can see that history and geography are connected, so why not teach geography along with history?

this article is creepy... and i am getting more and more pissed as i read it

Comment

That is precisely my point. Loser is driving at an incredibly marginal and rather moot point which doesn't mean anything for the argument I am advancing. It is a tangent that shouldn't even be bothered with. The overall thrust of the matter is the obvious decline in standards.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Ducati
                    Times change you'll live..
                    Change is either for the good or the bad. No one is disputing change, just its direction.

Yes it is..
                    It isn't about results. You are driving at a point which wasn't part of the topic. It doesn't cater to how many students were enrolled then vs how many are enrolled now. That is a non-issue. The point was standards and depth of the education involved.

Who cares, we have translators now use em!
                    There is that saying that equates ones wisdom with the amount of language one speaks, not simply relying on (often times erroneous) online translations. My guess is Dukaka, if you put down that bad religion CD for a change, then just maybe you might have a mini renaissance in that rather mediocre brain of yours.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
                      loseyourname, did you see the arithmatic portion??? an 11 yr old now CAN NOT DO THIS! what advancements have happened that have changed the words "Square root" ??? nothing it is still the same... the square root of 9 is still 3 and it will always be 3...

what about simplification??? all of the MATH that was produced/created was done before this century, there are no new forumals for basic math... new forumals for financial accting yes, but not basic math...
                      Well, all of these things can be done on a calculator. Of what use is your knowledge that the square root of 9 is 3? A much more useful tidbit of mathematical knowledge is the ability to perform operations using vector calculus, or encoding and decrypting using abstract algebra. Neither math was developed until the early 20th century.

I don't see what's so moot about my point. I can agree with you that the small number of 11 year-olds taking these tests were smarter than the bulk of 11 year-olds today, but frankly, that doesn't concern me. An 11 year-old doesn't perform any functions useful to society anyway. I'd be concerned if you could show me that the average 25 year-old today knows less than the average 25 year-old then, and I suspect that is not the case.

I have no argument with the point being made that elementary school education isn't what it used to be. I just don't see it as being much of a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X