Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Proof of Educational Dumbing Down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nunechka

loseyourname, most private schools including the armenian ones teach at a level MUCH high then public schools... so an 11 year old in private school in the 5th grade is learning what an 8-9th grader is learning in public school... in private schools childern learn more then 1 other language, children are given better books, better teachers teach, etc... so the curriculum level provided to a child at that age has nothing to do with the amount of people attending school in a city or viliage... it has to do with the aims of the governing body or the aims of the society...

BTW people who live in villiages in armenia are MUCH more educated then people living in some cities in the US...
    Wow...you do write baseless stuff...

Comment

ok spiral, whatever you say... LOL!

Comment

She's right, you know. You didn't back up anything you said with a single piece of evidence.

Comment

what in the world did i say that needs backing LOL! this is freakin ridiculas... you know everyone, the sun comes up in the morning, or do i have to have proof for that...???

i have a little brother, i see his hmwk... it is FUNNY! it is brainless BS... i compared what he did in 1st grade to what i did in 1st grade... my hmwk in 1st grade in Armenia was comparable to my hmwk in 5th grade (and sometimes much higher) in the US... what proof do you need?
          hasnt anyone here gone to private school??? my bf did, and he says that he also was doing damn near algebra in the 2nd grade, but my little brother in public school in the second grade was doing 1 + 1 what do you want me to do, bring in JESUS? what in the world did i say that was not in agreement with anony?

are you all reading what i write??? because i am not saying scientific things... my backing is my experience... my life, my little brother's education, my bf's education all compared to each other...

Comment

Nune,

I understand that what you posted may seem logical to you, and that is why you accept it as a fact, however logic does not always equal fact.

Yes, if you think about it, private schools have more money, they are able to buy “better” books, and even perhaps have a smaller teacher to student ratio compared to public schools, but though it may seem so, it does not mean that the education provided in private schools, is better than that of public schools.

From what I’ve seen, these Armenian private schools are awful. They have no set teaching plan, for each grade curriculum. They don’t know how to teach. They hire just about anyone who has a bachelors degree, doesn’t matter what their major. Most of their teachers are people who received a degree from Syria /Lebanon, without credentials.

No teaching credentials necessary, though it’s EXTREMLY important. You have to know how to teach, for the kids to be able to understand.

They have no order, ankap, ankp daser en nshanakum. 5+1 ch@ sovorats, 20+ 7 en pahanjum.

And even if whatever they're using is a set order/plan, it sucks. They're just pushing the kids through.

In public schools, the only people who may teach without credentials, are subs, and even that is being cut out.

Though I'm talking about Armenian private schools, I don't know much about other private schools.

Comment

Well generally, private schools in Europe are more difficult than schools in the US. A french end-school diploma is much more worthy then an American one...which is why there's the "international bac" and the "french bac"

Comment

...and to clear up. I'm talking about the Armenian private schools here, not elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by spiral
                  ...and to clear up. I'm talking about the Armenian private schools here, not elsewhere.
                  Okay, but compared to US private schools, most of private school present a higher level.

Comment

i said private school in the US... and i have not attended private ARMENIAN school in the US, but i would assume that it is also a lot better then any public school in the US...

my bf has attended private school in the US, and it wasnt armenian... so his experiece is where i got that info from...

??? why is it so confusing to understand simple things... and why is it so difficult to have a conversation about a subject on this forum??? if you dont agree with me thats fine, but please provide your experience or your knowledge that counters it, other wise this place isnt for you, you should go to a hostile forum, where your commets are welcome...

have you gone to a private school in the US? have you gone to public school in another country? have you gone to a private Armenian school in the US??? are you a teach of a private Armenian school in the US? i am not and so my experiences come from what i have actually done and what i am familiar with... i went to public schools all my life, and comparing my school in Armenia to the one here in the US, i can see a drastic difference... also comparing what my BF says about private schools (not armenian) in the US, to the public schools in the US, there is also a big difference...

AND! comparing what my little brother's hmwk was in the 1st and 2nd grade in LA to my hmwk in Armenia, THERE IS A BIG DRASTIC difference...

what is it that is difficult to understand??? the schools in other countries are MUCH better, the schools in the US are horrible, unless you go to a private school...

if you havent read the article in the first post by anony, please be my guest... try and take the test yourself...

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
                      i said private school in the US... and i have not attended private ARMENIAN school in the US, but i would assume that it is also a lot better then any public school in the US...

my bf has attended private school in the US, and it wasnt armenian... so his experiece is where i got that info from...

??? why is it so confusing to understand simple things... and why is it so difficult to have a conversation about a subject on this forum??? if you dont agree with me thats fine, but please provide your experience or your knowledge that counters it, other wise this place isnt for you, you should go to a hostile forum, where your commets are welcome...

have you gone to a private school in the US? have you gone to public school in another country? have you gone to a private Armenian school in the US??? are you a teach of a private Armenian school in the US? i am not and so my experiences come from what i have actually done and what i am familiar with... i went to public schools all my life, and comparing my school in Armenia to the one here in the US, i can see a drastic difference... also comparing what my BF says about private schools (not armenian) in the US, to the public schools in the US, there is also a big difference...

AND! comparing what my little brother's hmwk was in the 1st and 2nd grade in LA to my hmwk in Armenia, THERE IS A BIG DRASTIC difference...

what is it that is difficult to understand??? the schools in other countries are MUCH better, the schools in the US are horrible, unless you go to a private school...

if you havent read the article in the first post by anony, please be my guest... try and take the test yourself...

Nune, I think people's problem is that you're making these sweeping generalizations about all public schools being inferior to any private school based on two shreds of anecdotal "evidence". Two people's experiences don't conclusively demonstrate anything.

Give us somethign measurable to compare them on. Number of people admitted to universities, average SAT scores, number of higher ed degrees completed, number of graduates going on to earn doctoral degrees.... something.

Without evidence it's one person's preceptions based on their own experiences versus another's and their experiences.

If you don't want to provide any, that's fine as well, but don't insist that you're right and not expect anyone to challenge what you say either.
                      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X