Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Quarter Life Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Siggie
    Why is that mean? Is it not something they would do?

OMG!!! You get to wear a lab coat?! I'm sooo jealous. Hmph.
    Sometimes I wish I was neuro psych or bio psych so I could wear a lab coat, then I remember that I don't want to be slicing frozen mouse brains.
    Of course I do! Don't want to bring any DNA home on my clothes. Of course I am not so compliant in other aspects, none of the girls here are. We all wear skirts and flip flops or sandals. It's hot out! Of course, that would explain why I had liquid nitrogen on my foot yesterday, brrrr.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
      Of course I do! Don't want to bring any DNA home on my clothes. Of course I am not so compliant in other aspects, none of the girls here are. We all wear skirts and flip flops or sandals. It's hot out! Of course, that would explain why I had liquid nitrogen on my foot yesterday, brrrr.
      Well yeah... obvious, but I just never thought about it okay?!

Do you think people would think I'm even stranger if I wear one anyway?
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

When I lived in LA (1982-1987...ages ago!) a good many of my friends were either grad students from CalTech (as I briefly lived in a group house in Pasadena with a bunch of them) or worked at JPL. I still have some friends at JPL though I haven't kept up with them as much as I would like. I'm laughing thinking of the Geek contingent at Caltech (we used to joke about it back then...) - even then the undergrads were perhaps 50-60% asian with many form overseas (and all pretty much geeked out with no social life...). The grad student crown I hung with were a (wild) bunch of partiers and were out of place with much of the other students. There was a student activity fund of some sort that had built up huge surpluses as no one ever tapped it. it was supposed to be used to fund social events and parties to encourage a bit of life and interaction among the students. Well we regularly tapped into it to purchase kegs and food and were able to fund some rather elaborate parties and beach excursions (where we used to haul kegs down to the beach and bury them in the sand - with just the tap sticking out!) - it was great fun - don't know if the fund is still avaliable but one never knows - you could perhaps tap into it for an Armenian club get-together! We used to tap it pretty much weekly - and they loved the fact that it was getting used!

Also your comments about being so young and working with older folks hits home. Even though I am one of the "old guys" now (though still younger then many of my co-workers and such - but not like I used to be) - I can recall being in my mid-20s and managing a bunch of contracts and folks where several of my key employees were retired senior military folks and even a few ex-generals! (hey once a general - always a general!) - all of whom were at least twice my age! Funny - because some used to call me "professer" - I guess because of my academic demenor or such - don't know exactly. Initially some would question taking direction form a 20 something bearded "long hair" who had never been a soldier or did any (uniformed) special ops or what not but once you establish yourself it usually becomes a moot issue. Its funny though - sometimes these guys still joke about me as their young boss (the oldest guy working for me right now is about 70!) - and they find it funny that I come to work at a very professional (and often military) situation in much more casual dress then they are used to or that they themselves are dressed like. I do hate ties and dress shoes and such - what can I say. Funny though if I wear sandals it still seems to tick some of them off! They like to call me a hippy or sometimes a commie (which usually follows with me giving them a lecture that Christian right wingers [like them!] don't have the monopoly on patriotism or wanting the right things for our nation and such!)...anyway - yeah - I have much sympathy for those who are younger and in these types of positions. Sometimes I have had regrets - as I don't ussually have a great deal of social interaction with some of my co-workers - we just don't often have a lot in common - even now - but particularly when I was younger. And I sometimes felt I was missing out not working with people my age - form a social perspective...though now its funny because I tend to socialize more with the younger folks who I work with and still seem to have more in common (socially and with other interests - music, sports [playing sports that is!] and partying etc) with them them then folks my age and older - though of course activities of my kids and such and home life have become my primary driver (and time soak). I do think its important not to lose touch with the younger generation as one gets older. I hate to see folks my age and such who just seem done with any type of creative thought or passion about life.

I also know what its like to work ones butt off and not seem to have time for a social life - luckily I burned out on this pretty early as I compressed my schooling quite a bit and tended to work multiple jobs day and night. SO once I got into the professional work groove I made sure I had time for myself and for social stuff - and I've been lucky to get a good amount of leave time!...and I still will sometimes take extra leave beyond what I'm allocated - even without pay - when I can manage it - to travel and do stuff. My wife loves to travel - and has done a great deal with her job - and I love tagging along when I can (with kids and without). Anyway I really think its important to do more with one's life besides just work a 9-5 type of job. We have so much oppurtunity in this country for leisure and travel and education its a shame just to slave away just for a few extra $$$ - when we can likely live well on less. Too many get caught up in this "have to have the biggest home" and most expensive cars etc (well I do like my cars! ) - but I really think this having to have a huge home thing is pretty nuts - particualrly when you have what - one kid or two at best - whats the need for a 6 bedroom, 5 bath, 5,000 sq/ft house - etc - I just dont understand it - save money on having to buy furniture for 16 rooms and travel and enjoy yourself....I don't know - people are nuts sometime and tend to follow the trends and buy into what society tells them is good for them rather then figuring it out for themselves...well enough rant I guess...so yeah - go out and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
          When I lived in LA (1982-1987...ages ago!) a good many of my friends were either grad students from CalTech (as I briefly lived in a group house in Pasadena with a bunch of them) or worked at JPL. I still have some friends at JPL though I haven't kept up with them as much as I would like. I'm laughing thinking of the Geek contingent at Caltech (we used to joke about it back then...)
          I think this whole NIH crap is some bad karma coming to bite us in ths butt for coining the term 'gaggle of geeks.'
          The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Didn't I start a thread about this months ago? Anyway yes, the quater life sucks balls. Overworked, underpaid, at the bottom of the latter.

Ck is right about one thing. I'm definetly building boundaries. I find myself much more in people's face the last few years.

Comment

i guess this is the new crisis of our generation... WEIRD!

i am so tired of being tired!

anywho - back to work!

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
                i guess this is the new crisis of our generation... WEIRD!

i am so tired of being tired!

anywho - back to work!
                Life is what you make of it. There are always alternatives. you can't feel that you are locked in with no choices - just not the way to live....

Comment

Looks like we have more in common than we realized, Nune.

I just finished my first year of law school. I will be 24 when I take the Bar exam and I'll just have turned 25 when I find out if I can begin practicing law.

I do not want to be a 25 year old lawyer.

Help.

LOL

No really, I wanted desperately to take a year off after I graduated from college last year. But pressure from my family, and some other things (ie, scholarship!), convinced me to start law school immediately. Even now, I have had to sacrifice going out with friends, drinking, etc. I'm only 22! This is the time to do whatever the hell it is that I want. And it unnerves me to no end that I am on this course. I am seriously considering not working for a year after I pass the Bar. I might end up regretting not doing so later on in life.

Comment

Che Ka - sounds like you understand your situation pretty well. Don't lose focus that the reason for life is not just to work your a off. I think you'll do fine - but don't forget to take the time off - do it now - do it later - do it often...oh and congrats on finishing up law school (slightly in advance)...you may want to take a bit of time before the bar(s) - but shouldn't wait too too long...still being a lawyer is not chump change - its a good thing. But don't let others push you into working your life away (non stop) to the point that when you look up you realize that you've aged terribly and haven't done the things you wished. Live your life.

Comment

che-ka you wont not work... you will get out school and you will apply to places to work and the offers will look too good to pass... such is the life of the quarter life crisisers... OR you could learn your lesson now from me and NOT work for at least 6 months... actually come to think of it, when you do apply you can have that be a criteria... and dont be shy about setting up your criterias for them to follow...

sorry about the name thing BEJUG! lol! i dont know how that happened...

winoman - i think thats my other problem - i actually do fear looking up to myself and realizing that i've aged and i havent done the things i wished i could do... it feels like i am doing to myself - especially when i hear things like that... dont through your life away in some job... anywho i know thats not what you mean, but sometimes i feel that exact way...

Comment

Working...
                      X