Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes / comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: notes / comments

Originally posted by Anonymouse
    Alot of Ara Baliozian's writings would be classed as insults.

Obviously there are degrees of insults, the contexts and the subjective and perceptual effect which go into it.
    Yeah, that's true. I guess when you make insults, you should expect some to return to you.

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian
      Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The real god (if there is one) and our conception of him are two different beings that may not even be remotely connected with each other. I would go further and say that one may well be a contradiction of the other in so far as the unknown and unknowable may be said to be a contradiction of a figment of our imagination. When Nietzsche said, “god is dead,” he was referring to the figment rather than to the unknowable, about which no man is qualified to speak.
      I used that same argument against an athiest once (minus the Neiztsche quote that I've never came across before). I told him he focuses too much on counterarguing Judeo-Christian views about God with his supposed "proofs" against it's existance. He lost sight of the unknowable aspect of a god because he convinced himself that he can disprove it's existance "rationally".

After that talk, his new screen name became "What is rational" :P

If a human were capable of perceiving (G,g)od, we probably still wouldn't understand it. It could be the most absurd thing we've seen yet. Our rules, our language, our words! They probably cannot describe what we perceive. Our feelings, insincts, might be at a total incompatibility! Our logic and general thoughts may be overwhelmed!

That is why we're much better off with the human idea of the divine, with our simplistic system of faith or lack of faith, philosophy and rituals.
      Last edited by jgk3; 08-10-2006, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Thursday, August 10, 2006
        It never fails. Whenever I run out of things to say, one of my gentle readers takes it upon himself to inform me that, compared to our literary giants of the past (there follows a short list of familiar names), I am a hopeless mediocrity that will never amount to anything.
        Some poets are inspired by beautiful landscapes, sunsets, and faces. I am stimulated by ugly Armenians, and the uglier the Armenian the more intense and long-lasting the stimulation.
        Anyone who knows anything about literature also knows that debunking writers is an integral part of literary life. All writers from Plato to Sartre have been debunked not only by faceless and anonymous kibitzers but also by their peers. What has been the damage on their reputation? Nothing, nada, zero, vochinch!
        Consider Tolstoy’s ferocious demolition job on Shakespeare, Turgenev’s on Dostoevsky (and vice versa) Nabokov’s on Thomas Mann, Faulkner, and Sartre, Canetti’s on T.S. Eliot; and closer to home, Zarian’s on Charents, and Oshagan’s on Zarian. Solzhenitsyn himself has been referred to as a “hooligan,” a “nitwit,” and a “goddamn horse’s ass” – for more choice abusive terms, see David Remnick’s REPORTING: WRITINGS FROM THE NEW YORKER (New York, 2006).
        But all that is irrelevant, because my intention here is not to produce great literature but to be an honest and objective witness. I don’t ask for anyone’s admiration. As for trust, I am fully aware of the fact that I shall never have the trust of our commissars and all their crypto- and neo- variants, the very same species that betrayed, exiled, starved, and sometimes even tortured and shot the very same literary giants they now pretend to admire. Why should I be surprised if in their eyes I am the lowest form of animal life? I wear their venom as a badge of honor.
        #

Comment

Its all about you
          Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Friday, August 11, 2006
            Men have invented many strategies to avoid facing facts, especially when the facts are against them. When I was subservient, I called it respect for authority; and when they massacre, they say they are following orders.
            If you make it your business to expose crooks and liars, liars and crooks will conspire against you, and by the time they are through, you will be the liar, the crook, and the pervert.
            An honest man is a permanent insult to deceivers.
            Because we come from a long line of victims, we hate to lose the opportunity of victimizing others, even when they happen to be the weakest and most defenseless among us; and who could be weaker and more defenseless than a minor scribbler who is foolish enough not to learn from history by resigning himself to the fact that Armenians may praise dead writers but they don’t give a damn about living ones; they may even think a writer becomes a writer only after he is dead and buried -- preferably in the hands of a foreign butcher like Talaat or Stalin.
            Because czarist Russia persecuted its great writer it dug its own grave; and because Bolshevik Russia did the same, it was consigned to the dustbin of history. Writers are like canaries in a mine. We ignore their fate at our peril.
            Do you know what’s the most widely held view of Armenians by Armenians? Sure you do. But in case you have forgotten, allow me to remind you: “Mart bidi ch’ellank!” Freely translated: We will never acquire the status of human beings. Or, we may survive as Americans, Russians, perhaps even as Turks, but as Armenians we might as well be sub humans on our way to the devil.
            #

Comment

Saturday, August 12, 2006
              It has been said that the best way to get rid of a fellow is to tell him something for his own good.
              The goal of education is to make you a better person not a wealthier man. Tell that to our Levantine academics.
              An Armenian who doesn’t know what he is talking about will assume you know even less.
              My aim is not to be original or to advance new theories, but to paraphrase and emphasize views that were formulated long before I was born not only by odar writers but also our own. But since in the eyes of our anti-intellectual philistines literature is a worthless commodity, it follows writers are nobodies whose sole aim in life is to make nuisances of themselves.
              I look forward to the day when I will see the light and fall silent. In the meantime I console myself by wondering how many leopard spots did Shakespeare change?
              After writing an unreadable book one of our Levantine wheeler-dealers wanted to know all about copyright laws. He didn’t want anyone stealing from the fruits of his intellectual labor, he explained; and he didn’t believe me when I told him he had nothing to worry about on that score.
              #

Comment

Sunday, August 13, 2006
                DO YOU DISAGREE WITH ME?
                Nothing unusual in that. Our bosses, bishops, and their main supporters, our benevolent benefactors disagree with one another all the time. Why shouldn’t we?
                As a child I believed everything I was told by my elders. As a teenager I believed nothing. As an adult I see very little value in both belief and unbelief, or agreement and disagreement. Disagreement in itself is meaningless. What matters is whose disagreement, or what is the stage of development or arrested development of the person who disagrees. Is he a six-year old who cannot yet think for himself, a sixteen-year old rebel, or a sixty-year old who has not yet outgrown his Peter Pan stage?
                AM I BORING YOU?
                Nothing unusual in that either. Even my most favorite writers sometimes bore me stiff, but I go on reading them because if I were to skip a paragraph or page or chapter I may miss a line that may change my life. Call it one of the superstitions of the trade.
                I love Shakespeare. I have learned to recite entire soliloquies from RICHARD III and HAMLET by heart not because I was told to do so by a teacher but because rereading and reading these two plays is to me a perennial source of pleasure. This much said, however, I don’t mind admitting that I have not yet read his complete works and I don’t plan to do so in the near future. And consider Shakespeare’s counterpart in music, J.S. Bach. Everyone loves his Toccata and Fugue in D minor, but only organists know his Toccata and Fugue in F major, probably because the first is an accessible masterpiece and the second sounds like a boring academic exercise.
                ON BEING HUMAN
                We all make mistakes, except self-appointed Armenian pundits. Being wrong to them would be akin to the collapse of the papacy and the disintegration of Vatican’s moral authority.
                Do I make mistakes? Since I have made it my business to question the legitimacy of those in power and the nonsense in all dogmatic assertions, I am less vulnerable to that particular charge. But if it will make you feel better, I am willing to reiterate that the subtitle of everything I write could be “I Could Be Wrong.”
                I mentioned above lines that may change one’s life. Here is a sentence that may change if not your life than some of your fundamental assumptions on Asiatic barbarians versus their European counterparts. Speaking of 17th-century Europe, an American historian writes: “Rape and massacre became the soldiers’ recreation, and revenge was terrible when peasants with pitchforks found themselves in a position to exact it.” (James R. Gaines, EVENING IN THE PALACE OF REASON: BACH MEETS FRDERICK THE GREAT IN THE AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT [New York, 2005], page 20.)
                #

Monday, August 14, 2006
                Because the Armenian is a bundle of contradictions, Neshan Beshigtashlian once described him as an enigma that resists all solutions. If true, one of these contradictions must be that he thinks he is smart and behaves like a fool.
                Because I am for solidarity I have becomes an enemy; and because they divide the community they are patriotic activists.
                Because I expose the dangers of intolerance and tribalism I am accused of repeating myself, and because they keep preaching dogmas that are of use to no one but themselves, they expect us to believe they are defenders of the faith.
                Even as they commit suicide by the death of a thousand cuts they brag about their highly developed instinct of survival.
                What have they learned from the Genocide except to hate Turks? And because lying comes naturally to them they say they hate no one, they want only justice; and they love justice so much that anyone who disagrees with them is stigmatized as a pro-Turkish revisionist, that is to say, the lowest form of animal life.
                The virtue they value most is unquestioning obedience and loyalty, which is why they consider dogs superior to men.
                Because they can dish it out but can’t take it, they consider dialogue anti-Armenian.
                Some day the Pope of Rome and his Muslim counterpart in Mecca may engage in dialogue and reach a consensus of sorts, but I doubt if two Armenians who hold opposite views will ever concede that as human beings they could be wrong.
                On the day they teach themselves to say “I could be wrong,” I will be out of business.
                #
                Tuesday, August 15, 2006
                IN THE DEVIL’S KINGDOM
                In a book from J.S. Bach’s library an underlined passage reads: “If you try to help people they will express their gratitude with a kick, after which they will wipe their shoes on you. Before you try to change the world, try to understand that the world is not disposed to accept your suggestions or follow your directives.”
                What have I accomplished so far? How many minds have I changed? I cannot even identify myself with Sisyphus – he hoisted a rock, it seems all I have been doing is hoisting a feather. My defeats have been many; my victories few and most of them I now suspect may well have been figments of my imagination. The one or two real victories have left a bitter aftertaste. Were they worth the effort? What if the damage I caused was disproportionate to the injustice that was inflicted on me?
                I am not made for conflict and I find all conflict distasteful. But what I find even more distasteful, not to say repellent, is to say “Yes, sir” to fools who pretend to know better.
                Another passage underlined by Bach reads: “A fool is of no use to himself, and fools are everywhere. We have no choice but to live among them and to work for them. The world as we know it is the devil’s kingdom.” Further down: “If you expect things to go your way, prepare yourself for disappointment, sadness, and heartache.”
                What if, when in the Lord’s Prayer, we say “Thy kingdom come,” we express an awareness of the fact that the kingdom we live in today is not His but the Devil’s? And what if further down when we say “Do not lead us into temptation,” we go further and identify Him with the Devil?
                #
                Wednesday, August 16, 2006
                The Middle East is the cradle of civilization and judging by its recent history its ambition now is to be its grave.
                Beirut is the Paris of the Middle East but a Paris without its Enlightenment, which may suggest that its mindset belongs to the Dark Ages.
                Where philistines and fanatics are in charge, it’s always the Dark Ages.
                J.S. Bach had his share of critics and he took them seriously because he was financially dependent on the goodwill and generosity of his philistine employers.
                Armenians are guilty of “ethocide” (the murder of ethics), according to a Turkish writer, because they ignore Turkish victims. Turks by contrast cannot be said to be guilty of the same crime (ethocide) on the grounds that you cannot ignore something that doesn’t exist.
                To know only one side of the story is worse than not to know the story.
                Why read the plays of a phony like Shakespeare? It’s common knowledge that he did not write them. It was another fellow whose name also happened to be Shakespeare.
                #

Comment

"To know only one side of the story is worse than not to know the story."

That's a memorable quote...

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian
                    Why read the plays of a phony like Shakespeare? It’s common knowledge that he did not write them. It was another fellow whose name also happened to be Shakespeare.
                    Do you know all sides of this story?

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
                      Do you know all sides of this story?
                      Do I smell Bacon?
                      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                      X