Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

EU-Turkey: A Full Membership Or A "Privileged Partnership?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karakitap
    Well, since you seem like a person who is unable to show an intellectual ability or a clever argument, I don't have a willingness to discuss with you. Only turning around racist sterotypes which you created to feel yourself better...I stated your community's miserable situation clearly above. If you have a serious opposition to what I said then express it clearly. Otherwise I don't have a desire to ridicule your personal miserable situation anymore.
    It is precisely what I say that bothers you which is why you keep responding and I wouldn't be surprised if you respond again. It is precisely why you will never debate or discuss the facts, all the while whining at the supposed lack of intellectual ability of others to discuss. When people here have tried discussing with you, you have conveniently resorted to the same old nonsense of whining about "communitys miserable situation". Therefore, how can anyone engage in a discussion with someone who is bankrupt emotionally and morally, and in fact, lacking the intellectual candor he accuses other of lacking? To quote Thomas Brackett Reed: "They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge."
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      It is precisely what I say that bothers you which is why you keep responding and I wouldn't be surprised if you respond again. It is precisely why you will never debate or discuss the facts, all the while whining at the supposed lack of intellectual ability of others to discuss. When people here have tried discussing with you, you have conveniently resorted to the same old nonsense of whining about "communitys miserable situation". Therefore, how can anyone engage in a discussion with someone who is bankrupt emotionally and morally, and in fact, lacking the intellectual candor he accuses other of lacking? To quote Thomas Brackett Reed: "They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge."
      Anonymouse, I really don't have a desire to fool you anymore. The reason why I want to quit is simple, because you are boring. You are one of the typical ordinary member of your community who grow with Turkish hatred and you are parroting those garbage about Turks are evil, etc. which I discussed them with people in this forum who are more clever and intellectual than you already, and it is really boring to start with those garbage again with you. You have to show some shine, some brilliance to start again those xxxxs instead of swearing as "you are pigs,etc." Red Brigade was more promising than you, so please start either try to communicate, show some intellectual ability (at least preliminary), talk about some real facts, or don't start again that "Turks ar Asian, barbar, evil, bloodthursty,..." Otherwise, I have no desire with little rasict pimpled teens like you.

Comment

Anonymouse, I really don't have a desire to fool you anymore. The reason why I want to quit is simple, because you are boring. You are one of the typical ordinary member of your community who grow with Turkish hatred and you are parroting those garbage about Turks are evil, etc. which I discussed them with people in this forum who are more clever and intellectual than you already, and it is really boring to start with those garbage again with you. You have to show some shine, some brilliance to start again those xxxxs instead of swearing as "you are pigs,etc." Red Brigade was more promising than you, so please start either try to communicate, show some intellectual ability (at least preliminary), talk about some real facts, or don't start again that "Turks ar Asian, barbar, evil, bloodthursty,..." Otherwise, I have no desire with little rasict pimpled teens like you.
        This thread was about Turkey and the EU and yet you still havent even made a single comment about your country and the topic.Stay on topic when you post or depart.If you want to talk about Armenians and or whatever you want, go open your own thread about it and stop destroying every thread with irrelevant to the topic pish.

Comment

Anonymouse, I really don't have a desire to fool you anymore. The reason why I want to quit is simple, because you are boring.
          If I am boring then why do you keep coming back? You keep whining about how I am boring and racist and you are going to quit, yet you keep responding. Hypocrisy abounds.

You are one of the typical ordinary member of your community who grow with Turkish hatred and you are parroting those garbage about Turks are evil, etc. which I discussed them with people in this forum who are more clever and intellectual than you already, and it is really boring to start with those garbage again with you. You have to show some shine, some brilliance to start again those xxxxs instead of swearing as "you are pigs,etc." Red Brigade was more promising than you, so please start either try to communicate, show some intellectual ability (at least preliminary), talk about some real facts, or don't start again that "Turks ar Asian, barbar, evil, bloodthursty,..." Otherwise, I have no desire with little rasict pimpled teens like you.
          It seems you are guilty of the same thing you accuse Armenians of being. You accuse Armenians of being "obsessed with Turkish hatred", yet you yourself are victim of your same accusation as you are victim of your own paranoia of supposed Armenian hatred. When you cannot discuss the facts you can always fall back on your usual "Armenians are obssessed" or "Armenians are hateful". For someone who talks about intellectual abilities you sure display the least candor.

As far as your attempt at trying to insult me by referring to me as "rasict pimpled teens", that was amusing. I never knew you were capable of such intellectual might.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Karakitap, why are you so concerned with Armenians? You always ask people on this forum why they're so preoccupied with Turkish affairs, yet here you are on an Armenian message board.

Comment

pffff, whatever...

Comment

Gunduz Aktan: Realities and politics (1)

TDN
                Thursday, June 16, 2005

OPINIONS

Turkey's relations with the US have been disrupted. In addition, our EU
                membership is in jeopardy. It is in the face of these realities that
                the government is conducting its policies; however, it is refraining
                from revealing in all clarity these realities to the Turkish public.

Gunduz AKTAN Turkey's relations with the United States have
                been disrupted. In addition, our European Union membership is in
                jeopardy. It is in the face of these realities that the government
                is conducting its policies; however, it refrains from revealing
                in all clarity these realities to the Turkish public. Under the
                circumstances, we have to conclude that the government must be
                maintaining the old policies regarding the United States and the EU
                without any change. The result is that Turkey projects the image of a
                country conducting its foreign relations from a position of weakness,
                a country where the reality is too frightening -- and death like --
                to be admitted in public.

There is no chance anymore of our country becoming an EU member in
                the near future. Everybody -- except for a few Europeans who are wary
                of the possibility of Turkey distancing itself from Europe -- openly
                admits this fact. Meanwhile, there are those leftists-turned-liberal
                intellectuals in Turkey who seem to have concocted a certain brand of
                "ideology" by mixing their ignorance about foreign policy issues with
                an obsession for EU membership. If we were to act the way they wanted
                us to we might suffer additional losses on top of not being able to
                become an EU member.

Our chances of EU membership had dimmed a lot even before the
                referenda in France and the Netherlands. The conditions Papadopoulos,
                emboldened by his veto rights, put forth for a "solution" in Cyprus,
                the possibility of a Greek veto on the Aegean issues looming on the
                horizon, the possibility that Turkey's EU membership drive would be
                blocked by the outcome of the French referendum if Turkey "denied" the
                Armenian genocide claims, and the way the EU demanded that Turkey grant
                the Kurds and the Alawis collective minority rights was turned into one
                of the Copenhagen political criteria via the new Accession Partnership
                Agreement were all unacceptable from Turkey's standpoint, anyway.

The proposed EU constitution was defeated, and this has practically
                destroyed Turkey's chances for EU membership. The EU was an "elite"
                project and it was at the initiative of those elites that our drive
                for membership had progressed. However, in the referenda in France
                and the Netherlands, people voted against the "choices made by the
                elites," that is, against the "excessive" enlargement of the EU and
                "Turkish accession." In this new era, the peoples of the member
                countries will carry more weight than in the past. Furthermore, the
                CDU-CSU coalition that is expected to come to power in Germany and
                French presidential candidate Sarkozy declared their opposition to
                Turkish membership in the EU, turning this issue into an election
                platform even before these referendums were held.

Under the circumstances, there are three main possibilities. The
                government could act as if nothing has changed and the Turkey-EU
                talks would formally begin on Oct. 3. Germany would not object to
                that, but it would slow down the negotiating process to a great
                extent. The French efforts would be fruitful and the proposal to
                give Turkey "privileged partnership" as opposed to "full membership"
                would prevail as the goal of the negotiations. Alternatively, the
                talks would be held in the framework defined by the EU's Dec. 17,
                2004 conclusions, which enables the negotiating process to end in
                privileged partnership rather than full membership.

There is another path. Turkey could accept the proposed privileged
                partner status right from the start; however, the government may not
                be prepared to pay the political price that this would entail. The
                government may be unwilling to let itself be blamed unjustly for such
                a failure after striving so hard for EU full membership. Furthermore,
                Turkey may not gain from privileged partnership. The moment we say
                we accept the proposed privileged partnership, the contents of the
                "package" may all of a sudden evaporate.

Here's another alternative. Turkey could ask the EU to confirm its
                pledge it made towards Turkish full membership. If we cannot get a
                favorable reply, we can, of our own free will, call for a postponement
                of the accession process. For some time we would follow the in-house
                developments of the EU and the moment we decide that conditions are
                more favorable we can seek a resumption of the accession process. There
                may be various things to be gained from taking this path. Above all,
                we would no longer be pushed around. Being "unwanted" in the EU is
                not only humiliating but also a factor that arouses Turks against
                those countries that do not want us to join. In other words, due to
                our not being able to join the EU, our relations with the West in
                general and with the EU countries in particular could be disrupted
                in a way that would be hard to repair. Therefore, we can take a step
                to halt this deterioration.

The EU accession talks are quite different than "classic" diplomatic
                negotiations. If Turkey went ahead with "open-ended" accession
                talks with the EU, there could be a high price to be paid. Firstly,
                we would have to channel all our energy into the EU accession talks
                when we should be focusing on the resolution of the country's major
                problems. Turkey would be undertaking an economic burden -- which
                Turkey would not be able to meet if Turkey cannot become a full member
                -- if Turkey adopted the Acquis and began implementing the standards
                that this involves.

More importantly, we would have to solve a number of problems (first
                Cyprus and then the Aegean issues) according to the wishes of the
                Greek/Greek Cypriot side. It would be against Turkish interests
                especially if the Turkish Cypriots joined the EU -- in the absence
                of Turkish membership in the EU -- based on the Annan plan or some
                other arrangement. That would also be in violation of the 1960 Cyprus
                agreements. Once excessive concessions are made it would be impossible
                to take these back later.

-----------
                Copyright 2005, Turkish Daily News. This article is redistributed with
                permission for personal use of Groong readers. No part of this article
                may be reproduced, further distributed or archived without the prior
                permission of the publisher. Contact Turkish Daily News Online at
                http://www.TurkishDailyNews.com for details.
                -----------

What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Gunduz Aktan: Realities and politics (2)

TDN
                  Saturday, June 18, 2005

OPINIONS

The outcome of the referenda held in France and the Netherlands has
                  created a crisis atmosphere in the EU, plunging into jeopardy further
                  EU enlargement in general and Turkish membership in particular. For
                  this reason the rational policy for Ankara to pursue would be to seek
                  suspension of Turkey's accession process -- until conditions improve
                  and the process can be resumed -- rather than heading for an ambiguous
                  privileged partnership

Gunduz AKTAN

The outcome of the referenda held in France and the Netherlands has
                  created a crisis atmosphere in the EU, plunging into jeopardy further
                  EU enlargement in general and Turkish membership in particular. For
                  this reason the rational policy for Ankara to pursue would be to
                  seek suspension of Turkey's accession process -- until the conditions
                  improve and the process can be resumed -- rather than heading for an
                  ambiguous privileged partnership. Meanwhile, Turkey should refrain
                  from taking irreversible steps on issues such as Cyprus, the Aegean
                  and the Southeast.

In the days to come, while the EU will be preoccupied with finding a
                  way out of its own crisis, the CDU-CSU coalition, which will likely
                  come to power in Germany, can be expected to oppose, together with
                  France and the Netherlands, Turkish membership in the name of the
                  will of their people.

Already the French press is trying to "prove" that Turkey is not
                  ready for accession talks, using every opportunity to this effect
                  in an exaggerated manner. The way the police used force against
                  the demonstrators on Women's Day is still being criticized in
                  France. New issues are immediately added to the "repertoire" of
                  the French press, such as the opening of unlawful Koran courses, the
                  presidency and the headscarf issue and the resumption of clashes in the
                  Southeast. Germany, meanwhile, is discovering the "Armenian genocide."

Now, on top of all this, we hear an even more "profound" argument on
                  the need for saving Turkey from Turks. There are those who write in
                  serious-minded newspapers such as Le Monde that the AKP government
                  should not be permitted to control Turkey -- thanks to the liberties
                  EU membership would provide -- and replace the country's republican
                  regime.

In reality, there is another factor that could be all the more
                  important regarding Turkish membership: how the EU would overcome
                  the crisis: the proposed EU constitution, which is basically the
                  sum total of the founding treaties and includes a few modest steps
                  towards a federation. In addition, even that much has met with the
                  "nationalist" reaction of the peoples. In the referenda the people
                  rejected the elites' supra-national aspirations for the EU. Due also to
                  the effects of economic hardships and the radicalization of the Muslim
                  diaspora in the EU, the question of national identity rose to the
                  foreground. Under the circumstances, not only geographical enlargement
                  but the EU's political integration may have reached its limits.

Tomorrow's EU will take shape based on the "common denominator"
                  that is to emerge between Britain, which is against further political
                  integration, and the continental powers such as France, Germany, the
                  Netherlands and Austria, which are against further enlargement. In
                  other words, an EU incapable of further enlargement and integration
                  is appearing on the horizon.

For Turkey it may still be considered important to be a member of
                  that kind of EU in order to participate in the EU's decision-making
                  mechanisms. However, even for that, the member countries would have
                  to sharply alter their current stance and opt for the "enlargement
                  can take place if integration is not going to happen" kind of
                  attitude. Such a change is not impossible over time.

Liberal circles have especially made the basic mistake of forgetting
                  all about the fact that powerful EU circles harbor historical
                  prejudices against Turkey. They thought that if Turkey complied with
                  the Copenhagen criteria, that would suffice to make Turkey an EU
                  member. They even embraced the rhetoric that even if Turkey would not
                  be able to join the EU, the accession process would help modernize the
                  country. Yet the policy to be adopted when dealing with a prejudiced
                  interlocutor should be quite different from the one to be used when
                  dealing with a "normal" one. In the former case one has remember that
                  objections to Turkish membership stem from prejudice. As a result,
                  one has to pursue a much more confrontational policy. If one were
                  to be afraid of pursuing such a policy and opted for an "I will
                  do whatever you tell me" kind of stance, one would be bound to be
                  continually criticized in an exaggerated manner, be confronted with
                  extra demands and found to be inadequate in the end.

On the other hand, it is vitally important to know why exactly we want
                  EU membership. A country would bound to be rebuffed by EU members
                  if it sought EU membership with the fear that it would not be able
                  to stand on its feet without help from others, that it would not be
                  able to solve its problems through its inner dynamics, that the EU
                  would be the savior, and that any kind of sacrifice should be made
                  for EU membership. No one would admit an infantile population of 70
                  million into its ranks.

Therefore, a government desiring to make Turkey an EU member should
                  prove that Turkey has the will and the ability to solve its problems
                  without necessarily joining the EU. Although this seems paradoxical,
                  only an administration capable of proving that can ensure Turkey's
                  EU membership.

-----------
                  Copyright 2005, Turkish Daily News. This article is redistributed with
                  permission for personal use of Groong readers. No part of this article
                  may be reproduced, further distributed or archived without the prior
                  permission of the publisher. Contact Turkish Daily News Online at
                  http://www.TurkishDailyNews.com for details.
                  -----------

What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
                    Karakitap, why are you so concerned with Armenians? You always ask people on this forum why they're so preoccupied with Turkish affairs, yet here you are on an Armenian message board.
                    There's an excellent "French" saying - I believe that the origin is Arabic - that perfectly describes karakitap:
                    "The dogs bark, the caravan continues its journey."
                    ("Les chiens aboient, la caravane passe")

Let him bark, we'll continue our journey!

Comment

I agree, continue to live in your diasporan dreamworld and make us and all the world ridicule with your fantasies.

Comment

Working...
                      X