Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Would you marry a person who isn't Armenian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anonymouse This is my choice you culture less bastard. I don't impose my choices on anyone, this is my personal choice, what part of that don't you comprehend? There is no contradiction here. It is of my own volition. You keep dragging this issue of culture more than anyone since it bothers you so much that others choose to marry within their culture. What's your hang up with this?
    I have no issue with people marrying in their own culture. Nor do I have any issue with you marrying in your own culture. What I take issue with is the spirit of divisiveness that causes people to see each other in terms of ethnicity. You might find a girl who shares your political views, has read all of the books you have read, and who even buys into your esoteric religious leanings. She would have more in common with you than any Armenian you are ever likely to find, and still you would not even allow yourself to get close to her. Not only is that close-minded, but it's sad. You'd be denying yourself a wonderful opportunity because of lack of blood relation. You say that blood runs deeper than water, and I say that brainwaves run deeper than all.

Furthermore, it is the spirit of ethnocentricity evidenced by many of you here that leads to cultural wars and even genocides. It is a falsehood and a vice to divide people and choose who you will love, who you will hate, and who you will be indifferent toward based on ethnicity.

Comment

• Originally posted by fIReBuRntInHeLL There is no excuse for armenians to marry odars, unless the odar is willing to learn armenian and agrees that his/her children have to go armenian school. For the ones who think there is no big deal to marry non armenian then he/she better not consider him/herself armenian beccause i will get MAD. our ancestors sacrifced themselves, died to keep their narioanlity at any price, and still we have some morons who say they dont care! if you dont care then get out of armenian society and live like odar. Since we dont live in our country we owe to marry armenians, we owe to raise our children fanatic armenians until the end!!!!
      It is this very attitude that will cause the death of all of humanity, not just Armenians. You guys criticize the megolomania and jingoism of the United States, then you come back with this. Shame on you. This is the same way the English and the Irish feel, the same way the Arabs and the Jews feel, the same way Indians and Pakistanis feel, and this is why they kill each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nimrod Loseyourname needs to realize that that the ID of the culture vanishes and that is what essentially happens to the ethnicity. He needs to see the historical facts because this happened to many civilization just as "unique" as the Armenians e.g. Aztecs Mayas Incas and also the Assyrians whom still as of today are trying to find a culture to at least assimilate in and belong because they already are suffering the consequentials effects of their culture's pseudoness and lack of care to preseve. Hey you do not have to take my word for it just observe their history they technically cease to exist since they do not have their own land or soil or anything of theirs anymore, yet nations like England continue to pursue their goals and rise to the top while other places like France is soon to be overpopulated with non-French citizens which wil eventually result in an overthrow of the "French" ideals. Once a culture mixes they soon as the years progress, they forget and once they forget they no longer exist, hence Assyrians. The only ones that actually exist today as Assyrians are the mixes with either Armenian Persian Arab and even Italian or others. Therefore, I say to you all do what is RIGHT not what some mediocre minded unaware expects you to do out of his selfishness.
        Anakin needs to realize that all things must pass, especially distinct cultures based on nothing but blood relation between people that have little in common other than experience, geography, and physical traits.

Indeed, do what is right, and quit viewing yourself as "us" and everybody else as "them." We are all human and we are all individuals, distinct from one another because of that. We all have a lot to learn from each other, and it isn't going to happen so long as you insulate yourself and cling to this archaic tribalism that leads to ethnic bloodshed and genocides.

Comment

• You'll have to excuse me for being sappy here, but remember the spirit of John Lennon:

"Imagine there's no countries; it isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too. Imagine all the people living life in peace."

Comment

• [i][/SIZE]

So there is no excuse to marry odar! get over it! YOU ARE BORN ARMENIAN, YOU HAVE TO MARRY ARMENIAN, YOU HAVE TO LIVE LIKE ARMENIAN,YOU HAVE TO RAISE ARMENIAN CHILDREN LIKE ARMENIAN, AND finally you have to die like ARMENIAN, FOR ARMENIA AND BE PROUD TO BE ARMENIAN.!

CHEERS,
            AND WHOEVER DISAGREES
            $%^&.... [/B]
            Nicely said!

Comment

• Originally posted by loseyourname I have no issue with people marrying in their own culture. Nor do I have any issue with you marrying in your own culture. What I take issue with is the spirit of divisiveness that causes people to see each other in terms of ethnicity. You might find a girl who shares your political views, has read all of the books you have read, and who even buys into your esoteric religious leanings. She would have more in common with you than any Armenian you are ever likely to find, and still you would not even allow yourself to get close to her. Not only is that close-minded, but it's sad. You'd be denying yourself a wonderful opportunity because of lack of blood relation. You say that blood runs deeper than water, and I say that brainwaves run deeper than all.

Furthermore, it is the spirit of ethnocentricity evidenced by many of you here that leads to cultural wars and even genocides. It is a falsehood and a vice to divide people and choose who you will love, who you will hate, and who you will be indifferent toward based on ethnicity.
              Ethnocentricity? Well of course it can lead to wars and genocides, but that's politics, politics thrives off of mass mindedness. Armenians are a little people with a history that is not similar to most people, and in fact have always been for the most part the ones that suffered aggression. That is why they stick to themselves. This has nothing to do with ethnocentricity, and I assure you Armenians don't have a superiority complex nor think the world evolves around their culture. It is precisely the opposite, and what impels Armenians, for the most part, to mind themselves.

Loserwithnoname, you are dragging this issue longer than anyone else. We all stated our opinions and your incessant whining doesn't stop. Like I said, what is your hang up with this? Why does this bother you more than us? Do you like an Armenian girl who can't like you because you're not Armenian?

For the thousandth xxxxing time, I will not marry someone who is not Armenian, because I am culturally conscious of myself. If I wasn't it would be no problem, and many Armenians do marry non-Armenians. I happen to come from a very traditional family so ergo it is my choice to marry within. Now we all stated our opinions and it seems you're the only close and narrow minded idiot that can't fathom it.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

• Originally posted by loseyourname It is this very attitude that will cause the death of all of humanity, not just Armenians. You guys criticize the megolomania and jingoism of the United States, then you come back with this. Shame on you. This is the same way the English and the Irish feel, the same way the Arabs and the Jews feel, the same way Indians and Pakistanis feel, and this is why they kill each other.
                Her views do not reflect mine. But like I said, you can't understand my position nor any Armenians' position because you aren't Armenian, nor do you understand the history.

Second of all, if we take your proposal to its logical ends, and we all mix, that will again eventually create different cultures. No one stays uniform. No matter how you like it or not, mankind always finds a different way for each group to express themselves.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

• I know her views don't reflect yours. Like I said, I've been a little too hard on you and you probably don't deserve it. She, however, does, as does Nimrod as similarly minded people. I have no qualms with you about who you marry, Mousy. It makes no difference to me, nor does it make any difference to me who anybody else here marries. Thankfully, the Armenian girls I know and am friends with do not share the ethnocentric views espoused here by many.

I do not envision a utopian soceity devoid of culture, as I said. I have no problem with culture, and I embrace it. But I embrace intellectual culture, not ethnic culture. You do not have any shared history with anybody beyond your 21 years, and chances are you have more in common with me than you do with a girl like fire or TATA.

We have stated our opinions on who we will marry and as I said before, I don't care. That is not my issue. It is a personal decision that is none of my business. But, as you noted, the discussion has gone well beyond that, and furthermore, I was not the one to resurrect this thread.

Comment

• Intellectual culture is at some point a product of ethnic culture, in fact "culture" already implies that it is a product of that given society.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

• I enjoy French literature, Italian films, American sports, British music, and Socratic ideals. Do you suggest that this is a product of the inclusive melting pot that is cultureless southern California?

Comment

Working...
                      X