Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Indigenous Armenian Culture

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Indigenous Armenian Culture

I really need this question to be answered by an either FULL-ARMENIAN or ARMENIAN-AMERICAN. I have just recently started dating a caring gentleman who was born and raised in L.A. but whose parents are from Armenia. Even though I've never met his parents, I know that they are very religious and do not condone him getting into a serious relationship with a non-Armenian girl. In fact, he is not allowed to bring a girl of any nationality to his parents' home. I know for a fact that Armenians are extremely indigenous to their culture. They are usually against marriage between an Armenian and a non-Armenian. I was wondering why that is so? Especially, out here in in Los Angeles where so many cultures clash. Someone told me that Armenians can date anyone they want, but when it comes to getting into a serious relationship with possibility of marriage in the end, they back away because (apperantly) the Armenian girl's/boy's parents who love their nation to pieces taught them not to mix their culture with any other. I would really like to know why even nowadays it has to be that way. Cultural appreciation is one thing, but why take it to the pathological level? Is it really that hard to use your heart as your compass?

I haven't spoken to my special friend in almost a week. I'm afraid to call him because I suspect the reality of what I have just explained. I also feel discriminated against. I don't wanna feel that way, but right now that's exactly how I feel. Maybe I should also mention that my friend has once brought a girl (she was his girlfriend of 1 1/2 years) home to his parents. Needless to say, his parents were not delighted at all. In fact, his mom caused a scene.

Re: The Indigenous Armenian Culture

Marina, in small cultures such as Armenians, you will often find alot of what modernity calls "xenophobia". However, if you look at it within the perspective of Armenians, that is only natural. It is only natural for people to want to stick to their own, continue their bloodline, and their culture.

Aside from the fact that Armenians are a small people, historically their size and lands have gradually eroded. Historically they have always lost their wars, been persecuted and occupied and to top things off, nearly decimated by the Turkish state.

When you study Armenian history and culture, it would become more understandable why they are so 'to themselves'. It is not different from Jeews, or Asians or Indians or anyone else who has an ethnically conscious of themselves.

Now I understand in the United States, there has been somewhat of a melange between cultures and races, and Armenians have also been part of this changing fashion. Many Armenians have mixed and intermarried and this trend is growing.

I don't know what advice to give you so I am not going to pretend I am. Marriage or being with someone seriously is not a joke. Often people try to play it off as somehow 'if two people love each other why does the family care?', but that is not the way it is. You don't just marry that person, you marry their family and everyone else. That is the way it goes. It comes with the territory.
    Last edited by Anonymouse; 04-24-2006, 10:09 PM.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      Marina, in small cultures such as Armenians, you will often find alot of what modernity calls "xenophobia". However, if you look at it within the perspective of Armenians, that is only natural. It is only natural for people to want to stick to their own, continue their bloodline, and their culture.

Aside from the fact that Armenians are a small people, historically their size and lands have gradually eroded. Historically they have always lost their wars, been persecuted and occupied and to top things off, nearly decimated by the Turkish state.

When you study Armenian history and culture, it would become more understandable why they are so 'to themselves'. It is not different from Jeews, or Asians or Indians or anyone else who has an ethnically conscious of themselves.

Now I understand in the United States, there has been somewhat of a melange between cultures and races, and Armenians have also been part of this changing fashion. Many Armenians have mixed and intermarried and this trend is growing.

I don't know what advice to give you so I am not going to pretend I am. Marriage or being with someone seriously is not a joke. Often people try to play it off as somehow 'if two people love each other why does the family care?', but that is not the way it is. You don't just marry that person, you marry their family and everyone else. That is the way it goes. It comes with the territory.

Does that mean I have the right and duty to impregnate your sister with my holy armenoid spermoza?

Praise be Beavis, my lord and saviour, amen...

Comment

Anonymouse, thank you for your views on my problem. I still have the same unsolved problem, but thanks to you I know realize that when you marry the love of your life, you also marry their family. It will take a long time until I realize that Armenians will never accept a non-Armenian into their family.

Many things that you have pointed out about Armenians in your post I did already know. As I am half-russian I knew all about the turkish-armenian war and their fear of going extinct. However, I did not know or at least seemed to be oblivious to the fact that an Armenian man or woman for that matter, will always, honor his/her parents and live according to their wishes. Am I right? Even if that means denying the person he/she is in love with because their non-Armenian.

I'm not sure if you want to further discuss this, but maybe I should tell you how it all began with me and my special friend:
        We met about a year ago and started dating right away. At the time we were dating, I felt like I couldn't get into a relationship with him because I wasn't sure if I was gonna leave the country for a while and then come back. When I explained my situation to him, he was only little understanding. I tried to tell him that I really wanted to stay friends with him and keep in contact. It was hard for me to tell him all that because I didn't want to lose him as a friend. He said that in his mind, women and men can NEVER be friends. Later, he would change his mind and we continued seeing each other for a while on a platonic basis. Unfortunately, we lost touch again. Eventually, I ended up staying in L.A., but without him in my life. Months passed without any sign of him. Then just a couple of months ago he called me up, we went out and automatically started dating again. But only this time his friendship means more to me with each passing day. I'm longing to get into a serious relationship with him because he's a very caring young man and he knows how I like to be treated. I don't wanna face the fact that his parents don't even know that I exsist. Everytime we're together and someone from his family calls him on the cell phone, he tells them that his with "a friend". but when he gets a call from his friends, he doesn't mind speaking of me as "a lovely lady, special lady etc...

My friend was born and raised here. He has never even been to Armenia. He knows little about his parents country. He once told me that his mom would like him to date Armenian girls. He doesn't tell me much about his family and what they expect of him. And frankly, I'm too scared to start that topic. All I know is that when he once (and he really only did this once) brought his then non-armenian girlfriend of 1 1/2 years home to his parents, his mom caused a scene. I am speculating, but she probably forbat him to bring home another non-armenian girl. Currently, that's exactly the kind of unpleasant sitiation I am fearing and would like to avoid if I was ever to meet his parents. However, I am realistic, and think that I will probably never meet his parents. I don't even know if his parents know that we're currently dating or that I even exsist.

Comment

Don't date Armenoids.

Might as well get married to a Chechen...

That's the only advice I'll give.

Allright, rusky?

P.S. My imbecile dipxxxx for a an Uncle Harout married a Yezidi xxxxx called Marin'e. Got divorced in a few months.

Comment

listen you self-proclaimed parthiapride...First and foremost, I did NOT ask you for your advice. In fact, I was never gonna get into a serious discussion with you anyway. Maybe that's exactly why you are so pissed. I hope you'll soon find your man. Looks like right now you don't even have one. Don't worry crybaby, I hold no grudge against you. You shall live and be happy.

For the record, I am not attracted to Chechens. However, I am VERY attracted to Armenians. Sorry!

Comment

Last time I checked I'm a straight male.

But I have been accused...

I'm sorry. The ruskies back home not worthy of your affection? Too much dedovshina?

Dvai, dvai hresh!

What's wrong with Chechens? And how are they different than the average Armenoid scum dwelling in that xxxx hole called LA?

Comment

parthian, cut it out man she is just a girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Կարմիր Բ
                  parthian, cut it out man she is just a girl.
                  Shut up rusky.

Comment

Originally posted by parthiapride
                    Does that mean I have the right and duty to impregnate your sister with my holy armenoid spermoza?

Praise be Beavis, my lord and saviour, amen...

Comment

Working...
                    X