Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Originally posted by gmd View Post
    This was funny. I wish I could disagree. Aside from blaming our mothers don't you think the christian belief system plays a role in this problem?
    Not in the least bit! No matter how one looks at it, as long as it's done rationally and objectively, Christianity saved us from annihilation.

You mean to tell me non-Christians make better soldiers? The best warriors in world history have come from Christian societies. Last I checked battle-happy Russkies were also Christians... What about the Serbian Chetniks? What about the European Christians during the Crusaders? What about the excellent warriors of Napoleon? The Polish Hussars? The Austrian-Hungarian Empire? The Czarist Russian Empire? What's more, Nazi Germany was quite Lutheran throughout the Second World War. Blaming Christianity is both foolish and grossly inaccurate.

The problem we Armenians have today is the absence of a pan-national awareness within us, the lose of our Christian zeal and the lose of our warrior mentality. Our problem is cultural. This is because the warrior, spiritual and intellectual cream of our nation was gradually eradicated throughout the last one thousand years. There are four fundamental reasons why we are the way we are today: First, Byzantine incursions about a thousand years ago that eventually proved to be our first genocide. Second, six-eight hundred years of living as Ottoman/Persian/Russian/Soviet subjects. Third, the Armenian Genocide. And fourth, our Asiatic/Middle Eastern/Western upbringing. Generally speaking, as a result of our history, we are today the direct descendants of Turkified Christian peasants of Asia Minor and the Caucasus that somehow rediscovered their national heritage during the past 100-150 years. Blue blood no longer flows in our vains.

When Nazi Germany invaded Russia, every Russian man, women and child resisted. They did not seek to leave for more peaceful or prosperous lands, they resisted in the tens of millions. They suffered gargantuan losses as a result. But they won. That is respectable. That is honorable. That is patriotism. When Nazis lost the war, and Germany was utterly/completely devastated, instead of seeking greener pastures, millions of Germans instead rebuilt their cities, rebuilt their towns and villages, rebuilt their industry, rebuilt their lives - without complaining, without begging. As soon as Communism collapsed and left Armenia is a desperate economic situation a million Armenians (1/3 of the population) were already planning on abandoning their homeland. During the height of the Artsakh war, as relatively small numbers of Armenians in Armenia were volunteering to help the war effort - vast droves of men, women and children were waiting on Visa lines at the American embassy... And where were the big talking "proud" Armenians of the diaspora? Other than a handful of diasporans sending pocket change as aid, and a handful of daring men from the Middle East, what did the vast Armenian diaspora do? The answer is - nothing. Had it not been for the die hard mentality of Armenians in Artsakh and Russian support Armenians today would be lamenting over yet another genocide. During the First World War when small bands of Ottoman troops and Kurdish brigands were slaughtering Armenians left and right in Asia Minor the vast majority of Armenians were either fleeing or rolling over and dying. Realize that the brave Armenian fighters that resisted Turks at the time represented only a 'minuscule' segment of the Armenian population found within the Ottoman Empire. Bands of Armenian fighters at the time never numbered more than several hundred - at most. Had the Armenian "nation" stood up against the weak Ottoman government at the time there would not have been a genocide to cry over and we would most probably have had a nation ten times larger than it is today.

Nonetheless, we do see remnants of our heroic past at certain times, like the great Armenian war heroes during the Second World War and the heroic resistance our brethren in Artsakh expressed against the Turk ten-fifteen years ago. These are little reminders of what we once were and what we can be. I remain confident that we will be able to rekindle our ancient warrior/spiritual/intellectual spirit, but this will require a conscious effort on the part of our authorities and our parents.

Despite the often exaggerated tempers of Armenians in my experience most Armenians I have known are anti-gun, anti-military, and anti-doing anything outdoors.
    Very sad, but very true.

The biggest quest/goal in a 'traditional' Armenian man's life is to grow a belly, drive a Mercedes Benz (or BMW) and bring home an obedient virgin for his mother... I may be generalizing a bit here, but I am sick and tired of the Islamic/Asiatic behaviors many of us Armenians call national tradition.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm guessing you missed my post?

Comment

I questioned how Armenian Chistianity influences general Armenian attitudes. I was not interested in getting into a debate with you about the merits of the church in maintaining Armenian identity. I agree with you that there is still a fighting spirit within our people but I was trying to understand what gives many Armenians an almost docile attitude towards self preservation.
        I see Christianity (philosophically/spiritually) as an obstacle to nationalism in the long run. This may be a point of disagreement between myself and other nationalistic members of this forum. As I stated this is not something I wish to argue with you about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sero View Post
          Armenian, can you tell me if this is true?

I heard news today that Russia is planning to Invade the U.S.

If it is, can you tell me why?
          I think Red Dawn was one of the best comedies made that did not intend to be a comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sero View Post
            I'm guessing you missed my post?
            I thought it was a joke. Without knowing any details of what you are speaking about, allow me to tell you right here/right now that the Russian's aren't coming.

Originally posted by gmd View Post
            I see Christianity (philosophically/spiritually) as an obstacle to nationalism in the long run. This may be a point of disagreement between myself and other nationalistic members of this forum. As I stated this is not something I wish to argue with you about.
            I naturally disagree. You don't want to argue/debate this matter because your stance is simply based on a 'personal' experience or sentiment. IN other words its not objective or rational. Let's simply agree to disagree.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Remember this?
              Originally posted by Armenian View Post
              According to reliable information sometime during the last couple of days Armenian troops in Nagorno Karabagh carried out a successful military operation (I believe in Martakert) liberating a strategic hill from Azeri control. According to this information, there were Azeri deaths. This development has not yet been reported in the news.
              As some of you may recall, I had revealed from Yerevan on August 12 that one or two days prior to that date a successful military operation was carried out by Armenian forces against a strategic Azeri position in the Martakert region of Nagorno Karabagh. Here is the post: http://forum.armenianclub.com/showpo...postcount=2231

As you also know, for some reason, the military operation in question was not reported on by any of the news agencies.

Well, I met with a friend today that was recently in Armenia. While we were talking about the current political climate in the Caucasus he said to me that during the first few days of the Russian-Georgian war Armenian military units in Nagorno Karabagh attacked Azeri positions in the northern Mardakert region killing dozens of Azeri servicemen and liberated approximately 20,000 hectars of land. I had not told him that I already knew of the military operation he was referring to, although I had no idea that 20,000 hectars of land was liberated (note: I knew about the military operation through the mother of a young soldier actually involved in the operation). I said to him - this was not reported in the news, how do you know this information? He said he was made aware of this information through a high ranking military officer he knows through his wife in Yerevan. I asked him why did Yerevan/Stepanakert take such a major risk and why was it not reported by any of the news agencies.

He said, the military operation brought Armenian forces within easy striking distance of major gas/oil pipelines in Azerbaijan. He also said, the military operation was most likely carried with the knowledge and approval of Russian military officials and Baku chose not reveal this incident in any of their press releases because of the political sensitivity of the situation and because they knew Moscow was behind it. According to the military officer my friend had spoken to, this operation was carried out to finally convince Baku and Ankara that the situation on the ground in the Caucasus had been drastically altered and serious political changes would have to be made as a result. One of the changes, according to him, will be the expulsion of the US/EU interests from the Caucasus and the other would be the opening of borders between Armenia and Turkey. Apparently, Moscow has big plans for the Caucasus region and Armenia plays a key role in it.

I firmly believe now that this military operation did take place and a certain segment of Mardakert was liberated during the course of the Russo-Georgian war. As far as how many Azeris were killed (they are saying over a hundred) or how many square kilometers of land was liberated (they are saying 20,000 hectars of land) I am not yet a 100% sure. What's more, note my comments to the Stratfor report below. Apparently, Baku briefly flirted with the idea of attacking Nagorno Karabagh when Georgia first launched its invasion of South Ossetia and that was when Armenians struck in Mardakert! Was it a preemptive first strike by Armenia? Was the operation requested by Moscow as a warning to Baku? Whatever the case may have been, Baku remained silent. Also notice in the same report how close the region's oil/gas pipelines run to the north eastern section of Nagorno Karabagh.
              NKR Defense Minister - “Armed forces not preparing for any concessions”
              [ 29 December 2008 | 15:54 ] Karabakh |

Today NKR Minister of Defense Movses Hakobyan stated, during an end of year press conference wrap-up, that the country’s armed forces were able to meet all the primary challenges it set out to fulfill, namely the safety and security of the nation’s borders and population.

During his response to questions pertaining the Madrid Principles and the possible return of various territories, the Defense Minister declared that an end must be put to such rumors once and for all. “There is a actual state of affairs exisiting today. The armed forces of the NKR aren’t preparing to execute any so-called concessions. On the contrary, during the past year the territories in our possession have grown by some several thousand hectares.” He went on to say that concessions can only be implemented after decisions are reached by the political authorities and that they are not planning for any such move.

From http://today.hetq.am/en/karabakh/movses/
              Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                “There is a actual state of affairs exisiting today. The armed forces of the NKR aren’t preparing to execute any so-called concessions. On the contrary, during the past year the territories in our possession have grown by some several thousand hectares.”
                Federate, you - really-really-really - made my day. I feel blessed that I first found out about the development from the mouth of the mother of a young warrior that was actually involved in that battle within a day or two after it had occurred. Finally, it made the news. I hope you guys will begin to realize now that what is said and done in politics are two vastly different things. God bless our courageous men in Nagorno Karabagh, God bless Serzh Sarksian and God bless the Russian Federation for making all this possible. Please disseminate this old yet new news development.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Not in the least bit! No matter how one looks at it, as long as it's done rationally and objectively, Christianity saved us from annihilation.

You mean to tell me non-Christians make better soldiers? The best warriors in world history have come from Christian societies. Last I checked battle-happy Russkies were also Christians... What about the Serbian Chetniks? What about the European Christians during the Crusaders? What about the excellent warriors of Napoleon? The Polish Hussars? The Austrian-Hungarian Empire? The Czarist Russian Empire? What's more, Nazi Germany was quite Lutheran throughout the Second World War. Blaming Christianity is both foolish and grossly inaccurate.

The problem we Armenians have today is the absence of a pan-national awareness within us, the lose of our Christian zeal and the lose of our warrior mentality. Our problem is cultural. This is because the warrior, spiritual and intellectual cream of our nation was gradually eradicated throughout the last one thousand years. There are four fundamental reasons why we are the way we are today: First, Byzantine incursions about a thousand years ago that eventually proved to be our first genocide. Second, six-eight hundred years of living as Ottoman/Persian/Russian/Soviet subjects. Third, the Armenian Genocide. And fourth, our Asiatic/Middle Eastern/Western upbringing. Generally speaking, as a result of our history, we are today the direct descendants of Turkified Christian peasants of Asia Minor and the Caucasus that somehow rediscovered their national heritage during the past 100-150 years. Blue blood no longer flows in our vains.

When Nazi Germany invaded Russia, every Russian man, women and child resisted. They did not seek to leave for more peaceful or prosperous lands, they resisted in the tens of millions. They suffered gargantuan losses as a result. But they won. That is respectable. That is honorable. That is patriotism. When Nazis lost the war, and Germany was utterly/completely devastated, instead of seeking greener pastures, millions of Germans instead rebuilt their cities, rebuilt their towns and villages, rebuilt their industry, rebuilt their lives - without complaining, without begging. As soon as Communism collapsed and left Armenia is a desperate economic situation a million Armenians (1/3 of the population) were already planning on abandoning their homeland. During the height of the Artsakh war, as relatively small numbers of Armenians in Armenia were volunteering to help the war effort - vast droves of men, women and children were waiting on Visa lines at the American embassy... And where were the big talking "proud" Armenians of the diaspora? Other than a handful of diasporans sending pocket change as aid, and a handful of daring men from the Middle East, what did the vast Armenian diaspora do? The answer is - nothing. Had it not been for the die hard mentality of Armenians in Artsakh and Russian support Armenians today would be lamenting over yet another genocide. During the First World War when small bands of Ottoman troops and Kurdish brigands were slaughtering Armenians left and right in Asia Minor the vast majority of Armenians were either fleeing or rolling over and dying. Realize that the brave Armenian fighters that resisted Turks at the time represented only a 'minuscule' segment of the Armenian population found within the Ottoman Empire. Bands of Armenian fighters at the time never numbered more than several hundred - at most. Had the Armenian "nation" stood up against the weak Ottoman government at the time there would not have been a genocide to cry over and we would most probably have had a nation ten times larger than it is today.

Nonetheless, we do see remnants of our heroic past at certain times, like the great Armenian war heroes during the Second World War and the heroic resistance our brethren in Artsakh expressed against the Turk ten-fifteen years ago. These are little reminders of what we once were and what we can be. I remain confident that we will be able to rekindle our ancient warrior/spiritual/intellectual spirit, but this will require a conscious effort on the part of our authorities and our parents.

Very sad, but very true.

The biggest quest/goal in a 'traditional' Armenian man's life is to grow a belly, drive a Mercedes Benz (or BMW) and bring home an obedient virgin for his mother... I may be generalizing a bit here, but I am sick and tired of the Islamic/Asiatic behaviors many of us Armenians call national tradition.
                  The last point you made I agree with you one 100% but the first part I don't. You are talking about those empires but forgetting what came before them. Were any of those better than the Spartans, the Roman Legions the Persian immortals or the mighty Catapharcts of the east. No they weren't and they will never be. Because Christianity has one weakness, live and let live mentality the love your enemy. You are talking about empires but how many of their soldiers were true Christians I would say not many because when you start killing I think you lose all sense if there is a god or not.

Look at the Romans and what happened to them for one they were the greatest power of their time and have done more to this world than any other empire and it lived longer than most empires. But do you know what killed it, not the invading tribes but the people gone weak. That is what's happening in Hayastan our people are going weak.

My blood starts to boil when I hear anyone complain because some one is serving in the army, I can't understand why they aren't proud that their son, brother nephew is doing his part to protect Hayastan. Like I said our people are becoming weak, very weak. And we need to change that, we need to change the way we raise our children. I know a lot of Hayer here in Belgium. But how many have read about Hayastan, or are ready to go to the battle field one day. I wuld say very few.

But I'm also a member of a forum TWC(a gaming forum) were there are Americans and guess what many of them are serving in Afghanistan or Iraq. And many are planning to go serving because they are to young. We are nothing more than a shadow of our great ancestors who could use an bow and shoot an arrow 200m away and still hit the enemy. We were the greatest generals the Sasanaids had seen. And guess who was the first to defeat the Turks back in the fifth century. What has happened to our people were are those great generals gone too. Where are the Ashot yergadner, Vartan Mamigonianer, Adranikner@ droner@? Were are the hero's of our age?

I know we had great fighters in Artsakh but were are the great generals, the great warriors there are very few left who have survived the war.
                  And this is not only happening in Haystan but all over Europe.

Comment

Don't be fools,i agree partly,i got an armenian friend he get in army in his 18 he had his father friends in armenian embasy here in greece to give him a seat to come serve in military academy known as Evelpidwn,he have 2 more years then he will go permantly live in armenia as ranked officer in the army.
                    And then is me whene i where 17 i never been in Armenia after my 6 so as young i liked to go army serve,take my passport then come back in greece but,the catch is that i never could leave Armenia and if i do that i never will be able leave legaly in Greece even if i have finish the scool and have all the years all the papers and green cards.
                    So my mom is divorsed she paid she got me armenian passport so i could stay here and go in some colage or institute.
                    The point is that now im 20 if i go in armenia i will not go army but in jail,im broke have no finicial to bride.Carently im studing acounting.I hope that i will be given greek sitizenship then i will go army here and stay i hope as profesional soldier and hofule get in some academy for officers.
                    Armenian im deeply hurt,people have enormus problems that have to overcome,be more mature,i could not leave my family for a dream,i have to face the reality,if armenia needs me i will go thats a promise hell my mom will sent me even if i didnt wont to go,just i wont u to know if a man has no intention about war or army thing he will not go,

Whe where communist in the past with great privilages for a small country todays goverment and people is the same people that borned in communism,is up to new generetion to make Armenia strong dont u see its u its all of as in this forum WE ARE ARMENIA the new 1 with ideas with spirit to fight and not to submit,we are not borned in luxures we are not the spoiled kind.
                    How can u say that armenia is a mix of nations ?if somthing like that were hapend then in all these centures how in every map the name Armenia had its spot?u have somthing to say about ur grandfathers?
                    Cause i know my family tree i known who i am.Many armenians marige others nations people but the first thing most of them to do is to make there children fell as armenians,to love armenia,look in every diaspora we have churches and scools.
                    Last edited by UrMistake; 12-29-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Some 400 Latvians ask Russia's Abramovich to buy their country

Over 400 Lativans have signed a letter addressed to Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich asking him to buy their country, Latvia's novonews.lv website said on Monday. The letter, posted by an unknown person on the petitonline.com website, reads, "Dear Roman Abramovich. As you may already know our homeland Latvia went bankrupt and is currently holding talks with the International Monetary Fund on the sale of our country for 7.5 billion euros ($10.7 billion)." "I would like you to consider the possibility of purchasing Latvia: the population are hard working and pleasant, environmentally clean area and plenty of space to dock your yacht," the letter said. Latvia has experienced the worst economic decline in the European Union, with the country's GDP declining for a third quarter this year by 4.6% against the same period last year. Abramovich is ranked Russia's second richest man by Forbes magazine with an estimated $23 billion. His business interests include steel plants and coal companies in Russia and abroad. In the West, he is more famous as the owner of Chelsea soccer club. Earlier in the year some 2,000 Latvian residents, the country has a population of around 2.3 million, posted a petition on the internet asking the government of Sweden "to occupy" their country.

Source: http://en.rian.ru/world/20081229/119221445.html

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X