Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Caucasian Albania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caucasian Albania

Yes, very good, both of you! Though it may have not been obvious but my question in the beginning had a rhetorical side to it. Azeris CANNOT claim Albanian or Atropatenian heritage.

Sakhs were definitely a different entity, but that was 2600 years ago. In short, (my dumbed down explanation), 2500 years ago, they stopped calling themselves Sakh, and began to call themselves Armenian, just like all other originally non-Armenian tribes, because they ALL lived in a kingdom called Armenia.
    What you basically mean is that they got eventually assimilated with Armenians.

Also something I wanted to add, have anyone of you guys ever seen the seal of the city of Nakhichevan? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...akhchivan2.png

It seems Azeries also claim Ararat as theirs, it is already an offence to know our Ararat is on Turkish territory, and it gets worse when you see not only a symbol of our faith but a symbol of our people next to the crescent star and in territory stolen from us.
    Ashot, that's what I call a failed attempt to reproduce Ararat on their seal. So not only are they not creative enough to rename Nakhichevan which is in fact an Armenian name (Ichevan is a resting place for travellers), but they also claim Ararat as theirs! I thought that Muslims believe that Noah's Ark did not land on Ararat, but on Judi. Though I guess that Azeris are able to distort their religion as easily as they would change their culture, alphabet, homeland, history, wives, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo88 View Post
      Yes, very good, both of you! Though it may have not been obvious but my question in the beginning had a rhetorical side to it. Azeris CANNOT claim Albanian or Atropatenian heritage.

What you basically mean is that they got eventually assimilated with Armenians.
      Pretty much, but it happened even before the formation of Caucasian Albania.

Originally posted by Davo88 View Post
      Ashot, that's what I call a failed attempt to reproduce Ararat on their seal. So not only are they not creative enough to rename Nakhichevan which is in fact an Armenian name (Ichevan is a resting place for travellers), but they also claim Ararat as theirs! I thought that Muslims believe that Noah's Ark did not land on Ararat, but on Judi. Though I guess that Azeris are able to distort their religion as easily as they would change their culture, alphabet, homeland, history, wives, and so on.
      Don't forget that "nakh" means "first" or "previous" in Armenian. Nakh-Ichevan means "first resting place," a direct reference to Noah's first home. In fact, Armenian tradition, from Khorenatsi's history, claims that Noah built his new (first) village in Nakhichevan (if I'm not mistaken).

Comment

Originally posted by SevSpitak View Post
        Sakhs were Scythian tribes who had settled in the region during Urartu (but they were not part of Urartu), which was succeeded by the Satrapy of Armina (Armenia).
        It's my understanding that the Scythian tribes where to the North of Armenia, so it's likely that they interacted with Urartu. Ossetic like Tajikistani are the only know remnants of the Scytho-Sarmatian dialect. The Scythians (Alanic) ancestry is of intrest to me as. As according to Celtic mythology, Celtic noblity are said to be in part decended from the Scythian kings.

It's worth noting that in the Caucasus, haplogroup R1b is found in 43% of Ossetian males. Which I could well be the legacy of Celtic/Scytho interaction/conflict. As the Celts and Thracians expanded eastward eventually displacing the Scythians in the Balkans and Celtic culture was clearly influenced by the Scyths.

Comment

Originally posted by retro View Post
          It's my understanding that the Scythian tribes where to the North of Armenia, so it's likely that they interacted with Urartu.
          The Cimmerians, entering Asia Minor through the Caucasus while fleeing Scythians, played a role in the demise of Phrygia/Phrygian kingdoms, while Medians & Scythians worked together to destroy Urartu.

Scythians were the main concern in the North to the Urartians, while Assyria was their concern to the South. Yet, there were many occasions where Urartians and Scythians had good relations as well.

Comment

Many ethnic Armenian nationalists seem to be proud of their "pure" genetic stock. As if the collective memory and culture of ancient Armenians is genetically passed down rather than socially learned.

Azerbaijan like Turkey has followed the 20th paradigm where every emerging nation-state must have historical legitimacy. I do not doubt the current Armenian nation's historical bond with ancient Armenians. It is much less contrived than Turkish identity.

However, this does make the Armenian nation-state any more legitimate than Turkey or Azerbaijan. Does Israel have territorial rights to Palestine just because of historical claims?

History is already biased enough at the academic level. With political influence, historical interpretation is nothing but arbitrary.

Comment

Originally posted by egeli View Post
              Many ethnic Armenian nationalists seem to be proud of their "pure" genetic stock. As if the collective memory and culture of ancient Armenians is genetically passed down rather than socially learned.

Azerbaijan like Turkey has followed the 20th paradigm where every emerging nation-state must have historical legitimacy. I do not doubt the current Armenian nation's historical bond with ancient Armenians. It is much less contrived than Turkish identity.

However, this does make the Armenian nation-state any more legitimate than Turkey or Azerbaijan. Does Israel have territorial rights to Palestine just because of historical claims?

History is already biased enough at the academic level. With political influence, historical interpretation is nothing but arbitrary.
              Armenia doesn't have rights to Iranian Azerbaijan, nor Iraq, nor Beirut, nor Judea, nor Cappadocia, nor Baku even though those were part of Armenia once during its history, and ever since there have been Armenians living there.

But in a region where the heritage, culture, history, and up until 95 years ago, the majority of its population is/was Armenian, and its people were ethnically cleansed against their own will during the modern age, through means such as genocide, then Armenian does have territorial rights. Take a look at all maps prior to 1915.* They all indicate Armenia in/around Van, Mush, Erzurum, Erivan, Karabakh, Nakhichevan, etc. The only time in the entire history of humanity the region wasn't "Armenia/Urartu" was starting from 1915, a tiny 95 years in its 4100 year old history, due to an illegal ethnic cleansing. Yes Armenia does have the right for territorial claims.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rws5YxPc16Y

Comment

Originally posted by egeli View Post
                History is biased when there is no material to justify certain claims. Armenia has an AMPLE amount of material to justify its claims in Eastern Anatolia, and there is no bias required for this, even Turkish historians recognize the fact that they have built their republic on Greek & Armenian soil, and that up until 1915, those regions were inhabited by the indigenous people. Istanbul's majority population was Greek up until the population exchange after WWI, but this was a deal by the two governments, therefore, the government of Greece can only think of Constantinople as its past history. Eastern Anatolia was ~80% Armenian until 1915, and there was no deal with Armenians. Armenians were exiled and forced to leave behind everything they had built for 4100 years. You might find a few Seljuk/Ottoman/Turkish monuments in Eastern Anatolia, but go there for yourself, and look at its historical monuments. 99% are Armenian, and they are left to rot and perish. Except for the Akhtamar Cathedral, which was restored mostly due to European pressure, and honestly, half assed.

What you want is for us to simply forget about our entire history and move on. That's impossible. Imagine Bulgaria invades Turkey, and forcefully exiles you to the four corners of the world. Even in 100 years, will your children forget it? And your history in the region is ~800 years old. We're talking 4100.

These kind of things have happened many times in ancient history, but Turkey is among the only nation in the modern age to have done such a thing, and therefore, Armenians are among the rarest modern nations to have been through such a thing. And therefore, no one, especially biased/nationalist Turks, can truly understand what Eastern Anatolia/Western Armenia is for Armenians.
                Last edited by SevSpitak; 05-02-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Well said. Despite our "friendly" neighbours' attempts at being creative, nothing can erase the fact that our roots are in both Eastern and Western Armenia, and that theirs are in Central Asia.

SevSpitak that's a really nice video showing all those maps. Despite hundreds of years of foreign domination, those lands never really lost their true identity until the genocide happened. What is also impressive is that Armenia is never separated into Western and Eastern, or Ottoman and Persian/Russian, Armenia always stays 1.

Comment

Have any of the original Caucasian Albanians survived?
                    Probably some Caucasian Tatars (who after 1918 became the Azerbaijanis) have Caucasian Albanian ancestry

Comment

Perhaps it's true that some Tartars have Caucasian Albanian ancestry, but I believe some Armenians in Artsakh and Armenia do as well. However, to me, emphasizing their Albanian ancestry is like emphasizing that some of the Crusaders have Arab, Greek, or Turkish blood. It does not change the fact that Azerbaijan is an alien entity to the region compared to Armenia or Georgia.

Comment

Working...
                      X