Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!


2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.


- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.


8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

    Why doesnt armenia call on russias help when tavush is being attacked? What exactly has to happen before the defense agreement gets triggered?

    Comment


    • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

      Armenia MOD: Azerbaijan army suffered up to 7 casualties
      14:28, 29.12.2016
      Region:Armenia, Karabakh, Azerbaijan
      Theme: Politics


      YEREVAN. – At present, the situation is calm at the Armenia-Azerbaijan border, and the adversary has suffered up to seven military casualties.

      Artsrun Hovhannisyan, Spokesperson of the Republic of Armenia (RA) Minister of Defense, informed the above-said.

      “The Armed Forces of Armenia are carrying out search and clearance work,” he added. “There are no injured in the RA Armed Forces.”

      Azerbaijani troops had launched a diversionary infiltration attempt, on early Thursday morning, at the RA state border, southeast of Chinari village in Tavush Province.

      Artsrun Hovhannisyan had informed that the RA Armed Forces entered into a battle with the adversary.

      “Snipers’ and grenade launchers’ fires are shot, which continue,” he noted. “The RA Armed Forces fully control the situation by preventing the encroachment of the adversary.”

      The adversary was driven back, having suffered injuries and casualties, including in the Armenian military positions, informed the Ministry of Defense (MOD).

      “The RA Ministry of Defense possesses of irrefutable evidence of RA state border violation by the Azerbaijani side,” reads the MOD statement. “The military and political leadership of Azerbaijan bears the full accountability for the provocation that took place.”

      As a result of this infiltration attempt, however, the Armenian armed forces suffered three casualties: Senior Lieutenant Shavarsh Melikyan, and Privates Edgar Narayan and Erik Abovyan.

      Armenia News - NEWS.am
      https://news.am/eng/news/365680.html

      Comment


      • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

        Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
        Why doesnt armenia call on russias help when tavush is being attacked? What exactly has to happen before the defense agreement gets triggered?
        I wonder this as well. Tavush is Armenia proper, as recognized in our mutual defense treaties. An invasion by a third party to the treaty should trigger some sort of response. I believe it may be due to the scale of the incursion, and the lack of commotion. If the fighting were larger, CSTO may be more than justified in retaliating, but I don't think CSTO will go into a major war over one squad. I believe the Putin-Obama dynamic is at play here as well. Putin being a patient and methodical man would not want to give Obama a reason (which Obama is undoubtedly looking for) to escalate the situation with Russia, either by sanctions or military aid to Ukraine and other Russian enemies (which may include Azerbaijan if Russia were to engage in war with them)
        We will have to wait for Trump to be sworn in, and get a hold of US foreign policy before we see any substantial progress in Russian-American relations and their affect on Armenian affairs. It is entirely possible that under Trump's administration, Russia and Armenia will be more free to react to such incursions and even put pressure on Azerbaijan with little or no American meddling.

        Comment


        • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

          Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
          Why doesnt armenia call on russias help when tavush is being attacked? What exactly has to happen before the defense agreement gets triggered?
          An actual war/invasion and not an hour long skirmish? Let's be rational please. The CSTO is not going to draw war plans because Azerbaijan attacked the heavily militarized outskirts of a village.

          We should all collectively stop whining to the CSTO every time Azerbaijan launches a raid unless you're ready to send Armenians to die in Tajikistan. How low is everyone's faith in our soldiers? No foreigner is going to fight our wars against Azerbaijan, only we will.
          Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

          Comment


          • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

            Originally posted by Odysseus View Post
            I wonder this as well. Tavush is Armenia proper, as recognized in our mutual defense treaties. An invasion by a third party to the treaty should trigger some sort of response. I believe it may be due to the scale of the incursion, and the lack of commotion. If the fighting were larger, CSTO may be more than justified in retaliating, but I don't think CSTO will go into a major war over one squad. I believe the Putin-Obama dynamic is at play here as well. Putin being a patient and methodical man would not want to give Obama a reason (which Obama is undoubtedly looking for) to escalate the situation with Russia, either by sanctions or military aid to Ukraine and other Russian enemies (which may include Azerbaijan if Russia were to engage in war with them)
            We will have to wait for Trump to be sworn in, and get a hold of US foreign policy before we see any substantial progress in Russian-American relations and their affect on Armenian affairs. It is entirely possible that under Trump's administration, Russia and Armenia will be more free to react to such incursions and even put pressure on Azerbaijan with little or no American meddling.
            Good analysis. Just to add a caveat about this whole CSTO thing, for the CSTO to even consider a response Armenia most likely has to initiate a formal request. When Syria shot down a Turkish warplane, there was no automatic NATO response. Turkey had to request a NATO meeting (that ended fruitlessly.)
            Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

            Comment


            • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

              Originally posted by Federate View Post
              An actual war/invasion and not an hour long skirmish? Let's be rational please. The CSTO is not going to draw war plans because Azerbaijan attacked the heavily militarized outskirts of a village.

              We should all collectively stop whining to the CSTO every time Azerbaijan launches a raid unless you're ready to send Armenians to die in Tajikistan. How low is everyone's faith in our soldiers? No foreigner is going to fight our wars against Azerbaijan, only we will.
              So as long as its a small border clash no problem. I wonder if NATO has the same line of reasoning. Turkey was pretty keen on triggering article 5 when russian airplanes were going inside thier airspace a few hundred meters. Hell they are rasing hell because a non-nato country got invaded (ukraine)

              Comment


              • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

                October 2016, our soldiers detect and stop an Azeri raid killing at least 2.

                Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

                Comment


                • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

                  Originally posted by armnuke View Post
                  You forgot one very important aspect.
                  Not only does Armenia have no sea, two of out four bordering countries have shut their borders.
                  That contributes to unfavorable macro and micro economic climate and hampers growth potential.
                  I was commenting on the government growth expectations.

                  Clearly the government does not agree with you.

                  All I was asking was what are the drivers of that growth.

                  As for the border issues the economy should have adjusted to it by now, after all its an issue that has been running for 20 years.

                  If this issue was decisive the country would have collapsed by now, it hasn't.

                  My view is, corruption and incompitance are bigger dangers than current border limitations.

                  .
                  Last edited by londontsi; 12-29-2016, 04:49 AM.
                  Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                  Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                  Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

                  Comment


                  • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

                    Originally posted by londontsi View Post
                    I was commenting on the government growth expectations.

                    Clearly the government does not agree with you.

                    All I was asking was what are the drivers of that growth.

                    As for the border issues the economy should have adjusted to it by now, after all its an issue that has been running for 20 years.

                    If this issue was decisive the country would have collapsed by now, it hasn't.

                    My view is, corruption and incompitance are bigger dangers than current border limitations.

                    .

                    If it hasn't collapsed it doesn't mean automatically the opposite is going to happen.
                    Any investor, big or small, will study these issues and see the shortcomings and probably shy away from a country that's got more than half of its borders shut.
                    Corruption? yea sure. There is corruption, and it's not solely at government level, it's at the level of the ordinary people as well.
                    If I buy a kilo of bananas and the seller has tweaked his/her balance so that it shows heavier..well isn't that corruption?
                    There's a culture of corruption in Armenia at all levels and it's gonna take a lot to beat it because everybody wants to outsmart the other.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

                      Originally posted by armnuke View Post
                      If it hasn't collapsed it doesn't mean automatically the opposite is going to happen.
                      Any investor, big or small, will study these issues and see the shortcomings and probably shy away from a country that's got more than half of its borders shut.
                      Corruption? yea sure. There is corruption, and it's not solely at government level, it's at the level of the ordinary people as well.
                      If I buy a kilo of bananas and the seller has tweaked his/her balance so that it shows heavier..well isn't that corruption?
                      There's a culture of corruption in Armenia at all levels and it's gonna take a lot to beat it because everybody wants to outsmart the other.

                      Originally posted by londontsi View Post
                      I was commenting on the government growth expectations.

                      Clearly the government does not agree with you.

                      All I was asking was what are the drivers of that growth.....

                      .
                      Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X