Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Are Iranian-Armenians Iranian? What is Armenian Assimilation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are Iranian-Armenians Iranian? What is Armenian Assimilation?

and where do you see 'Iranian' in that graph?....

As I said, people must understand Persopolis's intentions as an Iranian nationalist to subject Armenians and our culture under the "Greater Iran" label.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

As I have said over and over, people must see Persopolis's intentions as an Iranian nationalist to subject Armenians, our culture, and history under the "Greater Iran" label.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
        No, Armenians living in Iran are not ethnic Persian or any other Iranic group. I am speaking of the majority here, not the few exceptions that have come about via mixed marriages.
        +1

my family tree that goes back to 400 years when my grandparents were exiled to iran and it does NOT have a single iranian in it. I can also say this to the 100s of family trees that i have seen, and not a single one of them contains an iranian in it.

Comment

persopolis for your information... in the 1600s, shah habas of iran exiled about a million Armenians to iran in order to have the Armenians teach the iranians morals, culture and many other things. He gave everything to the Armenians so they would live in a good life. But those Armenians wanted to go back to Armenia, were our church is. Sha habas didnt want it so he sent soldiers to bring the church of Echmiatsin to iran. when the Armenians found out about it, they sent a massage to the Armenians of Echmiatsin to make a picture of shahabas on the church(which still exists today). the iranians went to bring the church and saw the picture of their shaw on it so they didnt touch the church. Then the Armenians of Iran thought of ways to survive into those foreign lands. One of the ways was NOT to assimilate into the iranian society. and the way they did it was not to learn persian. The Armenian women never went to school in iran and barely went outside. Many other methods were created in order to survive the society. This is one of the very rare cases(if not the only) were a small group of people survived assimilation for more than 400 years(which is more than 1000 generations). Because of our morals and high traditions, Armenians were highly respected in the iranian society(higher than the iranians themselves). THIS IS THE REASON WHY MANY IRANIANS HAVE "IAN" ADDED TO THEIR LAST NAMES, Because if you have an "ian" in the end of your last name, you are also seen as a person of morals, so you are treated highly. This might be the reason why persopolis wants Armenians to be iranian so badly, because we are treated higher than he is

Comment

Originally posted by haysip View Post
            persopolis for your information... in the 1600s, shah habas of iran exiled about a million Armenians to iran in order to have the Armenians teach the iranians morals, culture and many other things. He gave everything to the Armenians so they would live in a good life. But those Armenians wanted to go back to Armenia, were our church is. Sha habas didnt want it so he sent soldiers to bring the church of Echmiatsin to iran. when the Armenians found out about it, they sent a massage to the Armenians of Echmiatsin to make a picture of shahabas on the church(which still exists today). the iranians went to bring the church and saw the picture of their shaw on it so they didnt touch the church. Then the Armenians of Iran thought of ways to survive into those foreign lands. One of the ways was NOT to assimilate into the iranian society. and the way they did it was not to learn persian. The Armenian women never went to school in iran and barely went outside. Many other methods were created in order to survive the society. This is one of the very rare cases(if not the only) were a small group of people survived assimilation for more than 400 years(which is more than 1000 generations). Because of our morals and high traditions, Armenians were highly respected in the iranian society(higher than the iranians themselves). THIS IS THE REASON WHY MANY IRANIANS HAVE "IAN" ADDED TO THEIR LAST NAMES, Because if you have an "ian" in the end of your last name, you are also seen as a person of morals, so you are treated highly. This might be the reason why persopolis wants Armenians to be iranian so badly, because we are treated higher than he is

Good post.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---

Comment

[QUOTE=Persopolis;312877]W

Do you even understand what you have posted? The source is a blog, the source tells nothing about the people that they have interrogated about the subject; the number of people they have used but from the looks of it it's 20. So you are basing everything on the opinion on a very bad research posted on a blog.

Well you don't like what anthropologists say. According to you, "he's one man just giving his opinion," and you're not?
              Where did I say that it seems you like pulling things out of your ass. Now give me the book that the anthropologist makes his statement in, or the paper that he has written?
              V

It is from the Caucasus Research Resource Centers, titled: "SOCIAL SCIENCE SNAPSHOTS, REMARKS, OBSERVATIONS, DATA FROM THE SOUTH CAUCASUS." Entire libraries are published online these days - including studies. But I am sure you knew that.

The funny thing is that you can not find any real studies done on this subject you just post the first thing that comes up when you type in Armenian Russian intermarriage. You know the research has been done on 20 people right? 20 out of 3 million.

When a nation of 3 million people has a minister assigned to monitor "threat of assimilation" and notes an "extensive number of mixed marriages" - I would suggest that you are telling yourself fairy tales.

RA Deputy Diaspora Minister Stepan Petrosyan stated: Latin America’s Armenian community is under the threat of assimilation. With extensive number of mixed marriages, 70% of Armenians are not involved in the life of local community.

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/socie...f_assimilation
              Do you even read what you post? He's talking about Armenians living outside of Armenia but you are babeling on and on in this thread about the dangers inside Armenia.

Yes, yes, yes ... you're starting to understand. Armenia decided to become a Soviet Republic, and as a result there are "Armenians" in Armenia that are only partially or not at all Armenian from the intermixing of a tiny population with other people from the Soviet Republics. Focus on how you suggested that people take on the "Armenian Identity" and that is supposedly the opposite of Assimilation -- it will take you a while to see the irony.
              Now give me the scientific(I know that word is very difficult for you to understand) proof that Armenians intermarried with different people from other Soviet Republics on mass. You know what Armenian assimilation is?
              It is the fact that Armenians lose their culture that has nothing to do with blood, only with culture.
              Read about intermarriage with Persians in post #1 and #15 and remember that started in antiquity proximate to the the time when "Armenians" started calling themselves "Armenians."
              Now start with posting that the general population intermarried with each other, because the Persian heartlands are much closer to Persopolis than they are to Armenia, in antiquity the Iranian people living close to the Armenian border were the Medes not the Persians. Or are you also going to say that the Medes are also Persians? You keep forgetting the fact that the Persians of today intermarried with people that the Armenians had no extensive contact with even in the high days of the Persian empire or are you going to deny that?

Comment

Originally posted by Persopolis
                Chi begam? Agar, mamanet tanesh-o foorookht, shabieh ye nafar digeh hasti. Agar Armani hasti, shabieh Irooni hasti. Az mamanet porsesh kone: "Maman, 'tokhmeh sag' o gozoshti to dahanet?" Javab to koon-e mamanet peyda mikoni.
                Internet tough guy hey? You are not Persian Persoopolis, you are not even in Iran. Aberoot raft badbaght.
                Last edited by Eddo211; 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM. Reason: Removed insultive response to Persopolis 's insult in Farsi
                B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
                  I had a hard-time understanding where the denial of the obvious stems from; then I dug deeper. I am not sure what I can say about child-rearing and societal attitudes that produces these kinds of results.

THE QUESTION I POSED:

The real question for me is where does the denial of identity come from? Stated differently: What was the catalyst for the political manipulation of beliefs about family ancestry, parentage, cultural origin, nationality, and tribal affiliation? Is it from the establishment differing religions?

THE ANSWER AS TO THE LOSS OF CONTACT WITH REALITY IS OBVIOUS:

* “[M]y parents would always tell me that we were Armenians—that we were nothing like Iranians. And then when we got back to our homeland, we were suddenly called Iranian. It was a big blow," she says.”

* "I had a customer with whom I worked for two years who said I spoke good Armenian for an Iranian. I said my name is Sevak, like Paruir Sevak's name, and asked how he could think I was an Iranian. Once, during the Nowruz period, someone came and congratulated me on the occasion. It was embarrassing for me, because it is very insulting for us," says Hovhannisian.

* ‘Having lived under a totally different system, we found ourselves in another reality, an alien and often unacceptable one," recalls Eduard Hakhverdian, now 58, [an Iranian-Armenian who moved to Armenia].”

* “ Armine Darsbidian, remembers that she had her first bitter experience in Armenia while attending a parents' meeting at school during which one of the parents said: ‘Take money from the Persian. She has come from the country of the Shah; she's rich.’ ”

* “The proud [Iranian-Armenian] repatriates were looked upon with suspicion by Soviet authorities and with a degree of contempt by the Armenians.”

* "Everything was strange for me. The language seemed to be the same, but was odd because so many Russian words were mixed in….”

* “Iranian-Armenians – say they are encountering difficulty in gaining acceptance in Yerevan.”

* “[T]he old ‘inferiority complex’ among locals that diaspora Armenians are “better educated and wealthier” still lingers.”

* “A professor once pointed her out to classmates as a representative of Muslim countries such as Iran, she said. ‘I was so hurt that I took out my cross and showed it to him.’ ”

* “Many Iranian Armenians say that, with time, they have learned to take their image as “foreigners” [in Armenia] in stride, but caution that much work remains to be done to encourage acceptance of diaspora Armenians resident in Armenia.”

http://www.eurasianet.org/node/62178
                  Last edited by Persopolis; Today at 05:23 PM.
                  I love the fact that you keep editing your posts instead of posting new ones.

And what do you want to prove with this article? Is there a reason why posted this?

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                    I love the fact that you keep editing your posts instead of posting new ones.
                    The answer as to why is noted in the quote of another member of this thread (below). My responses to any comments worth responding to will be at POSTS #1; and #15 through #18 and individuals that write off-point comments or repeat themselves generally will not get a response. (And if you have written a lot without reading the sources - or simply have repeated yourself; you won't get a response.) Wait about 20 minutes after the post to see the full version - thanks.

Reason for placement of posts.
                    V
                    Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                    Database Errors................................
                    Last edited by Persopolis; 04-15-2011, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
                      The answer as to why is noted in the quote of another member of this thread (below). My responses to any comments worth responding to will be at POSTS #1 & #15 through #18 and individuals that write off-point comments or repeat themselves generally will not get a response.

Reason for placement of posts.
                      V
                      There are no database errors so write as a normal person and make a new post for gods sake.

Comment

Working...
                      X