Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian-Turkish Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian-Turkish Relations

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
    The borders closed, there is already a mess going on in Istanbul and Antalia…and I don't want to even think about how the situation would be with borders open…
    This very complex topic requires serious debate and analysis. Sadly, overwhelming majority of concerned Armenians have not seriously thought out this matter. Usually the approach is primal/instinctive - sure, open the borders and let Armenia prosper... yeah, open the borders and allow money to pour into Armenia...

Says who?!?!?! When has it been that simple? What are these people basing their convictions on? Has anyone looked at the sociopolitical situation in Georgia? Has anyone looked at the sociopolitical situation in Azerbaijan? Has anyone looked at the sociopolitical situation in eastern Turkey? Based on the logic that open borders will benefit Armenia: Why the heck hasn't eastern Turkey benefited all these years? Why hasn't Georgia benefited? Why hasn't Nakhijevan/Azerbaijan benefited? What are our idiots thinking? Even if billions of USD were simply waiting to pour into Armenia from the Turkish border - does anyone in their right mind think that Ankara will allow it?

Concerning those who ask - "if Armenia faces the risk then why doesn't Turkey simply open the border and undermine the Armenian economy?"

In my opinion, besides the several fundamental reasons that I outlined in my previous post above, one of the most serious risks for Turkey is the risk of Ankara loosing control of the socioeconomic/political situation over the Kurdish populated areas of eastern Turkey. And the other main reason, Ankara is still hoping for the total collapse of the Armenian Republic. They are simply waiting it out. And this is not a far-fetched hope, for if Washington's plans for the region comes to fruition, that is if the Islamic regime in Iran is forcefully overthrown and Russia pushed out of the Caucasus completely, then Armenia will be at the total mercy of Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan.

And I don't have to explain the rest...

Nevertheless, seriously analysis of the geopolitical situation of the region will help one realize that opening borders with Turkey will not have significant longterm benefits for the Armenian Republic. On the contrary, opening of borders and normalization of relations will place the Armenian Republic under longterm geostrategic risks. At the same time, let's pray Russia continues its comeback and Iran maintains its sovereignty.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
      Incidentally, you can only thank the current administration in Yerevan and its closeness with the Russian Federation for Armenia's current economic growth.
      Armenia is a small country. It is landlocked. It has few natural resources. What it does have-- gold reserves, factories, ect...--the authorities have sold off to Russians, Indians and other foreigners. What you can thank the current administration in Yerevan is for selling the country. All the economic progress in Yerevan is the result of concerned diaspora Armenians who have invested in the country--don't make a fool of yourself by giving credit to the authorities. The man you like to brag so much about, the "Serg Sarkissian" character is a chronic gambelor who has gambled aways the peoples money at Monte Carlo, got himself thrown in jail, and then used more of the peoples money again to bail his sorry assss out. Have you even visited Armenia outside Yerevan? do you not notice the sorry state that factories that once thrived are in? broken windows, etc.. Why do the authorities not get the factories running again? do you have how many people they can employ?

Sorry Artsakh, but this comment of yours was a bit childish. Besides, with Turkey's economic blockade of Armenia we are "technically" at war with Turkey as well. And theoretically, Turkey can symbolically open the borders with Armenia and still support Azerbaijan militarily, politically and economically against us.

So, what's your point?

you are obviously no politician. When it comes to national interests, there are priorities. Today, the number one priority of the Armenian republic is to preserve the boundries of Karabakh and the surrouding liberated territories. Armenia can handle Azerbaijan by itself just fine. However, Turkey has also imposed a blockade on Armenia is support of Azerbaijan. As any blind idiot can see, they have not done this to help armenia out. If Turkey lifts the blockade and starts engaging in trade with Armenia (azerbaijans main adversary), this would be a diplomatic victory for Armenia and a diplomatic slap in the face for azerbaijan to loose the support of its number 1 ally. Turkey has, continues to, and will continue to support Azerbaijan militarily, politically and economically. However, the only difference with the open would be that the economic situation in Armenia would improve—thus, in a way, turkey could be said to be helping Armenia out, at a time when Armenia is technically at war with Azerbaijan.

What do you mean it doesn't have to be longterm? What are you talking about here, a candy shop opening and closing at the whim of the owner? Do things work in this manner in the real world? Do you have any idea what international economic trade entails? Do you have any idea what repercussions your proposal could have? Have you really given this topic any serious consideration? Besides, do you really think that Armenians are going to close the border when open border was "benefiting" them financially? Reality is, Armenian businessmen are going to seek further benefits in Turkey for themselves at the expense of Armenia's longterm national interests. Thus, the real danger of opening borders with them is precisely the prospects of having financial "benefits" from it.

You must be kidding, Artsakh. This is serious geopolitics, not make belief fantasy. I repeat again: The worst thing that can happen to Armenia's longterm prosperity and geostrategic interests is opening of borders and normalization of relations with Turkey.

The only living in a fantasy world, I’m afraid, is you. I am all for the propagation of anti-turkish attitudes. But if you want to engage is serious political discussion, then I’d sugguest you get serious, and stop your thick headed, one-sided, forceful points of view. I would much rather have Armenian businessmen making profits dealing with turks, which allows them to remain in Armenia, than Armenians fleeing to foreign shores and abandoning Armenia. Look at the single eye-browed brother of Serge Sarkissian. He is taking all the money out of Armenia. He is the owner of a 12 million US dollar property in California. Why isn’t this money being invested in Armenia. How can Armenia trust such men with swiss bank accounts to run the country?

Is obvious who’s living in the fantasy world; who could blame you, you weren’t born in Armenia and don’t have any family in Armenia. To you, its just a past time. In the meantime, we are talking about the livelihood of real people in Armenia.
      Last edited by Artsakh; 08-16-2007, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Well the Armenian government has taken off the recognize the Armenian genocide agenda off its agenda list in order to normalize relations with Turkey. However our relationship with Turkey will never be complete until an agreement is reached in the Nagorno-Karabakh agenda.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Artsakh, I'm sure the MIT and the CIA are looking for angry individuals like to to assassinate Serj Sarkissian or Robert Kocharyan. Can you do it for them please, especially since according to what you have said those two seem to be destroying our nation right in front of our eyes. And it should be quite easy for you since you were born there and have family connections there?

Nevertheless, did you know that the 'real' reason for the growth in the Armenian economy is primarily due to economic trade with the Russian Federation, that which runs in the hundreds of millions of US dollars annually? And not due to diasporans like you who go there to eat shishkabobs in night clubs...

Let's forget about Armenia for a moment, did you know that most of New York City's office buildings are owned by foreigners? Did you know that a large percentage of America's industry is foreign owned, and the same applies to many developed and developing nations. Did you know that one of the largest ports in America was going to be bought by Arabs? Do you realize that this is what global market economy is all about? Do you realize that it's better that Russians and/or Indians buy factories in Armenia than Turks, Israelis or Americans? Especially since there are no Armenians buying factories. Do you know that politicians can't run factories, they are not meant to run factories, nor should we want them running factories? Do you know that businessmen and technical experts (with accessible markets to sell the their products) are the ones that need to run factories? Do you realize that when a Russian buys a facility in Armenia it is Armenians that end up working in them, and not imported Russian labor?

Anyway, I have debated this issue with many of your kind, so I know it's hopeless. Your kind means well, but your kind does not know how the real world operates, nor does your kind have any form of objectivity or proper perspective when discussing similar topics. As a mater of fact, the rhetoric of your kind is identical to what CIA agents are currently propagating in the Armenian Republic as we speak. And I don't really see a difference between your kind and that "Armen Ghazaryan" character. So, don't expect me to shed any tears when your kind gets beaten bloody on the streets next year during the elections there.

Yet, one thing your kind always fails to answer is the following question: If your kind manages to finally assassinate the current leadership as you have wished in the past, or oust them in some CIA sponsored revolution, who or what will you replace them with?

Even an idiot would have realized by now that there are sinister forces waiting to take control of Yerevan once the current administration is weakened. And the rumors you are repeating about Sarkisian is on the same level as the rumor that he was selling Artsakh to the Azeris for 9 billion dollars. Without wasting anymore of my time with you, I will post the following commentary I had written about this topic not too long ago. And thanks to you we have turned this thread from Armenian-Turkish relations to "when and how are we going to have a revolution" in Armenia. Bravo again Artsakh, I knew you could do it.

Some of my comments about Kocharyan's administration and the current political situation in Yerevan:

How is the fatherland doing?

In reality, our Republic today is much better than it was fifteen years ago, it is much better than it was ten years ago, it is much better than it was five years ago, it is much better than it was a year ago. However, we obviously still have a very long way to go before we meet "western" standards.

Many people say that the assassinations of 1999 was a severe setback for the Armenian Republic and that had Vazgen Sarkisian and Garen Demirjian been alive today the sociopolitical situation would have been much better.

In my opinion, we have not lost anything today by not having Vazgen Sarkisian and Garen Demirjian in power. As a matter of fact, our political situation could have been worst had they been around. The reality of the matter is Vazgen Sarkisian was a bad politician and the stories about him stopping corruption was a fairytale, he was actually amongst the most corrupt individuals in the nation. According to Artsakh war veterans Vazgen Sarkisian also made many mistakes during the war that caused the deaths of many Armenians. I believe Vazgen Sarkisian meant well and he did some good, however, he was a not qualified to represent our nation. He essentially appealed to the low uneducated class within the Armenian Republic. And if the rumors that he was getting close to the US State Department and, as a result, Russia wanted to get rid of him was true, then it's good that he is out of the picture today.

Garen Demirjian was another one of the Soviet era's worthless bureaucrats. It was during Garen Demirjian's watch that the Azeri population within Armenia grew and prospered as Armenian regions such as Zangezur suffered from neglect. It was during Garen Demirjian's watch that the uneducated "Rabiz" sub-culture within Armenia became very prominent. And it was Garen Demirjian that tried very hard to stop Armenians from rising up and fighting for Artsakh during the early stages of the conflict.

The above two individuals won't be missed much within Armenian politics. Nevertheless, I need not say a single word about how dangerous Levon Ter Petrosian's administration was. The man in question was a criminal agent working for foreign powers and should have been tried for treason.

When observed within a proper 'balanced' perspective, the Armenian Republic today is on the right path. Armenia has successfully secured its borders by having a strong armed forces and close geostrategic relations with the Russian Federation and the Islamic Republic of Iran. Armenia has also been getting closer to the EU and China. During the past several years, the Armenian economy has been gradually growing within many vital sectors. And there is a new generation in Armenia now that is realizing that they need to get an education and "work" to make a living instead of expecting hand-outs from the government and/or the Diaspora. It is also no secret that Yerevan is growing fast and prospering. Most importantly, the Armenian Republic is politically and socially stable - unlike all the other nation within the region.

What Armenia has been able to accomplished today under such dire conditions, within such a bad region, is nothing short of a miracle. The reality is that Armenia today is better-off many most other former Soviet nations who don't even have a fraction of Armenia's problems. And as harsh as it sounds, the aforementioned 'general' perspective of our nation is what counts in the real world, not the opinions of the unemployed uneducated poor who constantly complain about the government not feeding them. Nations in transition will go through such growing pains, its natural. All nations have gone through such periods, including the finest nations in the West. Unfortunately, however, Armenia's destiny is not totally in her hands. Due to Armenia's geographic position, her prosperity, her future, is dependent upon the region's superpower politics.

What about Artsakhtsis in Armenia?

I hope none of you here are amongst the ignorant low-lives that bad mouth Artsakhtsis and their presence in Yerevan. The fact of the matter is, Artsakhtsis took control in Yerevan during the worst sociopolitical period in the Armenian Republic. No one gave them the power, they took it themselves because there was more-or-less a vacancy in the government. Had Armenians in Yerevan been a bit more ideologically driven and organized perhaps they would be in control today and not the Artsakhtsis. However, we saw what happened when Yerevantis were in control during the "Levon" years.

Now that we have had various high profile revolutions within the region, do we need a revolution in Armenia?

I always try to caution those who call for a revolution within Yerevan. Any change of the status-quo within Yerevan today can potentially be very detrimental for the wellbeing of the Armenian Republic. Let's all first realize that we have a real foreign threat in Yerevan today: US State Department financed NGOs and various American "news" organizations like "Armenianow" are working very hard to bring about a "pro-democracy" revolution in Armenia. Sadly, most Armenians are clueless about real world politics and, as a result, many fall victim to their manipulations. This is absolutely no time for a revolution in Armenia. Kocharyan's administration has many faults but it's the best we have under "our" unique circumstances. Having said that, I would also welcome Serge Sarkisian's presidency.

I'm satisfied with the fact that officials in Yerevan today have managed to foster close ties with Russia and Iran at the same time keeping good relations with EU and the United States. I'm also glad that official Yerevan is not kissing Turkish ass. Under the leadership of Kocharyan and Sarkisian, the borders of the Armenian Republic are secure, Armenian society is stable and the Armenian economy keeps growing from year to year. The aforementioned are the fundamental things that I expect a government to provide it people. As far as corruption is concerned, it won't disappear anytime soon because it is deeply embedded within our people's psychology and the socioeconomic conditions of the region also foster such behavior. We need at least a couple of generations to negate the corruption level in Armenia.

And I don't care if Serge Sarkisyan has castles built upon the Moon, or Mars for that matter as long as he is doing his job as Defense Minister/Foreign Minister or President. I suggest some of you here to look at how other politicians around the world live and stop acting like ignorant peasants. As bad as corruption may it is nothing new nor is it exclusive to former Soviet states. As a matter of fact, the word itself is being used as a propaganda tool by Western governments to poison the minds of the citizenry. We constantly get chastised over corruption by the US officials. However, when will we be hearing about the legendary corruption that is being performed by US officials worldwide?

Nonetheless, under Kocharyan/Sarkisian's rule the Armenian Republic has attained the following:

Armenia today is one of the safest countries in the world

Armenian society and politics are quite stable, unlike most others within the region in question

Armenia has secure borders due to its strong military infrastructure and its strategic political alliances

Armenian economy is growing fast and Yerevan is blossoming

More and more Diasporan Armenians are feeling welcome in Armenia today

Gradually, corruption in Armenia is decreasing

I would like to emphasize again that this is absolutely no time for any kind of "revolution" within the Armenian Republic. Revolution in Yerevan is what US State Department officials wants, that is what Ankara wants, that is what Baku wants and that is what Tblisi wants. In short, change of government in Armenia is what our enemies want. As a result, I will not shed a single tear if all the "revolution" seekers within the Armenian Republic get beaten to a bloody pulp in the streets. And to hell with "Democracy." There has never been true "Democracy" in the world, especially in the United States. Such philosophical rhetoric is relative to interpretation and implementation. Democracy today is used by globalists as a pretext to invade and exploit vulnerable nations.

Democracy today is what "Christianity" used to be in the West several hundred years ago - simply excuse to impose your rule over smaller nations and exploit their resources. The United States, as with all other so-called democratic nations on earth, is a democracy only in name. At best, certain aspects of democracy is upheld to a certain point/extent. Nevertheless, democracy per say is an intangible concept that is only spoken about in lofty terms but never truly seen or felt.

Politicians who preach democracy today are essentially representatives of corporate conglomerations/federations that serve the interests of the elite. When an individual/politician tires to cross some ideological/political/economic/social boundaries, when one deliberately steps on the foot of the elite, the facade of democracy will come crashing down upon his head. Democracy today in the Western world is what Christianity was in the west world for the past two thousand years - something to believe in, pay allegiance to, and when it suites the elite - to fight and die for.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Turkey has got young people! Population is Min %78 ...0-60 years old! You can not accuse youngs for genocide! Because we not lived in 1915! I borned in 1989! My father borned 1972 and his father borned 1941!!! many many generations passed!!! Today 1915's people is very few! If they are alive,They maybe minimum 92 years old!!!!! If genocide happens,Youngs not responsible about it!! I am not responsible!!!!!!!! No one accuse me "tht you killed armenian" Also I dont know how armenian people is! and culture!!

Comment

Those "geghatsiner" that are still hoping for a regime change in Yerevan should take into serious consideration the Russian factor in all this.

Regardless of one's personal sentiments regarding the ruling administration in Yerevan, the reality of the matter is that the Russian factor will make or break the geopolitical situation there. The Russian factor will also make or break the entire region of the Caucasus. This has nothing to do with Armenia being a subject nation of Russia, nor does it have anything to do with Armenia not being truly independent. Sadly, when you have a tiny impoverished landlocked fledgling nation surrounded by enemies you need to have a major power protecting you. And let's all thank God that Russian interests in the region have thus far coincided with Armenian national interests. Therefore, while the peasants within our population are primarily concerning themselves about how much money our officials are embezzling, or how full their stomachs are, others are trying to a deter a geopolitical disaster from befalling the Armenian nation.

The fact remains, hungry people, or people who can't see past their personal desires, have never been able to make successful longterm strategic decisions. In light of the current political situation in the Caucasus, the Armenian nation has no other option but to stay close to Moscow and Tehran, the Armenian nation has no option but to keep the current ruling administration in power. The following articles may help people better understand what is going on in Armenian politics.

Armenian

Fighting for Armenia

In all civilized countries people see elections as an opportunity to improve their lives, to build a stronger state and improve security. Similar attitudes prevail in Armenia today because the outcome of the forthcoming parliamentary elections will largely determine changes in government and society, prospects for settling the Karabakh crisis, and success of the efforts to overcome the consequences of the Armenian genocide. These are major regional and international issues. But ordinary Armenians have more faith in real power than promises. It is no accident that the public preferences are with the parties of power - the Republicans and the newly-established Prosperous Armenia Party (PAP). The opposition parties are obviously weak. The PAP was set up with the support of the current administration and is headed by local oligarch Gagik Tsarukian. In the forthcoming presidential elections, he is unlikely to put up a serious fight against the only favorite Serzh Sarkisian. Even the name of Prosperous Armenia sounds more like a declaration. In effect, its leader is a man whose business has prospered largely due to the benevolent attitude of the current authorities.

The Armenian Revolutionary Federation deserves special mention. This party has made a great contribution to the success of the Karabakh movement; it is widely respected by the numerous Armenians who live outside the CIS, and has been trying to restore its positions in Russia and other former Soviet republics. It looks like this party will receive about 10% of the votes and have a voice in parliament. It will probably support the Republican presidential nominee Serzh Sarkisian, and a Russia-oriented strategy. The prospects of Russian-Armenian strategic partnership are rather bleak since the modern geopolitical alignment of forces in the Caucasus does not favor Armenia and Russia. The U.S., Europe and Turkey are confidently paving the way for NATO into Central Asia through Georgia and Azerbaijan. The West has been closely watching the Caspian oil-and-gas projects and construction of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum pipelines, railways and highways bypassing Armenia, and may decide to stage a major geopolitical experiment in the region.

The United States and its allies want to stay in the region in the long term not only because the Caspian is rich in energy and Central Asia in strategic raw materials but also to gain control of the most important territories and communications, exert pressure on the oil-bearing Iran and eradicate Russia's traditional influence there. Regrettably, Orthodox Georgia is turning into a vehicle of implementing Western strategy and geopolitics in the Caucasus and Central Asia. Hence, fighting for Armenia will determine who controls the South Caucasus, and can exert certain influence on Asia Minor. For this reason, the West and Russia are equally interested in Robert Kocharian's successor. For us the best choice will be Serzh Sarkisian, defense minister and secretary of the Armenian Security Council. As a government official, he has climbed the career ladder starting from the bottom, and held key positions in security-related bodies of Nagorny Karabakh and Armenia. He knows the domestic situation well and has built a good working relationship with his Russian colleagues. All these factors should contribute to the consolidation of strategic partnership. There is no united opposition in Armenia, which does not mean that the presidential elections will be uneventful. The Western favorite is Vardan Oskanian, who has been Armenia's foreign minister during all these years.

[...]

Source: http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20070404/63081977.html

Russia Takes Sides in Armenian Elections

Campaigning for elections to the national assembly officially started yesterday in Armenia. The elections will be on May 12. They are considered a practice run for next year's presidential race. Armenian authorities have begun early with a hard push for the ruling Republican Party, headed by Prime Minister Serge Sarkasyan. Russian officials have also thrown their weight behind the party. There are 1314 candidates from 24 parties and blocs competing for 131 seats in the Armenian parliament. The surge of enthusiasm is due to the fact that Armenian President Robert Kocharyan's term ends next year, and everyone in the parliament will then have a shot at the presidency.

[...]

Source: www.kommersant.com

Russia Signals Opposition To Regime Change In Armenia

Russia signaled on Tuesday its opposition to regime change in Yerevan, with Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov pointedly declining to deny speculation that Moscow supports Defense Minister Serzh Sarkisian’s apparent plans to become Armenia’s next president. Lavrov, in Yerevan on a two-day official visit, stressed the need for continuity in policies pursued by the current Armenian leadership. During a joint news conference with Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian he was asked to comment on growing assertions by Russian media and prominent analysts that the widely anticipated handover of power from President Robert Kocharian to Sarkisian suits the Kremlin.

“The official position of Russia coincides with the unofficial position of Russia,” Lavrov replied. “We are sincerely interested in seeing Armenia stable and prosperous and seeing it continue to move down the path of reforms. As far as we can see, the results [of those reforms] are already felt in the socioeconomic sphere.” “So we wish Armenia success in this endeavor,” he added. “We want the next phase of the constitutional process to lead to the creation of conditions for a continued movement in that direction.”

Kocharian is thought to have enjoyed Russian backing throughout his nearly decade-long presidency. Both he and Sarkisian stand for Armenia’s continued military alliance with Russia, while seeking closer security ties with the West. The Kocharian administration has also helped to significantly boosted Russia’s economic presence in the country in recent years. The Russian minister’s visit to Armenia was officially dedicated to the 15th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two former Soviet republics. The unresolved Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was high on the agenda of his talks with Oskanian. Russia co-heads the Minsk Group of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe together with the United States and France.

[...]

Source: http://www.jamestown.org/edm/article...cle_id=2372102

One of Russia’s priorities – relations with Armenia - Lavrov

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday relations with Armenia is one of Russia’s priorities. “We believe that stability in the Caucasus depends in many respects on Armenia’s situation,” he told a meeting with students and professors of the Yerevan State University. “It is possible to ensure such stability not by means of creating a certain bloc, but by means of joint efforts,” he said. “Within the framework of the Collective Security Treaty Organization we do not try to fence off ourselves from others or work against anyone,” he said. The Collective Security Treaty Organization is “aimed at stability, counteraction to terrorism and drugs trafficking and open cooperation with the countries interested in resolving these tasks,” Lavrov said. He pointed out that Russia is interested in calm on its borders, stable development of neighbouring countries and “mutually advantageous and equal cooperation with them proceeding from the interests of our economies and our countries.”

Source: http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2....2515&PageNum=0

Will Armenia turn orange?

This year will be one of the most important in Armenia's post-Soviet independent history. With the parliamentary election set for May 2007 and the presidential election for March 2008, this South Caucasian republic is in for 12 months of intense election battles. The winner of the presidential race could be determined by the parliamentary election. Under the 2005 constitution, the party that wins control of parliament will nominate the prime minister and the speaker, and will have an opportunity to fight for the presidency in 2008. Presidential elections in all former Soviet republics carry the risk of political upheavals. There has not been a change of power at all in some of them, including Kazakhstan and other Central Asian republics. But elections in Ukraine and Georgia were accompanied by upheavals later called "orange" or "color" revolutions, with public clashes, turbulent demonstrations, and a transfer of power to a new, less legitimate government.

[...]

A change in Armenia's policy, or a political destabilization of the republic, could undermine Russia's influence in the region, which largely depends on its alliance with Armenia. Therefore, Russia needs Armenia to remain stable and stick to the same policies after the parliamentary and presidential elections. It will also benefit if the forces wishing to strengthen the alliance with Russia remain at the country's helm.

Source: http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20070411/63489426.html

MOSCOW SIGNALS SUPPORT FOR ARMENIAN POWER HANDOVER

With less than a month to go before Armenia’s crucial parliamentary elections, Russia has signaled its support for an anticipated handover of power from Armenian President Robert Kocharian to newly appointed Prime Minister Serge Sarkisian. In a series of early April visits to Yerevan, senior Russian officials indicated Moscow’s strong opposition to regime change in the loyal South Caucasus state. The Russians also plan to send a record-high number of election observers, in an apparent bid to counter and/or water down Western criticism of the Armenian authorities’ handling of the May 12 vote.

[...]

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov effectively confirmed this as he visited Yerevan on April 3. “The official position of Russia coincides with the unofficial position of Russia,” he told journalists. Lavrov stressed the need for continuity in the Kocharian administration’s policies, which he said have proved beneficial for Armenia. Russia wants to see a “continued movement in that direction,” he said. “Russia, which traditionally plays an important role in internal political processes in Armenia, has made it clear who it has sided with,” the Moscow daily Kommersant wrote on April 9.

[...]

The administration of President Vladimir Putin has little reason to be unhappy with Armenia’s two most powerful men. After all, they were instrumental in the signing in recent years of highly controversial agreements that have given Moscow a near total control over the Armenian energy sector. Sarkisian has personally negotiated those deals in his capacity as co-chairman of a Russian-Armenian inter-governmental commission on economic cooperation. He and Kocharian have also bolstered the Russian presence in other sectors of the Armenian economy such as telecommunication. In addition, membership in the Collective Security Treaty Organization and the continued presence of Russian troops in Armenia remain key elements of Yerevan’s national security doctrine.

[...]

Source: http://jamestown.org/edm/article.php?article_id=2372102

Tycoon Rules Out ‘Revolution’ In Armenia

Attempts to stage an anti-government popular revolt in Armenia are doomed to fail because they would meet with a tough response from President Robert Kocharian, according to his most trusted oligarch who looks set to do well in the upcoming parliamentary elections. Gagik Tsarukian interrupted the election campaign of his Prosperous Armenia Party (BHK) to visit Moscow late last week. No details of the trip were made public by his aides in Yerevan. RFE/RL learned on Monday that Tsarukian met with officials from President Vladimir Putin’s administration and two senior members of Russia’s parliament close to the Kremlin. It also emerged that he was interviewed by a little-known Russian television station, commenting on the political situation in Armenia and the future of its relations with Russia.

“We will develop 90 percent of our relations with Russia and 10 percent with Europe and others,” Tsarukian told the O2 TV channel in rare remarks on Armenian foreign policy. He declined to elaborate. The tycoon, whose party is widely seen as Kocharian’s new power base, was also asked about the Armenian opposition’s chances of replicating the kind of post-election regime change that took place in Ukraine and in Georgia to Moscow’s dismay. “Our president is very strong and is closely following the pre-election struggle,” he said. “If something happens, he will strictly punish the guilty.”

Source: http://www.armenialiberty.org/armeni...48682ADAC1.ASP

Նժդեհ

Comment

I repeat again: The worst thing that can happen to Armenia's longterm prosperity and geostrategic interests is opening of borders and normalization of relations with Turkey.
                Opening the borders may - or may not - have adverse effects and, personally, I'm more than comfortable with closed borders. However I find it hard to believe that opening the borders would be anywhere close to being the "worst thing that can happen to Armenia's longterm prosperity and geostrategic interests" because Armenia's "longterm prosperity and geostrategic interests" depends on its efficiency as an organization and on it's relative (geopolitical) relevance for World and Regional Powers; specially, relatively to TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey. So if the latter better manages its relationships, it may not matter - one way or another - whether the borders are closed or open - beyond being a "minor" bargaining chip in diplomatic relations, as it is today.

Probably, the "worst???? thing that can happen to Armenia's longterm prosperity and geostrategic interests" is a weak and/or paralyzed government/state as - apparently - architected by the ARF:
                Galust Sahakyan, member of the Armenian Republican Party (HHK) block, was asked by reporters at Pastark Club today about his opinion on Dashnaksutiun's suggestion which says it would be better for the interests of the country if the parliamentary majority and the president of the republic come from different political forces ensuring balance of power mechanisms in the country's governance.

"In its sense, it is a weak political "trick" in order to tell the Republicans that the country will be stronger in case you restrain yourself and we go forward. It is not possible to do anything like that in the political field."

I think that the choice of the word "trick" suggests that Sahakyan was being politically correct.
                Last edited by Siamanto; 08-17-2007, 04:22 PM.
                What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
                  Opening the borders may - or may not - have adverse effects and, personally, I'm more than comfortable with closed borders. However I find it hard to believe that opening the borders would be anywhere close to being the "worst thing that can happen to Armenia's longterm prosperity and geostrategic interests"
                  Well, you tell me brainiak.

If opening the borders resulted in the Armenian economy becoming dependent on Turkey how will that translate geopolitically for Armenia in the future? We must also take into consideration that along with opening borders and normalizing relations, they (the West ) want to create a fertile environment to push Russia out of the south Caucasus region. There are many geostrategic repercussions to opening the borders. Obviously, there are also reasons why Turkey does not want to.

This is a complicated topic, so I see why you are confused.

"In its sense, it is a weak political "trick" in order to tell the Republicans that the country will be stronger in case you restrain yourself and we go forward. It is not possible to do anything like that in the political field." I think that the choice of the word "trick" suggests that Sahakyan was being politically correct.
                  This was your attempt at taking another shot at the ARF?

Any rational person would agree with the ARF, or at the very least, they would understand. What they suggested is called "power sharing" and its done all over the world. And I also understand the Republican party representative not liking the idea. It's normal for ruling administrations not wanting to share government. Whatever the ARF suggested, whatever the reaction in parliament was, is all a matter of politics.

But since it's the ARF doing the suggesting, it must be bad

And it's no surprise that as a serious political party the ARF will try hard to gain the upper hand in politics, as with any other political party anywhere else in the world. They will try hard to impose their political ideology, it's called political conviction.

But since it's the ARF, it must be bad

Tell me Siamanto and Artsakh, when the ARF does manages to win the presidency of the Armenian Republic one day will you two "Armenian nationalists" run away and join the Turks

You two have been so ridiculous, so irrational and illogical, that I actually want to thank you on behalf of the ARF Bureau for revealing the utter shallowness of the criticisms and attacks against the ARF. Both of you would make Tallat Pasha and "Armen Ghazaryan" very proud

Նժդեհ

Comment

Well, you tell me brainiak.
                    If you had the maturity and perspicacity to see it then you would have probably seen it already.
                    A bon entendeur salut!

If opening the borders resulted in the Armenian economy becoming dependent on Turkey how will that translate geopolitically for Armenia in the future? We must also take into consideration that along with opening borders and normalizing relations, they (the West ) want to create a fertile environment to push Russia out of the south Caucasus region.
                    1. Even neophytes and amateurs understand that open borders and economic exchanges do not necessarily lead to such a dependency that would become the "worst thing that can happen to a country's longterm prosperity and geostrategic interests."
                    "Genius," if reality was as simple and straightforward as your simplistic view then TEMPORARILY SO CALLED Turkey should be pursuing a "pro-Armenian" policy?

2. LOL It's hard to see why and how "opening borders and normalizing relations" should entail such a drastic change in Russo-Armenian relations to "create a fertile environment to push Russia out of the south Caucasus region?" How simplistic! LOL Maybe you saw it in your crystal ball?
                    Also, do you think that the "West???"- your understanding of the "West" is, usually, a bit "monodimensional" - may not succeed in it's policy of "creating a fertile environment to push Russia out of the south Caucasus region," regardless of the state of the borders and relations?

Ironically, it seems that your statement "This is a complicated topic, so I see why you are confused. " characterizes so well your simplistic views.

There are many geostrategic repercussions to opening the borders. Obviously, there are also reasons why Turkey does not want to.

This is a complicated topic, so I see why you are confused.
                    LOL How cute! But if open borders are "the worst thing that can happen to Armenia's longterm prosperity and geostrategic interests????
                    Can't make up your mind? Confusing yourself again??? Too complicated for you?

This was your attempt at taking another shot at the ARF?
                    The psychotic - i.e. paranoid, in this context - in you has awakened???

Any rational person would agree with the ARF, or at the very least, they would understand. What they suggested is called "power sharing" and its done all over the world. And I also understand the Republican party representative not liking the idea. It's normal for ruling administrations not wanting to share government. Whatever the ARF suggested, whatever the reaction in parliament was, is all a matter of politics.
                    "Genius," even a neophyte would know that there are less risky mechanisms to achieve Power Sharing - be it in a state or any organizational structure; because even amateurs know that periods when the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch are controlled by different or opposing political forces, the state is weakened and paralyzed.
                    If that happens naturally, it is part of life; but, making it a mechanism of Power Sharing is the dumbest idea I have heard for a while.

Again, ironically, it seems that your statement "This is a complicated topic, so I see why you are confused. " characterizes so well your simplistic views.

But since it's the ARF doing the suggesting, it must be bad
                    The psychotic speaks again???

And it's no surprise that as a serious political party the ARF will try hard to gain the upper hand in politics, as with any other political party anywhere else in the world. They will try hard to impose their political ideology, it's called political conviction.

But since it's the ARF, it must be bad
                    What ideology? Does the ARF ideology include the weakening and paralyzing of the Armenian state/government? Divide and conquer? As Sahakyan politely put it, it is a "weak trick." Such a dumb suggestion would only fool the simple minded and the neophyte.

Tell me Siamanto and Artsakh, when the ARF does manages to win the presidency of the Armenian Republic one day will you two "Armenian nationalists" run away and join the Turks

You two have been so ridiculous, so irrational and illogical, that I actually want to thank you on behalf of the ARF Bureau for revealing the utter shallowness of the criticisms and attacks against the ARF. Both of you would make Tallat Pasha and "Armen Ghazaryan" very proud
                    Considering the long track record of ARF's flip-flopping and opportunistic policies, Dashnaks would be the first the first to join the jurks if it collided with their interests. Didn't they lobby for sanctions against Armenia only because they were banned, only a couple of years ago???
                    Last edited by Siamanto; 08-17-2007, 09:42 PM.
                    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Brainiak, you are doing a wonderful job of making a total fool of yourself. Your ego has taken over you. You can't even see your vanity, not to mention your deep envy. I have explained my concerns about open borders, including the reasons why Turkey keeps them closed, within my previous posts. There is not much else to say. You simply want to argue because you most probably are a miserable person in life. In any case, I will not entertain your fetish towards me by not replying to your psychobabble.

However, the following stupid comment of your needs to be placed in a proper perspective for the uninformed reader.

Didn't they lobby for sanctions against Armenia only because they were banned, only a couple of years ago???
                      Not only should they have lobbied against the Armenian authorities at the time, which was being lead by the treasonous administration of Levon Ter Petrosian, they should have assassinated Petrosian as well. As a matter of fact, it is said that the prospects of assassinating Petrosian was seriously discussed within the highest levels of the ARF. However, due to various considerations they decided to against it. It was decided that the ARF would instead wait it out, for they knew that sooner-or-later Petrosian would be ousted.

Keep it coming Brainiak, all you are doing with me is playing verbal gymnastics, splitting hairs and nit picking. And in doing so you are proudly revealing your intellectual deficiency. And the only people you are amusing with your stupidity here are the Turkish audience.

Its amazing how you place your massive ego above all else.

Eferim effendi

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X