Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Georgian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenian Georgian Relations

GEORGIA'S IVANISHVILI SAYS 'BALL IN MY COURT' ON JAVAKHK

Thursday, January 17th, 2013

President Sarkisian greets Georgian Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili

YEREVAN-Georgia's Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili, who is on an
    official visit to Armenia, said the "ball is now in my court," to
    fulfill campaign promises regarding the improvement of conditions for
    the Armenian population of Javakhk, reported Radio Free Europe/Radio
    Liberty's Armenian Service on Thursday.

Speaking to RFE/RL's Armenian service, Ivanishvili pledged to do his
    best to improve the situation in Georgia's Javakhki region mainly
    populated by Armenians. Most of them voted for his Georgian Dream
    alliance in the October elections.

"The Georgian opposition has never received so many ethnic Armenian
    votes before," said Ivanishvili. "I want to again thank [Javakhk
    Armenians.] I gave them many promises. I won't list those promises
    now. But I guarantee that the ball is now in my court."

During his first visit to Armenia since becoming Georgia's prime
    minister Ivanishvili also pledged to seek the restoration of Georgia's
    railway communication with Russia, vital for Armenia, and help make
    Georgian-Armenian relations "ideal" during his first official visit
    to Yerevan on Thursday.

He also announced an ambitious initiative to end a long-running
    dispute between the government-backed Armenian and Georgian churches
    after holding talks with President Serzh Sarkisian and Prime Minister
    Tigran Sargsyan.

"I think Armenian-Georgian relations can today be considered normal
    and even good," Ivanishvili told RFE/RL's Armenian service in an
    exclusive interview. "We spoke about their future with your president
    and prime minister. I think we agreed that our centuries-old relations
    must become ideal and exemplary.

"This is what I personally and our new government are aiming for,
    and I felt the same desire by the Armenian government."

Ivanishvili, who swept to power after defeating Georgian President
    Mikheil Saakashvili's party in last October's parliamentary elections,
    was particularly satisfied with his "very warm" meeting with Tigran
    Sargsyan. "We spoke in such an atmosphere as if we have known each
    other since childhood," he told a joint news conference with his
    Armenian counterpart.

Ivanishvili spoke of "interesting decisions" adopted by them. "There
    are a few remaining issues that need further discussion, but I am
    confident that we will agree on them as well," he said.

One of the key issues on the agenda was Ivanishvili's post-election
    calls for the reopening of the railway linking Georgia to Russia via
    its breakaway region of Abkhazia. The railway, which used to serve
    as a lifeline road for landlocked Armenia, has been closed since the
    outbreak of a bloody war in Abkhazia in 1992. Successive Armenian
    governments have for years held out hope for its re-launch.

"I think that [the railway] will definitely be opened," Ivanishvili
    told RFE/RL's Armenian service later in the day. "We have discussed
    this issue today for two or three times. On our side, there is full
    readiness [to have it reopened.]"

"I feel that Russia is showing understanding for this issue. There
    are positive signals from our Abkhaz brothers," he said.

Ivanishvili explained that renewed rail communication between
    Georgia and Russia would be in line with his government's strategy of
    facilitating the eventual resolution of the conflicts over Abkhazia
    and South Ossetia through confidence-building measures.

The billionaire businessman-turned-politician, who made his huge
    fortune in Russia in the 1990s, has advocated a softer Georgian line
    on Moscow ever since entering the political arena in late 2011.

Georgia and Russia severed diplomatic relations after fighting a
    brief but bitter war in 2008.

Prime Minister Sargsyan said he reaffirmed Yerevan's strong interest in
    the reopening of the Abkhaz railway during the talks with his Georgian
    counterpart. "We stressed that we will make every effort to have the
    railway operate efficiently," he told reporters. "We are interested
    in a quick solution to that issue and will adopt a proactive stance
    in its settlement."

Most of the freight shipments to and from Armenia are currently
    carried out through the Georgian Black Sea ports of Batumi and Poti.

The Russian-Georgian rail link would make some of those deliveries
    cheaper and thus shore up the struggling Armenian economy.

According to Ivanishvili, Sarkisian also called for the creation of
    a Georgian-Armenian "common market." He said he likes idea.

In what was described as a further step towards bilateral economic
    integration, the two premiers presided over the signing of a
    Georgian-Armenian agreement on joint customs administration at the
    border between the two neighboring states. Yerevan had tentatively
    agreed on the joint use of the border checkpoints with Georgia's
    previous cabinet controlled by Saakashvili.

Ivanishvili also discussed in Yerevan the issue of worship sites
    claimed by the Armenian Apostolic and Georgian Orthodox Churches. The
    unresolved dispute centers on ownership of several formerly Armenian
    churches in Tbilisi as well as abandoned medieval monasteries in
    Armenia's Lori province bordering Georgia. The supreme heads of the
    two churches failed to reach any agreements during almost one week
    of negotiations held in June 2011.

Ivanishvili said he proposed that his private charity finance the
    renovation of all disputed churches "in both countries" pending a
    joint Georgian-Armenian study of their origin. "We could also do
    archaeological work there, which I'm also ready to finance through
    my fund," he said.

"I think this initiative was received well by the [Armenian] president
    and the prime minister," added Ivanishvili. "I think that we will set
    up a bilateral commission in a matter of days, start the process of
    restoration of these monuments and clarify their origin."

Ivanishvili discussed the matter at a separate meeting with Catholicos
    Karekin II at the Etchmiadzin headquarters of the Armenian Church. The
    Catholicos' office said the Armenian pontiff expressed hope for its
    "proper resolution."
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Chakhalyan Released from Georgia Prison

AKHALKALAK, Javakhk—Georgian authorities on Thursday released Georgian-Armenian activist Vahagn Chakhalyan, who was serving a 10-year sentence for alleged weapons possession and inciting unrest, his lawyers reported.

Chakhalyan was arrested by Georgian authorities on July 21, 2008. He was given a 10-year sentence for “organization of large-scale events, public disturbance, hooliganism and illegal possession of weapons,” based on falsified evidence. Vahagn Chakhalyan’s case is currently being studied at the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

Chakhalyan, accompanied by friends and colleagues who were gathered at the prison, went to the Holy Etchmiadzin Church in Tbilisi, where he was greeted by the Primate of the Georgian Diocese Bishop Vasgen Mirzakhanyan.

Chakhalyan was greeted at the church by Armen Gevorgyan and Ruben Shekoyan, two Armenian political prisoners who were released on January 13 in accordance with a parliamentary amnesty decision.

His Holiness Karekin II, Catholicos of All Armenians also spoke to Chakhlyan by phone, sending his blessings to the newly released activist.

Chakhalyan left the Tbilisi church and headed home to Akhalkalak, Javakhk.

Head of the “Strong Homeland” party, Shirak Torosyan, told Yerkir Media that Georgian-Armenian organizations, as well as the Georgian Diocese played a large role in securing Chakhalyan’s release.

“We are encouraged by the new Georgian government’s recent release of Vahagn Chakhalyan and other Armenian activists, from Javakahk and across Georgia, who were improperly jailed simply for the free expression of their ideas and aspirations,” said Armenian National Committee of America Executive Director Aram Hamparian.

“We welcome these first signs of a more tolerant and pluralist atmosphere in Georgia, and hope that a new, positive approach to the nation’s ethnic and civic diversity will open the door to the cooperative and comprehensive solutions needed to bring about enduring improvements for the Armenian population and all of Georgia’s citizens,” added Hamparian.

During a visit to Armenian last week, Georgia’s Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili said the “ball is now in my court,” to fulfill campaign promises regarding the improvement of conditions for the Armenian population of Javakhk.

Speaking to RFE/RL’s Armenian service, Ivanishvili pledged to do his best to improve the situation in Georgia’s Javakhki region mainly populated by Armenians. Most of them voted for his Georgian Dream alliance in the October elections.

“The Georgian opposition has never received so many ethnic Armenian votes before,” said Ivanishvili. “I want to again thank [Javakhk Armenians.] I gave them many promises. I won’t list those promises now. But I guarantee that the ball is now in my court.”

Comment

Well how about that-a politition doing what he promised-it is so refreshing. I hope this means improvments for the people living in southern Georgia.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Ivanishvillii's visit seemes to have made some good progress and is seen as a positive development by over 60% of Georgians who also want better relations with Russia. On the other hand there is shakasvilii who is trying to start a panac and undermine everything the PM tries to do. I am glad georgians are taking a more rational approach to their foreign policy and Shakasvillii is becoming more and more seen as a neocon natzi scumbag that he is.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Վրաստանում ստեղծվել է հանձնաժողով հայկական եկեղեցիների հարցով
            Ուրբաթ, 25 Հունվարի 2013,

Վրաստանի մշակույթի նախարարության նախաձեռնությամբ մի քանի օր է` գործում է փորձնական հանձնաժողով, որն ուսումնասիրում է Վրաստանի հայկական եկեղեցիների վիճակը: Այս մասին Lragir.am-ին տեղեկացրեց «Բազմազգ Վրաստան» կազմակերպության նախագահ, Թբիլիսիի հայերի ասամբլեայի համակարգող Առնոլդ Ստեփանյանը` նշելով, որ որոշվել է փորձնական հանձնաժողով ստեղծել Վրաստանի վարչապետ Բիձինա Իվանիշվիլիի` Երևան կատարած այցից հետո:
            Հանձնաժողովում ընդգրկված են մշակույթի նախարարության, Հայ Առաքելական եկեղեցու վիրահայոց թեմի, վրաց ուղափառ եկեղեցու և երկու հասարակական կազմակերպությունների` «Բազմազգ Վաստանի» և «21-րդ դարի» մասնագետները: Հանձնաժողովի անդամները շրջում են հայկական եկեղեցիներում, գնահատում, իրավիճակը, որից հետո կներկայացնեն իրենց առաջարկությունները: Նախնական ընտրվել է հինգ եկեղեցի, որոնք գտնվում են խիստ վթարային վիճակում և վերականգնման կարիք ունեն: Դրանք են Սուրբ Նորաշեն, սուրբ Մինաս, Կարմիր Ավետարան, Սուրբ Նշան և Մուղնու Սուրբ Գևորգ եկեղեցիները: Հունվարի 23-ին մասնագետներն արդեն եղել են Սուրբ Նորաշեն եկեղեցում և ծանոթացել իրավիճակին:
            «Այս փուլում խոսք է գնում եկեղեցիների վերականգնման և պահպանման մասին, սակայն թե ինչ արդյունք կտա հանձնաժողովի աշխատանքը, դեռ վաղ է ասել»,- նշեց Առնոլդ Ստեփանյանը: Նա նաև ասաց, որ հայտնի չէ` հանձնաժողովի աշխատանքն այս ձևաչափով կշարունակվի, թե խնդրի լուծման համար միջկառավարական հանձնաժողով կստեղծվի: «Մի քանի տարբերակ կա` կամ այս ձևաչափով կշարունակվեն աշխատանքները, կամ միջկառավարական հանձնաժողով կստեղծվի: Բայց կարևորն այն է, որ կոնկերտ քայլեր արվեն, և արդյունքները տեսանելի լինեն»,- ասաց Ստեփանյանը:
            Նշենք, որ Թբիլիսիի մեր աղբյուրները հայտնում են, որ Վրաստանի վարչապետ Բիձինա Իվանիշվիլին նախքան Հայաստան կատարած այցն է իր շրջապատում քննարկել Վրաստանում գտնվող հայկական եկեղեցիների պահպանման հարցը:

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
              Ivanishvillii's visit seemes to have made some good progress and is seen as a positive development by over 60% of Georgians who also want better relations with Russia. On the other hand there is shakasvilii who is trying to start a panac and undermine everything the PM tries to do. I am glad georgians are taking a more rational approach to their foreign policy and Shakasvillii is becoming more and more seen as a neocon natzi scumbag that he is.
              Georgia having normal relations with Russia is marvellous for us. Georgia is like Ukraine. Color Revolution -> Realises being lodged into West's a$s is not practical -> Recoil to the 'middle ground'.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---
              "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                Georgia having normal relations with Russia is marvellous for us. Georgia is like Ukraine. Color Revolution -> Realises being lodged into West's a$s is not practical -> Recoil to the 'middle ground'.
                ------- being lodged into the west's as$ ---------
                Great discription Moss

Comment

ARMENIA'S AMBASSADOR TO GEORGIA DISCUSSES ISSUE OF "DISPUTABLE" CHURCHES

Wednesday 30 January 2013 16:11
                  Photo: news.armeniatv.com
                  Armenian Ambassador to Georgia Hovhannes Manukyan

Yerevan, January 30. /Mediamax/. Armenian Ambassador to Georgia
                  Hovhannes Manukyan and first Deputy Minister of Culture and
                  Preservation of Monuments of Georgia Marina Mizandari discussed issues
                  of preservation and restoration of Armenian, the so-called
                  "disputable" churches and the issue of returning them to the Georgian
                  diocese of Armenian Apostolic Church.

The sides also discussed issues related to cultural cooperation
                  between Armenia and Georgia. In particular, steps following
                  discussions held within the recent official visit of Georgian Prime
                  Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili to Armenia were discussed.

Hovhannes Manukyan also met with Vice Prime Minister, Minister of
                  Energy and Natural Resources of Georgia Kakha Kaladze.

The Georgian Minister said that Armenia-Georgia cooperation in energy
                  sphere is one of the top-priority areas of the bilateral relations.

Kakha Kaladze expressed the readiness to continue cooperation with
                  Armenia.

Comment

A very interesting article from the Jamestown Foundation on the possible shift of Georgia's geopolitical orientation following the election win of Bidzina Ivanishvili. The path Georgia's political leadership took after the ouster of Shevardnadze was not natural to begin with. It was in total ignorance of Georgia's history and geography. But that's what you get when all these western-educated, ignorant, arrogant, young idealists the "know-it-all types" take control of the country. They are ignorant of their own history and cultural values, they ignore all the evil done by the political elite of the West over the last couple centuries yet at the same time they can very pointedly list all the wrongs done by "Russian Imperialists" and the Soviet Union (never mind that the SU was not a Russian project to begin with and Russian nationals suffered equally), they so idolize anything and everything coming from the West that it just becomes disgustingly embarassing for any self-respecting individual. How can one be a representative of a nation and at the same time be totally ignorant of its own national values while idolizing the values of foreign countries?

Now back to point although Ivanishvili is publicly claiming that he wants Georgia to become a member of Nato and the EU, I don't take this very seriously. He is just playing a delicate political game and in time his real intentions will start to reveal itself. The EU at the moment is too busy with its internal disagreements between member states to even seriously think about letting new members in. Besides the fact that allowing new member states to the Union will not please the general public of the EU member states - to say the least - now with the possible exit of Britain from the EU who knows which member states will follow? The Dutch Prime Minister M. Rutte is currently talking about taking political power away from the EU and let it become more of an economic bloc (as was the initial reason for the establishment of the union anyway). So in light of these developments, Georgia's accession to the EU seems to be something of the very very distant future.

Also notice how Georgia's EU/Nato aspirations drove them in Turkey's and Azerbaijan's lap (naturally) and contributed to the isolation of Armenia and we still have our idealists that want Armenia to follow the Georgian path. Our idealists were looking up to Saakashvili, especially in the last two years yet they were totally ignoring that Georgians themselves were sick and tired of his rule!!! They just can't understand that Armenia means nothing, absolutely nothing to the political elite of the West. If anything, Armenia for them is just an obstacle for their energy transit routes to Europe. Thank God for our mutually beneficial relationship with the Russian Federation. Were it not for this alliance....well we can all speculate on what would've happened to our young fledgling republic.

The Shift in Geopolitical Balance of Power in South Caucasus is Underway

By: Vasili Rukhadze

On January 17, during his visit to Armenia, Georgian Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili stated that “Armenia provides a good example for Georgia, and it can be a source of envy in a positive sense,” for managing to have good relations with Russia and at the same time with the United States and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) member states (www.civil.ge, January 18). Setting Armenia—a country which does not aspire to NATO membership and is widely considered to be Russia’s satellite state in the South Caucasus—as an example was quite an alarming statement for Georgia, which already for more than a decade seeks to join the North Atlantic Alliance and distance itself from Moscow.

Ivanishvili, in a somewhat Machiavellian style, never misses an opportunity to pay verbal tribute to Georgia’s Euro-Atlantic aspirations, while everything that he has done since becoming Prime Minister in October 2012, clearly shows that he is shifting the country’s foreign policy orientation toward Georgia’s former master, Russia. But this is not merely change in one country’s foreign policy. As a result of Georgia’s shift, there is greater change underway in the geopolitical balance of power in the entire South Caucasus region.

Georgia, because of its sheer geographic location, is a pivotal state in the entire Caucasus—it is the only country that borders all the states and political entities in the region (with the exception of Adygea). Against the background of the ongoing Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict and subsequent blockade of Armenia by Azerbaijan and Turkey, Georgia provides the shortest land connection for Azerbaijan to its ally Turkey and for Armenia to its ally Russia. Consequently, it does matter a great deal for the Caucasian states where Georgia stands. Georgia’s foreign policy orientation largely determines which state becomes isolated in the conflict-ridden and divided South Caucasus.

As Georgia intensely moved toward the West since the 2003 Rose Revolution, Tbilisi actively cooperated with NATO-member Turkey and its Caucasian ally, Azerbaijan, in the economic, political as well as military spheres. Armenia has been left out of all major joint projects, becoming increasingly isolated in the region. Things are changing now for the benefit of Armenia, which may, this time, leave Azerbaijan isolated, indicating a shift in the geopolitical balance of power in the South Caucasus.

While Ivanishvili gradually reorients Georgia toward Russia, he simultaneously courts Moscow’s closest regional ally, Armenia, addressing Yerevan’s urgent needs and demands. Ivanishvili’s statement in Armenia was not a mere diplomatic quip to please Armenians. He went further. Ivanishvili agreed to allow teaching Armenian history in Armenian schools in Georgia (www.iveroni.com.ge, January 20). Additionally, at the request of the Head of Armenia’s Gregorian Church Karekin II, Ivanishvili’s government released from prison Vahagn Chakhalian, a political activist associated with Armenian extremist groups in Georgia. He was serving a prison term for the illegal possession of weapons, armed hooliganism and public disorder in Georgia’s predominantly Armenian-populated Javakheti region (www.civil.ge, January 25). Most importantly, Ivanishvili stated that the reopening of the Russia-Armenia railway—which passes through Georgia, including breakaway Abkhazia—would be possible (www.radiotavisupleba.ge, January 29). Currently, work is underway to address some technical problems for reopening the railway (www.armenpress.am, January 31; www.kvirispalitra.ge, January 31).

This railway has huge significance for isolated Armenia. As Armenia’s jubilant President Serzh Sargsyan correctly noted, it would end the blockade of Armenia and have crucial importance for the country’s economy and its exports (www.tert.am, February 4). However, the railway has even greater military and political significance, and not only for Armenia but also for Russia. If Moscow regains a direct rail link to its ally, Russia will be able to transport, without any obstacles, large amounts of military hardware to the Russian 102nd Military Base in Gyumri and to Armenia, in general. This will certainly further shift the military balance in the South Caucasus in Russia and Armenia’s favor. In a related development, the Russian government already announced its intention to double the number of contract servicemen at the base (www.en.rian.ru, June 19, 2012).

However, the reopening of the Russia-Armenia (North-South) railway via Georgia seems to be just a piece in much larger scheme. On January 18, Armenia announced the launch of the Southern Armenian Railway (SAR) project, with the participation of Russia, Iran, China and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The SAR will link Armenia with Iran and further with the Persian Gulf. Most importantly, it will connect regional Black Sea ports to the Gulf (www.regnum.ru, January 18). Considering that the Russia-Armenia railway can (and will) connect with the Armenia-Iran railway, it will create a long, north-south transport corridor, stretching from Russia to the Persian Gulf. This transport corridor will have tremendous economic and geopolitical importance first and foremost for Russia, expanding Moscow’s reach all the way to the southern Middle East.

Georgia’s steps to move toward Moscow and court Armenia are also isolating Azerbaijan on various issues. Georgia’s proposal back in November 2012 to reopen the Russia-Armenia railway (see EDM, November 12, 2012) caused indignation in Baku (www.regnum.ru, November 12, 2012), which opposes any idea to break the blockade of Armenia. Nevertheless, the railway issue is already at the working stage. Moreover, in December 2012, the Georgian prime minister questioned the economic efficiency and profitability of the highly important Baku-Tbilisi-Kars (BTK) railway project, connecting Azerbaijan to Turkey via Georgia (www.geopalitratv.ge, December 22, 2012; see EDM, January 31). Although, he later recanted his statement (www.georgiatoday.ge, December 27, 2012), it showed that Georgia may no longer walk side by side with Azerbaijan. Such disagreements may grow, increasing Azerbaijan’s isolation in the region. Some in Azerbaijan now even talk about a possible regime change in Baku by Russia (www.regnum.ru, February 1).

As Georgia shifts toward Russia, the geopolitical balance of power in the Caucasus is undoubtedly changing. This process will become even more visible in the months to come. The window is closing for the United States and the European Union to show political will and strength and to activate their policies in the region. Resolute action by the West will be necessary to salvage Georgia from sliding toward Moscow and hence avert further expansion of Russia’s influence in the South Caucasus. Failure to act may result in a geopolitical picture of the region that will look quite different in couple of years.

http://www.jamestown.org/single/?no_cache=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=40434&tx_ttnews[backPid]=7&cHash=c297794aff6b6f1f86ee98305705850f
                    Last edited by Lernakan; 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Poor tie-eater at it again

Saakashvili Tells EaP Meeting Participants Why He's Against of Reopening Abkhaz Railway

Civil Georgia, Tbilisi / 13 Feb.'13 / 19:40

President Saakashvili told the ministers and dignitaries from Eastern Partnership (EaP) countries, including Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian, that he was against of reopening railway via breakaway Abkhazia as it would pose threat to Georgia and lead to Russian “expansion in the Caucasus”.

Saakashvili also said that at the time when Russia took over the Armenian railway, Moscow probably already had its “insidious plan” and “calculations about Georgia’s elections”; he also added that Moscow probably had its “favorite” candidate with the latter having “concrete commitments” before Russia.

When PM Bidzina Ivanishvili visited Armenia in January, he said that his government was ready to launch work on reopening of the railway between Georgia and Russia via breakaway Abkhazia, which would also link Armenia with Russia; Ivanishvili, however, also noted that the issue was complicated because of troubled relations between Georgia and Russian and because of “uneasy relations with our Abkhaz brothers”.

President Saakashvili, who voiced his opposition to the idea of reopening of the Abkhaz railway for number of times since PM’s remarks, again raised the issue while hosting in the presidential palace participants of an informal Eastern Partnership ministerial meeting in Tbilisi, involving high ranking officials from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine; European Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle and Vice President of the European Commission Siim Kallas were also present. Earlier on February 13 participants of the meeting from six countries of the Eastern Partnership held discussions on the issue of transport.

“On the one hand we have very close and warm relations with Armenia and I am grateful to Armenia, especially for its solidarity expressed towards Georgia in difficult circumstances in 2008 [during the August war],” President Saakashvili said, adding that Georgia did its best to help Armenia with solving transportation issues, including through reopening of Larsi border crossing point with Russia.

“But today the issue of reopening of railway through Abkhazia has been put on the agenda again. I do not want Armenia to face any kind of problem in respect of transportation of cargo in the future. I simply want them to know what my position about this railway is,” Saakashvili said.

“First of all we know that the Russian railway controls the Armenian railway,” Saakashvili said.

State-run Russian Railways (RZhD) took over the management of Armenian railway network under 30-year operating concession deal, which was signed in January, 2008.

“At the time when they [Russia] took over the Armenian railway and illegally seized the railway in occupied Abkhazia, there was no talk of reopening of railway [via Abkhazia], so I was asking a question: what was Russia’s plan? Why it needed Armenian railway if the railway via Abkhazia was not opened?” Saakashvili said.

“It seems that Russia had more far-sighted and insidious plan than I could have imagined,” he continued.

“They [Russia] had their calculations about Georgia’s elections; they probably had their favorite [candidate in Georgia’s elections], who had concrete commitments [before Russia]; otherwise I cannot explain why did they need to control Armenian railway and seized Abkhaz railway in the condition when [these two rail networks] were disconnected,” Saakashvili said.

With Russia’s continued occupation of Abkhazia, he said, reopening of the railway via the breakaway region would further increase Moscow’s grip over Abkhazia.

“It will be an instrument for [Russian] expansion in the Caucasus,” Saakashvili said. “Georgia will gain nothing from it; on the contrary it will complicate reintegration of Abkhazia and will create other types of military and political problems for Georgia.”

“I do not think that it is in the interests of any country in the Caucasus,” Saakashvili said. “It is only in the short-term, aggressive interests of one country.”

He also said that for the purpose of handling more cargo turnover via Georgia, including those destined for Armenia, the previous government of Georgia was intending to build a new port, Lazika, on the Black Sea coast close to Abkhazia.

President Saakashvili also spoke about the importance of EU’s Eastern Partnership initiative and especially welcomed participation of Foreign Minister of Belarus Vladimir Makey in the Eastern Partnership informal meeting in Tbilisi.

“We are very grateful to Belarus, like to other countries present here, for respecting Georgia’s sovereignty and territorial integrity in difficult circumstances. We think that dialogue with Belarus and engagement of Belarus in various European formats has a long-term importance not only for Belarus but for the entire Europe as well,” Saakashvili said.

Saakashvili also said that idea of granting Georgia a declaration on EU membership perspective was floating last year. “There is less talk about it now,” Saakashvili said. “I hope that that the chance for that is not completely lost.”

He also said that Georgia should “definitely” sign Association Agreement with EU.

“I am ready to help the Georgian government in this regard with everything possible. You know that there are many circumstances, which may turn problematic for Georgia in this regard; I am not at all happy about it,” Saakashvili said.

The President of the European People’s Party (EPP) Wilfried Martens and the Vice President of the EPP and Chairman of the EPP Group in Euronest Jacek Saryusz-Wolski released a statement on February 13 condemning February 8 incident outside the National Library in Tbilisi in which several UNM MPs were assaulted. The statement says that the conditions to continue a dialogue on Association Agreement with Georgia “are not met anymore” because, as the statement reads, “the situation continues to deteriorate dramatically” in Georgia. President Saakashvili’s UNM party is an observer member of EPP.

Comment

Working...
                      X