Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Add the kardashians to the famous Armenian section's description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Add the kardashians to the famous Armenian section's description

Originally posted by Tali View Post
    There's no denying she's a horrible example. but she has brought attention to Armenians.
    Rubbish,

She only brought attention to herself.
    That is the business she is in.
    A Classic whoore.
    Last edited by londontsi; 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM.
    Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
    Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
    Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

You don't see George Michael going around and claiming he's Greek just because his father was Greek. There is a reason for that, his success was actually due to having marketable skills.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Saying Kim Kardashian is armenian or represents armenians is just part of the smear campaign by Azeris and Turks. Unfortunately, some gullible Armenians and non-Armenians alike fall into that trap.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I don't care what you all say there are Armenian's who have 100% Armenian blood that know less about Armenia than she does, and some who are bigger wh0res too. Kim and her sister's do more for Armenia than most diasporans do(not for a lack of trying, but the sisters have a wider audience to tell things too)

First off though where are you getting that she is only 25% Armenian from? She's said more than once that her dad was Armenian that his father was Turkish Armenian(western Armenian) and his mother, "Helen" was Russian Armenian (eastern Armenian). She's also blogged about her paternal grandmother and said she was full Armenian, and I'm assuming that her paternal grandfather was Armenian b/c of the surname.

She's even mentioned that Helen got them addicted to "bishi" which is like loukoumades (some Armenians eat this, others have no clue what it is. I think it's a western Armenian thing) She's also talked about lahmajun, which she says is her favorite Armenian food.

Over the past 3 years, Kim has constantly brought up the recognition of the Armenian Genocide, whether on her blog, or on her twitter which has 6.63 million followers making her the 5th most followed person on twitter. She's right behind Barack Obama, and ahead of people and organizations such as

Oprah
          Taylor Swift
          Ryan Seacrest
          CNN
          The BBC
          50 cent
          Shakira
          The New York Times
          Larry King
          Beyonce
          Mariah Carrey
          Justin Timberlake
          Perez Hilton
          Al Gore
          Anderson Cooper
          Connan O'brien
          Cher,
          and so on.

Khloe and Kourtney also have sizable (though smaller) twitter fanbase of about 2.2 to 2.6 million people each. Kim's last remark on twitter about the Armenian Genocide in which she urged her followers to call then speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi and tell her they support the recognition of the AG even caused some Turkish groups to post protest tweets and articles against her statements.

Kim has also spoke about AG recognition to ABC news when she was at the white house correspondents dinner last year.

In 2009 Kim and her siblings (including Rob Kardashian Jr) participated in a fundraiser for The Armenian orphanage foundation which raised 90,000. Kim also donates 10% of her annual income to charities which include a church her mother attends in California and the "Dream Foundation" which is like the "Make a Wish Foundation" for adults. She also hosts ebay auctions of her family's personal items from which the proceeds go to various charities. She's also helped in hiv/aids awareness campaigns.

Khloe and Kourtney have done less the Kim, but then again, they're just they're not as famous as Kim so it's understandable. Still they've done their share to make sure fans know random bits about Armenia.

During Khloe's wedding reception which was aired on their show, Kris Jenner (the Mom) led a sourj bar, which she said was a traditional Armenian dance in order to honor the late Robert Kardashian Sr. This episode was aired in the 4th season which averaged around 4 million viewers per episode. There was even an episode to where Kris Jenner and Khloe venture off to Glendale/Little Armenia to find Kim a "nice Armenian guy"

Khloe also posted about the genocide on her site, and even Armenian Christmas.

Kourtney has posted articles about armenia on her blog, inlcluding ones about the oldest leather shoe being found in Armenia a year ago, and then about excavations in the same spot which led to finding the world's oldest winery.

The sisters also have a jëwelry line that is sold at Nordstroms that is supposed to be inspired by Armenian symbols (pre christian symbols included). I'm not sure if all the pieces are actually Armenian inspired, or how accurate the symbols and their descriptions are since they have artistic license with such things, but I do know that it will keep the idea Armenia cemented in the heads of the people who buy the jëwelry. Whenever one person is asked about their new necklace or bracelet, they'll talk about how it was Armenian inspired, among other things.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the Kardashian sisters are Saint's who've been ordained by the hand of God to lead the Armenian People, and I understand that they are most likely using the Armenian name to help sell themselves, but in the end they're making people more aware of Armenia by reaching population demographics that the likes of Cher, Kirk Krikorian, Andre Agassi or the members of System of A down could. (System of a Down should also be listed in this section's description as opposed to Kirk or Andre, especially since they've gotten back together now).

And sure other than Kim's constant statements about the AG, they haven't done many big things for Armenia, like they still haven't taken that family trip there they keep saying they want to take, but they've done many small things, which add up to a lot, unlike Cher who has always identified with her Cherokee roots,( even though she's not even 50% cherokee) and who was only suddenly Armenian from 1988-1993(earthquake to trip to armenia).

Where has Cher been all this past decade when we needed celebrity support for the last 5 times congress was voting on something that dealt with Armenia, whether it was Genocide recognition or reduction of foreign aid to Armenia and increased aid to Azerbaijan? Where was Cher this last time when Kim was telling people to call the speaker of the house and say they support recognition, or where was Cher when System of a down was trying to do the same 5 or 6 years ago?

At least the Kardashian's fans, now know about the Armenian Genocide and many have called their representative at least once when asked to by Kim. By many have now probably googled "Armenia" and know where it is on a map and maybe even read about it on Wikipedia. They know that in Armenia, Christmas is celebrated on January 6th, they know about Armenian foods some, they know about little Armenia in California, and they even know about sourj bars and random facts like the oldest leather shoe and winery were found in Armenia.

And you can tell that she and possibly Armenia is being googled b/c "Kim Kardashian" was listed as number 4 on google's year end review of 2010 for "fastest rising people" search category last year

here are some random bits from the web about Kim and Armenian issues
          ISTANBUL, Turkey (A.W.)—The Turkish daily newspaper HaberTurk on April 25 reported in a front-page story that Armenian American celebrity Kim Kardashian—in response to a denialist statement made on her Twitter page by a Turkish woman [...]

ISTANBUL, Turkey (A.W.)—The Turkish daily newspaper HaberTurk on April 25 reported in a front-page story that Armenian American celebrity Kim Kardashian—in response to a denialist statement made on her Twitter page by a Turkish woman this week—said, “The time has come to recognize the Armenian Genocide.”

Kardashian’s page is one of the most popular on Twitter, with several million followers.

Support the Armenian Genocide Resolution and Make a Difference!
          December 10, 2010 / 126 Comments

Hi dolls! I wanted to bring something to your attention that I think is a really important issue.

As some of you may be aware, although many of you may not be, Turkey still denies that the Armenian Genocide took place, and the U.S. government has remained silent about it due to pressure from the Turkish government.

The Armenian Genocide was a series of terrible massacres committed by Turkey between 1915 and 1923 that killed members of my extended family and over two million other Armenians and Christians in the Ottoman Empire.

It’s time for America to speak openly and honestly about this horrible crime against humanity, and the only way this will happen is if WE speak up first.

To get your voice heard, call Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, at (202) 225-0100 and ask her to pass the Armenian Genocide Resolution, H.Res.252. This human rights legislation will help make sure that the lessons of this genocide are used to help prevent future crimes against humanity. For more information about calling the Speaker’s office, and ideas on exactly what to say click here.

We CAN make a difference.
          Let’s recognize what really happened
          November 18, 2008 / 206 Comments

As many of you know, this is an issue near and dear to my heart…

I firmly believe the U.S. should officially recognize the horrific and historical atrocity of the Armenian Genocide, also known as the “Great Calamity.”

For those of you who don’t know about it: More than a million Armenian people were marched to their death during World War I and beyond. I know, the number is so staggering, I cannot even fathom it.

Right now MSNBC has posted a poll on the matter and I cannot believe how many people have voted “no.” I’m left to wonder if people are really aware of the gravity of the situation.

I voted “yes” and would appreciate it if you felt it in your heard to vote “yes” too.

Posted under Armenian Genocide, Armenian Holocaust, genocide, Great Calamity, killing, MSNBC, poll, United States

ABC News’ Rick Klein reports: GQ’s Ana Marie Cox and I had the tough assignment Saturday night: Talk to famous people on their way into the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner.

That could be famous as in Kim Kardashian, who told us she really wanted to meet First Lady Michelle Obama -- and lobby the president himself on the Armenian genocide.....

oh an Kim is quite internationally well known, these are the top 10 countries she was searched in on google last year

1. Trinidad and Tobago
          2. Armenia
          3. Honduras
          4. United States
          5. Jamaica
          6. El Salvador
          7. Puerto Rico
          8. Nicaragua
          9. South Africa
          10. Canada

Last year also was marked by a 90% jump for the google search "Where is Armenia?" and "map of Armenia" went up 40% during the same time period of last year almost all searches on Kim Kardashian also went up, even searches on if Kris Jenner was Armeian or not when up by 110%
          Last edited by ara87; 03-08-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

She's still not Armenian.

BTW, another one of our enemies is TAMAR KEVONIAN. She writes this kind of ultra liberal crap on asbarez dot com

Cyrinda Foxe (nee Kathleen Victoria Hetzekian) - 100% Armenian by blood. Had numerous affairs with rock stars and the like. Never exploited her Armenian ancestry because SHE KNEW SHE WAS AMERICAN.

Her Daughter Mia Tyler 50% Armenian by blood (bad choice of mates Ms. Hetzekian)

Yvette Nelson (nee Yvette Serpouhi Stefens) - 50% Armenian by blood (better looking than Kardashian in my opinion)
            Last edited by KanadaHye; 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I would like to delete the Kardashians from the forum. Why would we feature them more prominently?
              I can appreciate some of the stuff Ara has pointed out, but I'm still not convinced a strong association with them is a good thing.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post

She's even mentioned that Helen got them addicted to "bishi" which is like loukoumades (some Armenians eat this, others have no clue what it is. I think it's a western Armenian thing) She's also talked about lahmajun, which she says is her favorite Armenian food.

Never heard of "bishi". Sounds like those elephant ears that you get at fairs... fried dough with sugar/cinnamon on top.

http://www.thearmeniankitchen.com/20...n-zeppoli.html

http://www.food.com/recipe/armenian-...e-bishi-179060

Comment

@ara87

First off she knows very little about Armenia, I don't know where you are getting that she knows more about Armenia, Armenian culture than other Armenians. After all she's grown up in an American household with american values. If she hadn't maybe she wouldn't have turned into a prostitute. And she also gets paid for tweeting so it's BS that she somehow is helping Armenians - she can go and shove her tweets somewhere else - she has done more harm than good to Armenians, as now uninformed people only think of that wh*re when they hear the word "Armenians" - it's disgusting.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---
                  "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                    @ara87

First off she knows very little about Armenia, I don't know where you are getting that she knows more about Armenia, Armenian culture than other Armenians. After all she's grown up in an American household with american values. If she hadn't maybe she wouldn't have turned into a prostitute. And she also gets paid for tweeting so it's BS that she somehow is helping Armenians - she can go and shove her tweets somewhere else - she has done more harm than good to Armenians, as now uninformed people only think of that wh*re when they hear the word "Armenians" - it's disgusting.
                    When she stops using the Armenian label as a gimmick and genuinely begins taking her influence seriously, then perhaps majority of Armenians will change their views. However, I think it'll be a cold day in hell if that ever happens. Although, it might happen as she ages, the media drops her and she tries to reinvent herself just to remain in the spotlight.

Comment

@ Siggie,

I'm not saying that we shouldn only associate ourselves with the Kardashian clan, by all means we will stil mention Cher and Aznavour and whoever else, I'm just saying that along with those famous Armenians we should also mention the Kardashians.

No one under the age of 30 cares about Cher, and most people in the English speaking world don't know or care about Aznavour. Even most sports fans don't care about Agassi, and with him you have Iranians and Assyrians saying he's their nationality too, and with Kirkorian, it's only us armos and business people who know or care about him. We need people to reach all demographics, and the Kardashian's certainly can reach people that other notable Armenians can't. The purpose of this site isn't just for Armenians to come talk, it's a public forum, everyone can read anything posted here without registering, and the site turns up in google searches so it's not just Armenians and the random middle easterner on here,

So maybe when a Kim fan who's googling "Kim Kardashian Armenia" or "Where is Armenia" or "Is Kris Jenner Armenian?" will accidentally come across this site, see the Kardashian name and be curious enough to wander through the forums pages, maybe even to the AG boards. This same reason applies on why I want "System of A Down" to be in the famous Armo section as opposed to Andre Agassi or Kirk Krikorian.

@Kan

When I said she knows more than some Armos who are 100% blood Armo, I didn't mean by a lot, but I'm sure that somewhere in the diaspora there's at least a few hundred full blooded Armenians who know less than or only just as much as Kim.

As far as her tweets go she has a contract to get paid around 10,000 every time she tweets for "Ad.ly." an online ad company, and she tweets about things like rebook and carls burgers for them.

She doesn't get paid when she tweets about other things like who she's going to hang out with her sisters, or when she posts about Armenian issues. I'm glad you pointed that she gets paid though b/c I didn't know it until just now, but it backs up my point even more b/c if a company things that a single post of 140 characters from Kim's twitter account is worth 10 grand what does that say about how many people they think she has an influence on?

As far as her being the only thing people will think of when they hear "Armenian" it's better her than nothing.

Also I said I know she and her family are using their roots just to sell themselves, but it can be a symbiotic relationship as opposed to a parasitic one if we allow it to.

As far as her actually stop using the name as a gimmick idk if that day will ever come, but I do agree that she'll eventually try to reinvent herself as time goes on by becoming more Armenian. She always says that she wants to do an Armenia trip with all her siblings, mom, etc, but things keep getting in the way (like Khloe and Lamar getting their own show that will air later this year), with all their different schedules but she hopes that they eventually can all do it.

I'm pretty sure that they'll do a trip sometime in the near future though and try to air it on tv though whether it'll be part of Keeping Up With the Kardashian's or it's spinoffs or some other networks primetime schedule idk.

I think if they want to use it for any of their shows on "E" it'll be a short trip and taped in a comedic light and not be serious, but if Kim wants to save it and use it to reinvent herself I could see it being aired on ABC or something and it would have a more serious tone

and lastly about the bishi

I guess "bishi" is just a generic term used by Armenians for some kind of fried dough pastry in a sugar syrup. The only one I've known is the one my mom makes which is a ball of fried dough in a sugar syrup w/o any cinnamon, I think there's also some rose water in the syrup. I don't know where the word bishi comes from though, it doesn't seem to be Turkish or Arabic from what I gather, but if it's Armenians it's strange that many Armenians haven't heard of it or use some other word to describe the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X