Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Western dialect vs. Eastern dialect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Western dialect vs. Eastern dialect

Originally posted by Alexzan View Post
    Ill give an example for when it has been used

"Einch gines gor"

Which in eastern would be Einch anumes?
    Isn't "Intch anum es" the equivalent of "Intch g'@nes?" How do you distinguish in Eastern Armenian between "Intch g'@nes" and "Intch g'@nes gor?"
    Last edited by Siamanto; 10-04-2007, 08:26 PM.
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
      Isn't "Intch anum es" the equivalent of "Intch g@nes?" How do you distinguish in Eastern Armenian between "Intch g@nes" and "Intch g@nes gor?"
      Beg your pardon? Sorry, I didn't understand what you were asking.

If you are asking how I tell Eastern Armenian and Western apart? It is by the way they speak. My fathers side of the family extends everything at the end when they speak.

Comment

Isn't "Intch anum es" the equivalent of "Intch g'@nes?" How do you distinguish in Eastern Armenian between "Intch g'@nes" and "Intch g'@nes gor?"
        Beg your pardon? Sorry, I didn't understand what you were asking.

If you are asking how I tell Eastern Armenian and Western apart? It is by the way they speak. My fathers side of the family extends everything at the end when they speak.

1. I said: Isn't "Intch anum es" the equivalent of "Intch g'@nes" - and not "Intch g'@nes gor?"

2. I asked: How do you distinguish, in Eastern Armenian, between "Intch g'@nes" and "Intch g'@nes gor?"
        Last edited by Siamanto; 10-04-2007, 09:10 PM.
        What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

"Einch gines gor"

First of all, in Eastern Armenian it would be " inches anum?" and not "inch anumes?" secondly in the Eastern dialect the present simple and present continuous tenses are the same and one can be distinguished from the other inside the context or by simply adding certain adverbs such as the following; " inches anum?" "girk em kartum, hima." "utumem arayjms", etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post

"Einch gines gor"

First of all, in Eastern Armenian it would be " inches anum?" and not "inch anumes?"
            Though the correct syntax may be "Intch es anum" - not "Intches anum," if one should be grammatically correct; the "degenerate" interrogative form is relatively common in languages, when spoken.

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
            secondly in the Eastern dialect the present simple and
            present continuous tenses are the same and one can be distinguished
            from the other inside the context or by simply adding certain adverbs
            such as the following; " inches anum?" "girk em kartum, hima." "utumem arayjms", etc.
            Using temporal adverbs or "paraphrasing" - what I usually do - is not a solution, but only a workaround that works sometimes; in fact
            1. Both "I am exercising" - for instance, as a recurrent activity - and "I am exercising, now" are valid and have different meanings and a temporal adverb is already used in the latter
            2. "I swim, now" - i.e. I did not in the past, but I do now - does not mean "I am swimming;" using temporal adverbs when translating would confuse the two
            There are many such examples and some are real subtle and/or complicated. Furthermore, It becomes more complicated and subtle when the action happens - or is happening - in the past or the future.

I have a certain "bias" against "gor" and I do a lot of effort to avoid using it; however, I can't deny that it's existence is legitimate and reflects a serious shortcoming of the Armenian language - that was solved in spoken Western Armenian with the usage of "gor." Armenian grammarians and linguists, instead of criticizing and snubbing the usage of "gor," should maybe work on a solution; as they are responsible for the situation. A simple solution - as it is in French - may be found.
            Last edited by Siamanto; 10-06-2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I think the continuous is well defined in Eastern:

I am going (pres cont) - Yes gnum em
              I was going (past cont) - Yes gnum ei
              I will be going (future cont) - Yes gnalu em as opposed to Yes kgnam (simple future) which is I will go.
              I would have been going (weird cont) - Yes gnalu ei

So, maybe the continuous in not defined in Western, because the -um suffix is not used in Western? So, to distinguish the future continuous from simple future tense, the Western Armenian adds "gor". I don't know, is this right?

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper View Post
                I think the continuous is well defined in Eastern:

I am going (pres cont) - Yes gnum em
                I was going (past cont) - Yes gnum ei
                I will be going (future cont) - Yes gnalu em as opposed to Yes kgnam (simple future) which is I will go.
                I would have been going (weird cont) - Yes gnalu ei
                I'm afraid that the above does not answer the simple question raised earlier: How do you distinguish, in Eastern Armenian, between "I go" and "I am going?" In case, you'll suggest to use temporal adverbs, please refer to my reply to Lucin. Thanks.

Originally posted by karoaper View Post
                So, maybe the continuous in not defined in Western, because the -um suffix is not used in Western? So, to distinguish the future continuous from simple future tense, the Western Armenian adds "gor". I don't know, is this right?
                Yes, as mentioned above, the continuous form does not exist in Western Armenian and the usage of "gor" seems to be a solution in the spoken language. However, according to some - including Armenian Verbs or Verbs in Eastern Armenian - the form that you have suggested above is not the continuous form??? In other words, some seem to think that "um" does not indicate the continuous form????
                Last edited by Siamanto; 10-06-2007, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Though the correct syntax may be "Intch es anum" - not "Intches anum," if one should be grammatically correct; the "degenerate" interrogative form is relatively common in languages, when spoken.

Iharke, the correct syntax should be "inch es anum?", and this is uniquely the written form of the verbs. But, as a rule, verbs must be pronounced attached (inches anum?) when spoken or when an article, a text (or anything) is being read.

Using temporal adverbs or "paraphrasing" - what I usually do - is not a solution, but only a workaround that works sometimes; in fact
                  1. Both "I am exercising" - for instance, as a recurrent activity - and "I am exercising, now" are valid and have different meanings and a temporal adverb is already used in the latter
                  2. "I swim, now" - i.e. I did not in the past, but I do now - does not mean "I am swimming;" using temporal adverbs when translating would confuse the two

Yes, unfortunately it just works sometimes and mainly in the present continuous tense with certain verbs. The progressive meaning is mainly indicated by the context in the Eastern dialect.
                  As for what Karo said; "Yes gnum em" can mean "I am going" as well as "I go" and the "-um" in "gnum" cannot indicate the continuous tense; as it's the same in the present simple.( It's the infinitif "gnal" which has been tranformed into "gnum" in conjugation.)

There are many such examples and some are real subtle and/or complicated. Furthermore, It becomes more complicated and subtle when the action happens - or is happening - in the past or the future.

For the future continuous, again we do have problems ( as you said). Karoaper said; I will be going= Yes gnalu em, but again it does not work with quite a lot of verbs, and we tend to use more, the future simple instead.

Apparently, the future continuous form does not exist in French either.( As there are only two main future tenses.)

I have a certain "bias" against "gor" and I do a lot of effort to avoid using it; however, I can't deny that it's existence is legitimate and reflects a serious shortcoming of the Armenian language - that was solved in spoken Western Armenian with the usage of "gor." Armenian grammarians and linguists, instead of criticizing and snubbing the usage of "gor," should maybe work on a solution; as they are responsible for the situation.

It might not be a big issue for us but it'd definitely be an impediment for our translators.

A simple solution - as it is in French - may be found.

Etre en train de...?? Again it is not a seperate tense as in English, it's more like a made-up formula. And at times, the simple future is used instead.
                  I was a bit underestimating English ( compared to some other languages) but its grammar seems pretty subtle, detailed and complete, at least when it comes to verb tenses.
                  Last edited by Lucin; 10-07-2007, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Yeah, we indeed do have the same form for present continuous and the present indefinite.

I think that's the only confusion though. The situation with other continuous forms is unambiguous. I'd say that since we have the past continuous and the future continuous, as I had mentioned in the previous post, the form "-um em" is primarily for the present continuous tense.

Lucin jan, you mentioned that the future continuous doesn't work with many verbs. I just woke up but I can't think of one. Can't you just add the "-elu em" to any verb?
                    Last edited by karoaper; 10-07-2007, 10:59 AM.

Comment

The ''eastern dialect'' has the correct pronouncing and the ''western dialect'' the correct spelling.

Comment

Working...
                      X