Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Are Armenian women handicapped because of their upbringing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Are Armenian women handicapped because of their upbringing?

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
    Yes, but I'd rather say 'tolerant' than 'accepting', with a slight nuance.
    Very slight because I didn't mean accepting in a way at all approaching the welcoming end of the spectrum, but yes, tolerant is probably the better word choice.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I was thinking of the burqa as well while I was reading what Mos proposed . I do not have a like for those types of women that prance around that way as well but a law to enforce clothing? That is excessive and will not pass in a country like Armenia. Let them choose what they wear, it will be their loss. Armenian society views these women as wh0re-ish so if they want to have a chance to find a partner in that society, they'll choose what they wear much more wisely.
      Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Even though society might be more accepting of that type of dress generally, the fact that someone dresses that way reveals something about the individual as well. Although, I think what Mos is proposing is an extreme.
      Quoted for truth.
      Last edited by Federate; 08-29-2009, 09:04 AM.
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
        Armenia should pass law to require women to cover their chests and have covered till their knees. Now in Yerevan women dress like there is no tomorrow, no respect for their families, their name. In 90's it was not as bad. It is really of concern to me what is happening to families and especially women. Respect for women is going down. Our women should know their place and not get out of hand. It is all the stupid Europe influence. Instead of all these Armani stores and not to mention the Canali store opening up on Tumanian, we have more importantly emphasize education, religion, and family. Without this, Armenian race will go down bad path.
        Respect for Armenian men is going down when people read crap like this.

Comment

Mos...if thats your suggestion, meh it sounds so redneckish if so here is the vision of the future as per your plan :

Great for the race huh (and btw Armenians = ethnicity, not race)

Comment

Laveli. Go and see what Yerevan is turning into slowly and slowly. very depressing. People have no respect for women and just view them as tools, and these thoughts are made more by the way the women are dressing and behaving (not all of course, but more and more young females are doing so). I don't give a sh!t what women do in Europe, US, or Russia, but I do care how our women are in Armenia. There should be some decency so we can keep the name of Armenians high. I don't understand what is so appealing of American and European culture? Not only that, but respect for parents, respect for authority is going down as well, which I am sad to realize. I don't want to say this for all Armenian females. I have met many Armenian females in Armenia which don't have this mentality and are great people with a respectful and modest (համեստ) attitude. They are not փչացած like some others. Those are the type of females that need to be in Yerevan, unfortunately they are on the decline. Many of these better females are more disciplined by their family and thus will wear more modest clothes and have modest personality. family is most important thing because with strong family relationship and teaching armenian women will be better suited.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
              Laveli. Go and see what Yerevan is turning into slowly and slowly. very depressing. People have no respect for women and just view them as tools, and these thoughts are made more by the way the women are dressing and behaving (not all of course, but more and more young females are doing so). I don't give a sh!t what women do in Europe, US, or Russia, but I do care how our women are in Armenia. There should be some decency so we can keep the name of Armenians high. I don't understand what is so appealing of American and European culture? Not only that, but respect for parents, respect for authority is going down as well, which I am sad to realize. I don't want to say this for all Armenian females. I have met many Armenian females in Armenia which don't have this mentality and are great people with a respectful and modest (համեստ) attitude. They are not փչացած like some others. Those are the type of females that need to be in Yerevan, unfortunately they are on the decline. Many of these better females are more disciplined by their family and thus will wear more modest clothes and have modest personality. family is most important thing because with strong family relationship and teaching armenian women will be better suited.
              Mos, I saw months ago on youtube, how some Armenian young girls were burying the apples; meaning about women's virginity. I didn't care whatsoever to their behaviour either. They are in a way trying to become more Europeanised and Westernized and that's not necessarily better. I am not saying that they should be beaten up, taken advantage of nor abused. Not at all; but for the sake of Armenian ethics and mores, it is not a good thing what they were doing for publicly putting the apples in the ground and burying them by saying that girls can lose their virginity and bla bla bla. I believe that Armenian girls should maintain their good names, their good morals and their good ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                Mos, I saw months ago on youtube, how some Armenian young girls were burying the apples; meaning about women's virginity. I didn't care whatsoever to their behaviour either. They are in a way trying to become more Europeanised and Westernized and that's not necessarily better. I am not saying that they should be beaten up, taken advantage of nor abused. Not at all; but for the sake of Armenian ethics and mores, it is not a good thing what they were doing for publicly putting the apples in the ground and burying them by saying that girls can lose their virginity and bla bla bla. I believe that Armenian girls should maintain their good names, their good morals and their good ethics.
                How did not abusing women to "keep them in line" come to virginity again.
                Anoush, are you saying that if an Armenian woman isn't a virgin then she doesn't have good morals, good ethics, or a good name?
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

omg what is wrong with u,armenia generaly have to move on people that think like that do only harm,they can have there own opinion but they must know that other have the right to do what ever they wont and give no xxxx to them.
                  Lets talk Mos about they most ugly hearcut that yerevans male population got.or the xxxx up mentality.Most of them migrating lets say Cyprus or Greece and POP suddenly they are same people as greeks only that they were really pointy shoes.

Siggie revision (not sure how much this helps, but couldn't resist...)

OMG. What is wrong with you? Armenia generally has to move on. People that think like that only do harm. They can have their own opinion, but they must know that others have a right to do what ever they want.

Mos, let's talk about the ugliest haircut that Yerevantsi men have or the messed up mentality. Most of them are migrating (? maybe meant visiting) to Cyprus or Greece and suddenly they are the same people as Greeks, only they wear really pointy shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    How did not abusing women to "keep them in line" come to virginity again.
                    Anoush, are you saying that if an Armenian woman isn't a virgin then she doesn't have good morals, good ethics, or a good name?
                    Siggie, you are talking about two different things here. Of course women mustn't be abused and any man who raises a hand on a woman or his child must be put in jail and I am glad that they have institutions in Armenia that is addressing domestic abuse cases. In my opinion they should have done this a long time ago. I also don't agree for the sayings that it is to "keep them in line". How would men feel if we beat the hell out of them to "keep them in line"? They wouldn't and so neither do we.

Now about virginity; I am not suggesting that young girls must or mustn't be virgins before marrying. It's the individual girls' business and I respect that. What I am merely saying is that publicly and on the youtube putting the apple in the soil and telling everyone that girls should not be virgins is not appropriate behaviour. They are announcing it to the world that they don't wish to be virgins. Personally I don't find that appropriate behaviour. They must have a lot of nerve to do that, in my opinion. This was the only thing that I found not appropriate, by announcing publicly that they don't wish to keep their virginity. It is the individual's business and unnecessary and not appropriate to announce it to the public.

Plus any man cannot judge any woman or any girl because of the clothes she is wearing. If a girl or a woman is wearing a mini-skirt or a bit low cut dress; well that's her business. Any man, even an Armenian man mustn't judge a girl because she is wearing a bit low cut dress or a mini skirt. In today's world, I don't see anything wrong with that. We are not living in the old ages that women have to be fully clothed now. I think that most Armenian men in RA must watch themselves that after they get married they don't abuse their spouses or their children, they don't become drunken often and they don't go and womanize and leave their wives alone at home. Personally, I believe that most Armenian men are the problems in our homeland than the Armenian women. This I happen to know it well.
                    Last edited by Anoush; 08-29-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Siggie, you are talking about two different things here. Of course women mustn't be abused and any man who raises a hand on a woman or his child must be put in jail and I am glad that they have institutions in Armenia that is addressing domestic abuse cases. In my opinion they should have done this a long time ago. I also don't agree for the sayings that it is to "keep them in line". How would men feel if we beat the hell out of them to "keep them in line"? They wouldn't and so neither do we.
                      Yeah, we were talking about abuse, but you brought up burying apples.

Now about virginity; I am not suggesting that young girls must or mustn't be virgins before marrying. It's the individual girls' business and I respect that. What I am merely saying is that publicly and on the youtube putting the apple in the soil and telling everyone that girls should not be virgins is not appropriate behaviour. They are announcing it to the world that they don't wish to be virgins. Personally I don't find that appropriate behaviour. They must have a lot of nerve to do that, in my opinion. This was the only thing that I found not appropriate, by announcing publicly that they don't wish to keep their virginity. It is the individual's business and unnecessary and not appropriate to announce it to the public.
                      I don't think that's what they were saying. They could be protesting the double standard and the archaic and, in my opinion, embarrassing tradition with the sheets and apples. I think that's the message more than the "We don't want to be virgins" that you're claiming.

Plus any man cannot judge any woman or any girl because of the clothes she is wearing. If a girl or a woman is wearing a mini-skirt or a bit low cut dress; well that's her business. Any man, even an Armenian man mustn't judge a girl because she is wearing a bit low cut dress or a mini skirt. In today's world, I don't see anything wrong with that. We are not living in the old ages that women have to be fully clothed now..
                      I disagree with you here too. I think we can and we do judge people based on their clothing/appearance all the time. You're right we do live in an age where women can dress like that. That is their choice, but they will be judged on what they wear regardless.

Comment

Working...
                      X