Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Hi, I am new here...my name is Ashot Harutyunyan and I live in Ecuador, I am part of the little, tiny, minuscule Armenian community in the Andean States of SouthAmerica.

I want to learn Armenian, Easter Armenian specially because I am planning to go to live there once I finished my college studies. I know some Armenian, general grammar, vocabulary...the alphabet, I read fluently and I understand roughly 20% of what I hear on videos and stuff...but I want to know more!

I have tried learning in the internet and what I can remember from leanring witth my family, but I would like to learn from people who actually know the language, and can give me a fully explanation of it

I would like you to please help me. I'd be really thankful since I am very connected to my roots, and I would love to speak the language...which is the only thing missing u.u

So can I do my first question?

Ok, I am dying to know this I have seen the endings after the hyphen Armenian language uses in numbers (i.e. 22-ին, 14:00-ին, 25-ին, which I know are for forming dates and stuff), and I have also seen there is other endings for, for example, forming numerals (for example 21st, 2nd, 3rd)...I have tried to deduce but I not sure if I am right, which I think I am...

so can someone explain to me how this works? what do those endings stand for? what do they mean? what is the use? how can i use them? and home many of those are?

thank you
    apres ënker!
    Last edited by ashot24; 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM.

Re: Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Բարի գալուստ Աշոտ ջան։

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Armenian_language this should be pretty helpful. To answer your question, 22-ին, 14:00-ին, 25-ին all refer to the time/date. It translates to "at 22, at 14:00, at 25". The -ին ending is genitive-dative.
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

շատ շատ շնորհակալություն, ընկեր ջան

I have read both articles on Wikipedia, as well as a thousand more
      one question, the ending -in also applies for, for example, if I want to say "At Sahak's house" = Սահակի տունին/տանին

because I understood there's special endings to say "at...." "with...." "in the...." and they vary according to the word, am i right?

Comment

Hola mi paisano, que tal?
        Yo no soy Armenio, soy Mexicano, pero Hayeren sovoroum em,

Yo uso : http://armeniapedia.org/index.php?ti...nguage_Lessons

Todo gramatica Hayeren aqui

Comment

Originally posted by ashot24 View Post

I have read both articles on Wikipedia, as well as a thousand more
          one question, the ending -in also applies for, for example, if I want to say "At Sahak's house" = Սահակի տունին/տանին

because I understood there's special endings to say "at...." "with...." "in the...." and they vary according to the word, am i right?
          Բարեւ Աշոտ

It may vary depending on what you're saying in the rest of the sentence. It gets tricky to translate from English. Like if you were saying there are mice in Sahak's house (lol) It would be Սահակի տունի մեջ մուկ կայ. But if you're saying "I was at Sahak's house", Սահակի տունում էի.

With "with" it's not universal. With a person you would say Sahaki het but for non person you use the ending -ov. I did it with your help would be ko oknutyunov aretsi.

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo View Post
          Hayeren em sovoroum.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo View Post
            Hola mi paisano, que tal?

Yo uso : http://armeniapedia.org/index.php?ti...nguage_Lessons

Todo gramatica Hayeren aqui
            Si, he imprimido todas las paginas hasta hacerme un pequeño libro todo lo que se es en parte sacado de alli junto con las clases de Armenio en http://www.learnarmenian.com y otra lista de paginas

Gracias paisano!

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
            Բարեւ Աշոտ

It may vary depending on what you're saying in the rest of the sentence. It gets tricky to translate from English. Like if you were saying there are mice in Sahak's house (lol) It would be Սահակի տունի մեջ մուկ կայ. But if you're saying "I was at Sahak's house", Սահակի տունում էի.

With "with" it's not universal. With a person you would say Sahaki het but for non person you use the ending -ov. I did it with your help would be ko oknutyunov aretsi.

Hayeren em sovoroum.
            Barev Siggie...hum, a question, "There are mice in Sahak's house"...as I have studied you could say «Սահակի տանը կան մկներ» or «Կան մկներ Սահակի տանը» is this right??? Oh thank you for the explanation with "with" that was really helpful...

Ohh yeah, the ending -ից is to expresse "From..." right? for example if I say «Անուշի տանից» I am saying "From Anush's house", or «Անուշի համալսարանից» "From Anush's university"...right?

Oh and sorry for bothering you guys so much, I got one last question for this first "lesson"....ok I understand the use of some of the punctuation marks, most of them...but I have trouble understanding how to use these:

1. ՝ (the short stop)
            2. ՛ (the interjection sign)

How do they work? What are they for? How do I use them?

Please, this is seriously the last thing for some time

Thank you all very very much

Comment

Barev Siggie...hum, a question, "There are mice in Sahak's house"...as I have studied you could say «Սահակի տանը կան մկներ» or «Կան մկներ Սահակի տանը» is this right??? Oh thank you for the explanation with "with" that was really helpful...
              Actually how you say is more correct grammatically rather than saying "տունի մէջ".

Ohh yeah, the ending -ից is to expresse "From..." right? for example if I say «Անուշի տանից» I am saying "From Anush's house", or «Անուշի համալսարանից» "From Anush's university"...right?
              It should be «Անուշի տնից».

Oh and sorry for bothering you guys so much, I got one last question for this first "lesson"....ok I understand the use of some of the punctuation marks, most of them...but I have trouble understanding how to use these:

1. ՝ (the short stop)

While «բութ» ՝ is being used widely «շեշտ » ՛does not have a wide usage and is rare. I will try to explain them by examples:

- Բութ ՝ can be used when you try to find another equivalent name/ term for your word/ expression. Ex. Ընկերս՝ Արան./ Արան՝ մեր հարեւանի տղան. / Այսօր՝ սեպտ 17-ին.

- Բութ ՝ used to give further explanation or enumeration of an idea hinted previously . Ex. Այսինքն՝ կարդալ ուշադրութեամբ. / Պէտք է նկատի առնել երկու կէտ՝ սա եւ սա.

-Բութ ՝ can also be used to make a short pause. This is where we have a wide usage of this mark. Ex. Ինչ էլ անես՝ նա չի գայ. / Փոխանցիր իմ ողջոյնները՝ Արային:

«Շեշտ» ՛ is one of those marks which is being used very rarely. As you may know, the verb «շեշտել» in Armenian means to put emphasis on, and that's what the mark is for; to accentuate and emphasize further.

Ex. Օգնութիւնը եղել է՝ թէ՛ տնտեսական եւ թէ՛ ռազմական:

Armenian punctuation is a bit complicated, I don't think I have missed anything but hope this helps a bit.
              Last edited by Lucin; 09-17-2009, 04:11 AM.

Comment

1. ՝ (the short stop)

Don't worry about asking questions! It's totally fine and you're even helping others who may benefit from hearing the answers to your questions as well.

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                Actually how you say is more correct grammatically rather than saying "տունի մէջ".

Yeah, you're right. I probably didn't pick the best example for the -ի ending, but isn't it «Սահակի տունը մուկ կայ» or is that just conversational?
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                  While «բութ» ՝ is being used widely «շեշտ » ՛does not have a wide usage and is rare. I will try to explain them by examples:

- Բութ ՝ can be used when you try to find another equivalent name/ term for your word/ expression. Ex. Ընկերս՝ Արան./ Արան՝ մեր հարեւանի տղան. / Այսօր՝ սեպտ 17-ին.

- Բութ ՝ used to give further explanation or enumeration of an idea hinted previously . Ex. Այսինքն՝ կարդալ ուշադրութեամբ. / Պէտք է նկատի առնել երկու կէտ՝ սա եւ սա.

-Բութ ՝ can also be used to make a short pause. This is where we have a wide usage of this mark. Ex. Ինչ էլ անես՝ նա չի գայ. / Փոխանցիր իմ ողջոյնները՝ Արային:

«Շեշտ» ՛ is one of those marks which is being used very rarely. As you may know, the verb «շեշտել» in Armenian means to put emphasis on, and that's what the mark is for; to accentuate and emphasize further.

Ex. Օգնութիւնը եղել է՝ թէ՛ տնտեսական եւ թէ՛ ռազմական:

Armenian punctuation is a bit complicated, I don't think I have missed anything but hope this helps a bit.
                  Shat mersi Lucin jan! you have really really helped me a lot I just need more and more practise to do it right thanks a lot

Now i would like to do more questions, just a few

OK, well the expression "Akhper jan" is similar to "Ënker jan"? I found it means like "hey man" or "hey friend", but I am not sure...are they similar? what does it mean? oh oh yes...and I have a bit of a confusion...how is it written? I have found a lot of ways and I don't know what is the right one....so far I think the correct is = Ախպեր ջան....but I have found also Ախբեր ջան, Աղբեր ջան (which I am 90% sure is incorrect, I know "aghb" means something else)

Secondly , well just a quick question...I know "jan" means "dear" and stuff (I have even read it means "body")...but I read somewhere that the expression is also used to express like emotion or excitement....much like for example "Yay! Yeah!"....is this true?

3rd. How does dates are pronounced? For example if I want to say May 28, 1918 Mayis Q'ssanut' (I know this) and the year I say Hazar inn haryur tasnut'? Or does it have a quicker way to be said? like in english we separate 19/18 to say it by two different numbers

And finally, but not for that less important, I know that at the beginning of words if you have two consonants like for example "Խնձոր" i have to pronounce the "ը" inbetween the two consonants....but in words that have two consonants together and they are not at the beggining, but in the middle (I don't remember words like this) or at the end like in "ծնունդ" they are meant to be pronounced just like that? because I found it quite difficult to do that if I don't have a vowel next to the word.....is there a rule for those situations?

Thank for all your answers in these past days, now and in the future you are really helping me a lot I know Siggie (and thank you for that) told me to don't worry about a lot of questions, but I can't help feeling some

Thanks to Lucin and to Siggie!!! I really wait to read the answers and satisfy my desire of Armenian language knowledge! Thanks!

Comment

Shat mersi Lucin jan! you have really really helped me a lot I just need more and more practise to do it right thanks a lot
                    You're welcome. By asking interesting and meticulous questions you're doing a favour to a lot of people here including myself, as I have to try remembering certain grammatical notions/ rules and analyze what I've been using naturally without giving it much thought.

OK, well the expression "Akhper jan" is similar to "Ënker jan"? I found it means like "hey man" or "hey friend", but I am not sure...are they similar? what does it mean? oh oh yes...and I have a bit of a confusion...
                    "Akhper" literally means brother in Armenian so "akhper jan" is a term of endearment and rapprochement used in informal conversations. In English it could also be translated into hey man or friend as you say or 'hey bro'. it's a common expression used in Armenia. I wouldn't recommend you using it with the elderly.

how is it written? I have found a lot of ways and I don't know what is the right one....so far I think the correct is = Ախպեր ջան....but I have found also Ախբեր ջան, Աղբեր ջան (which I am 90% sure is incorrect, I know "aghb" means something else)
                    Yea, you're right. It should be "Ախպեր ջան" or "Ախպէր ջան" in Mesropian orthography. And "աղբ" means garbage.

Secondly , well just a quick question...I know "jan" means "dear" and stuff (I have even read it means "body")...but I read somewhere that the expression is also used to express like emotion or excitement....much like for example "Yay! Yeah!"....is this true?
                    I haven't heard of or used it in that sense.

In informal Armenian "jan" is also referred to body (besides the term of endearment) for which we have the proper word "մարմին".

3rd. How does dates are pronounced? For example if I want to say May 28, 1918 Mayis Q'ssanut' (I know this) and the year I say Hazar inn haryur tasnut'? Or does it have a quicker way to be said? like in english we separate 19/18 to say it by two different numbers
                    You said it correctly. However when put in a context, you'd rather say մայիս 28, 1918-ին.

And finally, but not for that less important, I know that at the beginning of words if you have two consonants like for example "Խնձոր" i have to pronounce the "ը" inbetween the two consonants....but in words that have two consonants together and they are not at the beggining, but in the middle (I don't remember words like this) or at the end like in "ծնունդ" they are meant to be pronounced just like that? because I found it quite difficult to do that if I don't have a vowel next to the word.....is there a rule for those situations?
                    I can think of the verb "ընդգրկել" for instance, you see three consonants in a row but if you notice the word is made of three syllables so we'd say [ընդ]- [գըր]- [կել] on the other hand, "ծնունդ" has two syllables so it's like [ծը]- [նունդ] each syllable contains the one vowel needed. The word "արկղ" has one syllable and it's pronounced just as it's written [արկղ]. So you just need to divide it into syllables and then find out how to pronounce, as you see if the word is finished by two consecutive consonants, you just put them in one syllable with the last vowel.

Just carry on the good work. Being a big fan of learning languages and linguistics myself, I believe you're also a good learner of languages, judging from the way you analyze different grammatical concepts.

Բարեւ Աշոտ

Actually, with words expressing abstract 'ideas', non-objects, we usually add the –եամբ suffix (most of the time for words ending in -ութիւն or -ություն common in Hayastan.) So it should be քո օգնութեամբ. Whereas in case of objects, we usually use –ով like մատիտով , հեռախօսով...

Yeah, you're right. I probably didn't pick the best example for the -ի ending, but isn't it «Սահակի տունը մուկ կայ» or is that just conversational?
                    No Sig jan, it's the wrong way we say in our conversations. It should be «Սահակի տանը մուկ կայ». But we should say for instance, « Սահակի տունը սիրուն է:» See the difference?
                    Last edited by Lucin; 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X