Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Originally posted by ashot24 View Post
    Tu
    Io parlo armeno, persiano, francese, inglese correntemente, e un po italiano e arabo.

Ok thanks Lucin, that helps a lot...sorry for the unknowledge
    Vochinch Ashot jan. No need to be sorry, we as 'native-speakers' make tons of mistakes of different nature in our conversations on a daily basis.

Շարունակիր աշխատանքդ եւ հարցումներդ հարցրու, քանի որ շատ տեղին են:
    Last edited by Lucin; 09-21-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
      Io parlo armeno, persiano, francese, inglese correntemente, e un po italiano e arabo.
      Sorprendente

Vochinch Ashot jan. No need to be sorry, we as 'native-speakers' make tons of mistakes of different nature in our conversations on a daily basis.

Շարունակիր աշխատանքդ եւ հարցումներդ հարցրու, քանի որ շատ տեղին են:
      OK Lucin jan, thank you

Well, as for your message, I think I understand what you say but I really am confused on how it is written...well, first let me try to tell you if I am right in my translation:

"Continue the job and the inquiring-asking" and the other part I know I am wrong but I understand it like "as very much by the way"...I am wrong don't I?

Could you please explain me the grammar here? I really am confused with this and also could you please translate it the right way? Oh yes, and this little questions:

Does adding -դ at the end of an action has any particular meaning?
      "Քանի որ"...what does this means, because as I knew it means "as"?

And finally this word "տեղին", according to the dictionary means "by the way" or "duly", but I guess in the sentences means something else, right?

Oh and I had some little questions about songs if you wouldn't mind answering them what does "Քանի վուր" means? Like the Sayat Nova song "Qani vur jan im"...
      oh and what does "Կեցցե" means? Like in "Gini Lits'" when its sung "Kets'e: Hayots' hamarvorë" and finally what does "Gini Lits'" mean ...I know "Gini" means "whine", but "Lits'"??

Now I've asked a lot of questions...
      Thanks Lucin, oh and by the way SHNORHAVOR AKAKHUTYUN ORË

Comment

Sorprendente
        Perché?

Well, as for your message, I think I understand what you say but I really am confused on how it is written...well, first let me try to tell you if I am right in my translation:

"Continue the job and the inquiring-asking" and the other part I know I am wrong but I understand it like "as very much by the way"...I am wrong don't I?

Could you please explain me the grammar here? I really am confused with this and also could you please translate it the right way? Oh yes, and this little questions:
        You are more or less right. In the first part, if we translate word for word it'd be; continue your work and ask your questions since they are duely or justified.

Does adding -դ at the end of an action has any particular meaning?
        It shows the 'belonging', your...

"Քանի որ"...what does this means, because as I knew it means "as"?
        Yes, 'as' or 'since'.

And finally this word "տեղին", according to the dictionary means "by the way" or "duly", but I guess in the sentences means something else, right?
        Duely would be closer. "By the way" would be "իմիջայլոց".

Oh and I had some little questions about songs if you wouldn't mind answering them what does "Քանի վուր" means? Like the Sayat Nova song "Qani vur jan im"...
        Yea I know that song. Can you remember the before and after? That'd make it easier. Sayat Nova is influenced heavily by Persian so it makes it a bit hard to understand him.

oh and what does "Կեցցե" means?
        It's an expression of 'compliment'. So it could be like 'bravo'.

Like in "Gini Lits'" when its sung "Kets'e: Hayots' hamarvorë" and finally what does "Gini Lits'" mean ...I know "Gini" means "whine", but "Lits'"??
        'լից' as an adjective comes from the verb լեցնել /լցնել meaning 'to pour', so
        'լից' would be 'full of'.

Thanks Lucin, oh and by the way SHNORHAVOR AKAKHUTYUN ORË
        Շնորհաւոր անկախութեան օրը:

Comment

Perché?
          Perché è bello sapere molte lingue

Yea I know that song. Can you remember the before and after? That'd make it easier. Sayat Nova is influenced heavily by Persian so it makes it a bit hard to understand him.
          Ok, here is the lyrics

Քանի վուր ջան իմ, եա՛ր, քի ղուրբան իմ, աբա ի՞նչ անիմ,
          Արտասուք հանիմ, շատ հոգուց հանիմ,- եա՛ր, ղադէդ տանիմ:

Հագիլ իս ատլաս, թուրլու զար ու խաս՝ սելբու դալ բովուն,
          Ձեռիդ ունիս թաս, լըցնիս ինձի տաս՝ ղուրսան իմ քովուն:

Թաք դուն բաղչէն գաս՝ անիս մասնէ մաս քու Սայեաթ Նովուն,
          Մո՛ւտ բաղչէն նազով, քիզ գովիմ սազով, եա՛ր, իլթիմազով:

It's really a beatiful song
          Oh and I wanted to ask you something...have you got the lyrics for some Dashnaktsakan yerger? And if you have them, do you have around them the lyrics for "Drosh Yeraguyn"?

Thanks for all Lucin

Շնորհաւոր անկախութեան օրը:
          Oh did I say it wrong?

Comment

Perché è bello sapere molte lingue
            Tante grazie.

Ok, here is the lyrics

Քանի վուր ջան իմ, եա՛ր, քի ղուրբան իմ, աբա ի՞նչ անիմ,
            Արտասուք հանիմ, շատ հոգուց հանիմ,- եա՛ր, ղադէդ տանիմ:

Հագիլ իս ատլաս, թուրլու զար ու խաս՝ սելբու դալ բովուն,
            Ձեռիդ ունիս թաս, լըցնիս ինձի տաս՝ ղուրսան իմ քովուն:

Թաք դուն բաղչէն գաս՝ անիս մասնէ մաս քու Սայեաթ Նովուն,
            Մո՛ւտ բաղչէն նազով, քիզ գովիմ սազով, եա՛ր, իլթիմազով:

It's really a beatiful song
            Yea it's beautiful. I like most of Sayat Nova's works and his unique style. OK, "Քանի վուր ջան իմ", could mean here "as long as I'm alive". So add 'as long as' to the other meanings of "Քանի որ". "ջան իմ", is "ջան ունեմ", "սաղ եմ" in standard Armenian. So "ջան" would be like a metaphor here.

As expected, I can see quite some Persian words in this excerpt.

Oh and I wanted to ask you something...have you got the lyrics for some Dashnaktsakan yerger? And if you have them, do you have around them the lyrics for "Drosh Yeraguyn"?
            I have a number of dashnaktsakan song's lyrics. I don't know exactly which is 'Drosh Yeraguyn'. Is it the "Aryunot Drosh"?

Oh did I say it wrong?
            Չէ, ճիշտ ասեցիր:
            Last edited by Lucin; 09-24-2009, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Yea it's beautiful. I like most of Sayat Nova's works and his unique style. OK, "Քանի վուր ջան իմ", could mean here "as long as I'm alive". So add 'as long as' to the other meanings of "Քանի որ". "ջան իմ", is "ջան ունեմ", "սաղ եմ" in standard Armenian. So "ջան" would be like a metaphor here.

As expected, I can see quite some Persian words in this excerpt.
              Thanks a lot !!! Wow so that is why I couldn't find some words on dictionaries

I have a number of dashnaktsakan song's lyrics. I don't know exactly which is 'Drosh Yeraguyn'. Is it the "Aryunot Drosh"?
              I've heard that one I have the lyrics for that song But I mean this song:

I haven't been able to find it

Hey Lucin jan! Thank you for everything!!! Is there something I can do for you?? Or a question(s) that I may be able to answer and help you as you did?

Comment

Yea it's beautiful. I like most of Sayat Nova's works and his unique style

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Thanks a lot !!! Wow so that is why I couldn't find some words on dictionaries
                  Yes, for understanding Sayat Nova, other than mastering the Armenian language, one has to know quite some Persian words as well.

I've heard that one I have the lyrics for that song But I mean this song:

I haven't been able to find it
                  Sorry, I don't have that one. But I have the 'Gini Lits'.

Hey Lucin jan! Thank you for everything!!! Is there something I can do for you?? Or a question(s) that I may be able to answer and help you as you did?
                  No problem. I'm glad this helps you really. Maybe when I start my Spanish, I'll come to you with tons of questions.

Wonderful! I think Nune Yesaian sings him best probably.

Comment

Yes, for understanding Sayat Nova, other than mastering the Armenian language, one has to know quite some Persian words as well.
                    Oh, so I guess I'll have to learn persian as well

Sorry, I don't have that one. But I have the 'Gini Lits'.
                    Thanks Lucin, I already have Gini Lits'...hope someday I can take the lyrics out myself

No problem. I'm glad this helps you really. Maybe when I start my Spanish, I'll come to you with tons of questions.
                    And I'll be more than happy to teach you

Wonderful! I think Nune Yesaian sings him best probably.
                    I agree, Nune honors those songs! Specially I love how she sings "Ashkharums imn dun is" and "Kamancha", besides "Kani vur jan im"

Hum, a little question? In the song "Kani vur jan im" (sorry I love that song ), at one of the final lines:

Թաք դուն բաղչէն գաս՝ անիս մասնէ մաս քու Սայեաթ Նովուն

Why does he says his name? Is he actually saying his name? Or is a reference to something else? I have always wondered that

---------------------------

Oh and something I am kinda ashamed of asking Lucin , I think personally that one of the things you've got to know of a language is the "swear words", "bad words" and so on...because, as I always say...if I am between friends in England and something falls on my feet, I am not gonna say "Oh that hurts!"

So...haha , could you please teach me the basic swear words on Armenian?

Hehe sorry for asking, I am red haha
                    Thanks for everything Lucin!

Comment

Oh, so I guess I'll have to learn persian as well
                      It's worth it 'cause it's beautiful.

I agree, Nune honors those songs! Specially I love how she sings "Ashkharums imn dun is" and "Kamancha", besides "Kani vur jan im"
                      Yea, she is amazing.

Hum, a little question? In the song "Kani vur jan im" (sorry I love that song ), at one of the final lines:

Թաք դուն բաղչէն գաս՝ անիս մասնէ մաս քու Սայեաթ Նովուն

Why does he says his name? Is he actually saying his name? Or is a reference to something else? I have always wondered that
                      This is a common techinque in Persian literature and poetry in particular; poets/ writers referring to themselves, adressing themselves and invoking kind of in the third person. Considering Sayat Nova has been heavily influenced by Persian culture and literature, this becomes understandable.

Oh and something I am kinda ashamed of asking Lucin , I think personally that one of the things you've got to know of a language is the "swear words", "bad words" and so on...because, as I always say...if I am between friends in England and something falls on my feet, I am not gonna say "Oh that hurts!"

So...haha , could you please teach me the basic swear words on Armenian?

Hehe sorry for asking, I am red haha
                      Thanks for everything Lucin!

Oh là là, I can't do that. Actually the insults thrown and used by women are usually different from that used by men. Even though I know them I do not use any

Maybe we can ask Mukuch in here to do the favour. Or just browse through his posts.

Comment

Working...
                      X