Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Originally posted by Federate View Post
    Academically, it does not since it's not what type of history but the history of what/who.
    Can you give example of when they are not interchangeable?
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

When you want to use an adjective, you use 'հայկական'. When you want to use possessive, you use 'հայոց'. Հայկական եկեղեցիներ is Armenian churches and Հայոց եկեղեցիներ is church of the Armenian people. While they sound similar, they are not the same.

Check Google hits on what is more correct for the example we used: Հայկական/Հայոց պատմություն. «Հայոց պատմություն» VS «Հայկական պատմություն»
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

When you want to use an adjective, you use 'հայկական'. When you want to use possessive, you use 'հայոց'. Հայկական եկեղեցիներ is Armenian churches and Հայոց եկեղեցիներ is church of the Armenian people. While they sound similar, they are not the same.

Check Google hits on what is more correct for the example we used: Հայկական/Հայոց պատմություն. «Հայոց պատմություն» VS «Հայկական պատմություն»

Ok thans man, i think i got it now.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Fed ftw

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
            I think you're translating to English and then it ends up as "Armenian" it both cases, making it sound like both are used as an adjective. I maintain still though that Hayots not an adjective, but rather, is possessive and more the equivalent of "of Armenians". Haykakan aybuben vs. Hayeri aybuben@. Hayots is like saying Hayeri.
            I see your point and it makes sense. I think the example of 'Hayots Patriarch' illustrates it better as a possessive. But if you notice 'possessive' is not a grammatical form so in the end it is an adjective again in its grammatical form.

Comment

Hello Lucin,

There is somethings I wanted to ask
              Ok, if we can use "-դ" at the end of things to express possesion of "You" (singular)....are there more endings to express possesion of the other pronouns?

Comment

The suffixes are as follows:

my - ս
                your - դ
                his/hers/their - ը or ն if the noun ends in a vowel
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by ashot24 View Post
                  Hello Lucin,

There is somethings I wanted to ask
                  Ok, if we can use "-դ" at the end of things to express possesion of "You" (singular)....are there more endings to express possesion of the other pronouns?
                  Let me go through this one by examples illlustrating different possibilities.

Իմ գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է: Մեր գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է:
                  Քո գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է: Ձեր գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է:
                  Նրա գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է: Նրանց գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է:

( Իմ) Գիրքս՝ սեղանի վրայ է: Մեր գիրքը՝ սեղանի վրայ է:
                  (Քո) Գիրքդ՝ սեղանի վրայ է: Ձեր գիրքը՝ սեղանի վրայ է:
                  (Նրա) Գիրքը՝ սեղանի վրայ է: Նրանց Գիրքը՝ սեղանի վրայ է:

Սա՝ իմ գիրքն է: Սա՝ մեր գիրքն է:
                  Սա՝ քո գիրքն է: Սա՝ ձեր գիրքն է:
                  Սա՝ նրա գիրքն է: Սա՝ նրանց գիրքն է:

- Now some commonly used 'exceptions':

Իմ տունը՝ սա է: (Or Սա՝ իմ տունն է: ) Իմ տան մէջ շուն կայ:

Սա մեր դուռն է: Մեր դռան առջեւ ծաղիկներ կան:

Note the transformation in above examples.

Is it clear?
                  Last edited by Lucin; 10-12-2009, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                    Let me go through this one by examples illlustrating different possibilities.

Իմ գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է: Մեր գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է:
                    Քո գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է: Ձեր գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է:
                    Նրա գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է: Նրանց գիրքը՝ կապոյտ է:

( Իմ) Գիրքս՝ սեղանի վրայ է: Մեր գիրքը՝ սեղանի վրայ է:
                    (Քո) Գիրքդ՝ սեղանի վրայ է: Ձեր գիրքը՝ սեղանի վրայ է:
                    (Նրա) Գիրքը՝ սեղանի վրայ է: Նրանց Գիրքը՝ սեղանի վրայ է:

Սա՝ իմ գիրքն է: Սա՝ մեր գիրքն է:
                    Սա՝ քո գիրքն է: Սա՝ ձեր գիրքն է:
                    Սա՝ նրա գիրքն է: Սա՝ նրանց գիրքն է:
                    That was completely clear Lucin jan, I couldn't ask for nothing more! Shat shat mersi e'nkeruhi jan!

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                    - Now some commonly used 'exceptions':

Իմ տունը՝ սա է: (Or Սա՝ իմ տունն է: ) Իմ տան մէջ շուն կայ:

Սա մեր դուռն է: Մեր դռան առջեւ ծաղիկներ կան:

Note the transformation in above examples.

Is it clear?
                    Now my next question has to do with this, I completely understand the sentences...but the transformation from տուն to տան, դուռ to դռա is something I've seen in a lot of words...for example Ashun, what is the name for this action? Is it something regular, like a rule, to change, erase the vowels? For example when we say "muk" and then to pluralize we change to "Mkner"...why?

Oh also, I wanted to ask some expressions
                    If we want to say Hi, we say "Barev"...is there another way? Because I've heard in videos that many Hayastants'iner say "Priviet" as in Russian...
                    Also, is there other way to say "Bye"? As well, I've heard Hayanstants'iner saying "Paka"...

I now I am missing something but I can't remember it lol, well thanks Lucin really you've helped me a lot!!!
                    Last edited by ashot24; 10-12-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ashot24 View Post
                      Now my next question has to do with this, I completely understand the sentences...but the transformation from տուն to տան, դուռ to դռա is something I've seen in a lot of words...for example Ashun, what is the name for this action? Is it something regular, like a rule, to change, erase the vowels? For example when we say "muk" and then to pluralize we change to "Mkner"...why?
                      We also do it with շուն - շան. I think these are just isolated cases like when we say հայոց and մարդոց. I have a list of these type of words (usually all single-syllable) if you're interested from the book "Beginner's Armenian".

Oh also, I wanted to ask some expressions
                      If we want to say Hi, we say "Barev"...is there another way? Because I've heard in videos that many Hayastants'iner say "Priviet" as in Russian...
                      Also, is there other way to say "Bye"? As well, I've heard Hayanstants'iner saying "Paka"...
                      I don't know about saying hello but there are numerous phrases for saying goodbye:

մնաք բարով - երթաք բարով
                      ցտեսութիւն
                      յաջողութիւն
                      բարի ճանապարհ (if going on a trip)

etc. I'm sure others can think of more.

Comment

Working...
                      X