Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
    I haven't seen this. Have you seen it written somewhere or you think you've just heard it? We have for instance -րդ as an ending for numbers.
    Yeah, I saw it like these:

"էդ տաբատը 20սմ կախը կարծեմ հատուկ տաբատներ են, դրա համար չեն ընկնում, ու տիպիկ ոճ ա ռեպերական քայլվածքով, շարժուձևով ջահելության համար:"

It is an article about Freddy Mercury and I wanted to look at the comments, because that's when a lot of common expressions/slang come out

Ashot, do you use any particular method for learning? How long have you been learning and how do you practice?
    Well, I follow a "method" (between great "") that I created. I don't even know to call it a method, but when it comes to learning things...you could say I am really slow. When I started to learn english I was like in 2nd course of highschool, I've had english all my life since here to know that language is a big deal, everything is in English...but I couldn't understand anything even when I was strictly taught...So I just dropped studying it the "normal way"...I started looking at things in English with a great patiente and a dictionary, asking questions to teachers, and not paying attention to grammar...unless there's a rule to memorize of how should I use a word or is stricly necessary for me to understand something.

Then practicing, like on the bus to school I see the sky and say to myself "Mi shat geghetsik or aysor e" or in any situation I think to myself a sentence and put in the language I wanted to learn. And that's how I did, I know it isn't even logical to recommend someone to do this, since it has been criticized by most people and linguists I've met...but I learnt English this way, Russian this way, some Italian and some German this way...so at least it works for me, practicing everyday at common situations trying to think how to say something right, looking at pages in that language, using a translator or a dictionary, listening to music or conversations or movies to get used to how it sounds. I practice everyday, at every situation where I know enough to express myself in short sentences, then I make them larger and so on...

I've made a great progress with Armenian, now when I read a full text I can know if not the meaning at least roughly about what it is, and I have to thank you and everybody who has helped me...I hope, and you could say I am impatient to do so, I can speak decently basic Armenian by the end of this year

Thanks Lucin very much, I know that sometimes I can ask things that are really like of logical thinking, or that you may come up easily...but I don't like to just argue what is the use of something unless I am totally sure, or guess it even if it is stupidly logical because I've had bad experiences with that.
    Last edited by ashot24; 10-22-2009, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Sometimes the best teacher in the world is yourself With self discipline comes self determination. If you have found a way of learning that works for you, that's all that matters.
      Last edited by KanadaHye; 10-22-2009, 05:43 AM.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by ashot24 View Post
        Yeah, I saw it like these:

"էդ տաբատը 20սմ կախը կարծեմ հատուկ տաբատներ են, դրա համար չեն ընկնում, ու տիպիկ ոճ ա ռեպերական քայլվածքով, շարժուձևով ջահելության համար:"

It is an article about Freddy Mercury and I wanted to look at the comments, because that's when a lot of common expressions/slang come out
        Oh yea it's like centimetres, սանտիմետր/ սմ (its abbreviation).

Well, I follow a "method" (between great "") that I created. I don't even know to call it a method, but when it comes to learning things...you could say I am really slow. When I started to learn english I was like in 2nd course of highschool, I've had english all my life since here to know that language is a big deal, everything is in English...but I couldn't understand anything even when I was strictly taught...So I just dropped studying it the "normal way"...I started looking at things in English with a great patiente and a dictionary, asking questions to teachers, and not paying attention to grammar...unless there's a rule to memorize of how should I use a word or is stricly necessary for me to understand something.

Then practicing, like on the bus to school I see the sky and say to myself "Mi shat geghetsik or aysor e" or in any situation I think to myself a sentence and put in the language I wanted to learn. And that's how I did, I know it isn't even logical to recommend someone to do this, since it has been criticized by most people and linguists I've met...but I learnt English this way, Russian this way, some Italian and some German this way...so at least it works for me, practicing everyday at common situations trying to think how to say something right, looking at pages in that language, using a translator or a dictionary, listening to music or conversations or movies to get used to how it sounds. I practice everyday, at every situation where I know enough to express myself in short sentences, then I make them larger and so on...
        That's great if it works for you but not everybody can learn that way. I meant do you use a book or any audio/video material?

I've made a great progress with Armenian, now when I read a full text I can know if not the meaning at least roughly about what it is, and I have to thank you and everybody who has helped me...I hope, and you could say I am impatient to do so, I can speak decently basic Armenian by the end of this year

Thanks Lucin very much, I know that sometimes I can ask things that are really like of logical thinking, or that you may come up easily...but I don't like to just argue what is the use of something unless I am totally sure, or guess it even if it is stupidly logical because I've had bad experiences with that.
        You're welcome. That's not what I meant. So far it's been great, none of your questions are stupid and as you can see some of them are quite challenging even for the 'native' speakers. Just keep up the good work and next time, try to ask the questions in Armenian.

Comment

That's great if it works for you but not everybody can learn that way. I meant do you use a book or any audio/video material?
          I know, my teachers have said it isn't supposed to be working, it shouldn't work...it's not possible it follows no logic, lol. Well for audio material I use songs, conversations on youtube videos, dialogues in movies (that of course have subtitles) and I just copy its sound and either ask here, or see if trying to write the sounds in the alphabet would give me any match if I put the word on Goggle. For video, movies, YouTube...that's pretty much it. Here all you can find is books to learn English, if you want to learn other languages you only have the options of German, French and Italian, and also Japanese and Arabic but they are all way to expensive for an average guy, or for any average mid-low class person. I pretty much use anything I can find on the internet, anything available and with no cost, I have seen there are wonderful CDs, DVDs and books to learn Armenian...but since I don't have a credit card...so I use all I can find and manage myself with that.

You're welcome. That's not what I meant. So far it's been great, none of your questions are stupid and as you can see some of them are quite challenging even for the 'native' speakers. Just keep up the good work and next time, try to ask the questions in Armenian.
          Լավ է, ես ջանալու եմ Լուզին ջան...շատ շնորհակալություն բոլորի համար.

I wanted just to ask something for today, sorry it's not in Armenian but I don't know that much yet to ask something like this...but I will try I promise

How do you know where to use the question mark when there is no question word? Do you put it where the stress is?

With the question I just got to "Inchpes gites vortegh...." and I don't know if it's even right...sorry

Thanks Lucin for all your help

Բարի գիշեր

Comment

I know, my teachers have said it isn't supposed to be working, it shouldn't work...it's not possible it follows no logic, lol. Well for audio material I use songs, conversations on youtube videos, dialogues in movies (that of course have subtitles) and I just copy its sound and either ask here, or see if trying to write the sounds in the alphabet would give me any match if I put the word on Goggle. For video, movies, YouTube...that's pretty much it. Here all you can find is books to learn English, if you want to learn other languages you only have the options of German, French and Italian, and also Japanese and Arabic but they are all way to expensive for an average guy, or for any average mid-low class person. I pretty much use anything I can find on the internet, anything available and with no cost, I have seen there are wonderful CDs, DVDs and books to learn Armenian...but since I don't have a credit card...so I use all I can find and manage myself with that.
            I wish I could send you some books. Because a method is giving you a direction at least... I don't know if it's possible from here all the way to Ecuador?

Լավ է, ես ջանալու եմ Լուսին ջան...շատ շնորհակալություն բոլորի համար.

I wanted just to ask something for today, sorry it's not in Armenian but I don't know that much yet to ask something like this...but I will try I promise

How do you know where to use the question mark when there is no question word? Do you put it where the stress is?
            Good question. It should be put where the stress is. Ex. կը սիրե՞ս. գիտէ՞ք.

With the question I just got to "Inchpes gites vortegh...." and I don't know if it's even right...sorry
            Oh yea it's fine. You cannot learn the correct way unless you get a chance to talk and you are corrected.

Thanks Lucin for all your help

Բարի գիշեր
            Բարի գիշեր
            Last edited by Lucin; 10-23-2009, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I wish I could send you some books. Because a method is giving you a direction at least... I don't know if it's possible from here all the way to Ecuador?
              I don't think so, we don't have connections so far...maybe through France and then here, but don't worry Lucin with all your help and the things I've found I think I have much material...I only need lots of practice and a good memory to remember

Good question. It should be put where the stress is. Ex. կը սիրե՞ս. գիտէ՞ք.
              Ok thanks Lucin, I had much trouble at guessing if I don't have a question word

Oh yea it's fine. You cannot learn the correct way unless you get a chance to talk and you are corrected.
              I know I will try now...
              OK
              Ի՞նչ օգուտը "Ինչպիսի" է: Ես գիտեմ նշանակությունը "such as" է, բայց ե՞րբ գիտես որտեղ է օգտագործել....իսկ իմ հարցում այստեղ է ...

how's everything? I think I am wrong....

Բարի գիշեր
              Բարի գիշեր Լուզին ջան

Comment

I don't think so, we don't have connections so far...maybe through France and then here, but don't worry Lucin with all your help and the things I've found I think I have much material...I only need lots of practice and a good memory to remember
                Okay I'll think about it but I'm trying to find a link to a book available on google which Yerazhishda had posted a while ago.

I know I will try now...
                OK
                Ինչպէ՞ս են գործածում "Ինչպիսի" բառը: Ես գիտեմ նշանակությունը "such as" է, բայց ե՞րբ գիտես որտեղ օգտագործել....իսկ իմ հարցումը այստեղ է ...

how's everything? I think I am wrong....
                It depends on the context. Like when you say "ինչպիսի՞ են գրում այս բառը:" or "չգիտենք Ինչպիսի նա կը գնայ:" it means 'how'. But in "մի շարք արեւմտեան երկրներ ինչպիսին են՝ Ամերիկան եւ Անգլիան դեմ են համաձայնագրին:" as you can see it means 'such as'. I don't know if this answers your question?

And I just made a few correction in your writing in the quote.

Բարի գիշեր Լուզին ջան
                It should be with a 'ս' not 'զ'.
                Last edited by Lucin; 10-25-2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much Lucin, yes I understood it all.

But could you explain me something? Like I've been a lot of question words...I just wanted to ask when do you use "Inchpes" and "Inchpisi", and when do you use "Inchqan" because I think they are used for different situations.

Also I wanted to ask where do I use "ը" in words that don't need the definite article?

Thanks Lucin, oh and sorry for your name I just thought It was with "z"

Comment

Thanks very much Lucin, yes I understood it all.

But could you explain me something? Like I've been a lot of question words...I just wanted to ask when do you use "Inchpes" and "Inchpisi",
                    This is a really good question. I thought about it. I'm going to develop it here a bit. When you use ինչպիսի it is usually followed by a noun and it means 'what kind of' in English. Like «Ինչպիսի՞ կրթութիւն ես ստացել:» or «Ինչպիսի՞ ծրագիրներ ես դիտում:» While Ինչպէս means usually 'how' in English. For example; «Ինչպէ՞ ս ես ուզում գնալ Հայաստան:» or «Ինչպէ՞ ս է գրւում այս բառը:». Of course sometimes they can be used in affirmative sentences and not as questions words. Like «Ինչպէս էլ կարդաս չեմ հասկանայ:» in this case it is more like 'however' in English. Hope it's clear.

and when do you use "Inchqan" because I think they are used for different situations.
                    Ինչքան would be like 'how much'. For instance; «Ինչքա՞ն ես գրել:» (interrogation) «Ինչքան շատ է խոսում:» (affirmative)

Also I wanted to ask where do I use "ը" in words that don't need the definite article?
                    I need to think about this one. But one case would be with subject usually. Like when you say «writing is more important than reading»; you should write «գրելը աւելի դժւար է կարդալուց:»

Comment

This is a really good question. I thought about it. I'm going to develop it here a bit. When you use ինչպիսի it is usually followed by a noun and it means 'what kind of' in English. Like «Ինչպիսի՞ կրթութիւն ես ստացել:» or «Ինչպիսի՞ ծրագիրներ ես դիտում:» While Ինչպէս means usually 'how' in English. For example; «Ինչպէ՞ ս ես ուզում գնալ Հայաստան:» or «Ինչպէ՞ ս է գրւում այս բառը:». Of course sometimes they can be used in affirmative sentences and not as questions words. Like «Ինչպէս էլ կարդաս չեմ հասկանայ:» in this case it is more like 'however' in English. Hope it's clear.
                      Yeah it is clear Lucin, thanks a lot

Ինչքան would be like 'how much'. For instance; «Ինչքա՞ն ես գրել:» (interrogation) «Ինչքան շատ է խոսում:» (affirmative)
                      Yeah I understand its use, but I have doubts in what the sentence says...does it say "How much do you write?" and the answer "As much as speaking"? Don't got it quite right.

I need to think about this one. But one case would be with subject usually. Like when you say «writing is more important than reading»; you should write «գրելը աւելի դժւար է կարդալուց:»
                      Thanks Lucin I have much trouble with knowing where does the article goes.

I wanted to ask you what these two words mean "ըստ" and "մըն". I looked in the dictionaries I could found and the only I got was "prepositions/pospositions". I guess they don't have a meaning, do they do some change in the sentences when added?

Well Lucin now I have some expression question, if you don't mind:
                      OK I've read this phrase "Ծավտ տանեմ", I originally throught it was "I carry pain" but I don't think it is correct...could you help me?

And also, what word do you use when you want to say like "Well,..." "So,..."?

Thank you very much, Bari gisher yev bari yerazner Lusin jan
                      Last edited by ashot24; 11-01-2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X