Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learning Armenian from Armenian people

Thanks Lucin. Conversational Armenian is really confusing me! It's so awkward writing differently than we speak (beyond what you would for other languages in terms of not using slang and in general using more formal language).
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Լուսին ջա՜ն...շատ շատ շնորհակալություն քո օգնության համար

Thanks Lucin, I really appreciate it. And your right I love languages, that's why I am studying linguistics at college

And as we should say in Spanish...muchas gracias amiga

Comment

Originally posted by ashot24 View Post
        Լուսին ջա՜ն...շատ շատ շնորհակալություն քո օգնության համար
        Խնդրեմ: Ուրախ եմ որ օգտւեցիր: Բայց դրանով չի վերջանում քանի որ հայերէնը շատ խորը, մանրակրկիտ եւ տրամաբանական լեզու է:

Thanks Lucin, I really appreciate it. And your right I love languages, that's why I am studying linguistics at college
        Yea, I could tell that!

And as we should say in Spanish...muchas gracias amiga
        I can understand. This is pretty close to Italian!

P.S. Considering that you're studying linguistics, I'd strongly recommend you reading the works of our greatest linguist, Hrachia Ajaraian. He is brilliant.
        Last edited by Lucin; 09-18-2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
          Խնդրեմ: Ուրախ եմ որ օգտւեցիր: Բայց դրանով չի վերջանում քանի որ հայերէնը շատ խորը, մանրակրկիտ եւ տրամաբանական լեզու է:
          Ես գիտեմ Լուսին ջան: Ես ներդնեմ շատ շատ ջանք, որովհետեւ ես ուզեմ Հայերեն շատ լավ խոսել

hehe, did I said that right? any mistakes?

I can understand. This is pretty close to Italian!

P.S. Considering that you're studying linguistics, I'd strongly recommend you reading the works of our greatest linguist, Hrachia Ajaraian. He is brilliant.
          Ohhh lei parla italiano???

I know actually, I did my one of my last semester's class final essay about the work he did on investigating the etymology of the Armenian language. What I think I achieved the most, besides of course the knowledge I got on my investigation, is the fact that when I finished my teacher said "Wow, this is very interesting...I have never heard much of that language...I thought it was a dead tongue" and one of my classmates said "Wow so you're Armenian!? Oh that explains the name...I thought you were Arabic"

EDIT: Oh yeah Lucin, after I asked you whether or not "Jan" is used to express emotion and stuff, I found the article where I found that well...hehe...I like Eurovision very much and I supported Inga & Anush all the way, so I got to read many many interviews...so they were asked what does their song's name "Jan Jan" meant...

What is the translation of 'Jan Jan' in English?

Anush: "Jan" means "dear" in Armenian. We also say "jan" to express happiness, it's something like "yeey!"
          So here's the article if you're interested, I was trying to find more about the word but this is the only place where I read it was used in that way

Last edited by ashot24; 09-19-2009, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Ես գիտեմ Լուսին ջան: Ես կը ներդնեմ շատ շատ ջանք, որովհետեւ ես ուզեմ եմ Հայերեն շատ լավ խոսել

hehe, did I said that right? any mistakes?
            Not big ones I just added them in your quote.

Ohhh lei parla italiano???
            E tu parle armeno, inglese, spagnolo e italiano, vero?

I know actually, I did my one of my last semester's class final essay about the work he did on investigating the etymology of the Armenian language. What I think I achieved the most, besides of course the knowledge I got on my investigation, is the fact that when I finished my teacher said "Wow, this is very interesting...I have never heard much of that language...I thought it was a dead tongue" and one of my classmates said "Wow so you're Armenian!? Oh that explains the name...I thought you were Arabic"
            That's great, Ashot. This is the best way to make our culture known to the world.

EDIT: Oh yeah Lucin, after I asked you whether or not "Jan" is used to express emotion and stuff, I found the article where I found that well...hehe...I like Eurovision very much and I supported Inga & Anush all the way, so I got to read many many interviews...so they were asked what does their song's name "Jan Jan" meant...

So here's the article if you're interested, I was trying to find more about the word but this is the only place where I read it was used in that way

Oh yea it's true. It's a way of expressing positive strong emotions especially in songs, like 'hey jan', 'jan jan' etc. In every day conversations however, it is really rare. For instance, I can say "jaan shat anush er." In this last example I'm expressing my emotions and in my opinion it's more like feminine language, used more widely by women.
            Last edited by Lucin; 09-19-2009, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Oh yea it's true. It's a way of expressing positive strong emotions especially in songs, like 'hey jan', 'jan jan' etc. In every day conversations however, it is really rare. For instance, I can say "jaan shat anush er." In this last example I'm expressing my emotions and in my opinion it's more like feminine language, used more widely by women.
              Ahhh.... feminine language, this concept is lost in the west
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                Ahhh.... feminine language, this concept is lost in the west
                Yea, but I do not feel a bit like I belong in there. But in all seriousness, some experts believe the feminine language does not exist indeed. I am not with them, though.
                Last edited by Lucin; 09-19-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Yea, but I do not feel a bit like I belong in there. But in all seriousness, some experts believe the feminine language does not exist indeed. I am not with them, though.
                  I think there is more of a "feminine dialect" ruled by laws of speech, grammar and vocabulary rather than a feminine language. It's like listening to another dialect! For example sometimes, in whatever language it is, when I listen to women speaking to each other, it's so cool to see how with one look, or with one words that men can think is "meaningless" they understand each other and laugh...it's so cool! And women have differnet voice tones. very variate, for the situation they are in...but men have only a few. At least I think so...
                  But anyways, Girls rock!
                  Oh and thanks Lucin for explaining me the "Jan" thing , I have to tell you that I was using it alot in my classes...instead of saying "Yay!" I said "Jan!"

E tu parle armeno, inglese, spagnolo e italiano, vero?
                  Si, un po 'armeno, spagnolo fluente, inglese fluente e po 'Italiano
                  Quante lingue si parlano?

Ես գիտեմ Լուսին ջան: Ես կը ներդնեմ շատ շատ ջանք, որովհետեւ ես ուզեմ եմ Հայերեն շատ լավ խոսել

Not big ones I just added them in your quote.
                  Thanks Lucin , oh but I couldn't help confusing myself a little bit
                  Well, I have always seen this word "կը" basically in Western Armenian, and I don't think I've seen it in Eastern...for example, in EA we say "Սիրում եմ քեզ:" and in WA we say "Կը սիրեմ քեզ:"...I really thought this was something that WAs used...could you please explain me its use? how it works? and what it means Lucin?

And the second one, in this phrase : "ես ուզեմ եմ" I made it shorter intentionally from "ես ուզում եմ" to "ես ուզեմ"...because I thought this could be done with almost all verbs...is my thinking all right? Can we short the words and change the verb ending "-um" for the pronoun-verb ending, like "-em/-es/-e"?

Thank you very very much Lucin jan

Comment

I think there is more of a "feminine dialect" ruled by laws of speech, grammar and vocabulary rather than a feminine language. It's like listening to another dialect! For example sometimes, in whatever language it is, when I listen to women speaking to each other, it's so cool to see how with one look, or with one words that men can think is "meaningless" they understand each other and laugh...it's so cool! And women have differnet voice tones. very variate, for the situation they are in...but men have only a few. At least I think so...
                    But anyways, Girls rock!
                    Sure!

But there is a 'feminine language'. Language here does not mean a seperate set of rules with a different syntax, morphology, etc. It's just the way we use it, for instance, we tend to use much more interjections or expressions of surprise, fear, sadness, etc. I speak differently to my kind from when I speak to a man. And it comes quite naturally.

Si, un po 'armeno, spagnolo fluente, inglese fluente e po 'Italiano
                    Quante lingue si parlano?
                    Chi?

Thanks Lucin , oh but I couldn't help confusing myself a little bit
                    Well, I have always seen this word "կը" basically in Western Armenian, and I don't think I've seen it in Eastern...for example, in EA we say "Սիրում եմ քեզ:" and in WA we say "Կը սիրեմ քեզ:"...I really thought this was something that WAs used...could you please explain me its use? how it works? and what it means Lucin?
                    No, it's not uniquely a WA thing, though the tenses/ moods are translated differently in the dialects. In EA, կը սիրեմ/ կը գրեմ / կը բերեմ would fit in the future conditional mood. I just thought you wanted to use the conditional, but you could have said; շատ ջանք եմ ներդնում: That would be of course the present indicative mood.

And the second one, in this phrase : "ես ուզեմ եմ" I made it shorter intentionally from "ես ուզում եմ" to "ես ուզեմ"...because I thought this could be done with almost all verbs...is my thinking all right? Can we short the words and change the verb ending "-um" for the pronoun-verb ending, like "-em/-es/-e"?
                    Sorry, I didn't notice you had said "ուզեմ". That is wrong again. No shortening is allowed. You should say "ես ուզում եմ" or "ուզում եմ", omitting the subject.
                    Last edited by Lucin; 09-20-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Chi?
                      Tu

No, it's not uniquely a WA thing, though the tenses/ moods are translated differently in the dialects. In EA, կը սիրեմ/ կը գրեմ / կը բերեմ would fit in the future conditional mood. I just thought you wanted to use the conditional, but you could have said; շատ ջանք եմ ներդնում: That would be of course the present indicative mood.
                      Ok thanks Lucin, that helps a lot...sorry for the unknowledge

Sorry, I didn't notice you had said "ուզեմ". That is wrong again. No shortening is allowed. You should say "ես ուզում եմ" or "ուզում եմ", omitting the subject.
                      Ok, So i have been doing it wrong...thanks!! You really help me a lot

Thanks Lucin!

Comment

Working...
                      X